Thread: [II] Feature Preview 6: Imperial Support

Harbinger of... saliva Member alpaca's Avatar

Default [II] Feature Preview 6: Imperial Support

Italia Invicta Feature Preview #6: Imperial Support

Hello and welcome to our next preview.
    First of all, I have an exhilarating announcement to make: We finally found a skinner for our mod, and an excellent one at that! His name is ev1 and his first work for our mod is intriguing new skins for the Varangian Guard unit (he also made the above banner).
    Varangian guards also play a huge role in the feature I want to talk about today: The Imperial Support request.
    This feature is inspired by the fact that Roman Emperors would frequently lead campaigns in their outlying themata, such as southern Italy, and would even more often send part of the imperial armies to help when the local strategos was in trouble.

As the Catapan (katepanos) of Italy, you are the first and foremost ruler over the Greek territories on our map, only surpassed by the Emperor himself; therefore it is both your privilege and your duty to protect and sustain the provinces in your charge.
    Sometimes, however, you may not be able to defend your holdings only with the local resources you can muster. In this case, you will have the opportunity to request support from the Emperor himself, who will then send an army to aid you in your struggle.

In gameplay terms, this translates to a special application of the levy script. As long as you control at least one Royal Demesne settlement, you can trigger this feature and receive fresh, well-trained forces a turn later. These forces will be quite expensive to maintain, however, so you won't wish to keep them in the field them for longer than necessary.
    Using the feature has other drawbacks, too: Summoning the imperial army is seen as a sign of weakness, and will therefore increase unrest in your cities and be detrimental to your diplomatic situation.
    In addition to that, you won't be able to invoke it very often, you'll probably not see it more than a few times in your campaign. The Emperor is especially resilient to support aggressive moves on your part, it'll be easier to get his help when your settlements are directly threatened.

This very interesting and useful feature is one of the few ways to get your faction-specific elite units for the Catapanate. They're quite rare and for most of the time you will have to rely on local levies and your well-trained standard infantry units.
    One of these elite units is of course the Varangian Guard, the Emperor's loyal bodyguard of Rus and Viking mercenaries which was instated in the 10th century as a replacement for the chronically disloyal traditional bodyguard, which often would be all too involved in the palace intrigues that haunted the Eastern Roman Empire through all of its existence, and grew ever more important over the next centuries.

To conclude this preview, ev1 made some screenshots of the promised Varangians (and a signature banner as promo material). I'm really astonished about how good they look!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

[II] Feature Preview 1: View City
    [II] Feature Preview 2: Degrees of Independence
    [II/AD] Feature Preview 3: Authority
    [II] Feature Preview 4: The Levy Script
    [II] Feature Preview 5: Scalable Difficulty

Default Re: [II] Feature Preview 6: Imperial Support

Looks great! I had no idea this mod existed!
    I love Byzantium and strongly support your mod!
    Vuk
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

ditto Vuk

FOR BYZANTINE

Hmm on retrospection I think the banner violates the .orgs rules for signature banners. They have to have a file size of 10k or less, so please don't use the banner here

optimized it to be under 10k

The Anno Domini MXVI team is looking for members. Visit our forums.

Yeah the problem is that you get really ugly artifacts when you do that

Lookin good guys! This mod is the sole reason I am going to buy M2TW

Wow! This is great! It will be possible for player that receive military help from few times also, as random or planned script, maybe depending on reputation or similar. Independently of calling for help.