Thread: 'Elite' status of units

Default 'Elite' status of units

In another thread, in the MP forum, i think, there was a mention of routing peasants affecting the rest of your army's morale. That brought me the following doubt: Does it affect any unit, or is there a differenciating factor in it.

Now, i remember that back at MTW1 there was this attribute called 'elite unit'. The attribute meant that said unit's morale was not affected if a non-elite unit routed. For example: JHI would not have their morale affected if some peasants rout in front of them.

So the query is if this status was indeed lost in the RTW / MTW2 battle engine.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    <rant mode>
    I just feel i need to state this as a MTW vet:

To be honest, i just plain can't believe how CA passed from having such a great battle engine in STW / MTW to having a rather weaker one in RTW / MTW2. Sure, we gained a lot, and i mean a LOT of eye candy, but the overall battle performance of the battle engine is not on par with its predecessor. Maybe not even close
    </rant mode>
    Proud member of the Cavarly Association of Commanders
    From MTW:Turks, Egyptians to MTW2: Turks again!. Passing through RTW: Scythia, Sarmatia/Baktria(this was in RTR, right?) and BI: Sarmatia, again!
    What?? Sign above the dotted line?? of course!

Default Re: 'Elite' status of units

I also liked that feature and it made sence, think it's removed though:(

I wouldn't understand why they would cut it out, it would make a hell of a lot of sense to just "copy and paste" various code like the elite status as well as some others.
    Work, Girlfriend, Responsibilities, Reality, Kids, and MTW - all things in life make life worth living.

Edit October 17th, 2007
    Work-Still hate it but I appreciate having it more now.
    Girlfriend - ? - looks like I am helping Nga now. Miss sex though.
    Responsibilities, Too many bills to too little money
    Reality - (Censored)
    Kids - My son is improving a little bit each day, still far behind but I may have more kids in the future.
    MTW - Kingdoms installed but...Urggg, too soon.
    ----------------
    Conclusion, Life is worth Living now.

I don't know whether it's in but at a sufficient morale level the impact should be rather low, say if a unit loses two points of morale for a routing neighbor, then losing 2 of 12 would be a lot less than losing 2 of 4 morale. Does make sense to me since a little bit of an effect should be there even for elites.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Husar
    I don't know whether it's in but at a sufficient morale level the impact should be rather low, say if a unit loses two points of morale for a routing neighbor, then losing 2 of 12 would be a lot less than losing 2 of 4 morale. Does make sense to me since a little bit of an effect should be there even for elites.
    I agree with you...

Elite status and high morale are (or at least were) two separate things:
    There's a lot of units with 'excellent morale' that were not classified as elite. Ghazis and other religious fanatics are an example of this

Some others were elite, but had regular morale, such as Gendarmes, or Faris, or kwarazmian cav

Elite status was a guarantee the your unit would stand fast when the more 'peasant -like' ones ran. Maybe, if some people disagree on removing the morale penalty completely, it could be considered as a reduced penalty. I still think the elite status made sense, and that it added another degree of strategy, both in single palyer and multiplayer.
    Proud member of the Cavarly Association of Commanders
    From MTW:Turks, Egyptians to MTW2: Turks again!. Passing through RTW: Scythia, Sarmatia/Baktria(this was in RTR, right?) and BI: Sarmatia, again!
    What?? Sign above the dotted line?? of course!