Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The War of The Spanish Succession/Great Northern War

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The War of The Spanish Succession/Great Northern War

Quote Originally Posted by Franconicus
    Right!

So there is still Austria and Spain. Could not find anything.

So let me guess :

Austria is certainly stronger than Bavaria or Brandenburg and certainly weaker than France. It has armies in the west, in the east and in the south. I assume that the total strength of its armies at war including contingents from its non Austrian counties should be 90,000 to 120,000.

The Austrian also command forces of the Empire. I think these came more or less from the smaler duchies, and only if those agree. I think the minor duchies (like Holstein or Hannover or Würtemberg may have around 5,000 each.

Spain does not seem to have a big army. It is no longer a superpower. The population is small, (many left the country and went to the new world) and the finances are ruined by the wars against France. The trade monopoles are breaking (slaves!!!).

My guess is that Spain has about 30,000 soldiers at Spain and another 20,000 at Italy. I guess it mayb be able to raise many militia. Additionally, it has a significant numbers of soldiers in the colonies, but these are hard to rate.

Do you have a better idea?

Yea, I was able to find the Leaders of Austira and that, but can't find how big my miltiary force is and such.

DoH: Will there be an end of the game, a year when the story reaches its end? Will there be targets for the players?
    Yes the end date will be 1730 I will post the details of the victory conditions in a couple seconds with the rules post.

Good anylaisis of strength Franc, I think bout 100,000 plus troops from the smaller duchies would be a good estaimate for Austria. For spain I am less sure, swordsmaster should have a better idea although 50k dosn't seem to far off.

Austria: ???
    Bavaria: 11,000
    Brandenburg: 7,000
    Denmark: 35,000 (+5,000 of Norway)
    Dutch: 90,000
    England: 25,000
    France: 400,000
    Kursachsen: 30,000 (Poland had no permanent army?)
    Russia: 35,000
    Spain: ???
    Sweden: 77,000
    Otto Emp.: 320,000
    A commen number for Poland/Saxony I've heard is about 100,000 once they've got thier army mobilized and fully put in the field.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Rules:

The turn will start with me posting a narration of what happened last turn. After the description I will post a series of decisions that you need to make this turn. You are welcome to use any of the suggestion that will be posted under it or make your own course of action as long as it is historically possible. You are not limited to the decision topics and may branch out and may change anything else you want. Be warned that all actions have their consequences.

Examples of actions that you will make include:

In the public thread:

A. Public declarations of war
    B. Propaganda, this can effect public option in the story.
    C. Changes in your government or official stances
    D. Diplomacy

In PM. (Note: some info may leak)

A. Starting a war without a public declaration
    B. Private diplomacy with other leaders by P.M. Note that I will play all Non Player Factions (NPF's)
    C. Military plans: You can be as broad as you want (attack X city) or make complicated plans.
    D. Military reforms and government reforms

Declaring a Winner

In this interactive there will be multiable winners in four different categories. Who ever holds one of these categories at the games end (1730) will be declared a winner. The categories and there current holders are:

Master of the Baltic: Sweden
    Dominant Continental Power: France
    Dominant Colonial Power: Holland
    The power in the east: Ottomans

The master of the Baltic title will go to the most powerful nation in the Baltic sea region. This will be determined by both wealth and military might. Dominant continental power will be rewarded to the nation holding the most power and influence in Western and Central Europe. The third victory title will be measured by both the number of colonies and the wealth of the said colonies. Ability to control the trade routs between these will also be crucial in determining the winner. Lastly the power of the east is mainly focused on south-eastern Europe and will be determined by the nation with the most influence in the Balkans, Turkey and the Black Sea. Please note that it will be possible for one nation to achieve more then one of these goals. At the begaining of every year (every four turns) I will post a list updating the status of each victory condition.
    Last edited by Lord Winter; 08-03-2007 at 18:23.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Question:

Right now, at the onset of the game, have Saxony/Poland, Russia and Denmark officially declared war on me, after their Treaty of Preobrazhenskoye?
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Offiacaly no, you are at peace. Historicaly Saxony attacks in Febuary and Denmark in march. Russia dosn't follow untill the summer.
    -Stephen Crane

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Kingdom of Denmark and Norway

King Frederick IV of Denmark and Norway
    Diplomatic Stances
    The Kingdom of Denmark has recently signed the Treaty of Preobrazhenskoye with the rulers of Saxony and Russia. This is an alliance which places them opposed to the King of Sweden.

Royal Marriages
    Currently Frederick has no daughters, and only one son, Christian VI who is one year old. This means he is largely unable to effect Dynastic marriages. He does however have blood relations with Charles XII of Sweden and Frederick IV, Duke of Holstein-Gottorp, who are both his First Cousins and both waged war on his father.

Claims
    Apart from the territory it already owns, Denmark was always looking for a way to seize hold of Holstein-Gottorp, as well as southern Sweden.

Economy
    I really can't find anything for this, except that Danish culture and trade somewhat flourished after the first part of the War.

I currently have a population of about 2/3 of a million, including Norway I blieve. This is mostly agricultural. However, I do control part of the crossing into and out of the Baltic Sea, meaning I can threaten to close the passes off if I wish.

Army
    About 40 000 soldiers at this time. They are decent soldiers, but nowhere near as good as Sweden. They are armed with a flintlock weapon and a long infantry sword. There is also a small Grenadier group in the army.

Navy

I can't really find anything. It is smaller than the Swedish Navy, though it is likely to have a fiar amount of experience.

Problems
    Freerick is the only known Danish King to have two wives a the same time.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Blog Entries

I see if I can finish my Austria thing by SUnday. I can't find anything about my army online.

Don't worry about it to much KingWarman, it's intented to give players some background information on the setting of the interactive before we start. You can do a decent job playing just off the information in the chapters.
    -Stephen Crane

Professional Cynic Member Innocentius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    Of the Swedish Empire and her noble rulers, the Vasa Dynasty
    The last Vasa regent was Queen Kristina (1644 - 1654). Charles was of the family Pfalz (ruling Sweden since 1654), or House of Palatinate-Zweibrücken as it is in English.

Our army is relatively small
    Depends on what you mean. In relation to its population, Sweden anno 1700 had the largest army in Europe.

On artillery, might I add that during the first phase of the Great Northern War (1700 - 1707) Sweden only used a minimal amount of artillery. During the Russian campaign of 1708 - 1709 a lot more artillery was used however.
    It's not easy being a man, you know. I had to get dressed today... And there are other pressures.

- Dylan Moran

The Play

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer of Hope
    Don't worry about it to much KingWarman, it's intented to give players some background information on the setting of the interactive before we start. You can do a decent job playing just off the information in the chapters.

alright, I do my best to at least find the size of my army thoyugh

Hear ye, hear ye... word has reached his majesty, Charles XII, king of Sweden, Livonia, Pomerania, et. al, of a treaty enacted by Denmark, Saxony and Russia. In response to inquiries, this treaty has been represented as a pact of mutual-defense. While such an act is completely unnessary, Sweden has no ambitions on any foreign territory, we recognize and respect the right of nations to enter into defensive pacts. If that is truly all this document represents, it will most likely expire, never having come into affect.

However, if our suspicions prove true, and the true intent of this pact is indeed agression towards the mighty empire of Sweden, we warn you to turn back from this foolish course of action at once. While we are a peace-loving people at heart, we have no qualms with fixing bayonet to rifle and defending what is ours.

We also note for all to recognize the recent conversion of Augustus II of Saxony from Lutheran to Roman Catholic. We recognize that this conversion was done out of naked ambition for the Polish throne. We call upon all good Reformist followers of Christ, in Denmark, Saxony, Sweden, the United Provinces, the United Kingdom to stand firm and hold to the Peace of Augsburg! If Augustus II turns Catholic, how long before the Pope has his hands in the politics of London? Of Amsterdam? of Copenhagen? What did we fight about for those long, bloody, 30 years if not to check the power of the ever-treacherous agents from Rome and Vienna?

Men of Saxony, we call upon you as good Christian men, resist your corrupt elector and his lies. Remember, Satan makes excellent promises of glory as well. But on judgement day, let your soul be clean, with the conscience of a saint dwelling in your heart. We will support you as you throw off the shackles of yet another Papist plot. Rise against Augustus and Sweden will join you in making Europe God's kingdom on Earth once again.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Last Addmendment to the Rules

Fog of War
    To repersent the somewhat uncertainity of information in this time, the troop numbers in the chapter will be just vauge estaimtes. While the general numbers and events will be correct only the nations of the said army will know the exact numbers. To a second degree the nations neighbuers will have a better idea about the exact numbers of the army and any major troop movements or concentrations. This is to repersent the spy's and increased trade that allow more rumors to come through. For example Saxony marches an army and takes Riga, if that army had a real strength of 40,000 the general report may list it at 46,000. Sweden, Russia, Austria and Brandenburg may have the strength listed at 42,000. Ruses can increase this number subject once again to logistical abillity. Examples of major movements informed of would be Saxony gathering an army in Dresden, once again Austria Sweden Russia, Denmark and Brandenburg would know that there was a army based their just not how many men, untill it enters the scope of events and thus the chapters.
    -Stephen Crane

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer of Hope
    A commen number for Poland/Saxony I've heard is about 100,000 once they've got thier army mobilized and fully put in the field.

100,000 is also a number I've come across.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

7000 seems a little weak...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Yah, even my 40 000 seems to be on the slim side...
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

A Message to the Kingdom of England and the United Netherlands

Dear King,

You have found yourself in a most unusual and outrageously unnatural situation. You have come into possession of the United Netherlands, a land that has enjoyed its freedom for many years.

With this has come great power and wealth to you. Your naval vessels trade far and wide, reaching both the West and East Indies and even arriving in my own home port of Copenhagen.

Yet with this power comes threats.

All of the great powers of Europe fear for the people of Ireland, who have most recently come under your terrible yoke. You insisted on conquering the several Soverieng nations that made up Ireland. This is a most unfortunate thing.

Now you find yourself with the United Netherlands under your control. With this comes the greratest Navy in the World. This is a threat to all of the Sovereigns in the World! It is a situation that God did not intend, that much everyone must admit.

Further, your heightened wealth could only be put to one use. That is the conquest of all nations of the World, including my people. I have a responsibility to them to ensure that you do not set one foot on Danish soil.

For these aformentioned reasons, Denmark announces that it will put in place an embargo on the English and the UNited Netherlands until England renounces its claim on the throne of the Netherlands. The minute this is announced, English ships will eb able to enter the port of Copenhagen.

I would like to stress that this is not an outright Declaration of War and as such the Nations of Europe have nothing to lose by joining me in my endeavours.

Frederick IV,
    King of Denmark and Norway

CA:
    Get your history right:
    1. Willem III is Dutch to start with, he is not English
    2. He claims no throne, both are legally accepted

If you want to go at war with me and Tran you'd better come up with a proper reason

1. Willem III is Dutch to start with, he is not English
    Then the English should get their own King. There is no need to bring the two great naval powers of Europe together at the cost of all others.

2. He claims no throne, both are legally accepted
    I relinquish this point, but it changes nothing. The Embargo stands.

Willem III:

As stadhouder of the Republic I can say that your points are missing everything. First of all I'm the legal King of England, I happen to have married an English princess, she became Queen, so they made me King. I am the only legal ruler of both countries accepted by the wide world.
    Next to that, you'll be happy to know I'm childless, that means that when I die both countries will need to seek for a new ruler, and I doubt they will choose the same. But I'm not dead yet.

BTW, if you don't want to trade I can easely arrange that your ports are blockaded, no problem whatsoever.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Senseless aggression is not needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

William, be reasonable. By laying claim to the Dutch lands as stadholder and the British lands as king through your marriage, you effectively control a navy that unbalances all trade within Europe. I find myself surprised, but convincingly so to agree with my cousin on this matter. Frederick is right, you cannot threaten the trade of other nations so nakedly. Your intention to wield your command of the North Sea like a club was made immediately apparent with your outright threat against Frederick and the blockade of his ports. Even though he has formally entered into an alliance with Saxony and Russia, with the implied intent of depriving me of my lands, as a Baltic trader, I too must formally request a restoration of balance.

So long as the admiralties of both the United Provinces and the United Kingdom answer to you alone, so too will Sweden refuse to deal in commerce with either nation.

Strike for the South

A Message to the King of Sweden

Dear Cousin,

We have had our differences in the past, yet I am truly glad to hear of your levelheadedness in this matter. I shall drink a toast to our success and look forward to news of the King of England and the Netherlands abdicating his joint throne.

Willem III (note: this is Stig speaking as Holland, Tran is England):
    I lay no claim to anything. I've been elected stadholder, the people wanted me.
    Sides not being able to trade with Denmark and Sweden is not my problem. We already have everything we need, you need us to get the luxuries from the New World, or the spices from India. It's your own decision, know that. If your people become unhappy because the of the loss of luxuries that is not my problem.

Know this, you have created something that will cause more problem to you than to us. We have the goods we want, you need us to get them.
    Last edited by Stig; 08-05-2007 at 10:55.

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

First Naval Act:

To foster the national economy and trade, the French King announces that every foreign ship that enters one of the Mediterranean harbors of France, has to pay a 40% tax on the incoming and outcoming goods.

His majesty,Louis, King of France is not amused about the news from the Baltic Sea. Some countries form a defensive alliance which in return worries Sweden.

We would like to remember all countires to the terrible destruction of the 30 years war. Think twice before you start a new senseless war.

I offer all of you my help in this conflict.

Last edited by Franconicus; 08-05-2007 at 13:23.

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Announcement of His Catholic Majesty Carlos II Habsburg, King of Spain:

Since the unfortunate and unforeseen death of prince Joseph-Ferdinand of avaria the Crown has decided to name a new successor, who is to be Philippe, Duke of Anjou, and son of the King of France. He is to inherit all of our realms, powers, and privileges, and he should be a good King to his people.

All of the grandes of the Realm, as well as the owners of all banks, trade companies, and generals, admirals, and everyone who owns hereditary land should swear an oath of personal loyalty to the new Prince of Asturias who should be arriving to Spain shortly.

First Naval Decree:

In order to have continuity with the policy of the King of France, any vessel that is not of Spanish, French, or Ottoman nationality will be taxed at 45% of the value of the cargo it is carrying.

Diplomatic vessels are exempt from this decree, as well as the vessels from the domains of His Holiness.

Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Blog Entries

The Habsburg army
    Foundation of the Habsburg Army

One can say that the Habsburg army was founded when after the thirty years war the emperor decided to hang on to 24,500 men even though he was at peace. This new 'standing' army then first came into action in the war between Sweden and Poland (1655-1660). In 1663 and 1664 it fought the Turks, and after that it took part in the 'Guerre de Hollande' to 1679. Together with the Poles it then got the great victory over the Turks at the siege of Vienna in 1683. The subsequent campaign against the Turks led to conquest of Hungary by which Austria became a great power. The fact that the simultaneous campaign in the west ended less well was deplorable but not as significant as the annexation of Hungary.
    The support for the Habsburg Army

http://www.spanishsuccession.nl/armies.html
    fyi

Blog Entries

To Charles XII of Sweden:

I, Leopold I, has had the emissaries of Poland/Saxony came to my Capital requesting a alliance, which I accpected. I Meet Augustus not to long Ago personally, and I felt uneasy of what he told me. From What I understand, you threated him into not provoking a war. Also, I found out now that you are spreading progranda into Saxony from what I understand, in order for them to rebel against Augustus!

If you deice to Military launch any sort of Action against Sweden, we will have no choice to laugh a offensive to Sweden itself, and I will personally bring you head back to Austria! Our Forces have been alerted. Be careful Charles!

Leopold I of Austria

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by {BHC}KingWarman888
    The Habsburg army
    Foundation of the Habsburg Army

One can say that the Habsburg army was founded when after the thirty years war the emperor decided to hang on to 24,500 men even though he was at peace. This new 'standing' army then first came into action in the war between Sweden and Poland (1655-1660). In 1663 and 1664 it fought the Turks, and after that it took part in the 'Guerre de Hollande' to 1679. Together with the Poles it then got the great victory over the Turks at the siege of Vienna in 1683. The subsequent campaign against the Turks led to conquest of Hungary by which Austria became a great power. The fact that the simultaneous campaign in the west ended less well was deplorable but not as significant as the annexation of Hungary.
    The support for the Habsburg Army

http://www.spanishsuccession.nl/armies.html
    fyi
    Cool link, thanks!
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Hear ye, hear ye... word has reached his majesty, Charles XII, king of Sweden, Livonia, Pomerania, et. al, of a treaty enacted by Denmark, Saxony and Russia. In response to inquiries, this treaty has been represented as a pact of mutual-defense. While such an act is completely unnessary, Sweden has no ambitions on any foreign territory, we recognize and respect the right of nations to enter into defensive pacts. If that is truly all this document represents, it will most likely expire, never having come into affect.

However, if our suspicions prove true, and the true intent of this pact is indeed agression towards the mighty empire of Sweden, we warn you to turn back from this foolish course of action at once. While we are a peace-loving people at heart, we have no qualms with fixing bayonet to rifle and defending what is ours.

We also note for all to recognize the recent conversion of Augustus II of Saxony from Lutheran to Roman Catholic. We recognize that this conversion was done out of naked ambition for the Polish throne. We call upon all good Reformist followers of Christ, in Denmark, Saxony, Sweden, the United Provinces, the United Kingdom to stand firm and hold to the Peace of Augsburg! If Augustus II turns Catholic, how long before the Pope has his hands in the politics of London? Of Amsterdam? of Copenhagen? What did we fight about for those long, bloody, 30 years if not to check the power of the ever-treacherous agents from Rome and Vienna?

Men of Saxony, we call upon you as good Christian men, resist your corrupt elector and his lies. Remember, Satan makes excellent promises of glory as well. But on judgement day, let your soul be clean, with the conscience of a saint dwelling in your heart. We will support you as you throw off the shackles of yet another Papist plot. Rise against Augustus and Sweden will join you in making Europe God's kingdom on Earth once again.

I do not appreciate such blatent lies being spread about my person. Are we not all brothers and sisters in Christ? As Boleslaus II proved in the 11th Century, not even the Church's agents were safe from the power of the Polish throne. Besides, the last I checked, Augustus, not Innocent, bishop of Rome, was King of Poland.

The offer of the Swedish monarchy to aid in any rebellious activity in Saxony is, in my view, an outright proclamation of aggression against our peaceful nation.

Blog Entries

To The Swiss Confederation:

I, Leapold I, would like to open a trade argeement with the Swiss Confederation, Along with a Allaince. I know they are netual, unless provoked, Although I think a allaince with benefit us.

Leopold I

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast