Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Video Game Characters

Default Sv: Re: Sv: Re: Video Game Characters

Tommy I think his name was.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Default Re: Video Game Characters

Most people seem to be thinking in terms of playable avatars, but as with the movies, I think the "character" roles are usually more memorable and interesting than the leading ones.

Five of my favorites:

(1) SHODAN from System Shock 2 - surely best villain ever?

(2) Jack from Vampires Bloodlines - his dialogue and voice acting in the tutorial was better than all of the dialogue and voice acting in most other full games. Rather impressive when he comes out of the box, too.

(3) Bastila from KOTOR1 - surely best computer "romance" ever? Sweetly flirtatious with what Evelyn Waugh described as a "batsqueak of sexuality". (Well, I guess that costume is more of an elephant roar of raging male teenage hormones, but I'm talking about the writing/acting...).

(4) Kreia from KOTOR2 - surely the most unlikely computer game character ever? A well spoken, severe, elderly female teacher. But also one of the best written and acted.

(5) Minsc from BG2 - a cartoon role, I suppose, but a glorious one.

Chief Biscuit Monitor Member professorspatula's Avatar

Jet Set Willy. The King of cool. The chap doesn't even need any dialogue. Just needs to leap around a bit and tackle insane obstacles like the Banyan Tree. Contest over. Next subject.

Actually I'm surprised there's been no Zelda references, or Duke Nukem. Then again the Duke has been in hiding for years whilst suffering from 'roid rage. He doesn't deserve any credit.
    Improving the TW Series one step at a time:

BI Extra Hordes & Unlocked Factions Mod: Available here.

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by econ21
    (3) Bastila from KOTOR1 - surely best computer "romance" ever? Sweetly flirtatious with what Evelyn Waugh described as a "batsqueak of sexuality". (Well, I guess that costume is more of an elephant roar of raging male teenage hormones, but I'm talking about the writing/acting...).
    I prefer the Viconia romance from BG2, myself. I had to install a lesbian mod just to get it though

Quote Originally Posted by professorspatula
    Actually I'm surprised there's been no Zelda references, or Duke Nukem. Then again the Duke has been in hiding for years whilst suffering from 'roid rage. He doesn't deserve any credit.
    The problem with Link is that more than half of the Zelda games out there contain a completely different Link than the previous ones.

Legend of Zelda
    Link's Adventure - a true sequel
    Link's Awakening - a true sequel
    Oracle of Ages/Seasons - ???
    A Link To The Past
    Ocarina of Time
    Majora's Mask - a true sequel
    Four Swords
    Wind Waker
    Phantom Hourglass - a true sequel
    Twilight Princess

As you can see, six games have a completely different Link and/or history of Hyrule. Link would be on my list if only they kept SOME form of continuity.
    (I havent played Oracle of Ages/Seasons much so I don't remember if they are sequels or not)

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

1. Falco
    2. Fox (LLyat Wars for both)
    3. Mario (Super Smash Brothers)
    4. Bloodseeker (dota [Warcraft 3]) (Strywgwr?)
    5. Sacred Warrior (dota [Warcraft 3]) (Huskar)
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Kekvit Irae
    The problem with Link is that more than half of the Zelda games out there contain a completely different Link than the previous ones.

Legend of Zelda
    Link's Adventure - a true sequel
    Link's Awakening - a true sequel
    Oracle of Ages/Seasons - ???
    A Link To The Past
    Ocarina of Time
    Majora's Mask - a true sequel
    Four Swords
    Wind Waker
    Phantom Hourglass - a true sequel
    Twilight Princess

As you can see, six games have a completely different Link and/or history of Hyrule. Link would be on my list if only they kept SOME form of continuity.
    (I havent played Oracle of Ages/Seasons much so I don't remember if they are sequels or not)
    Even if the games appeared not in proper chronological order, there is continuity in the story. I recall a time I was obsessed with finding it out together with all... "interesting" little things about the settings. I studied it, and eventually I stumbled upon some site whose address eludes me now. A most satisfactory and fascinating order it was indeed. If my memory serves me correctly, it appears OoT is supposed to be the first in the series.
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

Tommy, Paulie and just about every character from Mafia are all amazing, probably the closest imitation of "real-life" people I've ever seen implemented into a video game. In addition to being charming and hilarious. Very talented voice work, and love from the game makers, put into those guys.

My absolute favorite video game character though is called "The Stranger" from a video game from 1999 called Nocturne. He is an incredibly blunt, arrogant and extremely anti-social monster hunter from the 1930's and voiced by hands-down the very best voice actor I've ever heard.

This place called Mars... do you know of it?

Stanley Opar from Time Commando. I played this constantly when it came out and I was like young. It was simple yet difficult and I enjoyed it immensely while the graphics were decent and maybe above average back then.
    Time Commando Wiki
    "No one said it was gonna be easy! If it was, everyone would do it..that's who you know who really wants it."

All us men suffer in equal parts, it's our lot in life, and no man goes without a broken heart or a lost love. Like holding your dog as he takes his last breath and dies in your arms, it's a rite of passage. Unavoidable. And honestly, I can't imagine life without that depth of feeling.-Bierut

Quote Originally Posted by Bijo
    Even if the games appeared not in proper chronological order, there is continuity in the story. I recall a time I was obsessed with finding it out together with all... "interesting" little things about the settings. I studied it, and eventually I stumbled upon some site whose address eludes me now. A most satisfactory and fascinating order it was indeed. If my memory serves me correctly, it appears OoT is supposed to be the first in the series.
    Read the story in the little instruction manual included in Legend of Zelda for the NES, then play Ocarina of Time or A Link To The Past. One game has Link as a grown-up wanderer. Another has him avenging his uncles' death. Another has him a small boy set in a fae village. Heck, Twilight Princess has Link as a farmer before he becomes a hero. Except for the small bits and pieces, the Zelda series is pretty much like the Final Fantasy series, every game is different, but the same in a few areas.
    Link's Adventure is a true sequel because it picks up where Legend of Zelda left off, if you read the instruction manual. Same thing with OoT/MM and WW/PH. It could be said that Link's Awakening is a sequel because it was all just a dream, but there is no mention to the previous games in the series.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by econ21
    SHODAN from System Shock 2 - surely best villain ever?
    Shodan aproves with this post.

Will never forget her introduction in part deux, but I loved her since she welcomed me to her death-machine. That voice!

Kekvit:

It is correct that they are different Links most likely and portrayed times differ a lot. But my response was more aimed at "As you can see, six games have a completely different Link and/or history of Hyrule. Link would be on my list if only they kept SOME form of continuity." Fact is there is some form of contuinity (and all Link characters happen to be (a) Link and somehow related).

The only quick link with good-looking information I found is this. It is of course theory, but nevertheless plausible theory.
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

In no particular order:

Smiling Jack (Vampire: Bloodlines)

Half the cast of Planescape: Torment (so many great ones here - Dak'kon, Ravel, Annah, Morte, Nameless, The Transcendent One, Practical, Deionarra [sp?], Trias)

Kerghan (Arcanum)

Batlin (Ultima VII)

One easily trifled with Member Target Champion Motep's Avatar

Reno from Final fantasy VII.
    What a moron.
    TosaInu shall never be forgotten.

edits coming whenever i'm next here...
    Last edited by Craterus; 07-28-2007 at 23:03.

Waluigi and Wario in the Mario Sport games

The Jagged Alliance mercenaries. The character casts from the Wing Commander series and from Strike Commander. Real classics.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12