Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sands Of Africa

Default The Sands Of Africa

Since we know that the Carthaginians were eliminated by the Romans there is no real history to report after the ending of the third Punic War. This gives me a little more freedom to do what I want with this nation. One theme will rule this AAR and that is Commerce. Motivated by trade Carthage became an Empire of Merchant might not military supremacy. Motivations for Expansion were not to necessarily defeat another empire but rather to secure their continued trade. The overall theme will be that of commercial dominance. Of course this will lead to conflict which is why the Carthiginian military will have to be a professional and competent machine. Ports will be a great priority as maritime supremacy is paramount to controlling a merchant empire. Having finished several books on the history of Carthage, or the Phoenician colony, and having read a biography of Hannibal I feel I have enough background knowledge to get started. I played with the faction for about 25 game years and have a feel for the mechanics. I have a rudimentary foundation of how the Carthaginians waged war and their tactics. Combining Phalanx with more mobile troops and Cavalry gave them a sort of Hybrid between Roman Maniples and Hellenistic phalanx.

The format of the AAR will not be like a history book like that last AAR but rather from the perspectives of the Commanders themselves. Sometimes they will be commanders and other times they will be governors. It will be in Journal format that I may add third person perspective to when needed to show additional goings-on. Overall I want to give a rich and encompassing aspect to the game. As much as I enjoy the battles, there are so many other treasures to this game and I will make an effort to expand on them.

Without further delay here is an Introduction to get us up to date on the situation with Carthage and her interests:

"Around 814 BC, Carthage - meaning 'new city,' was founded by the Tyrian Queen Elissa, fleeing the tyranny of her brother King Pygmalion in Tyre. Her flight from the island city was prompted by her brother's assassination of her husband, the priest of Melqart, leading a number of prominent nobles and former royal attendants to accompany her in flight.

After traveling for some time, Elissa's party landed in Libya, within a short distance of the older the older Phoenician city Utica. Upon their arrival, Elissa secured land from the local Libyans for temporary use, but eventually settled in the area after some encouragement from the Uticans and the discovery of good omens in the land where the city would be founded.

The first trading empire of Carthage was built initially on a strategic position for trade within the central and Western Mediterranean, and eventually building up most of it's clout by trading heavily with the wealthy Iberian peoples of Tartessos. After the fall of their older Iberian trading partners, the Carthaginian merchant ships bypassed the ancient cities location, and approached the major tin producers in North-Western Iberia and among the Southern Britons directly. To supplement a newly invigorated trade relationship with the Iberian tribesmen and the Celtiberians in the North, Carthaginian merchants also moved along the Mauretanian coast and even farther south towards Senegal to establish informal trading relations.

During the ensuing years, increasing dependency on Carthage as well as the great trading empire's reasonable military aptitude, led to the political assimilation of the Balearic Islands East of Iberia, as well as Sardinia and Corsica, and parts of Sicily. Their burgeoning prospects also found them in lasting alliance with the Etruscans of Italy, who would trade with Carthage for centuries, and even enter into military alliance with them.

The Carthaginians dominance in the Western Mediterranean was finally challenged however, by a maritime power closer to their own former homes in Pheonicia: Greece. This conflict finally culminated with the first Carthaginian attempts to finally secure Sicily, and ensure their guard against the Greek armies there.

The war in Sicily began when Carthage's general Hamilco led an enormous army onto the island, landing first at Panormus. His numbers, reduced to an extent by storms during their transport, were virtually wiped out by Gelon, the ruler of Syracuse, at Himera. Hamilco would be one of the earliest Carthaginian generals to partake in suicide for failure, and would not be the last.

Peace between Carthage and Syracuse ensued, though it was tenuous at best, and it was quickly ended. By 410 BC Carthage had lost it's colonies in Iberia, but had replaced them with new ones in North Africa, as well as an expansion of their territory beyond the great inland Sea of North Africa and into the Libyan coast. In addition to their great territorial expansions, they enjoyed another re invigoration of their trading partnerships throughout the whole of the Mediterranean, and new territories discovered by previously unmatched efforts of exploration throughout Africa.

With a burgeoning power base at his back, Hamilcar's grandson Hannibal Mago, renewed the war in Sicily by seizing several cities in the South, as well as the site of his grandfather's defeat. Despite his initial success, his siege at Agrigentum was broken, and his forces thrown back - suffering from the plague.

Hannibal Mago's successor, Himilco, managed to continue the war farther into Sicily by defeating the Syracusean tyrant... but was eventually forced to sue for peace after his forces had been weakened by another plague. After this, the peace would again disintegrate, and leave Carthage to war with Greece for many decades - leaving them finally restricted to a Southern corner of the island.

In 311, the tyrant Agathocles of Syracuse renewed the war against Carthage, seizing most of their remaining Sicilian holdings and laying siege to their only strong positions. In response, the Carthaginian general Hamilcar was dispatched to raise the siege and take the offensive against the Greeks. Within a year of his arrival in Sicily, Hamilcar had raised the Greek siege, and made himself master of much of the island. Without any recourse against his superior opponent, Agathocles moved against Carthage itself, prompting Hamilcar's recall to the African coast - where he crushed the Greek army. Despite an admirable position, Hamilcar concluded a peace with the Syracusean tyrant, leaving his home-city as the final stronghold of Greek power."

-Taken from the Introduction at the EB page at: https://www.europabarbarorum.org/ebc...m_history.html

Default Re: The Sands Of Africa

Hi ,

this is my first reaction on any AAR.

I'm a number 1 lurker so I will follow (reading) it just

like like many other AAR's i'm enjoyed you're other one

too but won,t post reactions I just one let you now

that you don't do it for nothing

By the time I posted this message, there are already 50 views. Lurkers love AAR's.

Yup, I'm a lurker as I am usually too lazy to bother typing. I enjoyed your last AAR very much, and i'm very much looking forward to this one.

I'm glad you are taking a different approach to writing this one, and I can't wait to meet the many Carthy characters that will be written about.

A Request: I'd love it if you could also write about any other non-carthy characters you might come into contact with also and expand upon their relationships with the carthy's. Iberians, Gauls, Greeks and Romans! Having read your last AAR, you definetly gave a taste of that so know you are a very capable writer to implement it. I just feel it would add some extra depth to the writing, and I'd love to see some arch-enemies dukeing it out on the battlefield!

Can't wait for episode1!

Mega

"Break in the Sun, till the Sun breaks down"

@Sassem: So your one of the 90% that watch silently :). Thanks for your compliments and I hope you enjoy this one as well.

@Thaatu: Yes I have noticed there have been a number of view already. Good to know that people are indeed following it :)

@Megalos: I have every intention of incorporating other characters into the AAR :) . Thank you again for your support.

Megas Alexandros's heir Member Spoofa's Avatar

I read this last night but didnt post a comment because i was too tired

Looks good, I would have prefered a Macedonian one but Carthage is another great and interesting faction! So good luck, I look forward to it.

@Spoofa: I know alot of people wanted Makedonia but Carthage should be interesting as well. like 30 people voted in the poll so far and Carthage is leading so I went with it. I havent seen any Epic AARs on Carthage so hopefully this will appease the Epic AAR gods :)

Winter, 272 BC - Western Sicily
    After conferring with the senate for what seemed an eternity and having been given my brothers (Mago's) best Libyan troops we have left Carthage and arrived in Sicily.

My name is Bomlikar. I am the younger brother of Mago and second in line to head the Senate of Carthage. I have been given the most important task of securing Sicily. A task that my ancestors failed to do on numerous occasions. The trip was most pleasurable in the early spring and after following local trails we have arrived at winter quarters. We are encamped near a large mountain and have a commanding view of the countryside. I have put my men in charge of building a road from Lilybaem to the Central area of Sicily so that we may move a little quicker on the Island. As beautiful as this island is the Coast is rugged and ships have limited areas where to harbor. The countryside is spectacular and rugged.
    I have brought Libyan recruits and loyal Iberians who are quite dependable and have requested some Numidian cavalry as well. It will not be till next season that they arrive however.

Sicily has been a thorn in our side since our ancestors first settled Carthage(new city). Every army that tries to defeat Syracuse winds up dying from some strange disease. The plague it would seem is an ally of King Hiero II. Having taken over after the Epirotes left the island he is quite powerful and put himself in quite the prosperous position. This city is one of the most powerful in this part of the world. Our agents have discovered that his army is not as great as it was and the city does not expect an attack. This will certainly play to our advantage. Attempts to further broker a trade deal have collapsed.

With the great port of Syracuse not trading with us it hurts our ability to conduct business with our allies. There is much business to be had. This island offers much. The soil is remarkably black with long valleys full of grains. Small streams criss cross the landscape. Olive trees grow wild on the hillsides and contained in those hillsides are rich minerals like lead and iron. The grains alone will bring much wealth as Rome has an insatiable appetite for it. Possesion of Sicily will grant us ports in the heart of the Meditereanean. We cannot fail to capture this land.

Winter, 271 BC - Beseiging Syracuse
    This ancient city is massive. Its great walls and high ramparts would cost us dearly to directly assault it. The heart of the city is on an island that is impregnable. Arriving late in the summer during the early harvest we were able to dig lines of circumvallation and trap the king and his men inside. I have set up towers and strongholds and its hopeful that they cannot holdout for too long. In addition our fleet has blockaded their port and we have confiscated much loot from this action. Syracuse is cut off. It is uncertain how many men they have to fight but it could be as much as us. Assuming their ally of the Plague does not rear its ugly head this plan should work. Word will get back to Hiero's allies in Greece but with the infighting the Greeks are so good at achieving it is doubtful they will intervene. We have now but to wait to see the results of our actions. I could find hardly a man that was willing to fight against the Syracuseans so it is up to my men to achieve this siege. Mercenaries seem to be a precious commodity. Lilybaeum is working to expand the port as to accomodate the extra trade we will recieve should we capture this great city.

Winter, 269 BC -Royal Palace of Syracuse
    After an ardorous and exhaustive two years of waiting and with great excitement I can now say that Syracuse belongs to Carthage. On a crisp morning emissaries from inside came out to say that King Hiero II had taken his life along with many of the garrison. We were free to enter the city and take what we desired and the populace was at my mercy. Although the population is restless, with time they will learn their new rulers. So many of the citizens resisted i had to put them to the sword as a lesson to those remaining. The spoils of war are ours. I have sent word of our victory to Mago in Carthage proper and have requested a governor and a substantial garrison. It will not be till next year at the earliest that I can leave. I am busy setting up an appropriate government and we have to assess what goods we have acquired. A city this size has treasure that will appease the greatest of all kings for sure. Just yesterday some of my men discovered a room stacked full of gold. Much of it has not been refined but nonetheless there it is. I have sent it back as a gift to the senate who will hopefully use it to the betterment of Carthage. The port is in operation and the trading vessels we have secured are already moving goods to elsewhere. Capua in Italy is willing to buy grain and wine is being sent back to Africa.
    I have also requested stone workers and carpenters to travel to the city to repair damaged and run down areas and to begin much needed repairs to the port. I have sent diplomats north to speak with representatives of Messana and hope they will join our glorious Republic.

Winter, 268 BC - Beseiging Messana
    Our diplomats appeals fell on deaf ears as the men of Messana refused to give up their independence. The fleet was sent north to blockade the port but was involved in a large battle with an Epirote fleet off the Toe of Italy. Although battered, the ships survived and have returned to Syracuse for repairs. Our fleet fared better than the Epirote fleet as the latter is currently at the bottom of the sea. Although a bit discouraged we trekked north with the main army that has grown quite large with mercenaries.

The capture of Syracuse has allowed me to buy the services of local men who owe alligiance only to gold. They will be useful should Messana refuse to surrender. Some of the men fled the city when our army came into view. Passing by a magnificent Volcano, called Etna, on the way and seeing other wonderful sites has truly made me love this land. Its beauty is a resource all its own.

I have ordered the construction of several rams to be used to knock down the minimal defenses. If they have not surrendered before the harvest I will take the town by force. The choice is theirs.
    I have sent diplomats to the City-state of Rome to offer a tribute to our allies. I hope that this will seal the alliance we have maintained for some years

Harvest, 267 BC - Forum of Messana
    As the fields of grain turn their predictable golden hue ready for cutting my men stormed into Messana and did cutting of their own. It was a brutal fight and the men fought well. I first sent in my mercenaries. Each unit with their own ram. Two of the units routed but the others broke through and a brutal street battle ensued. Eventually the fighting ended up in the center of the town where every man who could hold a weapon did just that. They died holding that weapon. The remaining men and other able bodied women were first employed to remove the bodies and then they were sent to gather the harvest. After the harvest is over I will send them to Carthage to be dealt with where they will be divvied up amongst the various nobility of the Republic. The Senate has asked me to build a great port outside the city and to bring the roads and other infrastructure up to minimal acceptable standards. The skilled builders which helped in Syracuse will be employed here. Having repaired and expanded the port in Syracuse their experience will be valuable. The major cities of this rich Island have fallen into our hands and Karthadastim will be properly rewarded for her persistence.
    Battle Of Messana:

Short Video of Battle:
    http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...t=47e6c2e4.flv

Well another lurker that finally decides to post To be honest I was just too lazy to actually register in order to post.

I have followed your Roman AAR and I must say that it alone has encouraged me to continue my own Roman campaign. Thus, the respectable thing would be to compliment you on your wiriting and determination in your campaigns. So keep up the good work and I'll be following this one and hoping for updates on your Roman AAR.

Uneasy with Command Member Treverer's Avatar

Beautiful pictures and captivating writing ... what does an AAR need more? Thank you for sharing it with us.
    BTW, I'm waiting for your Pontos AAR ... you might write one day ... in the future ... not too far away.
    Towards the end of the book, the Moties quote an old story from Herodotus:

"Once there was a thief who was to be executed. As he was taken away he made a bargain with the king: In one year he would teach the king's favorite horse to sing hymns."
    "The other prisoners watched the thief singing to the horse and laughed. 'You will not succeed,' they told him. 'No one can.' To which the thief replied, 'I have a year, and who knows what will happen in that time. The king might die. The horse might die. I might die. And perhaps the horse will learn to sing.'"

So many factions so little time right Treverer? I hope that the EB team doesnt release the final version of this mod before i finish :) Thanks for the compliments :)

@Cash staks:
    It seems many lurkers are coming out of the woodwork. I do plan to continue the Roman Campaign. Its just tricky doing two campaigns at once. Its easy to get confused. Ill give it a little rest and have another go at it later. Thanks for following the AAR and giving me encouragement.

Great start to what will undoubtedly become another epic AAR.

An Imperfect Follower of Light Member Wolfman's Avatar

Not trying to flatter you or anything but you are a very talented writer. Reading this was not like reading another Puniceus Paludamentum which was like a history book. This is a completely different style all together kinda like a journal. Good Work.
    Last edited by Wolfman; 08-02-2007 at 04:41.
    Tales of Gods and Kings - An Arverni AAR-DEAD
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...82#post1930882
    A People of the Mist - Casse AAR-ALIVE!!!!
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...Mist-Casse-AAR

Wow, great start!

The visuals you used are excellent; it adds so much to the immersion, as well as simply being beautiful in its own right.

I’m very glad you’re doing Carthage. I’m sure it will only get better!

@wolfman: Yes i wanted to go a different route with this AAR. It is a journal of various commanders of Kart Hadastim. I felt like i couldnt get in touch with the personalities of the commanders in the PP AAR. I started to in my last update but I dont want to change the theme of the AAR in midstride. I like the "history book" approach much better for that AAR. This one will be a little more personal. I also wanted to add some geographical significance to where the armies were fighting at. We all see the volcano on the map in the game but to actually see it provides a whole new context. As the battlefields move from area to area, expect to see photographs/paintings of the landscapes as they appear in real life. Too bad they didnt have cameras in 200 BC . This AAR will be much more immersive and not as combat centered as my last. Thank you for the compliments. It means alot. I have been doing some rough brainstorming as to a novel I would like to have a go at.

@Caelus thanks for following and I hope it helps add much to the experience. I am very excited about Carthage. So far there hasnt been any major challenges but we all know that will change.

Just your average Senior Member Warmaster Horus's Avatar
    Besancon, France: a stepping stone to greatness. I hope.

Great beginning! As many have said, you are talented.
    I personally voted for Makedon in the poll, but the Kart-Hadastim were a close second. Seeing this, I think you made a good choice.
    The Throne Room: "Less a forum, more a way of life." Econ21
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Join the latest greatest installement of mafia games: Capo di Tutti Capi!
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

This is simply great, keep up the excellent work, Chirurgeon
    Hope the Anti-Barcids don't make your northwards expansion suddenly stop

Speak up for those who were silenced forever.
    Visit https://www.HellenicGenocide.org

That will certainly affect how the game will play out, Basileus Seleukeia. To be sure.

Good to see you on this AAR too Warmaster. Your insight is greatly appreciated.

Chapter II - The Numidian Menace

Winter, 266 BC
    Having placed Aderbaal, my son, as governor of Messana and supplying some militia from Lilybaeum as a garrison I have departed Sicily and are now encamped for the winter West of Carthage. I spent much of the year in the capital resting and conferencing with various senators. While there I have been kept abreast of our position. Mago has told me that Rome is Beseiging Taras in southern Italy and it is likely that if they succeed they will not stop and will likely aim to capture the independent city of Rhegium, less than a days sail from Messana. "The Riches of Sicily are not only cherished by our eyes my brother.", he told me shortly before I left. Senators privately expressed concern that these Romans are like a cancer and will continue to spread. Although the Romans could be a distant threat more urgent problems have occured. Several Rebelious tribes to our south and west are wreaking havoc on our trade with the deeper areas of Africa. Mago has requested i deal with these mauraders and to find out where they are coming from. In the Spring we march to meet these rebels.

Winter, 265 BC encamped on the Medjerda River
    We are currently awaiting more to replace the brave men that lost their lives in our campaign. Two large unruly groups of Numidians and other tribal avoided us for quite some time. Finally in the late summer we trapped them against the Aures Mountains where they were subsequently destroyed. They were but a third the number of men and a quarter the quality. The ones that did survive either fled or were captured and sold into slavery in Kart Hadastim.

Few Carthiginians have been this far south of the coast and it is quite splendid. Juniper trees cover the hillsides and other plants seem to flourish quite nicely. There is valuable timber here and should a road reach into this area it would behooth us to harvest it. Although they are not as large and valuable as the Corsican pines from Corsica, nonetheless their value cannot be overlooked.

Spies have indicated that the source of many of these mauraders and bandits is a sort of nomadic town to the west beyond the great Medjerda River. We will follow the base of the Aures mountain range and work our way to the west until this town is discovered.

Winter 264 BC, Besieging the Numidian City of Kirtan
    Having discovered the city and trapping many of the inhabitants inside we will wait for them to fight, surrender, or starve to death. Three bleak options if you are the one inside the city. After conferring with officers I have decided not to assault the city due to the fact that I do not want my army becoming a giant pin cushion. The men inside are expert at throwing javelins and i dont need to sacrifice lives just to be done with this sooner. Spies have followed the men that escaped and they have taken refuge in Siga, on the coast. Kirtan is located on a hot plain between the Aures mountains in the East and the Central Atlas mountains in the west.

The Atlas mountains being much larger. Even from here there snow capped peaks can be seen. The cold seems to flow off the mountains at night and brings an incredible chill.
    Men have to break the ice for the horses before they can drink from their pails in the early morning hours. As the day progresses and the sun rises the temperature reaches an oppressive level. For my part i will be glad to be back at the coast as soon as possible.
    Obtaining supplies for the men has been aleviated a bit by the hunting prowess of the Numidian horse riders. Apparently they are just as good as killing game as they are men. As a result, we have been feasting on the local animals that run wild in these areas.

As dry as this area is there are hidden water resources and the Numidian Cavalrymen have a knack for finding these water spots. This fact adds yet another dimension to employing them in my service. Our foodstuffs from Kart Hadastim has been difficult to procure as the natives of the mountains still resist the Carthiginian way. They have a nasty habit of attacking our caravans enroute which slows down delivery of food. I have sent the Geographer with these Numidians to map out these water sources.

Spring 262 BC, Kirtan, Numidae
    The inhabitants mainly surrendered and were sold into slavery. One-thousand of these will go to the new gold and silver mines in Mastia in Southern Iberia.

^^Army of Kart Hadastim
    Apparently the mountains there are full of gold and silver. I have been called back to Kart Hadastim to meet with my brother and the Senate to discuss the Numidian problem. No doubt if Siga does not turn over the cowards who escaped the capture of Kirtan the Senate will be most upset. Another reason I wish to return to the capital is to see my new grandson. Born on my birthday he will be one year old. My sons, Aderbaal (the father) and Himlicar, will also be in the capital with their wives.

Alas I will be able to rest. At the age of 45 I am not Young anymore. Mago is nearly 55 and apparently feeling his age. As I am in line to be Shopet I know the Senate will wish me to possibly stay in Kart Hadastim. It is likely the senatores are debating who should follow me as the next leader....politics is something i have no love of. With the exception of the Numidians our borders remain secure.

Winter, 261 BC - Lilybaeum
    It would seem that the father has joined his sons so to speak. I met for the better part of the day with the senate and they thanked me most noteably for my service to the Republic. After a discussion that lasted another day a vote came forth and a new commander was voted in. This is how it works I suppose. The politicians always want a fresh young noble face to tie to its mighty army. After having seen my grandson and my family united I realized I had no time to be a father. Several of my friends being senatores knew this and undoubtedly told others that it is time I settle down. Hamalcar will control our armies now. At the age of 33 he is much younger than I. He is the youngest of us brothers. Although I was his age once. I can hardly fathom how far I have come since those early days 11 years ago. Being nominated to travel to Sicily to finally crush the Syracuse tyrant Hiero II. Then achieving that goal. Moving to Messana to capture that very important city. I am not one for self promotion but it would seem without me Carthage would still be struggling and who knows what would have happened had Syracuse been allowed to exist. I have no regrets and history will remember me fondly. From Sicily back to Africa to deal with the new menace, the Numidians. It started with desert brigands and wound up becoming a war. War is something I know longer wish to deal with. I have seen enough men die. Hamalcar is ambitious and green and wants to make a name for himself. So be it. I get to govern a paradise here. Somehow I knew I would end up here in this rich land of Intoxicating beauty. As the governor here my goal is peace and with my two sons governing the other cities of this great Island I sleep well. Very well indeed.

Uneasy with Command Member Treverer's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: The Sands Of Africa

Towards the end of the book, the Moties quote an old story from Herodotus:

"Once there was a thief who was to be executed. As he was taken away he made a bargain with the king: In one year he would teach the king's favorite horse to sing hymns."
    "The other prisoners watched the thief singing to the horse and laughed. 'You will not succeed,' they told him. 'No one can.' To which the thief replied, 'I have a year, and who knows what will happen in that time. The king might die. The horse might die. I might die. And perhaps the horse will learn to sing.'"

Excellant read, I am throughly enjoying this AAR, and wish you luck with your campaign. Hopefully, in the future we will see carthage reclaiming it's old homeland in Phonicea .

Winter 260 BC, South of the Djedi River
    Having been granted command of the armies by my older brother Mago I will not let him down.

After crossing the Djedi River we began pursuit of a small group of Numidians who no doubt were planning on arresting our crossing of the river. Scouts have indicated that they are south of us in a small oasis. In spring we will pursue them. The senate has decreed that i am to bring all of these lands under the watchful eye of the Senate. If we are to be successful traders we cant have enemies right on our doorstep. The persistant badgering of our trade routes from the mountains by these nomads must be quelled. This land is arid and tough with the exception of the few small oasis and rivers that cross this area. Having sent spies ahead it is clear that the Numidians wish to stay close to their hunting grounds. Elephants abound in this region and are ever-present as we march.

I would prefer to take the sea to Siga and attack that way but these areas between Ippsos and Siga are untamed and some order must be established. We sleep at night and hear the roar of lions around us. Many of the men are terrified by this. I feel the lion is empowering us with his greatness.
    It may be several months before we reach that city.

Winter 259 BC, Beseiging Siga
    With Siga harboring the Numidians that have wreaked havoc on our trade, we are currently starving this city out. Our fleet is bringing fresh troops and when they arrive I will assault this city. With its weak walls and still weaker people inside they will regret attacking Carthage. In the spring we attacked a small group of warriors that actually put up quite the fight and managed to bloody up my Libyan spearmen nicely.

My elite troops are the Liby-Phonecians that have been trained in Kart hadast. They are my anchor to the army.

I use the light troops of the Iberian peninsula to protect them should they get flanked. These Liby-Phonecians are a tough breed indeed. The country between here and Ippsos is so untamed i feel that it may never be subjucated completely

Spring 257 BC, Siga
    After a year of resisting the people of Siga have surrendered. Enslaved and sent back to Kart Hadastim. Some will eventually wind up in Iberia where the mining there seems to have a negative affect on lifespan. A steady flow of slave labor is needed to maintain manpower as the search continues underground for the rich gold deposits. Several senatores have come here after the successful capture of the town to congratulate me. There has been much to celebrate but to the west lie more foes. My scouts have indicated that maurading bands of Numidians are but a seasons march from Siga. Hadrabuls son in Mastia will be governing Siga to give him some much needed experience in the art of Governance. No doubt he will want me to tutor the young man as I have demonstrated my managerial skills on several occasions. The senatores have had some updates from our diplomats traveling abroad. From the East in the land of the Pharohs, the Ptolemies continue to fight with the Successors to Alexander The Great's empire. The Ptolemies are faring well having won some major battles. Our old city of Sidon is now being attacked by the Pharohs army. Rome is losing ground to the persistance of the Epirotes. After the Romans suffered a humiliating defeat outside of Arpi the Epirotes proceeded to attack the great city of Capua in Campania. Campania has fallen to the Epirote and the Romans are shifting their forces south to deal with the threat. Our friends the Aeudi continue their war with the Arverni having made some gains far north of the Mediteranean. The tribes of Iberia are slowly being pulled together through sheer force as one tribe, the Lusitanns, have shown dominance and are now expanding their realm of influence. They are pressing east and could reach the mediteranean in a few years time. Many nations are expanding and it is only a matter of time till that results in conflict.

Spring 255 BC - Tingis
    We are resting comfortably in Tingis. We left Siga in late spring and crossed into Tingi Mauretania before the early harvest. Stopping to build a bridge over the Moulouya River(modern name), we quickly made for the capital. Looking behind us a great towering Range of mountains called Atlas gazed over the plains that lead to the Mediteranean. They seem to watch us as we pressed toward the city.

After a brave battle for the city the Numidians finally surrendered. My how they fought though! Although they had no armor and but a small shield they fought like dogs. I placed the Libyans in the Front line and they held quite well. Their cavalry, more skirmishers, charged my left flank. I had a new addition to the army which i sent to deal with their cavalry: my son. My son Hamalcar came of age two years ago and joined my army with his graceful and deadly cavalry. The Numidians were outmatched but their speed enabled them to avoid annihilation. They would rout but return for more all the while hurling their javelins at us. As some of their skirmishers engaged the Libyans others stood back and hurled their spears into the ranks. My own Numidian mercenaries were routed when their tactics were turned against them. The Libyans took the brunt of the damage but despite their losses their strength was strong enough to charge and push the enemy back into the city. After successfully routing the enemy so gloriously i retired them to the rear and brought up in line the Liby-Phoenicians. Their services were not needed however as the Numidians hiding with their Mauretanian allies had had enough.
    Scenes from the Battle of Tingis

Video of Various Battles:
    http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...WestAfrica.flv

However I was so pleased of the way they fought I handpicked some to stay in the city as garrison. One last bastion of defense remained here in the west. As soon as I have rested and placed my son as governor I will move south down the coast to Mauretania proper and put an end to this Numidian menace for good.

Winter, 254 BC - Besieging Sala, Mauretania
    After spending a year outside of Tingis we have moved south over some more rocky terrain into a much more Arid area.

After crossing another river my guides tell me we cannot go any further west. The city of Sala is as far as we can go. South of here the great mountains of Atlas rise up from the Earth and beyond lay the sands of the great desert where life is practically devoid. I give the inhabitants only a few more months before they submit to Carthiginian rule. There are resources here such as timber and wild animals necessary for arenas and other forms of entertainment. Here I feel truly far from home. The senate wishes to meet with me to discuss future positions. Being one of the most successful generals our people have known apparently gets the attention of the nobility.

Winter, 253 BC - With the Fleet
    I am approximately halfway between Siga and Ippsos along our glorious coast. As I look over the side of our lead ship toward land I realize that this vast coastline I have been sailing past for several days now belongs to KartHadastim. The sheer size of the Republic is staggering to me. For someone to have suggested that all of North Africa West of Lepki belonged to us I would have labeled them mad. Having seen this now I realize how great we have become. I watch the dolphin leap alongside the ships guiding us home to the Capital. I miss the capital and my urgent trip home indicates something has transpired. The senate cannot communicate their message via messenger rather I must be physically present. Mago's health is failing im told and Bomlikar is so reclusive in Lilybaem they may fear what may transpire if he fulfills his duty as Shopet. Perhaps they will name me when Mago finally succombs to the god's embrace. These next few months at sea will lead me to focus my thoughts. Visiting Senatores have told me a variety of wishes for the Republic. The successors to Alexander's war with the Ptolemy goes poorly. They lose territory not just to their west but to their east as well. Old subjects are turning the tide on their old rulers. The independent city of Kyrene feels threatened by the Ptolemies sudden growth. One Senator has suggested we take that rich land for ourselves. Would our old allies the Ptolemies suddenly feel threatened with another empire right against them? War with Egypt is not desired but if we are to rule Africa then it is something we must consider.
    Kart Hadastim is a divided Republic when it comes to determining our future. My success unfortunately has reopened this great debate. There are group of very prominant men who are staked in great tradition and believe that the African coast is truly our domain. We are connected by a single land and not scattered across the sea. yes we have colonies but these are not designed to be launching points for invasions. Iberia has riches but to invade brings more enemies to the fray. Swarms of barbarians north of Iberia would feel threatened and we would either have to fend off relentless invasions or take all of Europe. In my opinion and from a practical view that idea does not bode well with me. All in all we are not conquers, we are traders. We went to war with the Numidians because they threaten our trade. Raiders from south of Lepki and Agrigento continue to haunt our trade routes overland through the desert. I feel we need to put a buffer between us and those southern raiders and capture territory further south in the desert expanse. There is money to be made in the resources there.

Then there are other men, more ambitious men. These men would have Carthage rule the world at the very least to reclaim the homeland. A far worse prospect from my perspective is an invasion of the Italian teritories or further into Iberia. For now we have healthy alliances with all those powerful northern people. Why threaten that just for the purpose of expansion into lands unknown to us? Is Africa not enough? Well apparently these men see the fighting of our northern neighbors with each other and we can somehow us that for our own gain. They say, the barbarians north of the Pyranees fight endlessly making them weak and vulnerable. The Lusitanns are loosely connected and have no real central authority. Rome has been weakend by the persistant invasions by the Epirotes. I remain unconvinced. How do we know our invasion wouldnt force old enemies to join together against a common foe? How would we deal with a unified front from men of Rome and the forests of Europe. This is not our domain.
    I would not feel so strongly about this but the debate has come to my doorstep. My own son, Hamlicar II, has stated already that our grip on Iberia is not strong enough and that the Italian peninsula is ripe for the taking. The more I reason with him the more vehement he becomes. He is slated to join me in the capital and I have no doubt he will be embraced by the men who want to expand northward. Fortunately the minority of the senate feels that we need to further our expansion north. For the moment Africa is where Our destiny lies. The current senate will undoubtly support action to the south. The risks are small and the resources are potentially very profitable. What about after that? In a few years when the desert nomads either scatter or succumb to rule what then? Can we afford to be a stagnant empire? Will we falter by not growing? Unfortunately you cant answer these questions until hindsight. Our successes will lead us to greater and greater conflict im afraid.

Another update already!? Love it! Keep it up!

As a Barcine myself I say go north! Dont listen to the fool!

Well thanks for following Lovejoy. I hope you enjoy the AAR. A Swedish Barcine....must be an interesting family tree there :) I'm afraid going north would only make enemies. Think of all the lost trade if our alliances collapsed. The money from the Romans alone is worth averting war.

Megas Alexandros's heir Member Spoofa's Avatar

You sort of inspired me to try a second attempt at a REAL carthaginian campaign and I did, so far It's been a blast of fun, our empires are simliar, sept I dont own the province that is south of the westernmost african province and instead i own the one directly south of Lepki, The Ptolemies own the rest of the entire Mediterranean coast east of greece And they Took Lepki from me once, which REALLY made their empire look impressive on the world map, but Hamalcar and his son retook it and repelled several large armies while being outnumbered, of course the Ptolemies cant stand up to our highly disciplined and well equipped troops, and Rome has taken Corsica from me, while i hang on to Sardinia, I decided to let them keep it for now, trying to reinact the punic wars. Rome seems to be having trouble in italy, Epirus still holds Taras, but the Romani keep beseiging it, eventually they will win, The Romani also have a full stack, extremely well balanced on the southern coast above the mercenary held town of Rhegum If they manage to aquire Taras then i fear they will set their sights upon Rhegum and then, sicily. I'm already pressed as it is from the east by the semi-constant pressure of the Ptolemies, even with my alliance with the grey death It seems to not do much. I dont know if I'll survive much longer with my sicilian and eastern north africa holdings.

Anyway, the updates are looking nice. I look forward to the next one.

I think I've fallen in love with Carthage
    Last edited by Spoofa; 08-04-2007 at 03:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoofa
    I think I've fallen in love with Carthage

Haha as have I my friend...as have I

Good to hear I inspired you. So far i havent had any battles which could give my army a major challenge. Arche Selucia is getting their butts handed to them. I wonder who will fill that giant void?

Keep it up and give us some periodic updates :)

An Imperfect Follower of Light Member Wolfman's Avatar

Good update! I agree with your expansion. You should expand only where it benefits your empire.
    Tales of Gods and Kings - An Arverni AAR-DEAD
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...82#post1930882
    A People of the Mist - Casse AAR-ALIVE!!!!
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...Mist-Casse-AAR

Just your average Senior Member Warmaster Horus's Avatar
    Besancon, France: a stepping stone to greatness. I hope.

Great update! And nice update rate.

Keep 'em coming!
    The Throne Room: "Less a forum, more a way of life." Econ21
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Join the latest greatest installement of mafia games: Capo di Tutti Capi!
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

Hi Chirurgeon,

I now that you asks in the post were we could choose

what your next AAR would be if there were any good

addons/mods to play with this campaign

so what addons/mods do you use now and do you play

RTW/EB or BI/EB

(I know the lurker comes out of the closet )

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast