Thread: How to change archer max angle to 45

Default How to change archer max angle to 45

Ok I am new to modding with things, first off. I know I am missing something here because in one article a guy was talking about to help with archers not firing huge arc shots onto the enemy when they are on walls, decrease their max angle to 45 in descr_projectiles.txt

Ok so my question is, how do I get to that? I did a search for it in the folder, and found nothing, so I am curious to know how to get to this.

Again, I am new to this modding thing, so step by step instructions would be great :)

Default Re: How to change archer max angle to 45

You must be talking about this thread:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=83719

Go to /tools/unpacker and read ReadMe.txt carefully.

You have to mod not just arrow but arrow_fiery, bodkin_arrow, etc.

Ok I did that and unpacked the files (wow 14 GBs) and I STILL cannot find this descr_projectiles.txt file. How do I get to this? Where do I go to, something on the data folder? Like I said, I have no clue what I am doing.

By step-by-step instructions I meant like "first, go here, then go here, then do this and this, then find these folders and change angle to 45" ect. I have never modded a game IN MY LIFE

So yeah, I am like uber noob when it comes to this. I really appreciate the time and effort taken out.

Nvm, I found what I was lookin for. I was lookin in data folders, all I had to do was scroll down :P

One last question, will this cause any other problems or conflicts with the way the game works? Since I really don't understand WHY this works, only that I am trusting it does, I am curious to know if I will face other unforseen things.

It shouldn't cause any unforseen problems, no, but I'll explain a bit about what's going on there, and let you decide for yourself.

I've never been too sure why anyone has such a big problem with the firing angle thing, and why they'd want to change it. Arcing shots that high is perfectly realistic, and shouldn't be considered a bug. Archers on the field very rarely had the luxury of straight line-of-sight shots. (In real life, you can't magically fire through your archer buddy in front of you. ^_^)

If you do limit their firing arc to 45 deg, it will stop them from firing that high. STOP them. So, if they need to fire that high to fire over an obstacle (such as the battlements on a wall), they simply won't, because they can't.

I can't see how that's an actual improvement. You're replacing wildly inaccurate shots with no shot at all. Of course, the unit as a whole is still firing, so it's not like you're saving ammo, or anything.

I guess if you just really can't stand looking at the high firing arc, because you're insane, it's worth it. ^_^ Otherwise, I'd stick with the (realistic) arcing shots, myself.

Agreed. The reason why they take the high arc shots is because they can't take any other. Its not like they say "hey, i could take this 15 degree shot, but instead i'll go 80 and drop it on their head, No, they are taking the only shot available to them. If you are worried about them taking inaccurate shots and wasting ammo, PRESS A . Otherwise, position them where they have a low angle line of fire, like on the flanks or 20m behind your main line rather than playing grabass with the infantry in front of them.

PS It is rather annoying when your 1 rank deep archers do drop shots off the castle walls, but this still wouldn't fix that.

I do agree it is more realistic and frankly, really cool watching burning arrows rain down upon the enemy, but I feel like the archers really aren't realistic in terms of damage anyway. You fire a volley of arrows at an enemy, you get hit, you are done 90% of the time. When I have 10 units of archers on the walls and the enemy gets to the gates with 5-10% casualties, to me that is kind of unrealistic.

I don't know maybe I am just a diehard archer fan, I just feel like archers ought to cause more damage. (I feel like with 10 archer units on the walls, I otta be doing like 50% casualties lol)

I agree with you. Archers are terribly underpowered.

Luckily, it sounds like they're making them a little more deadly in Kingdoms. I hope it's a lot more deadly, frankly. (Even though I'll cry when I'm on the recieving end of a bunch of longbows. ^_^)

Just be aware that clamping the firing angle like you were planning will, in the long run, reduce their damage, since they'll make less shots which, no matter how inaccurate, might've hit something.

Yeah true I decided to change it back to the default.

Concerning the power of archers, couldn't one just crank up the power manually by modding game files or something?

New to modding, just curious how that would work.

Quote Originally Posted by firedragom
    Concerning the power of archers, couldn't one just crank up the power manually by modding game files or something?
    You can modfiy attack and range in export_descr_unit.txt and modify accuracy and initial speed in descr_projectile.txt.

Remember that the lower the accuracy value, the better.

Ok thank you miracle, I did what you said and effectively halved all those numbers beside unit accuracy vs. units, and archers are now as deadly as I want them :)

Thanks guys

I realize this is a one year old post, but I just had to ask my q's and make some comments - if anyone is still out there.
    I don't like the angles because it seems to me -actually it is quite apparent to me - that many of the archer units fire at high arch more often than is justified by the target height. And logically, if the target can be seen from the bowman's angle, any angle over 45 should be unnecessary unless one is going for range. But this does not seem to be the case when firing at units close by on a wall. It seems that the bowmen use plunging fire in all such cases..No?

Secondly, in trying to change this, I adjusted the max angle settings but I don't think they 'took'. I know that one must do each type of arrow or bolt but I cannot seem to get it to change.

BTW I have added double the arrows a man can carry and for in-castle/town troops I have tripled or even more.

The most fun I have had is playing with 'bounce' for siege equipment.

If anyone knows why my angle mod is not working please post me here or a PM.

Thanks.
    Ignorance is the greatest threat to democracy.