Thread: Languages in the Mod

Default Languages in the Mod

A quick update and question just to show I haven't fallen off the world's edge.

Still slogging through the mod, right now a lot of factions are really shaping up. I've done a lot of work on Ophir, Stygia and even Corinthia (ever wondered how Cretan Archers, Hoplites or Companions would fare in Medieval Europe? Well... play as Corinthia )

Anyway, I wanted to get your opinions on the languages in The Hyborian Age: Total War. As it stands, a lot of the mod's units have "ethnic" names:

Campwyru
    Rastriagha
    Jarls
    Argyraspidai

Now, should I stick with this convention, or should I translate them to English:

Champions
    Berserkers
    Lords
    Silver Shields

Or should I try a combination:

Campwyru Champions
    Rastriagha Berserkers
    Jarl Infantry
    Argyraspid Spearmen

Or should I keep some ethnic names for the most elite/unique units, and for less important ones give them an English term?

The reason I ask is that Howard tended to sprinkle foreign terms in his writings a lot (Asshuri, Kozaks, Voivodes, etc), and I'd like to carry that over into some of the factions. At the same time, I don't want to confuse people, or take it too far away from Howard's very medieval milieu for the sake of it.

So, what're your thoughts? (I'll put up a preview of Stygia and Corinthia soon, just working out some kinks in the skins)

"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world, like blue mantles beneath the stars...
    Is fhearr fheuchainn na bhith san duil.

Default Re: Languages in the Mod

I don't know. Maybe both so that way people also know what type of unit they are getting from the unit's name itself. Personally, I have enough to remember and forget, so the less remembering and forgetting the merrier IMHO, and both an ethnic type name and troop type name combined in a unit title would make things easier.

Chris

PS: Another example would be Black Legion Foot Guard or Gunderland Pikes or Bosnian March Archers or Mounted Sergeants of Poitan etc.
    Last edited by christof139; 08-15-2007 at 12:57.

I like ethnical names as it gives more deepth to the game. The more ethical names the better I say.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll probably put at least some English in the names so you know what they are and do, while keeping some of the flavour.

"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world, like blue mantles beneath the stars...

Go Ethnic, what's the harm in it?
    Blackadder:"Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?"

https://skender.be/supportdenmark/#CS

Well if you do decide to go with ethnic names, you should use the correct Old Norse term for infantry (drengr), because Jarl means earl or nobleman. I have studied Germanic languages for about a year and I could help you with translations assuming that you will decide to use the ethnic languages.

The Jarls are basically the rough equivalent of the later Earl among the AEsir and Vanir. Every tribe has it's own king, so Jarls would likely be more common than they were among the later Norse, so that some could even be collected into units themselves, though most of them will be an "officer" for heavy infantry units.

I appreciate the offer, I might take you up on that.