Poll: Are you happy?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Happy with the decision made?

Default Re: Happy with the decision made?

I was hoping for the Linux port of S2:TW myself.

Savaran Commander Member Hound of Ulster's Avatar

my hope is that CA invest as much time and research into the Mughals and native Americans as they do the Europeans.

That and not going all crazy with the graphics like M2TW.
    'Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War' Plato

'Ar nDuctas' O'Dougherty clan motto

'In Peace, sons bury thier fathers; In War, fathers bury thier sons' Thucydides

'Forth Eorlingas!' motto of the Riders of Rohan

'dammit, In for a Penny, In for a Pound!' the Duke of Wellington

Professional Cynic Member Innocentius's Avatar

I hope that CA doesn't focus too much on America just to appeal to the fans.
    It's not easy being a man, you know. I had to get dressed today... And there are other pressures.

- Dylan Moran

The Play

TW has taken me through Europe, America and Japan so I'm really looking forward to taking my army to see the sites in India.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Quote Originally Posted by Innocentius
    I hope that CA doesn't focus too much on America just to appeal to the fans.
    I don't see why they would. It's not as if this continent played a significant role in the world during that time. (Indeed, NA wasn't even really a place of much worldwide interest until at least the U.S. Civil War, if not later.) I am admittedly somewhat curious as to how it will work if the Colonies rebel and form their own faction, but otherwise I think the game's focus should remain mostly on Europe, north Africa, & Asia Minor.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Martok
    I don't see why they would. It's not as if this continent played a significant role in the world during that time. (Indeed, NA wasn't even really a place of much worldwide interest until at least the U.S. Civil War, if not later.) I am admittedly somewhat curious as to how it will work if the Colonies rebel and form their own faction, but otherwise I think the game's focus should remain mostly on Europe, north Africa, & Asia Minor.
    That sound's about right more or less, the US was focused primarily on it's own affairs and economic growth, Pres.Washington believed that the US should stay out of European affairs, and for the most part this policy continued untill WWI. I can't speak for British North America though, they remained loyal to the crown alot longer unlike the Americans
    Last edited by Mailman653; 01-09-2008 at 15:24.

Professional Cynic Member Innocentius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Martok
    But then again, CA has previously abandoned historical accuracy in favour of things that will appeal to the audience (like pretty much everything in RTW and M2TW).
    It's not easy being a man, you know. I had to get dressed today... And there are other pressures.

- Dylan Moran

The Play

I really don't think it'll be possible to create a historically accurate picture in India at least. Reason being at the time of the East India company, India was mess of squabbling Rajas, with the Mugals being the namesake rulers. Furthermore, the accession process was more of cunning deals, trade, interference and intimidation. Force was used only when a ruler resisted their policy.
    Unity was achieved partially and that too after 1857. And that sadly is beyond the game's scope......

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Quote Originally Posted by Innocentius
    But then again, CA has previously abandoned historical accuracy in favour of things that will appeal to the audience (like pretty much everything in RTW and M2TW).
    You admittedly have a point there (unfortunately). Still, I have a hard time seeing how CA could justify putting any special emphasis on North America.

Of the continent's three major nations (U.S., Canada, & Mexico), only the U.S. became an independent country during the game's time frame -- and even then Europe seems to have viewed us as little more than a backwater(*). It was really only in the latter half of the 19th century (as we began to heavily industrialize and exploit our natural resources to the full) that we began to have a major impact on world affairs.

(*) Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this point.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

I really like the idea of gunpowder, (mostly because of sharpe books) I think it could be awesome, but I have this nagging feeling its gonna be a bit rubbish.
    Last edited by the greek; 01-14-2008 at 19:56.
    " its funny when you think that if no war had existed there could be no peace ,without war, peace has no oppsite,but in the end it means nothing but what is a idea but words that blossoms in the minds of fickle or brilliant men that give them purpose and to them a meaning ." William Anderson 1781

Quote Originally Posted by Hound of Ulster
    my hope is that CA invest as much time and research into the Mughals and native Americans as they do the Europeans.

That and not going all crazy with the graphics like M2TW.
    In as much as a 5k European style army can defeat a 50k strong Indian Maratha style army (Assaye) I'm with you. My fear is they will make these factions over strong to appeal to those less interested in historical accuracy.
    Last edited by Freedom Onanist; 01-16-2008 at 15:05.
    Cheers,
    The Freedom Onanist

I must say, that while the natives were weaker than the European forces over all yet, it was more due to lack of leadership, than the lack of technology.
    The Maratha armies at Assaye had poor leadership.
    At the same time you also have the example of Tipoo Sultan of Mysore, who defeted a better equipped army of the East India Company in the second Anglo-Mysore War.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

thing is we have been disappointed from CA over and over again... So y should this time be different.

Still some mods (like EB) r gr8 (thanks for EB team and CA for that)...So CA just keep the game as modable as much as possible...

I like the idea of having a TW game take place in colonial times. It depends on whether they can make it work or not. But yeah, I do like the decision.
    "In peace, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus
    and proud.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789