Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: What we would like to see in ETW.....

Default Re: What we would like to see in ETW.....

As people have said before I would like the terrain to play a role in the battles and the units should have names such as the 95th Rifles and things of that sort. If theres gonna be Bagpipes we have to have kilts and to have wing commands as mentioned before so theres not so much micromanagement during a battle.

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sheogorath
    -TosaInu
    So, basically, a Marian Reforms type event, yes?
    Yes, but a Napoleonic reform would be more involving I think. If only because it has to be pulled of in a very short time (you clearly want to see the effect within a decade, in RTW it happened early on and then you had the whole game to use it). Maybe the time should be slowed after the Napoleonic reform? Say 2-4 turns per year in 1700-1800 and 4+ after the reform? That way the game has some extra 'time' to transform and the player to enjoy the toys (totalwar bullettime).
    Ja mata

TosaInu

O.K. FIRST OF ALL I'LL TYPE USING WHATEVER FONT I LIKE AND I DO APOLOGISE IF I COME ON IN A CONDESCENDING MANNER SOMETIMES, BUT MAYBE I WOULDN'T NEED TO IF PEOPLE GOT THEIR FACTS RIGHT.
    THANK YOU ALSO FOR CORRECTING ME ON THE TERM "TACKING" AND THE SAILING LESSON, SORRY I'M A LAND LOVER, BUT I HAD HEARD OF THE TERM BEFORE.
    Are you now finally agreeing with me Sheogorath that "Pikes" were still in small use during the 18th century. Phew it's taken a while to get though to some people,but as everyone can read in the CA write up for ETW the Pike will be one of the hand to hand weapon's used in the game ammittedly probably only in the early stage.I don't think they would mention this if they were only talking about the NCO's and Officer's spontoon.
    Last edited by Frederick the Great; 11-20-2007 at 10:34.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Didn't realize it was a crime to be wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

The topic title is: What we would like to see in ETW.....

This is broad and side discussions are fine, but keep it friendly please.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Of course. I agree with you Tosa, I think they'll have some sort of events that will change the warfare in the game. Probably won't be an easy switch but it would be the right thing IMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

I honestly think that they have put into Empire everything I would really ask for:

1. Better AI (hopefully when they say thier redoing the whole AI they mean the [U]whole[U] AI.)

2. Tons of factions

3. Naval battles

Oh but I would really like for the modding of the game to be simpler and easier then M2 was, although I doubt im gonna have enough time to be modding when theres so many other great games coming out this and next year.

Most of this is won't happen, but what the hell:

-Simultaneously decided turns. Discrete Igo-yougo stuff is unrealistic, and most importantly enables one (human or AI) to force battles too easily. It's also nice to have to seriously consider your opponent's next move.
    -Easier reinforcement of existing units, the details of which I can't be bothered to think about. There should be a way to call up the right amount of men to return any number of under-strength units to full strength.
    -Attrition of armies through weather, disease, malnutrition... not gonna happen.
    -Consideration of supply lines.
    -Rifles. Probably been discussed, but they definitely have a part to play in the latter half of the game's timeline.

EDIT- forgot:
    -The ability to, infrastructure allowing, train more than one unit and build multiple buildings at once.
    -Resources that are more essential and less general than money. Correct me if I'm wrong, but many wars were started (not necessarily in the 18th century) to secure specific and vital resources. For example, ships should require lumber, muskets need lumber and steel, uniforms require wool/cotton, everyone needs food, and so on.
    Last edited by cannon_fodder; 01-23-2008 at 07:21.

Quote Originally Posted by cannon_fodder
    -Easier reinforcement of existing units, the details of which I can't be bothered to think about. There should be a way to call up the right amount of men to return any number of under-strength units to full strength.
    I disagree, I would prefer that when an army operates far from home that regular units are only replenished from their home barracks. In this way cutting a supply line should choke an army of new recruits. Barracks created in an established colony should not be able to train that factions regular units but should create colonial troops local to that region such as Indian Sepoys or Algerian Zouaves. This will also allow greater diversification and troops better suited to the local region.

^ That's what I meant: the replacements are recruited and trained at the home barracks, then have to be shipped over to their appropriate positions (that could be partially automated as well). But at present in TW games there is no way to recruit a non-unit sized group of men short of retraining.

Yeah, you should be able to integrate natives as well.

Question Re: What we would like to see in ETW.....

-Simultaneously decided turns. Discrete Igo-yougo stuff is unrealistic, and most importantly enables one (human or AI) to force battles too easily. It's also nice to have to seriously consider your opponent's next move.
    How do you think that'll be working out?
    I mean, there will ALWAYS be a turn, for example even if you want to get out of a battle the AI forced on you, first you'll have to wait for it to attack and you will in your turn withdraw or act accordingly........
    You can't have all the units moving at the same time or there won't be a game at all.

Furthermore if the turn system problem is ever solved I think CA'll be hitting gold, considering that is the major thing hindering an online playable campaigne.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

-Attrition of armies through weather, disease, malnutrition... not gonna happen.
    I'm with you on this one. European armies campaigning close to home in good weather should not suffer any losses to the environment. However take your army to the field in winter in the Baltic or to the Indies at any time and your losses to mother nature should factor as great a threat as your enemy.

I feel that food should depend on your supply situation. Are you living off the land, if so then stay in one place too long and the local populace should first turn against you. Continue to loiter and the food should run short, increasing the chance of rebellion and decreasing your number to disease and malnutrition. You could avoid this by being supplied from home but allow your your supply line to be broken and your back to living off the land.

-Consideration of supply lines.
    As above the supply routes should not just be critical for trade but also for supplying an army. Light troops should be used to locate the enemy then placing your own units on their supply lines should force them to engage you or withdraw.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Lane
    As above the supply routes should not just be critical for trade but also for supplying an army. Light troops should be used to locate the enemy then placing your own units on their supply lines should force them to engage you or withdraw.
    It would be interesting to have three maps - a strategic map, a combat map, and a new one, a tactical map. From there you could maneuver your armies into a better position to cut off the enemy, etc., and then actually enter the battle menu. It would portray this era of warfare very well, but you'd actually need an AI that sent out at least 3/4 stacks, or it would quickly become boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    It would be interesting to have three maps - a strategic map, a combat map, and a new one, a tactical map. From there you could maneuver your armies into a better position to cut off the enemy, etc., and then actually enter the battle menu. It would portray this era of warfare very well, but you'd actually need an AI that sent out at least 3/4 stacks, or it would quickly become boring.
    I'd love to see light cavalry take up their predominate roll in this era, finding the enemy and concealing your forces from him. Maybe when you commit to arms the battle map starts up 'zoomed out' . You can then use appropriate units to locate and probe the enemy and maneuver your fella's accordingly. When you are ready to engage you can then zoom back to the traditional battle map.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456