Poll: Troop graphics: quantity v quality?

Thread: Troops: Quanity v Quality

Default Troops: Quanity v Quality

With a new engine it begs the question: Will the amount of troops per unit go up? I certainly hope so. While I'm liking the improved units in M2TW better then I would have thought, I still prefer the bigger units of RTW. Seeing a lovely knight hack and slash his way through a crowd of enemies has never been so good to watch. But I rarely get in close enough with the camera to appreciate the very high detail, while looking at a massive army sprawled across a ridge never gets old. The bigger the better I say!
    With gun powder units being the prime troop type, I fear we might not see an increase in troop numbers, as the smoke I'd expect to be part of the game can be a real frame rate killer.

So please, share with us what you would like to see.
    Last edited by Elmar Bijlsma; 08-23-2007 at 14:01.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Troops: Quanity v Quality

I would like to see high detail, but with the option of lots of units as well. Something to cover for all tastes.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Max detail, anything from 20 soldiers per unit (low) to 300 (ultra-giant) unit scale

That would be epic... M2TW doesn't stress my computer enough. :p

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It needs to be able to be toggled. Low graphics low units, high graphics high units.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

I would like the choice. In game, depending on my mood, I would like to have the choice of lots of units but crap detail, or not a lot but painful attention of graphics.

One of the things that I liked about M2:TW was the ability to change most of the graphic settings 'in game' on the battlefield.

Larger troop numbers always gives the impression of a large battle, but I agree that it needs to be scalable. Not everyone will have the same spec PC.

While I quite like 'eye candy' the AI needs to be improved on the battlefield. I've been reading the posts about Shogun and it sounds as if the AI was very good in that game.

If you can ungodly amount of grahpics with ungodly amount of troops. That would be awesome. But obviuosly it will look better then M2TW and it will have more troops. M2TW has more troops then RTW. So anybody saying RTW has more troops doesn't look at troop sizes.

Well from what I've seen my computer in no way can handle this game. Honestly I really liked how the units looked in MTW2, so I have to say that they could look a miniscule amount better, but larger numbers is a must for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmar Bijlsma
    With gun powder units being the prime troop type, I fear we might not see an increase in troop numbers, as the smoke I'd expect to be part of the game can be a real frame rate killer.

So please, share with us what you would like to see.
    Hmmm, I think that it is good if the smoke (of which there would be much) would be "2D simulating 3D" to save performance while still maintaining decent quality. Kind of like the unit sprites but then for smoke. It suspect the smoke could look very nice if done well. It should be possible... anything is possible.
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

More people, graphics the same as M2 would be fine. They should be able to increase the number of soldiers with good optimization...

I'd rather have armys of 30,000 units at say MTW graphics then 2,000 at MTW2 graphics.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Firstly numbers! quality after.
    Quality only affects unit's looking, but size affects its behaviour directly
    But this all must be in options - from lowest to hugest unit scale, same thing with graphic.
    Last edited by Charge; 08-25-2007 at 22:03.

I Still Play Shogun Member ratbarf's Avatar

Point of Interest: They better have a killer UI if they want you to be able to effectively control 30 000 + units. I mean whats the point of having 50 000 men if you can only keep an eye on 30 000 of them??? Plus, Generals back then didn't even do that. They would give vague or general orders and the cammander of that section would handle the minor details. I mean if they didn't do that it would become a mad shortcut mapping spree.... Which would ruin the game for me because I like to give orders, then sit back and watch the magic.
    "The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no ears or eyes" - Adolf Hitler

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
    Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe.

Scrolling for cards... In real battles generals did not command all army full time, some orders before, than corrections.
    Maybe let ai (if he competent) to take some parts of your army.
    10-20,000 in your command and 20,000 ai? Pause at last...

I can deal with uglier troops if it allows me to get armies on the battlefield more often in the 10,000+ range rather than a few thousand. For this era especially. I expect M2TW quality, however, and like the past games, reduced numbers of men on the field than what could be seen historically. Doesn't really bother me if that's the case, as I know I can't get everything I want. I imagine unit detail will be scalable anyways.

Personally I would like the unit detail to remain the same and the armies get larger. Although I don't count on commanding 200,000 troops all at once, I would hope the battles and battlefield will be significantly larger in ETW.

i want some choice like in medieval 2 - max maybe 200-250 units per group nothing like the smell of gunpowder in the mornin' :D

The Ferryman Member trickydicky's Avatar

As long as I can have 10-50 thousand troops on the screen, I'm not that bothered about the quality of the graphics. Within reason that is.

Of course in an ideal world I would want MTW2 graphics and 200,000 + troops
    God Paradox

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Either God wants to abolish evil and cannot, or he can but does not want to, or he cannot and does not want to, or lastly he can and wants to.

If he wants to remove evil, and cannot, he is not omnipotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is not benevolent. If he neither can nor wants to, he is neither omnipotent nor benevolent. But if God can abolish evil and wants to, how does evil exist?

Useful MTW2 Threads

How To Create The Perfect Statesman By Kobald
    A Guide To Guilds By Davybaby
    Useful Strategy Tips Forum Sticky

trickydicky
    As long as I can have 10-50 thousand troops on the screen, I'm not that bothered about the quality of the graphics. Within reason that is.

Of course in an ideal world I would want MTW2 graphics and 200,000 + troops
    No, in ideal we want see up to 500,000 troops and graphics far more better than m2tw

BTW, I can have only 6,000 (RTW) AND 3,000 (MTW2)

EDIT: instead of better graphics it is better to make better animations!
    Last edited by Charge; 08-26-2007 at 16:33.

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

I'd prefer a balance of both.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

i prefer the amazing beuty of troops because that means later on they can update to allow more
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Well considering that by the time of the Seven years war, lines of battle were begining to stretch on for miles, I am really looking foreward to see how they will handle battlefield size. Quantity versus quality odly wins out in this one. Go figure..

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde