Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: What Factions would you like to see in Empire Total War

Default Re: AW: Re: What Factions would you like to see in Empire Total War

In the current issue of German magazine GameStar, China and Japan were confirmed as not being in the game.
    Japan, because it went through one of its isolationists bouts and China because "nothing much happened there during the era of E:TW".

Oh and yes, I'd love to have an Austrian faction playable ;-)

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Default Re: AW: Re: What Factions would you like to see in Empire Total War

Ok, fair enough no China and Japan, but India confirmed I suppose? I hope the East Indies and some territories east of India will be on the map as well, because I don't really like it when the gameplay is affected by the map edge, i.e. you always have your back free if you conquer everything up to the "map edge" in the game. Please include supply losses and include the East Indies/Indonesia/Bangladesh area as provinces, but almost impossible to conquer from the rebel faction, so there's at least a theoretical threat from east of India, apart from those from the north and west caused by other factions, so defensive forces for this purpose are needed!
    Last edited by Rodion Romanovich; 09-04-2007 at 18:36.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: Re: AW: Re: What Factions would you like to see in Empire Total War

Quote Originally Posted by xsintergalactic
    Well, since you think putting Poland-Lithuania in the game is a joke, I suggest that you go and study some history... click on the link, Poland is this tiny light blue country that was the biggest European country at that time (excluding Ottoman Empire, and Tsardom of Muscovy - today's Russia).

History is not marketing my friend. If you think Poland-Lithuania was a minor player in European history, check out the Battle of Vienna of 1683 when Jan III Sobieski saved the Austrian from Ottoman Empire invasion. I must agree with you that Austria-Hungary should be in the game, as it was a major player at that time, Poland is not a substitution. For future please educate yourself before posting, I assure you there is no involvement from the Kaczynski brothers.
    Errm, to whom is your post directed?

Well, in case it was adressed to me:

1. History is not marketing, but marketing is the main reason behind the decisions being made by CA of which factions putting in and which not. If CA wouldn't care about marketing, they'd 1) let Poland and the U.S. out of the game and 2) be bancrupt because of a severe lack of buyers.

2. I know about the battle of Vienna and I am glad it turned out as it did in history, thanks to the Polish King.

3. Regarding history, Jan Sobieski's saving of Vienna was something like Polands last heroic deed. The Polish-Lithuanian Confederacy was rotten from within, and as SaFe stated, territorial expansion is not the key factor in judging a country's importance in a timeframe.

4. We all should educate ourselves, but talking this way is rather offending.

5. I am not your friend if you think I should educate myself.

6. Glad to hear the Kaczynski brothers are not involved.

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: Re: AW: Re: What Factions would you like to see in Empire Total War

Quote Originally Posted by LegioXXXUlpiaVictrix
    Ok, fair enough no China and Japan, but India confirmed I suppose? I hope the East Indies and some territories east of India will be on the map as well, because I don't really like it when the gameplay is affected by the map edge, i.e. you always have your back free if you conquer everything up to the "map edge" in the game. Please include supply losses and include the East Indies/Indonesia/Bangladesh area as provinces, but almost impossible to conquer from the rebel faction, so there's at least a theoretical threat from east of India, apart from those from the north and west caused by other factions, so defensive forces for this purpose are needed!
    I made a little world map with the territories supposed to be in the game, it's in the stickied thread. It looks a bit weird though.

Default Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: What Factions would you like to see in Empire Total War

Nice, I looked at it! The weirdness could be fixed by fog of war, somewhat like in EUII, where the visible parts of the map also has a non-rectangular shape.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Member Member Daithi MacGuillaCathair's Avatar

Default Re: What Factions would you like to see in Empire Total War

Maybe there should be an emerging irish faction as well, that would be great, armys of peasent hordes armed with sythes and pikes , driving cattle infront of them to coverthemselves from the english musket and cannon fire :)

Seriously though poland might make a good addition it covred a large area at the begining of the game period and preventing its historical demise would be a fun challange. but it was not very importnat during this time period.

i think america should also be left out, it played a minor role in this period (appart from the war of independance and the effect it had on france)

Alos why are factions unplayable? even if its too hard it could still be fun.

id like to see a few non european facxtions , perhaps startong off inferior but given the chance to develop.

(sorry for weird words spelling i am in hungary at the moment trying to use a hungarian keyboard with the letters faded off)

I want the Poland-Lithuania commonwealth included! Other than that, you can count on the usual suspects. I'm rather curious about Italy though. How many factions did they have at that point?

Azi
    "If you don't want to work, become a reporter. That awful power, the public opinion of the nation, was created by a horde of self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditch digging and shoemaking and fetched up journalism on their way to the poorhouse."
    Mark Twain 1881

TW games are not about history as it went. They are about hypothetical history. Poland and the Dutch provinces were there in the beginning of the game and would offer some diversity to game play. If USA is in the game they had every right to be in too.

Of course Austria and Hungary should also be in the game as a playable faction. Perhaps also HREGN, the imperial troops from the Reichskreise played an imminent but often overlooked part in the succession wars against the French. Why not crush Prussia and Austria and remain as an empire after kicking the Habsburg emperor from the throne?

To have only 10 playable factions would be a big drawback. F.e. it would be a pity if the Ottomans would be the only non-western playable faction. If Indians or North Africans or Native Americans would have united (it's up to us to achieve this) history would have been different. And please, ever heard of the Scots dominating Europe (in M2TW)?

Everything would be possible, only the historically correct starting points and the economic and military mechanics should be there, CA should let us do the rest.
    Last edited by geala; 09-06-2007 at 13:48.
    The queen commands and we'll obey
    Over the Hills and far away.
    (perhaps from an English Traditional, about 1700 AD)

Drum, Kinder, seid lustig und allesamt bereit:
    Auf, Ansbach-Dragoner! Auf, Ansbach-Bayreuth!
    (later chorus -containing a wrong regimental name for the Bayreuth-Dragoner (DR Nr. 5) - of the "Hohenfriedberger Marsch", reminiscense of a battle in 1745 AD, to the music perhaps of an earlier cuirassier march)

Quote Originally Posted by geala
    TW games are not about history as it went. They are about hypothetical history. Poland and the Dutch provinces were there in the beginning of the game and would offer some diversity to game play. If USA is in the game they had every right to be in too.

Of course Austria and Hungary should also be in the game as a playable faction. Perhaps also HREGN, the imperial troops from the Reichskreise played an imminent but often overlooked part in the succession wars against the French. Why not crush Prussia and Austria and remain as an empire after kicking the Habsburg emperor from the throne?

To have only 10 playable factions would be a big drawback. F.e. it would be a pity if the Ottomans would be the only non-western playable faction. If Indians or North Africans or Native Americans would have united (it's up to us to achieve this) history would have been different. And please, ever heard of the Scots dominating Europe (in M2TW)?

Everything would be possible, only the historically correct starting points and the economic and military mechanics should be there, CA should let us do the rest.
    What rights have the U.S. to be in the game, even if i agree with you about the game is not history replaying.
    At the start date of the game the U.S. simply is a colony of the British, so we should atleast start with a historical correct view of the nations.
    If the U.S. is playxable in a expansion about rebellion i'm more than happy to try them out myself, but if i have to choose about for example a playable Austria or Portugal instead of U.S. in the main programm there should be no question.
    Last edited by SaFe; 09-06-2007 at 14:16.

Yes the purpose of the game is not to be conpletely in line with history (there would be no fun) but to take a nation from a historicaly accurate period and change the outcome. with this in mind i wouldnt mind if america and loads of other nations could be possibly playable, but with only 1ö player nations i would rather see a more powerfull one.

and if are going with the changing a nations destiny line why not include someone like china, they would have a vastly different style of play from the european (and american ) nations. plus were potentionaly a lot more powerful than america. i know they were highly isolationist at the time, but the purpose of the game is to rewrite history yourself.

I think america was only put in for marketing reasons (i am sure many americans would love the idea of playing there own faction)

Personally I think that China, Japan, Africa and South America are being saved for an expansion pack to cover things like the Opium Wars, the Scramble for Africa, and the wars of independence (and War of the Triple Alliance) in Latin America.

The age of revolution would make a nice expansion too.

1000 post member club Member Quid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrauGloer
    Swiss Confederation
    Has to be in, of course, for obvious reasons...

Quid
    ...for it is revenge I seek...

Cry Havoc and let slip the dogs of war
    Juleus Ceasar, Shakespear

ye the swiss, its about time to include them as a faction.

Denmark-Norway, definatly
    "Screw you guys, I'm going home..."
    -Eric Cartman, Southpark

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

The Independance countries. If you know what Im refering to.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

norway and denamerk, plus switzerland participation in these periods were as piddling as my own countrys (ireland), mere side shows to the games of the big powers.

it would be nice to see some non european states to try and hold off the european expasion.

your probably right the bigger asian nations are being left for some expansion, well at least i hope so.

i just hope the styles of play between the various factions is otably different.

thats one f the main reason i like to see different cultures in the game for different styles of play.

Quote Originally Posted by Daithi MacGuillaCathair
    norway and denamerk, plus switzerland participation in these periods were as piddling as my own countrys (ireland), mere side shows to the games of the big powers.
    The Swiss were perhaps not important, and Ireland wasn't a faction at this time, but Denmark-Norway was a power of major importance at the time. The fact they were overrun so quickly in the early Great northern war, and the Napoleonic wars, may hide this fact to some. But first of all they had one of the strongest fleets in Europe at the time - their theoretical ability to ally with the Dutch or Spanish or other possible competitors with Britain was a major factor in politics of the entire 18th century: also in the Napoleonic wars. Although they had lost a lot of land strength after losing Scania (and thereby the Sound straits toll for all trade entering the Baltic), they were not by far an insignificant power even after this. Had they successfully retaken Scania in one of their many wars with Sweden, they could have reestablished it. Or if they had chosen a different diplomatic policy (since most nations opposed the Sound straits toll, attempting to retake Scania and reestablish it would not give them much support, but instead more enemies than they had resources to handle). They also had a chance for exploits and expansion of influence in the northern HRE, and the Swedish army lost plenty of men thanks to the Danish ability to block and harass any troop transports over the Baltic. Had they found a diplomatic method of expanding their influence there, for example, and/or improve their relations with the Dutch, who knows what had happened.
    Last edited by Rodion Romanovich; 09-10-2007 at 19:26.
    Under construction...

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Furious Mental
    Personally I think that China, Japan, Africa and South America are being saved for an expansion pack to cover things like the Opium Wars, the Scramble for Africa, and the wars of independence (and War of the Triple Alliance) in Latin America.
    I would think that the Opium Wars would be a bit one sided.

On one side: Chinese with.........imperial infantry with outdated technology

On the other side: European powers with.........all of the latest technology and more economically powerful
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

1000 post member club Member Quid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LegioXXXUlpiaVictrix
    The Swiss were perhaps not important...
    You are right, of course, we did bugger all until 1842, but I still can't get over the fact that we weren't included in Medievil...Tragic, that. So a little compensation is in order...

Quid
    ...for it is revenge I seek...

Cry Havoc and let slip the dogs of war
    Juleus Ceasar, Shakespear

What about Russia, its a relativly big place, or is it not included in the map, it be a strange one to leave out considering its size.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

I'd expect Russia to be in the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Russia has already been confirmed to be in
    Under construction...

sorry missed that , dont know how

Assassins Guild Member The Outsider's Avatar

Smile Re: What Factions would you like to see in Empire Total War

Quote Originally Posted by Denali
    ye the swiss, its about time to include them as a faction.
    But u can still play them in medieval total war there in the late era and u just need to unlock them, i must admit they were pretty good.

I agree with those who've said that HRE should not be a single state. It's just horribly inaccurate. Instead, make several factions out of it and if need be make the rest rebels.
    First Secretary Rodion Malinovsky of the C.P.S.U.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=86316

12th Century Glory!
    http://z14.invisionfree.com/12th_Cen...d7dc28&act=idx

"I can do anything I want, I'm eccentric! HAHAHA!"-Rat Race

Do you think the Golden Rule should apply to masochists as well?

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature. yes that's right i dont listen rap..

This might sound silly, but I would like to see the Iroquois put in the game. Probably as an non playable faction. Had they not allied with the British, I might be speaking French now. I have enough problems with enuciation as it is .

french and indian war will definitely feature (i hope) :P

I would like to see the Jacobite Rebellion in like a historic campaign or something because the last battle on British soil was fought in that rebellion.
    And in the middle of the game they could make the Scots or Irish rebel or somethin like that.

MON UNITED!

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ninjahboy
    french and indian war will definitely feature (i hope) :P
    Heh, I hope due emphasis is placed on the European part of the conflict. It'd be great as a mini campaign, with at least Prussia, Russians and the Austrians, with French and English intervention to boot.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast