Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Empire: Total War Summary Thread

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

Default Re: Empire: Total War Summary Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ichigo
    I don't see why they don't extend the end date to the late 1800s. I don't think warfare changed too much until WWI when multi-shot rifles came into the picture, but I'm no expert I could be wrong.
    A great deal of military advancement happened in the American Civil War so I think the latest they could go would be about the 1850's.
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Empire: Total War Summary Thread

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen
    Confirmed:

- Real-Time 3D Naval Warfare
    If this aint no reason for BIG celebration, nothing is! Away for a couple months and CA surprises with my greatest wish in a TW. I'm happy!
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouzafphaerre

If this aint no reason for BIG celebration, nothing is! Away for a couple months and CA surprises with my greatest wish in a TW. I'm happy!
    Welcome Mouza to the TW.org! I know some members will be happy to know that you are alive!

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

LOL! Thanks mate.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

1700-1800

meaning 4 turns per year?

Quote Originally Posted by Martok
    I highly doubt CA will ever make the Civil War for the TW series regardless. With only two main factions, the American Civil War wouldn't translate very well to the TW style of play.
    Wouldn't need to be two factions, though. If it's done like Kingdoms, with one "mod" among others, you could have:

USA and CSA, are of course set, but you could have various allied states representing the border-wars of kansas and missouri and the like.

British, French, Prussians (as allies for one of the two Americas)
    Mexicans threatening the South after the Civil War has settled in 1861. Just imagine if Juarez wouldn't have served as President and/or the French came a little sooner...

And of course: Indians! The Cherokee in the South, the Sioux in the North... Claiming indepence from the paleskins.

Not necessarily 100% accurate, but I'd play that. ;)

Nappy will be in. You may want to add that.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Pining for the glory days... Member lancelot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Martok
    I highly doubt CA will ever make the Civil War for the TW series regardless. With only two main factions, the American Civil War wouldn't translate very well to the TW style of play.
    Not necesarily, a part of the problem of the US civil war was strategy had not evolved much since napoleonic times, generals were still modelling themselves on such men- having one arm in their coat etc etc.

Close order combat was still the norm- the problem was that while strategy and tactics had not evolved the weapons had- meaning that ranges were a lot longer in the ACW. You needed close order to have a chance of hitting anything in napoleonic times. Hence casulaties were much higher.

Combat-wise, Id say you could take the game to about the ACW times- not that much later tho. Of course- politically and map wise, perhaps not.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty" Lord Nelson

"Extinction to all traitors" Megatron

"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such." Homer Simpson

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

By the end of the ACW there was rather complex trench warfare.

Wow, that looks like a really cool game, i know im going to get that when it comes out

A thing i am shure off is that the CA have two options for expantion "naplonic wars" and "american civil war" .. well, as a Europeean i dont give a crap about your war, and wuld much more have a realy fun campain as the british defending my borders from the french, or french allie Denmark - Norway depending on the french sucsess in the war for my own suvival.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Quote Originally Posted by lancelot
    Combat-wise, Id say you could take the game to about the ACW times- not that much later tho. Of course- politically and map wise, perhaps not.
    It is indeed the political/diplomatic aspect that'd prevent CA from making an American Civil War game/expansion. (I concede that the combat itself could be interesting.) With only two primary factions -- the Union & Confederacy -- an ACW:TW game would be pretty boring.

Quote Originally Posted by A Norsemen
    A thing i am shure off is that the CA have two options for expantion "naplonic wars" and "american civil war" .. well, as a Europeean i dont give a crap about your war, and wuld much more have a realy fun campain as the british defending my borders from the french, or french allie Denmark - Norway depending on the french sucsess in the war for my own suvival.
    As an American of primarily Scandanavian descent (Syttende Mai is a major celebration in my mom's hometown), I'll assume you meant no offense by your words.

In any case, I largely agree with your assessment -- a Total War title based on the American Civil War would be extremely uninteresting to me. Not that I don't find the Civil War boring in & of itself, but (as I've said before and will continue to do so) it's a period that doesn't lend itself well to the TW-style of gameplay.
    Last edited by Martok; 10-04-2007 at 22:48.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic/21848
    Dont know if this have been posted before, nice little heap of info there

And yea, i did not mean any offence to americans, i youst dont care enogh about their internal wars to buy a game about it.
    Last edited by A Norseman; 10-08-2007 at 19:07.

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A Norseman
    http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic/21848

DSunno if thius have been posted before, nice little heap of info there
    Thats a lot of info!

pever, update the first post.

Is this info oficially?

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

I didn't care much about this game, as I thought it was just gonna be another failure, but I was bored and stumbled in here, and holy !@#!@ I want to get this, the ideas and stuff sound amazing, dang I can't wait till this comes out, I'm hyped.
    "I thought CA was unarmed? Unless he got some samurai swords or something... I only got some rocks and some sticks." Shlin in BR realizing he has no weapons what so ever.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Waldinger
    A great deal of military advancement happened in the American Civil War so I think the latest they could go would be about the 1850's.
    I'm not very good with technical parts, but what advancements? I've read that there is going to be earth walls in the game, which I assume is basically a trench.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Platinum Member Member Anonymous II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K COSSACK
    1700-1800

meaning 4 turns per year?
    That would have been great in terms of seasons and all. But 400 turns? That would be a loong campaign.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ichigo
    I'm not very good with technical parts, but what advancements? I've read that there is going to be earth walls in the game, which I assume is basically a trench.
    Gatling guns, small unit tactics, and balloon reconnaissance, to name a few. Much changed on both tactical and technical aspects of warfare.

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    Gatling guns, small unit tactics, and balloon reconnaissance, to name a few. Much changed on both tactical and technical aspects of warfare.
    Gatling guns and small unit tactics are pretty out of the scope from what I've heard. 1700-1820, right?
    Gatling guns were first used seriously just after the American Civil War. Small unit tactics came a little bit before, but I gather that the idea of this game is grand musket battles, and that we wont be seeing a significant rifle presence, which is what you need for small unit tactics to work.
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sheogorath
    Gatling guns and small unit tactics are pretty out of the scope from what I've heard. 1700-1820, right?
    Gatling guns were first used seriously just after the American Civil War. Small unit tactics came a little bit before, but I gather that the idea of this game is grand musket battles, and that we wont be seeing a significant rifle presence, which is what you need for small unit tactics to work.
    Yes, I was talking about why the American Civil War couldn't be included, as tactics and weaponry changed over that time frame.

Crazy crazy, I'm going to get crazy waiting till september next year, I don't know how'll I pass the time, maybe by reading all these threads over and over again
    Anyway, does anybody know what might be the approximate system requirements for this game?

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Quote Originally Posted by asj_india
    Crazy crazy, I'm going to get crazy waiting till september next year, I don't know how'll I pass the time, maybe by reading all these threads over and over again
    Anyway, does anybody know what might be the approximate system requirements for this game?
    No, but one can guess from the screenshots. Probably, lots of RAM, good vid card(s), lots of processor speed, etc.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

Here is eom new info if it hasn't been posted: New ETW Info

Quote Originally Posted by derfinsterling
    Wouldn't need to be two factions, though. If it's done like Kingdoms, with one "mod" among others, you could have:

USA and CSA, are of course set, but you could have various allied states representing the border-wars of kansas and missouri and the like.

British, French, Prussians (as allies for one of the two Americas)
    Mexicans threatening the South after the Civil War has settled in 1861. Just imagine if Juarez wouldn't have served as President and/or the French came a little sooner...

And of course: Indians! The Cherokee in the South, the Sioux in the North... Claiming indepence from the paleskins.

Not necessarily 100% accurate, but I'd play that. ;)
    The American Civil War was mostly about the Union and the Confederacy. What most people do not realize that in that period the west was being colonised. One of the main reasons the war broke out was the question if slavery should be abolished or approved in the Wild West. The Union said abolish and the CSA said approve.

Of course there were more factors that leaded to the conflict, but from an historical point of view, all states were seen as a seperate country. Hence the name Confederation. (wiki it if you need a defenition, compare it to Union and you see the difference).

Don't forget that the Mexican war, for instance, was fought only a few decades earlier (1846-1848 to be exact) or the Spanish-American war (1898) or the indian wars (intermittently from 1622-1890).

So factions should me more than enough, Union, Confederacy, New-Hispania, Mexico and several Native American tribes (wich should be enough, since M2TW:K campaigns only have about 5-10 factions each)

I will give no storylines, timelines whatsoever, I am just trying to make my point that a Civil War expansion (or In game Inclusion) is possible.

- Pierre

I love this Period of history.
    I support Israel

REX POLONIAE Moderator KLAssurbanipal's Avatar

For members who can't wait for Empire TW I am making new mod. :)

SWEDEN UNITS (Part 1)

Cavalry:

Grenadier:

Musketeer:

Tomorrow: Russian Units - Part 1
    Last edited by KLAssurbanipal; 10-31-2007 at 16:30.

Quote Originally Posted by King Louise Assurbanipal

SWEDEN UNITS (Part 1)

Cavalry:

Grenadier:

Musketeer:

Are it just a collection of units, or will it be a complete overhaul?

Can someone explain to me, exactly what you mean When you say the Campaign map will no longer be tiled?

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

At this point in time, the map is a grid. The Army/City/Boat occupies one grid. Thats like a giant chessboard. You can only go in certain tiles, and those tiles influence the battle map that they have. This is how you can surround an inquisitor with 8 stacks of 1 unit, then bring a final one on top of it. Because the enemy unit has no where to go, it is destroyed.

On another note, please, I asked in the original post: Can this thread be posted in with only information with sources.
    I check this thread during school, and while i love the discussion and such, i would prefer another thread be started, and keep this one clean. If it gets worse, I may ask Tosa to clear a few posts, to keep this thread clean.
    Last edited by pevergreen; 10-31-2007 at 11:24.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by King Louise Assurbanipal

SWEDEN UNITS (Part 1)

Cavalry:

Grenadier:

Musketeer:

Hallo, this for M2TW???? If yes, when can start downloading it?? I'm one the guys who can't wait for ETW!!!

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast