Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Original MTW Lives On!!

If I told you, I'd have to kill you. England.

Default Re: Original MTW Lives On!!

My role-playing has continued...I mean, last night, I received word that a Portuguese fleet and a Moorish fleet have engaged in combat...information is not forthcoming on this issue, it seems there are two accounts of what happened. The first is that the Portuguese fleet commander let his hatred of the Moors get the better of him, and made a rash act, attacking the Moors. The second is that there were informers amongst the ranks of each of the Iberian houses, or at least one of them, and the Moors found out about our plans that way...regardless, El Cid of Aragon can only wait a few turns more for additional soldiers, and then he must march on the Black Gate...sorry, I mean Murcia . Lord Sauron's forces...I mean, sorry, Khalifah Al Mustali I's forces, are gathering strength, and a dark cloud lies over Iberia.

Hehe...that's the sort of thing I imagine. I foolishly built El Cid's army up in Valencia, so the Almoravids (I keep referring to them as the Moors here...sounds cooler, anyway, and more foreboding) responded by placing a large army in Murcia. Rather than blame myself for poor decision making, I can role play it so that somehow, the Moors found out about this army, and responded in kind. I move El Cid to Aragon - well, to see if I can't trick the Moors. I even imagine that there are 'accounts' of in-fighting between the Iberian houses to deceive the Moors for a while longer, to see if they don't take my army seriously. Unfortunately, the Reconquista has started sooner than I would have liked, but I must move on Murcia. My fleet isn't sufficient, but cutting off the Moorish Khalifah from his Iberian holdings, and cutting off reinforcements from Northern Africa, might be a very decisive move.

See? You just can't do these same things in RTW and M2TW. I like the chess-style campaign map for these reasons. It's so strategic and tactical. I also like the way sea regions are handled - in XL, the AI handles ships well - some of the time, anyway. I just can't describe the feeling I get from the map's mechanics...

Of course, I merely went back to MTW for a dive into nostalgia last Summer. I never realised it'd be this much fun. All those years ago, in 2002, when I first delved into the world of Total War...I hadn't the foggiest of what the heck I was doing. I loved the game, but it died into obscurity. My next foray into TW was with Rome, which was great for a time.

I remember a Byzantine campaign from the good old days...bribing just about every rebel general and forging a massive empire that way. And continuously losing Constantinople to the Eggies each turn, and bribing it back each turn or so. LOL! That was one campaign where, magically, I didn't get negative income for some reason . I just could never figure out how to keep in positive income for the most part...or how to stop assassins...LOL! I was totally clueless. Heh...Clueless: Total War - lead such greats as Inspector Morse or Sherlock Holmes into battle against devious murderers lurking in the shadows; command hundreds of different law-enforcement officers, including the Bobby; employ weapons such as the siren or baton in battle; a campaign spanning entire rural areas and boroughs of London...LOL!
    I believe in a society without rules, laws and regulations. A society where there are only ideas - strict ideas that must be followed to by the letter - and any failure to comply is punishable by death. This would be no dictatorship or police state, no one would be living in terror. It would merely be a 'reassessment of one's preferences,' people living in 'not-so-optimistic security.' So, welcome, those who are 'longing to be blindly obedient and loyal, unbeknownst to them.'

Hun of a kind Member Glyndwr in the Soke's Avatar
    West of the Soke... Can't change my name atm.

Question Re: Original MTW Lives On!!

Ahem...
    Regarding MTW's continued existence:

I have not found a thread on the effects of Vista on the two old games, so could you either point me that way or tell me whether Microsoft's latest will pose a threat to my playing of this, the best installment of the TW games? Of course, that would also endanger MTW on the whole, would it not?

Sorry if I have overlooked a thread, but my search was inconclusive.

Take yer pick.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaidonni
    Lord Sauron's forces...I mean, sorry, Khalifah Al Mustali I's forces, are gathering strength, and a dark cloud lies over Iberia.
    I wish you luck as you prepare to resist the might of Mord...er, I mean the Caliphate.

Quote Originally Posted by Glyndwr in Hwicce
    Ahem...
    Regarding MTW's continued existence:

I have not found a thread on the effects of Vista on the two old games, so could you either point me that way or tell me whether Microsoft's latest will pose a threat to my playing of this, the best installment of the TW games? Of course, that would also endanger MTW on the whole, would it not?

Sorry if I have overlooked a thread, but my search was inconclusive.
    I recall reading over at the official forums that at least a couple people have had issues playing MTW on Vista, but I don't know whether it's truly a widespread problem or it it's just limited to an unfortunate few.

To be honest, I suspect you may have a hard time finding someone to really answer to your question. Many people who play MTW -- indeed, maybe even most of us -- have older machines, and therefore wouldn't bother to get Vista in the first place. And for those of us (like myself) who have newer PC's capable of running Vista, many are sticking with XP anyway (heck, there's probably folks here who still have Windows 98). Most of us probably see no real reason to change.

I myself will probably never purchase Vista in any case. I play too many older games (from before 2000) that wouldn't run on Vista for it to be worthwhile for me to ever get it.
    Last edited by Martok; 09-27-2007 at 21:46.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Ludens, well met indeed.

Martok, thanks for pointing out the Pocket Mod; I'll give it a try at first chance.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

I think Tomisama and JochiKhan had similar troubles with Vista, but they both came over them, since they now play SWs for MTW/VI MP regularly.

This thread in the Jousting fields might help:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=86491

Noir

I would keep away from Vista at any rate. Switching operating systems without any pressing reason will do more harm than a semi-incomplete TW game.

If I told you, I'd have to kill you. England.

Quote Originally Posted by Martok
    I wish you luck as you prepare to resist the might of Mord...er, I mean the Caliphate.
    I will need that luck!

The Castile-Leonese still have not acted...I fear that the Steward of Gondor...sorry, I mean King Alfonso VI, does not take the Dark Lord's...*ahem*, Khalifah Yusuf I's threat that seriously (I said Al Mustali I before...I was kind of off...).

The Portuguese have only gone and got themselves wiped out, too!

I did a little mess around to see if moving my ships would have changed the latter (seeing if I could cut the Khalifah off from his lands via blockading the Straits of Gilbraltar), but seeing what would happen was that nothing would change and my fleet would be crushed, so I resumed normal play. The sacrifices of Portugal shall not be in vain!

It looks like Spain will soon see the Return of it's King...King Sancho I! I hope...

Almoravids! Grah!
    I believe in a society without rules, laws and regulations. A society where there are only ideas - strict ideas that must be followed to by the letter - and any failure to comply is punishable by death. This would be no dictatorship or police state, no one would be living in terror. It would merely be a 'reassessment of one's preferences,' people living in 'not-so-optimistic security.' So, welcome, those who are 'longing to be blindly obedient and loyal, unbeknownst to them.'

..fears no adversary Senior Member Jochi Khan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noir
    I think Tomisama and JochiKhan had similar troubles with Vista, but they both came over them, since they now play SWs for MTW/VI MP regularly.

This thread in the Jousting fields might help:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=86491

Noir
    For clarification: It was Tomisama who had the problem, Orda Khan (not Jochi Khan) has not. See his reply here...https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...78&postcount=3
    It turned out to be the Graphics card.

I am using Windows XP.
    Last edited by Jochi Khan; 09-27-2007 at 23:32.
    R.I.P Great Warrior Ja mata TosaInu

sat at the..Nomad Alliance..campfire

Do your best and do it according to your own inner standard
    --call it conscience--
    not just according to society's knowledge and judgement of your deeds.

i stand corrected

Hun of a kind Member Glyndwr in the Soke's Avatar
    West of the Soke... Can't change my name atm.

Arrow Re: Original MTW Lives On!!

Thanks for those threads.

I would personally also like to avoid Vista like the plague, but I might have to buy a laptop for work, and most of the models I have seen have Vista installed. And I am not going to get another version of XP, just for that.

Perhaps I'll just be limited to work without being able to run my beloved games. I'll just have to take a chance.

Take yer pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouzafphaerre

Here is the original thread for Modlet I. It evolved very much from that point on, with most valuable contributions of Solo, Eastside Character, Tricky Lady, PseRamesses, Dead Moroz, later Forgus and many others. A considerable database of accurate namelists were made. Unfortunately the ad-sponsored host demolished the forum and I lost my backup together with the latest progress in an HD crash.

Worst of all, I lost contact with Solo, who quit TotalWar. He might have made a backup of the forum database.
    I have great news!

I've just discovered that pretty much of what's supposed to have gone actually survived! A few dozens of namelists by Solo and others mentioned above are now on my HD. Today I worked long on implementing some of them -basically faction and province/town names and titles- and I'm going on.

Tomorrow I'll -hopefully- start a new job but I don't expect the schedule to be too tight. The office is a ten minute walk from home anyway. So, expect the return of the infamous modlet in a few weeks or sooner.
    Last edited by Mouzafphaerre; 09-28-2007 at 23:43.

Host Member Maeda Path Champion, Arkanoid Champion, 3D SuperBall Champion, Simon Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Breakout Champion Zain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glyndwr in Hwicce
    Thanks for those threads.

I would personally also like to avoid Vista like the plague, but I might have to buy a laptop for work, and most of the models I have seen have Vista installed. And I am not going to get another version of XP, just for that.

Perhaps I'll just be limited to work without being able to run my beloved games. I'll just have to take a chance.
    I recently bought a new computer with Vista on it. It's not as bad as most people are saying, if you computer has enough RAM and a good enough Processor.

Plus, might as well get used to it. I heard after Christmas this year they're going to stop installing XP onto computers and make them all Vista.

Just like they did with XP back when everyone hated it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouzafphaerre

I have great news!

I've just discovered that pretty much of what's supposed to have gone actually survived! A few dozens of namelists by Solo and others mentioned above are now on my HD. Today I worked long on implementing some of them -basically faction and province/town names and titles- and I'm going on.

Tomorrow I'll -hopefully- start a new job but I don't expect the schedule to be too tight. The office is a ten minute walk from home anyway. So, expect the return of the infamous modlet in a few weeks or sooner.
    Outstanding, Mouza. Looking forward to seeing what you've got.

Quote Originally Posted by Martok
    Outstanding, Mouza. Looking forward to seeing what you've got.
    Thanks Martok. I hope it can live up to deserving your support.

Dragon's Fire Member Swiss Halberd Pike Landsknecht's Avatar
    In the keep of my Norman influenced motte-and-bailey as a provincial Daimyō, guarded by my loyal huscarls, Swiss Guard, longbowmen & handgonners.

this is probably a stupid question

but in Campaign mode does the size of units change when you change it in the 'performance' section? i.e from default to huge,

if not, then I guess it only affects custom battles, also which setting do you guys usually play for (not sure if it affects campaign) also for STW, i.e 'default, large, or huge unit sizes'

Not a stupid question, it does change in campaign mode also. I play on huge unit size, but I appear to be one of the rare ones. Many play on default or large size.

In the keep of my Norman influenced motte-and-bailey as a provincial Daimyō, guarded by my loyal huscarls, Swiss Guard, longbowmen & handgonners.

ah thanks for the info

Off topic: I feel it is my duty to also point out that usernames do not have to be all one word, that is the (underscore) "_" characters are not needed. If you go to the usercp and "edit username and password" you can change your username to exactly the same name without the underscores. This will also allow your long username to flow over two lines and resize dynamically according to a users browser settings and desktop resolution and prevemt it from deforming the post row.

Quote Originally Posted by Cambyses II
    Off topic: I feel it is my duty to also point out that usernames do not have to be all one word, that is the (underscore) "_" characters are not needed. If you go to the usercp and "edit username and password" you can change your username to exactly the same name without the underscores. This will also allow your long username to flow over two lines and resize dynamically according to a users browser settings and desktop resolution and prevemt it from deforming the post row.

thanks didn't know that

EDIT:

Wow didn't know that would happen, now it no longer takes up so much space, thank you
    Last edited by Swiss Halberd Pike Landsknecht; 10-02-2007 at 15:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Halberd Pike Landsknecht
    thanks didn't know that

EDIT:

Wow didn't know that would happen, now it no longer takes up so much space, thank you

Senior Member Senior Member gaijinalways's Avatar

It is a great game, I still only own the vanilla version of MTW. I have been playing Railroad Tycoon II recently, but I know one day I'll load up another MTW game!

Many thanks to a lot fot eh veteran players here who have helped me in a few campaigns. I'll probably need help again as my last game was some time earlier this year (maybe last year) and I've probably forgotten how to play on expert level again!
    Last edited by gaijinalways; 10-09-2007 at 09:04.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijinalways
    and I've probably forgotten how to play on expert level again!
    And then there are some of us who've never played on Expert at all....
    Last edited by Martok; 10-09-2007 at 23:27.

Just lost 10+ hours of gameplay to an unexpected CDT...

Ouch, mate. That really smarts! I feel your pain, Mouza.

I still play MTW today and think it's by far my favourite TW game though I own all of them and the expansions. Sure, diplomacy is lacking but I absolutely adore the tabletop strategy aspect of the strat map. Rome had a wonderful battle engine but the stratmap for that was so disappointing so I always go back to MTW.

I just this past month finished an Italian, Turkish and Russian campaign and now my Danish one is gathering momentum having defeated the red fleet and taken Britain while the English were playing away in Germany. Time to expand ;)

MTW will not go quietly into the night........at least not for me! I just starting playing again a few nights ago, and have had a couple of late night, blurry eye, one more turn sessions just like when it was new.

Long live the Polish Empire!
    Long live unpredictable AI!
    Long live the Horde!

LONG LIVE MEDIEVAL TOTAL WAR!
    What, you never seen a Polock in Viking Armor on a Camel?

My current campaign is also Polish!

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Come to think of it, I keep my copy of MTW bought in 2002 or 2003 as a sacred item. Inside it has everything, plus I crammed in the VI manual and the VI CD.

Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by YourLordandConqueror
    Sorry, what I meant was fatigue in general, not fatigue through armor upgrades. Armor upgrades represent (in my mind at least) improved armor, not just more armor. Thus, gold armor means well crafted armor of the finest quality, and therefore was both light and and durable
    Or could it mean full plate or part-plate armour instead of the hauberks of the 1080s? As time when on, the chivalrous encased themselves in more and more chainmail too... armour on the Third Crusade was a heck of a lot heavier than the leather jerkins of the First... despite being "upgrades".
    Last edited by Frankymole; 10-30-2007 at 14:54.

You know...

I started this thread 3.5 months ago and during it, my computer had problems (how ironic, considering what's discussed in the thread heh).

Apologies, I never meant to appear rude by starting this thread and just disappearing like that.

Let me catch up on things around here a bit...heh.

Bottom Line? To this very moment, Original MTW Lives On!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast