Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Original MTW Lives On!!

Default Re: Original MTW Lives On!!

Quote Originally Posted by Martok
    Note: I have not played Medieval 2 very thoroughly -- I've probably not spent more than 15-20 hours on the game in total, plus I've not played it in the last 6 months -- so take my words with as many grains of salt as you're comfortable with. That said, my impressions are as follows:

Medieval 2 is....okay. It's not a bad game, but it's not a great game either. While it is a noticable improvement over Rome, that's not really saying much IMO.

Pros: Obviously, when zoomed in, combat is somewhat better than MTW from a visual/graphical standpoint. The controls and UI are a little more user-friendly, particularly the battle interface. The combat AI is a little better this time around. Although Inquisitors in Medieval 2 have an annoying tendency of burning your best generals for heresey, I overall like how religion is handled in the game -- Papal elections (and the political maneuvering that goes on behind them) can be pretty fun. The castle/city system is an interesting innovation as well, as it adds another layer of strategy (do you focus your province(s) on either primarily making money or producing troops?).

Cons: Remember what I said about Medieval 2 being better graphically? Well that doesn't apply to battles from the "general's view" (zoomed out); in fact, MTW still looks better in this regard. Nor does it apply to the campaign map, which -- despite the fact it's now set in a 3D environment -- still looks just as cartoonish as it did in Rome. Diplomacy is still broken, despite the more sophisticated model in M2TW; factions will still attack you for little or no reason, and refuse to sign peace treaties even when it's clearly in their best interests to do so. The AI, while not quite as bad in RTW, is still not exactly a strategic *or* tactical mastermind. In battle, it still isn't particularly clever or imaginative. On the campaign map, the computer still leaves cities under-defended....despite the fact that it probably has a couple good-sized army stacks nearby (that are often just standing around doing nothing).

As another demerit, I positively hate the fact that when you install & play Medieval 2, you're limited to only 5 initial factions (English, French, Germans, Italians/Venitians, & Spanish). In order to unlock the other playable factions, you must first beat the game with one of those 5 factions. Yes, I know that everyone says this is easy to mod so all factions are playable right away; but that's hardly the point. The point is, you shouldn't *have* to mod the game just so you can play as all the factions from the start. It's maybe a minor complaint overall, but one that I strongly disapprove of.

In the end, despite the numerous improvements and added bells & whistles, M2TW basically feels like Rome with a medieval skin. If the Total War games were women, I would describe them as the following:

MTW: She's the cute librarian who always flirts with you when go in to return/check out a book. She's smart and funny, and likes talking about all sorts of different subjects, be it the nature of the universe or the local sports team.

RTW: She's the incredibly hot blonde that you've wanted from when you first met her. When you finally hook up with her, though, you find out she's not only shallow and dumb as toast, but that she's not even very good in bed.

M2TW: She's the dumb blonde's brunette friend, who -- while only marginally more intelligent -- is still at least smart enough to not want to be viewed the same way as her. So she gets a make-over, and then does her best to look and act like that cute librarian you always run into. In the end, however, she can't cover up the fact that she doesn't have much more intelligence & personality than the blonde.

I've said it over and over and over again: MTW (and Shogun, for that matter) actually immerse me in the world. Medieval 2 (and Rome) just feel like I'm "playing a game".
    /signed

If I told you, I'd have to kill you. England.

One thing that never happened in Rome or M2TW - my butt being handed to me on a nice, golden, shiny platter, as part of a twelve-course meal, complete with all those posh forks, knives, spoons, glasses and so on, along a banquet table in a king's high palace. That happened today, with me playing as Bohemia...Expert it is, then. MTW's battles are just so decisive - winning or losing can determine the fate of a campaign, or the direction you will have to take if you survive. Makes it all the more interesting. So, I will *sign* Martok's great post, just as ArtistofWarfare has done.

*takes quill, dips it in ink, and signs Martok's post*

Now I'm off to try Aragon on Expert on XL. Might be a better choice than Bohemia...I hope.
    I believe in a society without rules, laws and regulations. A society where there are only ideas - strict ideas that must be followed to by the letter - and any failure to comply is punishable by death. This would be no dictatorship or police state, no one would be living in terror. It would merely be a 'reassessment of one's preferences,' people living in 'not-so-optimistic security.' So, welcome, those who are 'longing to be blindly obedient and loyal, unbeknownst to them.'

I really enjoy the "less"of everything of MTW and Shogun. I ve now gone back to MTW 1.1 and restarted my Egyptian campaign afresh-and it s a very fresh experience.

As Kaidonni mentions, its a much more decisive experience-you really have to put things on the line, and decide for instance if you re going to sacrifice units for the greater goal, or pull out. Great for chronic indeciders (?) like me.

The RTW campaign map is my big beef- its too crowded,and just when I want absolute silence to decide my campaign move along comes "Settlement under siege,sir!" and "Aye! Aye! Sir". (Or words to that effect) Its irritating.

Can you mod it so that those guys on the campaign map have a wrestling match?
    A single leaf falls,
    then suddenly another,
    stolen by the breeze

RANSETSU (1654-1707)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaidonni
    One thing that never happened in Rome or M2TW - my butt being handed to me on a nice, golden, shiny platter, as part of a twelve-course meal, complete with all those posh forks, knives, spoons, glasses and so on, along a banquet table in a king's high palace. That happened today, with me playing as Bohemia...Expert it is, then. MTW's battles are just so decisive - winning or losing can determine the fate of a campaign, or the direction you will have to take if you survive. Makes it all the more interesting. So, I will *sign* Martok's great post, just as ArtistofWarfare has done.

*takes quill, dips it in ink, and signs Martok's post*

Now I'm off to try Aragon on Expert on XL. Might be a better choice than Bohemia...I hope.
    Indeed...

My intellect is tested with MTW moreso than RTW or M2TW.

It's far more strategic and decisive for sure. The influence effects on your different generals alone makes it 2x the strategic event that the other games are.

You wind up dealing with realistic expansion issues...

Edit:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=85054

My first glance in the M2TW forums in...god knows how long. Anyway, it only took about 6 seconds to find this thread. This is what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by ArtistofWarfare; 02-19-2008 at 04:31.

Harbinger of the Doomed Rat Member Biggus Diccus's Avatar

The original MTW still lives for me too. Reinstalled it a couple of days ago and connected my old 17" lcd again (mtw doesn't look too good on a 24" widescreen ). Luckily for me the game works flawlessly on my new ATI gfx card. Installed it and copied the install to new directories to install a few mods.

I have played RTW (+BI+Alexander) a lot and find it pretty fun. The battles are a lot more arcade-like but still fun. There are a lot of excellent mods for RTW that give a totally different experience than vanilla, my favourites are Chivalry and EB. The Civ-like strategic interface makes for more micro management and more 'pointless' battles, and it makes it more difficult for the AI to perform than in a risk-like map though.

MTW2 introduces some amazing graphics for the battles, but the UI looks really unfinished and rushed. It makes it no better that the UI does not scale with widescreen resolution, but is stretched. In addition the unit cards and leader cards look really bad. A BIG step back from the original MTW for sure. The crazy number of v&v's for family members and no option to choose your heir puts a 'dynasty builder' like myself off too. But last but not least; the battles in MTW2 may look good, but they have become really tedious for me. Infantry not performing because of 'anti-blob'-mechanics, cavalry requiring lots of micromanagement to charge, archers/crossbowmen firing at 90 degree angles etc.
    Last edited by Biggus Diccus; 02-19-2008 at 07:09.
    General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmaney Melchett: That's the spirit, George. If nothing else works, then a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

This thread deserves to be on the front page!

Besides, here is a fun-fact for you faithful MTW-players: The Prime Minister of Norway, a Social Democrat called Jens Stoltenberg, plays strategy games on his PC in his spare time. One of his favourites is MTW and he claims that it is a lot like his day job! ;-)

Yea me to !! all the same just love this forum i never know it was here on google but i.v stumbled apon heaven ... great can,t wait for the weekend

Medieval 2 Scots vs. English - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-ikunhj-k4

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Martok
    MTW: She's the cute librarian who always flirts with you when go in to return/check out a book. She's smart and funny, and likes talking about all sorts of different subjects, be it the nature of the universe or the local sports team.

RTW: She's the incredibly hot blonde that you've wanted from when you first met her. When you finally hook up with her, though, you find out she's not only shallow and dumb as toast, but that she's not even very good in bed.

M2TW: She's the dumb blonde's brunette friend, who -- while only marginally more intelligent -- is still at least smart enough to not want to be viewed the same way as her. So she gets a make-over, and then does her best to look and act like that cute librarian you always run into. In the end, however, she can't cover up the fact that she doesn't have much more intelligence & personality than the blonde.
    Best, Analogy. EVER!
    Last edited by naut; 04-09-2008 at 15:09.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Yes welcome to the forum... i have been addicted to mtw vi for ages...i play vanlla and tis rly addicting
    If living is nothing dieing is nothing then nothing is everything and everything is nothing

MY main issue is the CTD with newer graphics cards.I play many games,but MTW a lot,and I really need a newer graphics card,but if I do, I lose MTW as a playable game,so I'm holding off as long as possible..

I still have a big love affair with this game, I don't know why, but it feels like you really are 'living it' so to speak. The feel of a game is so much more important than the look of it IMHO. (not that MTW is all that shabby anyway!)

Maybe i'm getting old and rambling, but i've never had more of a challenge when the masses of the horde arrive on my doorstep, or the pope excommunicates me and my erstwhile allies start crusading against me. On top of that you battle on with an heir that would make your guardsmen blush; drinker, unhinged loon, secret perversion, hoping that that if you weather the storm brighter times are ahead. (Usually a civil war ;)

For a game to still be so discussed five years on, I believe, is testament to that. Now, where to invade next...

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironsword
    Now, where to invade next...
    Sicily, of course. Did you even have to ask?
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

The correct question is:
    How do I invade Ireland?

Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345