Thread: Quick update (Updated July 28th!)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Quick update (Updated July 28th!)

Because I haven't been working on a single faction, I thought I'd post a quick preview of some of the new textures I've been doing, as well as a very intriguing discovery.

First of all, I'm redoing the barbarian units. Though the Cimmerians will just have a few tweaks, mostly new faces and a few extra baubles, the AEsir/Vanir didn't really come across as the "Vikings from Hell" I was looking for. I've also refined a few of the other units I thought were lacking, and given some factions some new units too.

Reskinned units:

Oxmen
    The Nordic axemen look a bit more muscular and heroic with bare chests: not entirely comfortable in winter, but these are tough men, a little chill won't kill them.

Rhyfelwyr Spearmen (Brythunia)
    I made the armour more "celtic" looking, especially the helms, and gave them more muted plaid.

Campwyru Champions (Brythunia)
    I decided to make the Campwyru a bit more interesting, so I gave them greatswords instead of the sword/shield combo, just so Brythunia can get a cool two-hander unit.

New Units:

Geirmen
    Basic Nordheim spear unit, with padded armour and kite shield.

Ðigriøxmen
    Nordic axemen, cheaper and more numerous than Huscarls and Jarls, but not quite as heavily armoured.

Border Reivers
    The finest light cavalry of the Hyborian Age, can be armoured up to heavy mail and armed with a small crossbow.

Mounted Peltasts (Corinthia)
    Mounted peltasts of the Corinthian hills, hardy and effective ambushers.

Cataphracts(Corinthia)
    A fusion of ancient Hyborian knights with Shemite and Hyrkanian armour conventions, the cataphracts are some of

Companions(Corinthia)
    The retinue of a Corinthian lord, Companions are powerful medium-heavy cavalry.

And, drumroll please...

On your right is an Assault Tower, used by the Hyborians to scale walls, just like in Medieval. On the left is the Corinthian Helepolis, the Taker of Cities. It can be used in sieges like other siege towers, but it is far stronger, and has a formidable battery of ballistae, catapults and other nasty weapons.

While most siege towers are built on site at a siege, the Helepolis is a weapon which can be commissioned by the King to be built at a city, and can be used in many sieges. In addition to this, they are manned by Myrmidons: elite assault infantry trained and experienced in multiple sieges, making them ideal for taking the walls of a foe. The biggest advantage to building the Helepolis over building sieges at the city is that you can strike immediately without using a turn, giving the enemy little time to retaliate. Of course, the Helepolis could prove to be a white elephant if foiled by savvy defenders, and the initial building cost of the monster is pretty daunting unless you want your general to gain a few siege traits.

At the moment the Helepolis just looks like a big siege tower, and acts like one (though it catches fire a bit too quickly for my liking), but I hope to have it rain pointy death on it's enemies so that it can be used in field battles as well. As it is, it just works like a regular siege tower, except it comes with it's own unit and provides a morale bonus to friendly units, and scares enemy men with it's awesome presence.

I'll update the respective faction threads too.
    Last edited by Taranaich; 07-28-2008 at 17:50.

"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world, like blue mantles beneath the stars...
    Is fhearr fheuchainn na bhith san duil.

Default Re: Quick update

Looks good, and I very much like the idea of the Helepolis. More flavor to the game.

Demetrius Poliocretes would be pleased!!!

Sharp units!!!

Chris

They're all great Taranaich, good job!
    ξυνòς 'Evυáλιoς κaí τε κτανéoντα κατéκτα
    Alike to all is the War God, and him who would kill he kills. (Il. 18.309)

Thanks lads!

Quote Originally Posted by christof139
    Demetrius Poliocretes would be pleased!!!
    Exactly who I had in mind for one of Corinthia's generals, in character at least.

"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world, like blue mantles beneath the stars...

Antigonius or Antiginous One-Eye is another one. Chris

Hmm, maybe I could model all of Corinthia's generals after the Diadochi. Could lead to some interesting conflicts when the starting faction leader dies: maybe one or two could go rebel and try to wrest control of Corinthia from your new leader. It would be more fun if you could chose your faction heir, but eh, what can you do.

I think basing the starting Corinthian general on Alexander would be too obvious though. Maybe he could be the heir, and the starting leader based on Philip? Or just a whole bunch of different traits from other Greek generals and kings.