Thread: Merging 2 Ms3d into milkshape question

Default Merging 2 Ms3d into milkshape question

Hello
    I am trying to insert a new Scalp onto the body of an Indian in order to make Apaches that look more realistic
    so I took the scalp from one unit

Took an Indian , and remove his Iroquoi hair dressing

merge the 2 with Mesh_2_Ms3d_beta_1_8.exe

and in the game they appear arms in cross floating in the air and completely stiff

What should I do ?; where is the mistake ?
    Last edited by kungfuserge; 10-10-2007 at 18:03.

Default Re: Merging 2 Ms3d into milkshape question

First thing to check is that you have the correct materials applied to match with the ModelDB entry.

Next thing to check is that you have the correct 'comment' information for the parts.

Finally, check that the parts are allcorrectly rigged.
    Careless Orc Costs Lives!

Default Re : Re: Merging 2 Ms3d into milkshape question

Quote Originally Posted by Bwian
    First thing to check is that you have the correct materials applied to match with the ModelDB entry.

Next thing to check is that you have the correct 'comment' information for the parts.

Finally, check that the parts are allcorrectly rigged.
    thanks answering

Sorry I don't understand "Correct materials"; I took the coiffure of one Highlander (mesh file) and than tried to apply it on top of the indian
    to do this I took the Highlander and cleaned everything exept the Scalp

also what do you mean by Correct "comment information" ; where do I found this information ?

In MS3D, in the 'groups' bit, you can select each element of the model. Each one has to have a definition whch is stored in the box tha oens up when you press the 'comment' button

Go into 'groups'

click on the 'comment' button.

Do this for all the parts on the body, and you should see what the pattern is. This defines each part for the model when it is swapping parts over. For a 'body' named ' Body_01 you should see

Body
    Body_01

IF there was another body part that the game could choose when displaying your warrior, you could call it 'Body_02' and give it a comment oc

Body
    Body_02

The first part tells it it is a 'torso' and the game knows this is a part of your figure. It then knows it can randomly choose Body_01 or Body_02 for the part named 'body'. If the part does not have this, the game cannot tell what it is or when to display it. This can have odd results.

Most likely, though, the parts you have merged are using completely different materials. If the 'scalp' was mapped to TextureA, and the rest mapped to TextureB, the model may be getting confused as to what material is whiat. Make sure you are using the same texture for the part you are merging as you have on the main model. There is a texture definition , also, in modeldb. Make sure you have the correct texture in there AND fo rthe .normal texture. IF this is not right, you get some VERY odd results....including the one you described. You would never guess a texture could do that...but it can!

Default Re : Merging 2 Ms3d into milkshape question

Alwright I made a few progress, but still having troubles :

Now indiens are moving, but the hairs have the same color as the skin, and I have painted them in black with a white and red bandana
    Do you have any idea on how to give the hair skeleton the right texture ?

I still don't understand how to associate the right head as it seems to have 6 heads + one item at the bottom of the group tab called head_lo(1)<Mat:Figure>
    I wrote a comment for it as it didn't had any :
    head
    head_lo(1)
    I understand The hairs have to be associated with the heads, but as there are 6 heads , I think to Regroup them ? :hmmm:

About the joints TAB ...I am confuse with the sequence 1) clicking on Bone_head 2) Click Assign ....is that correct ?

After a whole day searching, the problem remains : Does anyone know a reason why the texture of the coiffure remains with the color of the skin ( see above the changes I have made to the texture and mesh file ...

You have to be careful which material you assign where when you merge 2 MS3D files.

Make sure you have this right. If, for example, you have texture X assigned as 'figure' in one model, and texture Y assigned as figure in the other, you will get the problem you described.

Make sure in BOTH bits you are going to merge that the textures for 'figure' and 'attachment' are the same before you merge. The resultant model will then be using the correct materials for both.

SUCCESS ! I did it ! (after 4 days braking my brain)

Now I have 6 different faces wearing Black long hairs with Bandana Red & White

Now that I understand the process ; I can mod the Apachean tribe to make them real Chiricahuas
    Last edited by kungfuserge; 10-13-2007 at 10:43.

It's always good when it finally works!

Tonight I will make the 2 units Apachean Horse riders; I hope there won't be unexpected surprise

I made those Apachean riders, but the unexpected surprise is that I never was able to melt Red & White Banda among the 6 heads...some kind of bug perhaps ...tell me ?

Here you can see only Red bandana with only one single face
    instead of mixing Red and white among the 6 faces ....still breacking my brain on this

Last edited by kungfuserge; 10-15-2007 at 00:19.

What have you put in the 'comments' box for eacg group in MS3D, and does it match with the name you have given the seperate coloured bandannas? If you get this wrong, you will find the parts don;t swap.

Good morning
    I had a hard time with the horse gunners as I have tried almost every Group configuration .... 6 groups ( each containing 1 head + 1 long hair) or one single Group ( 6 heads + 6 long hairs) or one Group ( 6 heads + 1 long hairs)

I'm a little confuse
    1) When merging long Hairs , if I merge 6 times x long hairs it gives me 2 for each ( 12) so I merge 3 times to get 6

2) long hairs some time appears with comment , (some time not) if not I add it myshelf:

head
    head_long_hairs_01 (merging gives 01 or 02)

Do you recomand 6 groups
    exemple:

head
    head01
    head
    head_long_hairs_01

changing the _01 according to the n° head ie: head06 ---> head_long_hairs_06
    ???
    I didn't had these problems with the light archers ; and when I got back to open that mesh , I had previously done (I'm very sure I had put a comment along the long hairs....I don't why , but the folder was gone ...now the file is moded in the way that the head had integrated the long hairs ...

ANYWAY here are my latest units:

Gunners with only one face + 1 White bandanna
    & Mounted Apache with bows with 6 heads and Red and white bandanna (here I have made 6 groups and it worked well)

There should only be one bit, ideally, in a group.

If you have 6 variations on the head, I would call them 'head_01', 'head_02' and so on. Each one would then have it's own comment:

Head
    Head_01

then

Head
    Head_02

And so on. There is no need to make it more complex than that. I am scratch building them rather than trying to make things with merging MS3D objects, so I design them the way I want the groups to be. If you have 3 different faces and 2 bandanna variantions, I would have head_01, 02 and 03 with one... then head_04,5 and 6 with the other bandanna. Don;t try to make the things too complex.... just put together complete vatriations of the head for each permutation you want.

Here is my latest Medecin men:

Next thing I have in mind : Creating a Blue Coat

My Indian Chief

I think I can release the tribe this week

But I'm having trouble understanding the Joint TAB -(set assigned - Assign) ; exemple the Tomawak: Bone_weapon_weapon01 goes with Tomawak or is it Bone_Rhand that goes with Tomawak ....
    sometime I have the tomawak in his hand and sometime it doesn't show
    What are the rule for joints please ?
    Last edited by kungfuserge; 10-26-2007 at 10:25.

Hi
    here is my Mod
    Mod Apache
    http://www.mediafire.com/?fdvmu0llxdc

All Apachean units have long Black hairs with Red & White Bandannas
    2 chiefs modded with Conqistadore Jacket taken from a fallen ennemi + the face of Geronimo (GoKhlaYeh)
    Apachean Units can be boosted (especially the Bows men with my modded EDU included)

Last edited by kungfuserge; 10-26-2007 at 10:30.