Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 1.0 Succession Game Discussion Thread

Lover of Toight Vahjoinas Member Bootsiuv's Avatar

Default 1.0 Succession Game Discussion Thread

OFFICIAL SSbQ SUCCESSION GAME INFORMATION

This game has been moved to a private forum which can be found HERE.

Those who aren't playing along, your welcome to join us there to read along, although most forums will be restricted to those in game only.

To all PLAYERS, Please sign in with your Guild Name i.e. your username which we all know you by here at the EB forum. This will enable me to better track who is still playing along and active. While I encourage you to include your ingame name as well (for example, my username is Mago (Bootsiuv)), it isn't required.

We will be playing as Safot Softim biQarthadast on the RTW v1.5 EB v1.0 platform.

We will be using a custom mini-mod made by Spoofa which can be found HERE

A back-up for MP players compiled by madmatg can be found HERE
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Rules

1. The active gamemaster reserves the right to settle both in-game and out-of-game disagreements if they begin to affect the progression of the game. I also reserve the right to take away avatars for inactivity. If you're going to be inactive for a great length of time, please tell me in this thread. If you have a regular schedule which doesn't change, and you provide it to me, you will not be required to post every time you leave.

Being active will bring many rewards, so I encourage logging on once a day to check on the progression of the game, and make sure there is nothing which requires your attention.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. New members are welcome at all times. These new members must introduce themselves in this thread, so they can be assigned an avatar. DO NOT POST IN ANY OTHER SSbQ SUCCESSION GAME RELATED THREAD!!

3. Only people who have been assigned avatars, whether they be in-game characters or 'senators' are allowed to post in other game related threads. ALL QUESTIONS FROM THOSE NOT PLAYING THE GAME SHOULD BE POSTED IN THIS THREAD.

Please note: Non-game related posts in any thread but this one will be ignored, and requested to be erased by an available mod. In other words, if you would like to join the game or have any other questions or concerns, post those in this thread, and this thread only, if you desire a response.

4. The current player is known as the Shophet, and is voted in via election. If no members decide to run, the gamemaster will take the term.

Please Note: You DO NOT need an in-game character to be Shophet. Therefore, Senators are allowed to run for office. I encourage anyone who would like to run for office to do so, but I will limit the number of incumbents to 3 for now, on a first come-first serve basis. If, and when, we recieve more players, this number may be increased.

4a. Terms are 8 turns i.e. 2 years per.

5 Emergency Council meetings must be called by the Shophet for the following situations:

- Declaration of War on Safot Softim biQarthadast by another faction.
    - Shopet wishes to declare war due to developing in game factors, but this war was not voted on at the previous council meeting.
    - Certain building projects
    - Space reserved; Idea pending

6. THE SHOPHET MUST SAVE THE GAME EVERY TURN. I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. An unfortunate caveat of EB succession games, and required for reasons too complicated to go into in any great detail right here, but it involves a nasty CtD that players of the KH Succession Game discovered firsthand.

End Rules

Bootsiuv
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

The original post, for the sake of completeness.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsiuv
    1.0 is here!!!

It's time to start discussing our future succession game. It may take a few days to get up and running, and I assume there will be no mini-mods available when we begin.

So we'll likely be playing 'vanilla' EB 1.0 (even though there's nothing vanilla about EB, you get the point).

This is a thread where all players in the community who are interested can chime in, and hopefully we can gleam some good ideas.

Please note: There will be rules and timetables in this game. There will be in-character threads that should stay in-character, etc. etc.

These are just some ideas I have concerning the next game we decide to play.

I'm thinking Safot Softim biQarthadast is the best choice, but what do YOU think?

I'd like to know.

Here's to good times conquering the world together.

Bootsiuv
    *Even I am not above the rules in this game. I will add various checks to gamemaster power. This is mostly as a back-up in case this game lasts a long time, and for some unforeseen reason, I am no longer able to carry on and must pass my duties as gamemaster to someone else. I don't foresee this happening, but, at least it will ensure the game goes on with or without me.
    Last edited by Bootsiuv; 11-06-2007 at 21:46. Reason: Update: Game Information
    SSbQ*****************SSbQ******************SSbQ

Megas Alexandros's heir Member Spoofa's Avatar

Default Re: 1.0 Succession Game Discussion Thread

Lusotannia, lets go to ireland and conquer the british isles together!! yaaaaay!

seriously though I think carthage would be cool.

eH? what is this succession game? Though if you asked me the faction we should be playing should be the Arverni :D

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Pincushioned Ashigaru Member Poulp''s Avatar

Pontus !

well, anything as long as it's not the AS; I don't like managing an whole empire right from the start, especially when I didn't conquer it myself.

I volunteer

Good, I'm glad to see some new faces.

At Pezhetaroi, look at the Council of the Koinon Hellenon if you really don't know what a succession game is.

Averni? gah, no. Aedui plz.

Well, we'll have to come to an agreement although I encourage intelligent discussion.

I think we should go with Safot Softim biQarthadast because it controls such different areas of the map....different people will want troops sent to different theaters i.e. A sicilian governor will want troops sent to Sicily, while an Iberian governor will want those same troops for southern Iberia. It would be pretty cool to debate and vote on which areas are reinforced, and where are most important infrastructure is placed.

Sounds very interesting, if we all stick to the plan i.e. stay in character in the 'in-character' thread.

We also might consider putting our ingame names under our avatar.
    Last edited by Bootsiuv; 10-12-2007 at 03:34.

Handler of candles Member Xehh II's Avatar

I was wondering if I could join this one since I didn't join the last one, I don't care what faction, as long as it's not Barbarian.
    BTW, I won't get 1.0 for 3 days so could you please wait for me?
    A ha ha! Rainbows and unicorns! Rainbows and unicorns!

We won't be starting for at least 4-5 days....discussions will take place 48 hours before we even begin the first turns, and I don't plan on putting up the council thread for 3 days.

So you're good, bro.

Gisgo Governer of Ippone Member madmatg's Avatar

im also up for anyone

Phil 2:9-11 Phil 4:4

I'm in the same boat as Xehh II.I won't be avaible for 3-4 days.Anyways,I'm fne with Carthage,though prepare for me to mess up as I have yet to play as them in EB.Now,what will we do for rules and such concerning ruling cities?Does the faction leader control the building,or would the governor choose the buildings (I assume armies are still under the faction leader control).

Also,are we going to use those civil-war ideas I sent you a while back, or are not going to do that.I'm assuming we will discuss this all and more though.

Quote Originally Posted by EasternScourge
    Now,what will we do for rules and such concerning ruling cities?
    I was thinking, that since we'll probably have almost enough characters for everyone at the start, governors will choose buildings in their provinces.

This sounds complicated, but the council could determine which provinces deserve what % of the treasury, and then the governors could decide what should be built in their provinces.

Armies recruited in lands with Type I and II gov's will be under the Shophets control. Armies recruited in lands with Type III and IV gov's will be controlled by the governor i.e. he tells the player by pm where he wants the army in his land to go.

Governors can declare war on armies encroaching on their territory without permission from the council, but armies invading foreign lands are controlled by the council, and the leading general will be chosen by the Shophet.

I plan on taking ideas I like from everyone and drawing up a constitution, so everyone knows what they can and cannot do.

As for the civil war, it might be a little ahistorical for Carthage, as they never really experienced a civil war as such, only revolting mercenaries.

All ideas are possible though. I'd like to hear some of your guys' ideas....

So, is Carthage set? I don't think I would do well as Carthage.

It isn't set per se, but we will have to come to a conclusion in the next 72 hours, and I think most people have said that Carthage is acceptable.

Why would you not do well? I think you should give it a whirl. Carthage is pretty good. We would just have to try and avoid an eary war with Romani....maybe I'll make you a governor of an island so you won't be messed with.

Here's a question for you guys....what do you think about playing on the BI.exe? It's no big deal if the majority don't want to, but it makes for a more interesting game with the increased naval invasions.

Hmm, BI.exe. has screwed up my game muchly (see the roman_forts thread in the bug reports). RomeTW gives me the most stable gameplay, and I would go for RTW.exe. For the record, I'm perfectly okay with the Qarthadastim. If it comes down to assigning of governorships, do give me Trinakrie ;-) I'll be wanting a shot at them Romani with the Syrakousiai Hoplitai and assorted other units.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

no way man! Hamilicar is mine for the taking!

Pincushioned Ashigaru Member Poulp''s Avatar

Carthage's fine with me.
    As is playing any character.

I have a few questions too.

Does someone know how Carthage's government worked ? Historically speaking.
    From what I recall, it was a republic with the same kind of governement than Rome (a house of elected rich citizenry I mean)
    Knowing a bit more should help me to get in the mood.

What will be the unit size ? Can game options be changed from one computer to another ? (screen size, graphic details, etc...)

Who should play the inter turn battles ? If I remember correctly, there had been problems with this in the Council of KH.

I propose a house rule: when the faction leader reach age 50 and/or he settles to go to war in person, we should hold an election to choose the heir among the best candidate at that time (sure, a lot of in game characters will be pissed, but, hey that's politics)

Another proposition, if a in-forum character turns out to be a compassionate governor, concerned with the welfare of his subjects, he might get some traits representing this in-game.
    Or, you can turn it the other way around, an in-game warmonger should be role played accordingly on the forum.

that's all for now

I have yet to dl the 1.0 version, I'm still busy with cleaning my CPU and making space on my HD

I might cancel myself out if I see my CPU is lagging me to death
    Last edited by Poulp'; 10-12-2007 at 16:27.

Downloading EB 1.0 right now and I hope it will run kinda smooth on my laptop... it's a lame duck which is even slower than my 5 year old PC (1.7 GHZ Dual core, so 90% of the time it only uses 1.7, whereas my old pc has 2.1... that really sucks.) If it runs at a manageable level, I'll declare myself to you.
    Last edited by Basileus Seleukeia; 10-12-2007 at 15:36.

Speak up for those who were silenced forever.
    Visit https://www.HellenicGenocide.org

Quote Originally Posted by Xehh II
    I was wondering if I could join this one since I didn't join the last one, I don't care what faction, as long as it's not Barbarian.
    BTW, I won't get 1.0 for 3 days so could you please wait for me?
    Quisque est barbarus alio.
    Veni
    Vidi
    Velcro

I would like to join as well, I have no preference, how do you plan to deal with commanders for the fleet, would that character board the fleet and stay with it at all times, or would you assign fleets to the army generals, I would love to command the fleet, or some squandrons.

I will have 1.0 by tomorrow morning.

Here's a question for you guys....what do you think about playing on the BI.exe? It's no big deal if the majority don't want to, but it makes for a more interesting game with the increased naval invasions.
    I don't have BI.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura
    Quisque est barbarus alio.
    What does that mean?

I is da bestest at grammar Member Strategos Alexandros's Avatar

"Everyone is a barbarian to someone"
    - my first balloon, from Mouzafphaerre
    - LS balloon

Modo Egredior
    https://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bi...ookup=Plb.+toc <- read this!
    "Do you know what's worth fighting for?
    When it's not worth dying for?"

Hamilcar is MINE! Heyy. We could have a civil war all by ourselves over this. ;-)

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

I is da bestest at grammar Member Strategos Alexandros's Avatar

Could I join when you get started? I'm just about to install 1.0. If we are still choosing a faction I vote Carthage.
    - my first balloon, from Mouzafphaerre
    - LS balloon

Modo Egredior
    https://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bi...ookup=Plb.+toc <- read this!
    "Do you know what's worth fighting for?
    When it's not worth dying for?"

More new faces....this is good. I think we'll just stick with R:TW v1.5, it was just a thought, but if all players don't have access to BI, then I'll cut that idea out right now. We don't disclude here.

Quote Originally Posted by Poulp'
    Does someone know how Carthage's government worked ? Historically speaking.
    From what I recall, it was a republic with the same kind of governement than Rome (a house of elected rich citizenry I mean)
    Knowing a bit more should help me to get in the mood.
    Qarthadastim was a Thessalocracy, meaning it was essentially a trading empire ruled by aristocrats and wealthy merchants.

The council of Qarthadastim was known as 'the Hundred' if I'm not mistaken. The ruler of Qarthadastim, the Shophet, was an administrative ruler. Note that the Shophet did not lead troops in battle, as this was not his position. The Hundred would vote and determine a general from the cities aristocracy who was worthy.

We will be following this policy in-game. The Shophet can only lead troops in times of dire straits i.e. Kart-Hadast and the minor cities surrounding it are invaded, and there are no available generals in North Africa.

What will be the unit size ? Can game options be changed from one computer to another ? (screen size, graphic details, etc...)
    I'm thinking we should stick with large, as this opens up the game to more people. As far as I know, video settings (aside from unit settings) do not have to be the same from computer to computer.

Who should play the inter turn battles ? If I remember correctly, there had been problems with this in the Council of KH.
    The problem was that taking a city during an AI turn without the script activated would cause a CTD. For example, when the enemy sallies out on the last turn of a siege. If the game wasn't saved the turn before, it would CTD.

This is likely a problem which will be unique to EB succession games, as no other mods run on a script that I know of.

The solution is to save the game every turn before you hit 'end turn', so the player can have that save, turn on the script, hit end turn, and then play the battle. It's sort of ugly (the player could move things around and change stuff, but I fail to see why someone would purposefully sabotage a game they themselves were trying to win).

I propose a house rule: when the faction leader reach age 50 and/or he settles to go to war in person, we should hold an election to choose the heir among the best candidate at that time (sure, a lot of in game characters will be pissed, but, hey that's politics).
    We generally ignore the Faction Leader and Faction Heir traits.

This could be solved by allowing the Shophet to rule for the rest of his life. There are a few problems.

1. Some players would have very long terms, some would have very short terms.

2. If the person who is currently Shopet isn't very active, it might take a LONG time for him to actually finish his term, and the game will suffer.

I do know a certain level of activity (signing in at least every 48 hours) will be required for everyone to enjoy this experience.

Another proposition, if a in-forum character turns out to be a compassionate governor, concerned with the welfare of his subjects, he might get some traits representing this in-game.
    Or, you can turn it the other way around, an in-game warmonger should be role played accordingly on the forum.
    This is a good idea, and I agree wholeheartedly.
    Last edited by Bootsiuv; 10-12-2007 at 19:05.

First of all, 1.0 looks pretty nice at a first glance.
    Secondly, I would really like to join. Wanted to start one of these things myself after reading about the concept in the gazhette, didn't have the time tough. And carthage seems nice, even tough I never played them before. AS or Ptolemaics would also be cool, yet it seems that the decision to choose carthage is all but taken.

Your welcome to join, and don't worry. Those of us who are familiar with Carthage will help you along.

While it isn't the most forgiving faction, I think having territories in so many different parts of the map will make for some interesting in-fighting among governors.

An Imperfect Follower of Light Member Wolfman's Avatar

Could the howling wolf possibly join?
    Last edited by Wolfman; 10-12-2007 at 21:58.
    Tales of Gods and Kings - An Arverni AAR-DEAD
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...82#post1930882
    A People of the Mist - Casse AAR-ALIVE!!!!
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...Mist-Casse-AAR

Most indubidubly!

armies invading foreign lands are controlled by the council, and the leading general will be chosen by the Shophet.
    Heh, I was just reading that and it should be 'armies invading foreign lands are controlled by the Shophet, and the leading general will be chosen by the Council.

Sorry for any confusion. I plan on drawing up a constitution of sorts, and if any people have any ideas to put forward, please do so soon.

huh? so if i led an army to rome would I play the battles?

btw pezhetairoi, I will crush you if you attempt to take my spot at Hamilicar.

I have the favor of the God's, you cannot defeat me!
    Last edited by Spoofa; 10-12-2007 at 22:15.

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast