Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Skin of Roman Units

Unhappy New Skin of Roman Units

First: the Skins of the Imperial Legionary Cohort and the Reenlisted Post Marian Cohort look good... but they just do fit together with the other Roman Units, they are much too big.

So my question: Can anybody give me the old Skins from the 08x (because i deleted my old Version of EB... to small Hard Drive). Or are there new modells too?

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Default Re: New Skin of Roman Units

Too big?

They are new models, that's why they're different. They've been completely re-made.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Yeah... and can somebody give me the old ones from 0.8x?

Because i can`t install 0.8 again because it`s said that i have already a version (1.0) installed... and i don`t want to deinstall 1.0, install 0.8, copy the old models, deinstall 0.8 and install 1.0 again

Use 7-zip on the installer.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Wait just a second!

Is it possible to use old models in 1.0?

It is. But it requires quite a lot of reversing things EB did... And frankly, I don't think there's much point in doing it anyway.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

EB II Romani Consul Suffectus Member Zaknafien's Avatar
    Somewhere inside the Military-Industrial Complex

yeah, why would anyone want lower quality, inaccurate units..?

"urbani, seruate uxores: moechum caluom adducimus. / aurum in Gallia effutuisti, hic sumpsisti mutuum." --Suetonius, Life of Caesar

EB Keyframe Artist Member Kampfkrebs's Avatar

What about saying "Many many thanks Xprime for sacrificing your spare time and delivering us such a beatiful and detailed model!"

Instead of: "Can I have the _OLD_(!!!) stuff, please?"

Its more than rude, and it hurts. Alot.

Member for Videoediting

Celtic Cataphracts!!!! Member The Celt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kampfkrebs
    What about saying "Many many thanks Xprime for sacrificing your spare time and delivering us such a beatiful and detailed model!"

Hey hey hey wait a second! He said that the new Romans looked good! He just thought they were too out of place and preferred the old ones. There is no need for you guys to get all aggressive.

You shouldn't be bashing someone after they've politely stated their opinion that does not agree with yours. Need I remind you, this is the kind of mentality that EB was made to stand against. I like Xprimes Romans as well and I'm sure everybody is thankful for the hard work he put into them. But I also liked the old Romans despite their inaccuracies since they fit with the other factions' units and overall feel better IMHO. That is not saying EB should get the old Roman units out and replace Xprimes. No one was saying that at all!(at least not in this particular thread)

Granted, there are a lot of threads on this.
    Last edited by The Celt; 10-14-2007 at 16:24.
    Achtungaz!!! You vill all zavmit to zeh Svveboz!!!!

Currently rising to power as:

Maybe they should have taken the trousers out of the old Romans and made a complete reskin of Romani units before making it official. Otherwise people complain.
    Last edited by A Terribly Harmful Name; 10-14-2007 at 16:40.

As The_Celt said: i don`t think that the new skins/modells are ugly, they are quite good!
    But i am not happy with the fact that they are a little bit bigger than the other Roman units... and because of that i asked how to get the old ones...

The new units do look good. They are more detailed than the previous ones and they are attractive. However, I agree that they do not match with the rest of the Romani units. The main thing is that they aren't scaled the same, it you look closely; their heads are clearly larger than the other Romani units. We appreciate the work all of your developers have done, and I would hope the creator of these units can handle it if we critique his work, you have to expect it when you create any type of artwork. (I am a professional graphic designer so I know how it is)

In my line of work I get requests for things that look much worse than the "new" version all the time, it's just the way it is. Some people are much more picky than others, or they have different tastes.

In my opinion the coolest looking unit ever made for EB was the 0.81 Cohors Evocata. While it may not have been totally accurate it sure did look cool, and it was of course made in the correct scale. So, I honestly think I would at least temporarily like to have this unit back, so if anyone figures out everything you have to do to get it back please let me know.

When my company redesigns a set of graphics, we redo it all in one shot so everything matches and is in the same style. I realize that in this case it wouldn't be practical to hold up the release to allow for one person to redo the entire Romani unit roster, and you simply wanted to show some of his work. That is fine and like I said, they do look cool, especially the Centurion. I just think they need to be scaled down slightly so they're bodies are the same size as the others. They don't need to be redone, just scaled. There's nothing wrong with the unit other than the scale. Yes, this would make them shorter, but that's fine, the Romani weren't known for their height :)

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Its not rude, its a critique.

They do look good but, as some other have mentioned, they are out of place. Just take it as a friendly critique for 1.X and keep in mind - one artist to another or one game designer to a modder - that its not how good one thing looks, its the over all product. If something look out of place even if it is marvelous or a turd or just out of place - as is in our case, it can be detrimental over all. Consistency is usually the best goal to shoot for.

P.S. - Actually this kinda reminds me of when we convinced Prometheus to redo all the samurai models for Ran no Jidai because they looked too tall and thin.
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; 10-14-2007 at 18:55.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

I haven't downloaded the mod yet, so I can't really speak for either side here. But I do have to say that the new Romani skins look absolutely awesome. However, comparing them to the other Romani units on the website's unit page, you CAN kinda see that they aren't quite in the same proportion as the rest of the models, so I'm also seeing where this whole 'new Roman skins are too big' argument is coming from.

Maybe if someone posted an in-game screenshot of the new skins next to the rest of the Roman units we could see if its really true that they're larger than their comrades or not?

Yes screenshots would be nice. I'm curious. I haven't istalled 1.0 yet because i wait till i have my new computer.
    How do the Praetorians now look like? Here on a germanhistory forum they are talking about that their field equipment was exactly the same as reglular Legionaries. The only difference would be that Praetorians had oval shields instead of rectangular ones.

The Galatian, AtB Member Member Admetos's Avatar

First of all, let me just say that I love the new Roman skins by Xprime, they are honestly some of the best skins I have ever seen. Eventhough, I do think they look out of place. I'm not asking for the old units back, because that would just be silly, but I do agree with Basileos ton Ellenon, maybe the other Marian and Imperial infantry should be re-skinned in the same style.

Support Asia ton Barbaron, the Eastern Mod for EB, on The Guild and TWC.
    Former barman at the EB Tavern.
    My balloons:

i vote "re-skin the old in the same style"

Quote Originally Posted by J.Alco
    Maybe if someone posted an in-game screenshot of the new skins next to the rest of the Roman units we could see if its really true that they're larger than their comrades or not?
    Here we go:

Ah. There we go. Yep, they're outta proportion alright. I can see where you're coming from now.

But just as was said before, it isn't anything truly drastic. All that needs to be done really is for the units to be scaled down slightly, and bingo!

Hope the EB team takes a look at this screenshot.
    Last edited by J.Alco; 10-14-2007 at 22:13.

i dig em....but thats just me and well i dont think romans should wear pants

So again.... how would one go about putting the.... previous versions of these troops into the current game? I understand some people don't think it's necessary, but some do. It would be nice to know how. Anybody?

And sure Romans shouldn't wear pants... but they also shouldn't be giants, especially considering the fact that they were actually a rather small peoples. It would have been easier and better for this release, for the sake of consistency, to have just "removed" the pants by slight retexturing, and releasing the new Romans when the whole faction is completed. Hopefully a mini-mod will come around that replaces these 2 units for the time being.
    Last edited by Dooz; 10-15-2007 at 01:11.

The Galatian, AtB Member Member Admetos's Avatar

Add the old models into the relevant folder, add the old skins into the relevant folder, change the relevant entries in descr_model_battle to match the locations of the skins and models and you're away. Theres a brilliant tutorial hanging around somewhere, should be in the Scriptorium if what I've written is a little bit vague.

Support Asia ton Barbaron, the Eastern Mod for EB, on The Guild and TWC.
    Former barman at the EB Tavern.
    My balloons:

Actually, Xprime's Romans are more anatomically correct than the old ones, its just the rest of EB's units are small as well. We're still looking at it internally, mind you.

"urbani, seruate uxores: moechum caluom adducimus. / aurum in Gallia effutuisti, hic sumpsisti mutuum." --Suetonius, Life of Caesar

Yes, but if you're comparing 2 units to over 300 others, it's the 300 that hold the majority so the 2 ought to be comparable to them.

size issue will be addressed, worry not. Reskinning of the rest of the Augustan roster will be done eventually as well, so they all follow a similar design.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafien
    size issue will be addressed, worry not. Reskinning of the rest of the Augustan roster will be done eventually as well, so they all follow a similar design.
    Awesome to hear. To be honest, I felt that the new unit's heads were disproportionally larger than the rest of the body as well (when compared to the rest of the models in the mod). Glad to see that i'm not the only one who thinks as such.

That being said, thats not saying anything about the quality of detail gone into the unit which is excellent. I regard Xprime's talent as within the top elite of modeling/skinning, along with Lusted, Caius, and several others.
    Last edited by EdwardL; 10-15-2007 at 02:16.

Quote Originally Posted by kemozz
    i vote "re-skin the old in the same style"
    Agreed.

Glad to hear that Zak. Xprime's skins are amazing, but we need to "amazing-ify" the rest or they look odd standing next to each other.
    It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
    Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-Sir Winston Churchill
    ΔΟΣ ΜΟΙ ΠΑ ΣΤΩ ΚΑΙ ΤΑΝ ΓΑΝ ΚΙΝΑΣΩ--Give me a place to stand and I will move the earth.-Archimedes on his work with levers
    Click here for my Phalanx/Aquilifer mod

Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafien
    Actually, Xprime's Romans are more anatomically correct than the old ones, its just the rest of EB's units are small as well. We're still looking at it internally, mind you.

Oh I beg to disagree Zak, the heads are still too big for their bodies. Look at the units heads, especially from the forehead up (that is the widest area of their heads).
    --Look, generally there are 3 heads from the widest point of the shoulder to the opposite shoulder. That’s a "normal measure", but people with developed shoulders or with long bones in their upper body look "bigger" than they really are because their measures go out of that standard. BUT these new legionaries go the opposite way, the circumference of thier heads is big, so you CANNOT fit 3 heads from shoulder tip to shoulder tip. And that is why they almost look like "Bobble Heads". Take out a ruler and measure it, then measure the other units, or if you want measure yourself in a picture, and you will see what I am talking about.

--I believe the problem with the new legionaries occurred because face is more detailed so they are bigger, but they are still ok. BUT the helmet coving the head, that’s what making the head look "bigger".
    Last edited by NeoSpartan; 10-15-2007 at 03:58.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

I wuv the new faces but one thing has bugged me about the face skin... the shadows over the eyes seem a little excessive and arbitrary.

@NeoSpartan - You know, after looking at them side by side, I think the problem stems not from the proportions - though the helmet is a little large - but instead from the posture. The new models are hunched forward a little while the old ones are standing straight. The problem comes from the fact that the new ones were sized to be about the same height which made them huge.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Its not that the head is large, maybe 0.5 larger, but the helmet makes it look so, and will, naturally. EB's other units' helmets are probably slightly too small, actually, and it looks jarring in comparison.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast