Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Legion - The Eagles of Rome

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Default 2nd Legion - The Eagles of Rome

2nd Legion – The Eagles of Rome

Men the World over know of our great Roman Republic. They know the names of the great ones who forged it with cold steel. They know the names of our Generals, or Consuls, our Heroes. They know our great victories and our crushing defeats.

But those who are so often forgotten are the men themselves. The very men on whom victory lies. The very men on whom our Republic has come to rely.

The very men, whose stories are never told.

Until now.

Welcome to 2nd Legion – The Eagles of Rome. Anyone who read my old AAR (which can be found here: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=80061 ) will tell you that it is a first person narrative, written in the form of letters. It concentrates on one man who is followed through his entire 16 years of service.

My house rules can be found here:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=93316

I will try to update this about every week, but I may be unable to at first, because I start my final school exams on Friday. They are all done in a few weeks though, and then I will have much more free time.

Also I would like to note something about naming conventions. Only Patricians will be given the Nomen, which I believe is as it should be. In addition, I will be substituting the "u" in any name for a "v", but when it is spoken I shall revert to the "u".

Index
    Book 1
    Preface - The Oath Taker - 481 AUC
    Chapter 1 - First Blood - 483 AUC
    Chapter 2 - Battle of Taras - 483 AUC
    Last edited by CountArach; 10-21-2007 at 00:24.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Default Re: 2nd Legion - The Eagles of Rome

The Oath Taker
    Book 1 – Preface
    481 Arb Urbe Condita (273BCE)

The Tribune, Avrelivs Cotta, checked off names on the list in front of him. The list contained names of all the men with an adequate property requirement to be enlisted in some part of the army. There were several Senators on the list, and Cotta made sure to add them as horsemen. That would make him a few friends.

Picking a name at random, one of the wealthier Plebians according to the number next to his name – he was in the Triarii, he called it out, “Can Pvblivs Rvfinvs please step forth?”

A man somewhere near the back walked through the crowd, to much applause. He stepped up onto the stage. He was a well-built man and was physically quite imposing. He had dark brown hair and a slight tinge of green to his eyes. That was unusual.

“You Publius Rufinus, have been instructed to take the military oath,” the man bowed his head. This was quite an honour – only the most suitable and physical men were given this task. The Tribune continued, “Do you swear to obey your officers and execute their orders if it is within your power and not to the detriment of the Republic?”

“I, Publius Rufinus,” Pvblivs began, his deep voice resonating around the Campus Martius, “hereby swear that I shall obey all commands from my officers and that I shall execute all orders, barring those that are of detriment to the Republic.”

A cheer went up from the crowd. Pvblivs moved down the steps he had come up to get onto the podium and waited off to a side. The next man was brought up and the group started to form into a line. Each man who walked up those stairs swore that he would “do the same as the first man”.

After everyone was done, the Tribune stood up and addressed the crowd, most of whom were congratulating one another on being called up to fight for their Republic, “Friends, Countrymen, Comrades, this is why we were born. We were born to fight for this Republic, this great nation of ours. There has been some trouble in the north of late, small incursions by Gauls,” some of the rowdier members of the crowd started to boo, and the Tribune put up his hand to indicate that they should stop, “Please friends, let me finish before you boo me,” some of the crowd laughed.

“As I was saying,” the Tribune continued, utterly unfazed, “some Gauls have been spotted in the North and you have been tasked with moving to Arretium to present a large enough threat to deter them.”

The crowd started to disperse. Pvblivs just wanted to find the Centurion of his maniple of Triarii.

They moved out the next day.
    Last edited by CountArach; 10-19-2007 at 07:45.
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

friggin finnaly

CountArach's Roman AARs are BACK!!!

Make another entry. Now.

MARMOREAM•RELINQUO•QUAM•LATERICIAM•ACCEPI

nice aar.
    "I am nothing; We are everything." Kurt 'panzemreyer' Meyer

Quote Originally Posted by CaesarAugustus
    Make another entry. Now.
    Hehe, I finished all my studying this morning so I could have time to play it out.

Thanks guys!

Just your average Senior Member Warmaster Horus's Avatar
    Besancon, France: a stepping stone to greatness. I hope.

Woot! The AAR I've been waiting for since Roma's Bulls!

Keep it up CA!
    The Throne Room: "Less a forum, more a way of life." Econ21
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Join the latest greatest installement of mafia games: Capo di Tutti Capi!
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

EB II Romani Consul Suffectus Member Zaknafien's Avatar
    Somewhere inside the Military-Industrial Complex

Nice work! More info on oaths you can add in if you like.. The roman soldier's oath (Sacramentum) was to obey the commands of their general, which reinforced the Consul's already grave powers of coercion (coercitio), which allowed him to punish citizens summarily on campaign up to and including death. Part of the oath was, "in war and peace to bow to lawful authority" (Livy 8.35).

In addition to the sacramentum, Roman soldiers also swore an oath more informally called a coniuratio, among themselves or their tent-companions, "not to flee the battlefield or abandon my place in the battle line" (Livy, 22.38.2-5;Frontius, Strat, 4.1.4).

Interestingly enough, it was not until after the second punic war started that the state appropriated this second oath and made it part of the original sacramentum.
    Last edited by Zaknafien; 10-16-2007 at 14:38.

"urbani, seruate uxores: moechum caluom adducimus. / aurum in Gallia effutuisti, hic sumpsisti mutuum." --Suetonius, Life of Caesar

Excellent news, seeing this coming back! Good luck on the writing!
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafien
    Nice work! More info on oaths you can add in if you like.. The roman soldier's oath (Sacramentum) was to obey the commands of their general, which reinforced the Consul's already grave powers of coercion (coercitio), which allowed him to punish citizens summarily on campaign up to and including death. Part of the oath was, "in war and peace to bow to lawful authority" (Livy 8.35).

In addition to the sacramentum, Roman soldiers also swore an oath more informally called a coniuratio, among themselves or their tent-companions, "not to flee the battlefield or abandon my place in the battle line" (Livy, 22.38.2-5;Frontius, Strat, 4.1.4).

Interestingly enough, it was not until after the second punic war started that the state appropriated this second oath and made it part of the original sacramentum.
    Interesting information, thanks Zak. I just went off what I could find in a quick glance at Polybius. As to the next chapter, I should either have it written today or tomorrow.

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

Great! I hoped you'd do another AAR.

If you would kindly continue now...

Asia ton Barbaron mapper Member Pharnakes's Avatar

Smile Re: 2nd Legion - The Eagles of Rome

Eek, sorry about this but I couldn't help myself:

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach
    “I, Publius Rufinus,” Pvblivs began, his deep voice resonating around the Campus Martius, “hereby swear that I shall obey all commands from my officers and that I shall execute all orders, barring those that are not of detriment to the Republic.”

Umm, am I the only person to notice that Publius Rufinus is swearing to
    "barring those that are not of detriment to the Republic,"
    in other words, he will fufill orders, but only if they are bad for the republic?

those that are not of detriment to the Republic - those that are good for the rebublic,

Give us "that I shall execute all orders, barring those that are good for the republic."

Sorry, I am such a pedant.

But I realy do like your writting CA, you should take this as a complement, if I didn't like your AAR then I wouldn't care if it was correct or not.
    Asia ton Barbaron The new eastern mod for eb!

Laziest member of the team My red balloons, as red as the blood of he who mentioned Galatians.
    Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?

Damn it! You just ruined a plot twist! Just kidding. I will just remove the "not", which should fix it.

Awsome i love these stories

First Blood
    Book 1 – Chapter 1
    483 Arb Urbe Condita (271BCE)

Dearest Father Caivs Rvfinvs,

Much has happened these last two years. Though we have been in constant correspondence, I feel the need to refresh your memory.

After we were taken to the North and were pretty immediately billeted upon the people of Etruria. The Gallic threat that was supposed to be there never precipitated, however we were still able to complete the final necessities of our training.

Our army at this point did not include any of those villainous foreigners, and a disproportionately small amount of the petty lower classes. Though Father, I must say this is a good thing. I believe it is because these people believe that the families of the wealthy are indeed far superior to all those below us. It is a positive way to go back to the way of fighting of old where the army was exclusively from the propertied classes.

You will not believe it father, but when we were up North, one of the poorer Plebians actually approached me and asked if I were going to finish the meal I was eating. I was not, but I was never going to give this man what I had rightfully earned. I rebuked him and he walked off rightfully dejected.

Anyway father, soon in this previous year 482 AUC, we were met by our general-to-be. His name is Cnaevs Cornelivs Blasio.

A man from an honourable and old family, the Gens Cornelia he is rightfully respectful of the wealth of us Triarii, but he associates a little too much with the Hastati for my liking. He seems to claim that the basic man is the one who will win any battles and father; I must say that I completely disagree with him. There is only so much these poor folks can do.

The Roman Republic is why we are fighting, father. I would gladly give my life for it, though obviously I would rather live and see it grow and prosper, telling my Grandchildren of my exploits on the field, and all the men I killed in the name of Liberty.

Our army was ordered to break camp and leave to march against the Epirotes in the south. We had been fighting the war down there for 8 whole years at this point and our leaders, we hear, were tiring of it. That is why they sent for us, the Second Legion.

We learnt that a small force from the Epirotes had come north at the start of the previous year and were probing our defences in Samnium. I of course did not care about the locals, they are nothing compared to good Roman Citizens, they were still deemed important by High Command.

So we advanced and caught them as they were besieging the town. We scared them off and they marched in the direction of the docks of Capua.

We attacked immediately.

We were deployed in the rear of the line, as is the standard approach of our armed forces. Nothing of any real note occurred here, so of the poorest people flung stones in a futile attempt to do anything to the heavily-armed phalanx. Eventually, the Phalangites grew tired of this and advanced, eventually charging the Principes, who held them long enough for the Hastati to lap around and take the Phalanx from the rear.

We encamped for the rest of the season, it now being summer. As the summer passed into Autumn, rumours of a minor uprising amongst the Samnites came to our ears. The word was that the few remaining agents of Pyrros had convinced enough rural towns to rise up against us. Though they posed no credible threat, they were still somewhat irritating.

So we marched off to our south at the very beginning of Autumn and approached the foothills they were protecting. We formed into battle order and were disappointed to see that this so-called threat was no more than a few farmers with aging weapons and rusted armour.

Nothing worth noting happened here. The very poorest men threw whatever javelins they could muster.

The Hastati followed up with a charge and the Principes moved and took them from the flank. We Triarii were left in reserve, ensuring that the Samnites did not desert and join the other army. Fortunately, their services were not needed, though they did not throw their Pila when they were instructed to. You know father, I have always had a healthy distrust of those men. They are filthy foreigners and not worthy of my trust. They have yet to gain it.

After picking off these farmers, a gap was open which was far too good to not exploit. Cornelivs Blasio led us through a small gap in the mountains. There was still enough of autumn left for us to make it to Taras and to lay siege. The small force that the Epirotes had sent to examine our borders was instantly withdrawn and put itself into the city.

We reached the city at the very start of winter, and quickly set about sending out foraging parties and building several rams so that we could begin the assaults at the very beginning of Spring. In addition, Cornelivs Blasio had organised with a number of pirates for them to raid the ports that Taras relied on for supplies.

There was no need to wait.

They came to us.

Your faithful son,
    Pvblivs Rvfinvs

Great update! I think you've got the Patrician's scorn for "lesser" men just so.
    Keep it up!
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

hmm,

with that legion, not even with 10 units are gonna take on that big phalanx?

this is gonna be tough.

I hate the huge phalanxes, thats why I play on "Large" unit setting.

Battle of Taras
    Book 1 – Chapter 2
    483 Arb Urbe Condita (271BCE)

Dearest Father Caivs Rvfinvs,

So father, the scene was set. Our army was facing off against an enemy who outnumbered us and had two very large phalanxes that were always going to be hard for us to fight.

The began the battle by sallying out. Our men were jus returning from foraging and as such we were somewhat disorganised. We were taken by surprise. The four Tribunes were running around trying to create a semblance of order, but were not having much success. Until Cornelivs Blasio came out.

He started yelling orders left and right, brandishing his sword in the air. He had become like one of the men. All of the soldiers immediately stopped and looked at him. He was sitting there on his great white charger, shouting louder than anyone on the field.

Then people began to listen to what he said. They ran off and found their standards, and quickly formed into line. The second and third lines were still forming when the enemy hit our lines.

The Hastati and the Samnites of the first rank started to through their Pila at the oncoming Hoplitai. These men appeared to be nothing more than a hasty militia who had got too eagre and had broken ranks. They were broken and ran.

Finally our line formed and the skirmishers were thrown forward. They had only thrown a handful of javelins each when suddenly the Epirote cavalry, in a shower of their own javelins, charged into the Skirmishers.

They were forced to retire after taking several casualties and then the cavalry charged into the Samnites who were holding our left flank. Meanwhile, the enemy light skirmishers, the so-called Akontistai, had charged into the Hastati and were heavily engaged. Similarly, some of the enemy Peltastai had made their way into the Principes and were similarly engaged. Father, I hate these Greeks and their horrible foreign names.

A crisis had started to develop on our right flank. The Samnites were engaged against some Hoplitai and were about to be outflanked by one of the large phalanxes that had shed so much good Roman blood in the previous nine years. Blasio called us over to the right flank, while withdrawing his own cavalry that was deployed there. We moved over as ordered, the tension building the whole time, and struggled to get into line in time.

Fortunately the Accensii caused enough of a distraction so that the Phalanx chased after them and not us. As such we were able to get into line and charge the Phalanx. We were able to start to lap around the flank. Father, I was one of the ones on the left, and as such can only tell you of the goings on there.

The men on the Phalanxes right who were opposing us dropped their long spears and drew their daggers, attempting to fend off our short spears. We butchered them like pigs. It was here father, that I killed my first man in the name of the Republic. Nothing could have felt better. The blood was pounding in my ears, drowning out the cries and screams of those around me.

The man in front of me had his dagger drawn and was looking slightly scared. I suppose I must have had a fierce look on my face. Then I stabbed him. I stabbed him father, and I could not be happier. I watched as his insides spilled out over the guy next to him, who started to retch and was stabbed by the guy next to me.

We continued on in this way for quite some time. I don’t know how, but I suppose the Samnites had overcome the Hoplitai, hopefully leaving some large numbers of their fellow Samnites behind them, and then were able to come around and charge the rear of the phalanx. I am sure we did not need the help. Roman courage could overcome anything.

Despite being completely surrounded, the Phalanx continued fighting on. Then, some of the returning Hoplitai had come back to charge the rear of the Samnites. Fortunately, they killed some before the Samnites turned around and began to dispatch of them.

The fighting continued on the flank and we were making deep inroads into the Phalanx. We were stepping over piles of the dead and the dust raised form all of the men stepping in the dirt was beginning to become choking.

Some small number of the enemy cavalry still remained and these charged into the Samnites as well, skewering themselves onto their spears. The dust they raised just made things worse.

Finally, we Romans overcame the Phalanx and they broke and ran. We were too tired to give a good pursuit, but they attempted to run through the Samnites, who in turn speared what remained of them. They are claiming a victory from this, but we know better. The Samnites also overcame what remained of their enemies.

After I took leave from my Centurion and moved around the field, I found myself in awe of the immense destruction. Our fight had not been the only destructive one.

But such is the price of victory.

Your faithful son,
    Pvblivs Rvfinvs

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Fortunately, they killed some before the Samnites turned around and began to dispatch of them.
    I'm wondering if you mean 'unfortuntately.' Otherwise good, I liked the part about hating greek names.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

No, I mean fortunately. He just hates Samnies that much.

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky
    I'm wondering if you mean 'unfortuntately.' Otherwise good, I liked the part about hating greek names.
    The character is a Roman who hates Samnites, even when fighting on his side, which would explain the "fortunately".

Brilliant! Outstanding where will the 2nd Legion go next?

Great! Rhegion the next target, or somewhere more exotic?
    Check out the Gahzette!

Back.

Fortunately, they killed some before the Samnites turned around and began to dispatch of them.
    This soldier is definently my favourite character from your AArs, CA.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

First Blood
    thou stole the title of my first chapter!!!!!! lol
    tis ok- all is forgiven.
    still, nice AAR!
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 10-21-2007 at 17:26.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

EB II Romani Consul Suffectus Member Zaknafien's Avatar
    Somewhere inside the Military-Industrial Complex

originally stolen from David Morrell , btw. Unless you were around before 1972.

"urbani, seruate uxores: moechum caluom adducimus. / aurum in Gallia effutuisti, hic sumpsisti mutuum." --Suetonius, Life of Caesar

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

lol!
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Asia ton Barbaron mapper Member Pharnakes's Avatar

Smile Re: 2nd Legion - The Eagles of Rome

I'm pretty sure somebody must have used it before 1972.
    Asia ton Barbaron The new eastern mod for eb!

Laziest member of the team My red balloons, as red as the blood of he who mentioned Galatians.
    Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?

this guy is a maniac

btw how old is he?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast