Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Minor anomalies and nuisance

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Post Minor anomalies and nuisance

Let me report such minor glitches as the title says using this thread. Others are welcome to post here instead of cluttering the place with plenty of threads.

No major bugs here please!

• In my ongoing Lusotannan campaign (actually my first ever EB game ) there's this dock in my land, with a weird pop-up:

• A place holder is holding place in the building browser:

Last edited by Mouzafphaerre; 10-17-2007 at 19:17.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Default Re: Minor anomalies and nuisance

A place holder is holding place in the building browser:
    The building browser is broken and useless in EB. For some reason it does not like the "and not" variable which is extensively used in the EB edb. We can't do anything about it.

For Building information you should refer to the building trees made by JMRC,which are in the eb/documentation folder.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonny
    The building browser is broken and useless in EB. For some reason it does not like the "and not" variable which is extensively used in the EB edb. We can't do anything about it.

For Building information you should refer to the building trees made by JMRC,which are in the eb/documentation folder.
    Thanks. Nothing affecting my gameplay really. It was just there.

So, what about the docks? Is it really a buglet or something intended that rests in ambush to surprise me when the time is ripe?

Well, the Lusotannan are expert ambushers and all... But I wouldn't worry much about the docks.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

I'm not sure wether this is minor stuff, but I don't like to open a new thread:

1. As Ptolemaioi I cannot recruit Cretan Archers because the necessary level 1 or 2 government cannot be installed in Crete. I just copied the Cretan Archers to a barrack with a level 3 or 4 government to get them.

2. In Meroe I should be able to recruit bush elephants - that isat least what the ingame description of the MIC tells me. But the unit does not appear in the roster. I did not try to solve the problem because bush elephants were probably never used in warfare.

3. Ptolemaioi can recruit Indian longbowmen. The unit info however is missing, the friendly placeholder appears. I simply copied the unit info file from 0.81 into the 1.0 folder.

4. I would like to recruit Ethiopian warriors but cannot as Ptolemaioi, although the edu gives them to me. I think it's intention of the EB team to let the units only to Saba, to make them a bit exclusive.
    But it's nice that you made all the preparations that other factions can have them too. I just had to copy them from Saba to my Ptolemaioi barracks.

EB 1.0 is great!
    The queen commands and we'll obey
    Over the Hills and far away.
    (perhaps from an English Traditional, about 1700 AD)

Drum, Kinder, seid lustig und allesamt bereit:
    Auf, Ansbach-Dragoner! Auf, Ansbach-Bayreuth!
    (later chorus -containing a wrong regimental name for the Bayreuth-Dragoner (DR Nr. 5) - of the "Hohenfriedberger Marsch", reminiscense of a battle in 1745 AD, to the music perhaps of an earlier cuirassier march)

Minor issue/annoyance of mine:
    In my Romani campaign I have now twice had invisible, non-locateable Carthie armies/FMs siege cities of mine, which forces me to reload since I can't sally with my army since there is no army present! I even tried to find it using an outside army the last time and while it presents the red areas that should indicate where it is sadly those red zones seem to indicate an army that would already be in the city!
    Balloons:
    From gamegeek2 for my awesome AI expansion -
    From machinor for 'splainin -

Quote Originally Posted by bovi
    Well, the Lusotannan are expert ambushers and all... But I wouldn't worry much about the docks.
    The dummy prince got bored of sitting inside Oxtraca and decided to take a walk to investigate the issue on location:

The demons fiddling with the docks apparently vanished at his rumour. Well, if you can't go there, it's not yours!

A couple more bells and whistles:

• Foreign Sea Trading Post is awaiting its EB description:

• The adjective form of Pahlava appears as Parthian:

Last edited by Mouzafphaerre; 10-21-2007 at 05:03.

And I've found my culprit: an invisible Xanthippos. Oddly enough I can not attack him in the open field, even though it shows the little sword. I tried, repeatedly, to no avail. I finally brought him to task when he decided to retreat into a city and show himself there. But I will say that is a most annoying bug.
    Note: It shows 14 AD b/c I took the pic before I activated the script; I loaded a game to get this pic.
    Last edited by LordCurlyton; 10-21-2007 at 21:35.
    Balloons:

That is really odd. I don't think I've ever seen invisible armies before. Could there have been a major disaster that killed every soldier in a stack, making it a ghost army, then that merged with another and remained invisible?

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

LordCurlyton, am I seeing something wrong in your minimap? It seems kind of weird, colourwise.

AFAICT the map color is actually a lack of minimap texturing. I played the first few years with straight RTW-exe before converting over to BI-exe, which required/recommended the deletion of map.rwm. The mini-map has been that way ever since. I like it, personally. Very crisp and all.
    @ Bovi: I didn't think of that, but I DO know that Xanthippos is a spawned character, no? Maybe something weird happened when he got scripted to appear...I can also say that I saw a perfectly visible Xanthippos appear after the start of Punic War I, but (and I can't say positively) I would have sworn there was TWO Xanthippos' in the army, and then I get this invisible, non-assailable, obviously worn down army with a 65-year old Xanthippos in it. Took me some frustration to figure it out, since if he sieged you could not find him and could not sally, as the red ZOCs when you move an army would indicate that he was IN a city I owned!!! And if I COULD manage to somehow locate the phantom with the inside army it would just say path blocked. But as I said he made the fatal mistake of retreating into a city, where I brought him to task with that full stack of Polybian units you see in the screenshot.
    Balloons:

I once had the invisible character problem, but in my case it was me who controlled the invisible army!

Playing an EB 0.81 campaign with Baktria, I moved a character with the "move_character" command (to a perfectly valid location) to intercept some brigands and he just vanished. Clicking on the location the character was moved to did select him normally and showed the army layout and the area of movement for the turn, the character stayed invisible on the campaign map however. I tried to attack the brigands with my invisible army, but that caused an immediate CTD (right after I right-clicked the brigands: looked like the game crashed because it couldn't play the attack animation of the invisible character).

So perhaps there is a tiny chance in RTW that "spawning" a character (creating or moving one with a script command) causes the character to become invisible, and that using such a character for some specific actions crashes the game. Could be an explanation for some of the unexplainable crashes

Freaky.

Has anyone had problems with the Campaignian (sp?) cavalry giving them flashing lines on the battlefield? It's hard to explain, so here's a screen shot:

I've had a similar problem with praetorian cavalry, but that problem was far more severe and often gave me CTDs.
    It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
    Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-Sir Winston Churchill
    ΔΟΣ ΜΟΙ ΠΑ ΣΤΩ ΚΑΙ ΤΑΝ ΓΑΝ ΚΙΝΑΣΩ--Give me a place to stand and I will move the earth.-Archimedes on his work with levers
    Click here for my Phalanx/Aquilifer mod

Has anyone had problems with the Campaignian (sp?) cavalry giving them flashing lines on the battlefield? It's hard to explain, so here's a screen shot:
    damn, this should have been fixed already.

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: Minor anomalies and nuisance

Seems that this is the right thread for two minor observations I made:

1. In Tyde, the northwesternmost settlement in Spain, there is a Sacred Enclosure to Marduk. This seemed pretty odd to me.

2. As Sweboz I experienced it twice that a family member got both the Spearcarrier and the Gaizaberon ancillary in the same turn. Which seems odd because it's exactly the same thing.

I had a CTD during a battle when I zoomed at the Campanian Cavalry. I also had a similar problem with the praetorian cavalry in 0.8, so this is probably a known issue.

Dunno if you know or not, but the low-res Hoplitai (Greek Classical Hoplites) have a short spear. All other low-res hoplite models have a long spear, as far as I know.

The Getai unit Komatai Epilektoi has an incorrect upkeep cost. It should be 737 (1/4 of their recruitment cost), but currently it is 168.
    Last edited by ElectricEel; 10-27-2007 at 21:05.

A few issues I've noticed (apologies if these have been posted in other threads):

1. Some of the untyped public order bonuses remain. I've seen them on two flavors of AS temple, one flavor of Hayasdan temple, and a few other places I don't remember as specifically.

2. In my Hayasdan campaign, I now have duplicate homeland/expansion region markers in the pan-caucasus provinces (except the capital). One set appeared as normal after the capital triggered the start of the reform, and the other set seems to have showed up after I captured Karkathiokerta (Sophene province, in case I totally butchered the city's spelling...). Not a problem as far as gameplay (these markers share my culture), it's just a bit of unnecessary clutter in the city.

3. My AS campaign ran into the Babylonian New Year bug noted elsewhere. Maybe this is intended but unclear, but I find it odd that the Babylonian New Year trait triggered when the faction leader was in Antioch at the start of spring - seems pretty far from Babylon to me...

4. One of my AS guys (I think the one who starts out in Ipsos or Sardis) starts with a Mentor ancillary who says he reduces squalor. His actual effect is to increase squalor. Not that I mind - it's relatively easy to move the ancillary along so he's putting the brakes on someplace like Antioch.

5. Again, maybe WAD, but I noticed that both of my satraps in the AS campaign got the "minting own coins" trait very soon after their satrapy ancillary, despite being Loyal characters. Perhaps the minting trait isn't as closely tied to the basic character traits as I'd expect, though.

Ligurian Infantry have a bow symbol instead of javelin symbol when you click to attack a unit.

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: Re: Minor anomalies and nuisance

Quote Originally Posted by maso
    Ligurian Infantry have a bow symbol instead of javelin symbol when you click to attack a unit.
    So do Druhtiz Habukisku, plus they have the option for skirmishing mode or even start the battle in skirmishing mode.

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

In the Saba factional MIC (at least the very first level) has a gramatical error. At one place, it says "the the". See picture below.

I get plenty of such typos in texts but simply ignore them. As I said elsewhere, stock games tend to have at least as much. Some discrepancies in history of the year texts I save though, which are apparently leftovers from the initial copy-paste.

But I'm keeping screenshots of missing descriptions and place holders to upload in lot, instead of piecemeal spam.
    Last edited by Mouzafphaerre; 11-07-2007 at 07:19.

Thanks. That was not the only case of double the's, I've fixed a number of them now .

================
    ================

I don't have a screenshot but it can get annoying sometimes. When you try to look at the unit details or get a message pop up. The words and stats are there but in the picture part, its a white blank. I'll try to get a screeny next time it happens.
    "I am the Flail of God. If you have not committed such sins would God have sent me to punish you?" -Genghis Khan

I saw that on the apothecary once. I think if the guy alt-tabbed out of the game and back in again, the pictures came up fine, then turned white again the next time he pulled the scroll up. The solution was more RAM, IIRC.

================
    ================

Komatai Epilektoi are missing sprites. When you zoom out far enough on the battlefield, the only thing you see where they are supposed to be are their shadows.

The last sentence of the short description for Scythian Foot Archers reads: "However, like most bowmen, they are not well suited." The end of the sentence appears to be missing.

The Year in History popup for 255 BC has a mistake in it:
    ... In Cyclades, Antigonos Gonatas secures the Island League, or Nesiotes, after defeating a serious defeat upon the Ptolemaic admiral Patroklos, ...
    'Defeating' should be 'inflicting'.

The description of the Aorsi Riders implies they should be armored better than the basic horse archers, but they actually have even less armor.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast