Thread: Add more Buildings

Question Add more Buildings

Hello,

I em working in the moment on the Building txt file and so far i have 54 Buildings that work. I wanted to add even the once from Viking Invasion like the Warrior Hold and the Stockage + Fortified villiage. to the orignial Files.

Like the one From Viking Invasion:

8 CASTLE "Warrior Hold, Stockade, Fortified Village, Fort, Fort Motte, Fort Motte Bailey, Keep, Keep Curtainwall, Keep Curtainwall Ballista" "CASTLE, TROOP_PRODUCER" " 200, 400, 600, 1000, 200, 200, 1200, 200, 200" "1,2,3,4,1,1,6,1,1" "{}, {CASTLE}, etc....

The Orignial from MTW:

14 CASTLE "Fort, Fort Motte, Fort Motte Bailey, Keep, Keep Curtainwall, Keep Curtainwall Ballista,Castle,Castle Ringwall,Castle Ringwall Catapult,Citadel,Citadel Barbican, Citadel Barbican GunTowers,Fortress, Fortress Artillerytowers1, Fortress Artillerytowers2" "CASTLE, etc....

So then i got something that looks like:

17 CASTLE "Warrior Hold, Stockade, Fortified Village, Fort, Fort Motte, Fort Motte Bailey, Keep, Keep Curtainwall, Keep Curtainwall Ballista,Castle,Castle Ringwall,Castle Ringwall Catapult,Citadel,Citadel Barbican, Citadel Barbican GunTowers,Fortress, Fortress Artillerytowers1, Fortress Artillerytowers2" etc...

But the game wont load....

I did Search for all tread i could find but i did not find anything that tell how to make it work... is it maybe not possible to put the 3 pre Fort building in the txt or did i do something wrong and it is possible?

PS: Does anyone know what is the maximum building limit for the txt for Units its 256 so far i saw is the building limit the same or lower? How many upgrades can i make per unit? Is the maximum 14 and that the reason why i cant add the 3 things?

Thanks Folks for u help,

Krondor
    " Steel meets Steel... "
    " Even when we are Last in Line we shine... "

Quote from Famous Leader about Croatians and History:
    During the years of French ruling in Croatian-Slovenian parts, Croatians served in many French military formations. Napoleon was one of many rulers that were fascinated by Croatian war skills, he said to General Marmont: "I never had more braver and better soldiers". Napoleon also said this: "Croatians, there are best soldiers in the world. If I had only 100000 Croatians, I would conquer the entire world!".

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Default Re: Add more Buildings

Hi Krondor

Your problem here is that the castle line isn't just a building.

Each level of castle needs its own battlemap in each and every castle map group, and if you are adding castles at the bottom end of the scale, then you will need to rename ALL of your existing castle map names (which is two files for each map). So before you even start making the new maps you will have to rename about 600 files. I also suspect that 15 levels is some kind of limit as well, so you could do all that work and find it still doesn't work....

Basically, it is a HUGE job with no guarantee of working. If you really want to use the Viking castles, it would be easier to use JUST the Viking castles, you may then be able to add in extra levels at the top end.

I could go into more detail on that, I'll just let the shock sink in first

EDIT: read this thread https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=29944 for info on making battlemaps, including castle maps
    Last edited by macsen rufus; 10-25-2007 at 12:56.
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

600 Files?!?

Well at least it explains why i get the wrong Castle maps for the Viking Castles...

I will read the link u gave me, maybe i get some more ideas.

PS: How much Buildings can i have in the game?
    " Steel meets Steel... "

During the years of French ruling in Croatian-Slovenian parts, Croatians served in many French military formations. Napoleon was one of many rulers that were fascinated by Croatian war skills, he said to General Marmont: "I never had more braver and better soldiers". Napoleon also said this: "Croatians, there are best soldiers in the world. If I had only 100000 Croatians, I would conquer the entire world!".

Update:

I did add up to 67 Buildings now seems to work so far, but i still need to edit the abilities, but if i add more then 67 i wont show or get in... i try now to see what the max of upgrade is now.

Update:

I made a mistake when adding i Get more in now 84 :)
    Last edited by Krondor; 10-25-2007 at 16:37.
    " Steel meets Steel... "

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

I haven't found the limit for number of buildings - 256 seems a likely figure though, like the combat units, but this is a pure guess. If anyone has reached the building limit it would be Cegorach in his Pike and Musket mod - he has added loads of new ones.

For the castle maps, the Viking ones are in their own subdirectory, so you could swap them across to the main directory and use the Viking castle entries in the build_prod. I'm not sure quite how the upgrades/levels go, though. You'd need to look at the map names. I think the first three are all new levels, and the upgrades start with the fort + motte

For each map group (in Viking) there will be nine maps, something like this: (where "castlehilly01" is the map group)

castlehilly01_1_0 (first level, no upgrades) - Warrior hold
    castlehilly01_2_0 (second level, no upgrades) - Stockade
    castlehilly01_4_1 (fourth level, one upgrade) - Fort + motte
    castlehilly01_5_2 (fifth level, two upgrades) - Keep + curtainwall + ballista towers

etc etc

so if you wanted to add a "castle" level, it would need to have its maps named as "castlehilly01_6_0" - BUT you'd have to add a 6_0 map to every castle map group (and there will be castlehilly, castleflat, castlemountain and so on, with maybe 4 or 5 different maps in each group). In original MTW campaign, a castle is level 3, so you could copy an MTW "castlehilly01_3_0" map and rename it to "castlehilly01_6_0" and it would work as an extra level with your Viking maps - if you wanted the upgrades too, then you'd do the _3_1 and _3_2 maps as well.

Of course, you can build your own castles using the map editor in MTW, but there are rules about what will and won't work (walls must be enclosed, use snap to grid, etc). The best method is to prepare your "landscape" first, then you can build a series of castles getting bigger, and using better walls, more towers etc as you go, and save the map at each level and upgrade. Once you get into the swing of it, it's not difficult - and it is great fun designing your own castles, too (I made some for my Ancient mod that are so well defended you need cannons to assault them if you don't want to lose half your army in the attack )

It's easy to test castle maps in custom battles, so you can see what's going on with your new ones easily enough.
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Thanks Friend,

I em just trying to do it now. Thats a great Idea. I hopefully get it to run. I em stuck with Building on 84 i will check out the mod u mentions maybe he made something to get more in

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=64117 Well Pike and Muskets look good.
    Last edited by Krondor; 10-25-2007 at 22:32.
    " Steel meets Steel... "