Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Fanatic’s First Cohort/Phalanx/Elephant/Chariot minimod

Default Re: Fanatic’s First Cohort/Phalanx/Elephant/Chariot minimod

Quote Originally Posted by TWFanatic View Post
    I have been using short_pike since EB v.81 (IIRC--the one before 1.0) and would not trade it for anything. It's benefits far outweigh its shortcomings IMHO. I tried tweaking soldier radius at first and it just was not the same--I didn't get the tightly packed "overlapping-shields" phalanx and the spearhead dragging beneath the ground problem still exists. In that sense, short_pike actually fixes several bugs.

I use short_pike for the reasons mentioned on the title post (on page one). If you prefer something else, good for you. Whatever floats your boat. Do remember also that this mod does more than just add short_pike (again see the title post). In general, it makes phalanxes of the Macedonian and Hoplite variety easier to flank, kill at a slower rate, and push with greater force.
    I understand. But maybe the "unit radius tweak" can be a good compromise for the "hoplites" that having a secondary weapon don't benefit of the "short_pike" attribute, like iphikratean, getikoi stratiotai, etc ... They had in the 0.81 the "phalanx" formation that made them overpowered, but now (I quote you) they really fight like an unorganized rabble, and are quite useless. Maybe a little radius fix can make them more worthy the money they cost...

The model I use in my EDUs is very simple: 0.4 - (MORALE/100)

So for the Spartiatai of the example in the first page, we will have a radius of : 0.4 - 0.17 = 0.23 that is very close to the optimum, accordingly to the thread I posted the link. Less drilled units will have a looser formation, and levy hoplites will fight in a manner only slightly more tight than non-hoplites units.

Just my 2 cents, hope it can be of some use for you and your awesome mod.
    Last edited by Aper; 12-26-2008 at 23:09.
    Quote Originally Posted by vartan View Post
    RESPECT
    from Ibrahim

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

i tried this, and i cannot get my hoplites to actually move in a phalanx formation. they stand still with long spears, but when ready, they hold them backwards and above them, and if ordered to charge or move, switch to the old, short spears
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

Hey, TWFanatic; a moment of your time, if you will:

In your description of the mod, you mention that without it hoplites "break formation and charge like unorganized rabble", and with it "they stay in a tight, orderly formation and slam into the enemy as one..."

So, apparently, it is almost impossible for a phalanx to maintain cohesion during a charge, and they didn't organize back into a line until the back rows had caught up with the front. That means that the old style of charge was actually correct.

And, to be clear, I'm talking about regular hoplites, not phalangites.
    Last edited by desert; 02-22-2009 at 23:47.

TWFanatic, I've noticed that in this version you don't have this "ultra push". Or am I the only one not having it? I actually prefer this version rather then the radius change if the ultra push is gone.

Ultra push?

What's that?

And I think he might not be around anymore.

Downgradez :( Member Iskander 3.1's Avatar

So do I just extract the export_descr_unit contained in the "sp game edu backup" folder into the RTW\data folder?
    Strikeout!

Hello
    i downloaded your mod once and it worked perfectly,(i'm using BI.exe) then i had to uninstall the game and redownload your mod. however this time it doesn't work.... i've even tried extracting it to the eb and BI folder, but still nothing changes, please i really liked this mod!

Italians do it better! Chi dice donna dice guai. Abbi donna di te minore, se vuoi essere signore. Donne e buoi dei paesi tuoi. Fiume, grondaia e donna parlatora mandano l'uomo di casa fuora.
    And my personal favorite: "Non rimuovere il confine antico fissato dai tuoi padri". In english: "Do not remove the anchent border placed by your fathers". It looses something in the translation......

Hmmm, anyone?
    Strikeout!

Quote Originally Posted by desert View Post
    Ultra push?

What's that?

And I think he might not be around anymore.
    Where they pushed into a formation into seconds, even breaking a Macedonian Phalanx in seconds.

So do I just extract the export_descr_unit contained in the "sp game edu backup" folder into the RTW\data folder?
    You should do it to: C/The Creative Assembly/RTW/EB/sp game edu backup.

Hello
    i downloaded your mod once and it worked perfectly,(i'm using BI.exe) then i had to uninstall the game and redownload your mod. however this time it doesn't work.... i've even tried extracting it to the eb and BI folder, but still nothing changes, please i really liked this mod!
    Maybe you should try to place the Export files manually in the correct spots (sp game edu backup + mp game edu backup).

Thanks Phalanx. I guess I was confused by the instructions to extract to the RTW folder.
    Strikeout!

Hi im rather new to this modding business and just tried to install the Phalanx mod.

I get this error
    10:43:48: Failed to copy the file 'C:\Users\Home\Saved Games\EB\Lighting\Recommended\descr_battle_map_lighting_and_fog_control.txt' to 'C:\Users\Home\Saved Games\EB\Data\descr_battle_map_lighting_and_fog_control.txt' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)
    10:43:48: Failed to copy the file 'C:\Users\Home\Saved Games\EB\sp game edu backup\export_descr_unit.txt' to 'C:\Users\Home\Saved Games\EB\Data\export_descr_unit.txt' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)
    10:43:48: Failed to copy the file 'C:\Users\Home\Saved Games\EB\sp game edu backup\Rome.lnt' to 'C:\Users\Home\Saved Games\EB\Data\menu\Rome.lnt' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)
    10:43:48: Failed to copy the file 'C:\Users\Home\Saved Games\EB\sp game edu backup\descr_character.txt' to 'C:\Users\Home\Saved Games\EB\Data\descr_character.txt' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)
    10:43:48: Failed to copy the file 'C:\Users\Home\Saved Games\EB\sp game edu backup\map.rwm' to 'C:\Users\Home\Saved Games\EB\Data\world\maps\base\map.rwm' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)
    10:43:48: Can not enumerate files in directory 'C:\Users\Home\Saved Games\EB\Modesty\Default\Data' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)
    10:43:48: Can not enumerate files in directory 'C:\Users\Home\Saved Games\EB\Modesty\Default\Data' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)

I just want rid of it now so i can play EB with or without 'phalanx mod' - ive deleted the files phalanx mod brought with it and it still wont work?!

If i uninstall EB will i loose my saves?
    Last edited by Svenn; 04-11-2009 at 10:51.

Gone fishing......(got eaten by a SHARK instead)....

Quote Originally Posted by Svenn View Post
    I just want rid of it now so i can play EB with or without 'phalanx mod' - ive deleted the files phalanx mod brought with it and it still wont work?!

If i uninstall EB will i loose my saves?
    Hey Svenn, I recommend that you backup your saves & reinstall EB coz u've messed up with the EB files.......ur saves can be found in Rome - Total War/EB/saves.....after reinstalling just place ur saves back in there........

Now, my query to TWFanatic..........I m currently playing as Makedonians.....I want to modify the macedonian phalanx by increasing their lethality........How to do that ????? also is ur mod compatible with other mods such as alex-eb engine & allied armies...........

Am I the only one who can't get the download link working?
    Last edited by Fierro; 06-10-2009 at 05:16.

no...

seems broken to me also. Getting a "file not available" message all the time, been trying for days now.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcani_Bar_Kochba View Post
    no...

seems broken to me also. Getting a "file not available" message all the time, been trying for days now.
    you might as well give up on trying because fierro posted like 2 months ago try lz3's minimod pack instead for the phalanx mod

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910