Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Interactive History VI: Warrior's Ambition

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

Default Re: Interactive History VI: Warrior's Ambition

Option 1
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

I'll add to the landslide for option 1. From the prologue Walter seems brave but not reckless - if he has the chance to get more info before rushing in he would.
    Non me rogare, loquare non lingua latinus

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

He doesn't seem heartless enough to survive and prosper in the SS, nor do the players of the Org (I'm pretty sure of that; while we're all armchair generals more than willing to smash the Royal Navy in a grand operation, few of us entertain sufficient Nazist sympathies to play comfortably as them, especially as a boot on the ground). But I'm pretty sure we won't have much of a game if he repudiates them right away; the SS aren't known for being particularly understanding. Let us find more information and stall it for the time being.

Option 1

My speculation is this: if we get in on the SS right away, we'll have a much easier, perhaps even more exciting early game: efficient troops, more resources, Himmler's backing and consequently an easier time getting our way on a macro level; but our hero will later on descend further and further into a deep personality conflict that will destroy him in the end. From what little we know of him, and from what we played as his glorious relative, he's not a murderer, but a patriot.

Also, the poor Admiral. He could've saved Germany, he really could!
    Last edited by AntiochusIII; 11-22-2007 at 22:27.

Join the ICLADOLLABOJADALLA! Member IrishArmenian's Avatar

I vote for number three!

"Half of your brain is that of a ten year old and the other half is that of a ten year old that chainsmokes and drinks his liver dead!" --Hagop Beegan

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

Shun the non-believer! Shuuuun.

"Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Although Himmler's offer is nice and propably the one with more to offer, I still feel that the Waffen SS is the wrong place for this Schleizinger. Hence I choose option three.
    Friendship, Fun & Honour!

"The Prussian army always attacks."
    -Frederick the Great

Is anyone just allowed to join in on this?

I'd say number 2 is the best bet. Saying no to the S.S. doesn't seem like something that you do if you don't have a death wish.

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brave_Sir_Robin
    Is anyone just allowed to join in on this?

I'd say number 2 is the best bet. Saying no to the S.S. doesn't seem like something that you do if you don't have a death wish.
    Any and all can join in...
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

I agree with the concensus, #1. Also we should keep in mind that if we do eventually join the SS we are probably more likely to jobs we would rather not do, like hunt for partisans and I'm sure there is nothing that can go wrong there.
    Course, if the implication is true and the SS is the fast tract to promoption, then we are in a stronger position to impact the outcome.

Ah, so in this timeline our admiral rather then dying for victory screwed up.

GoreBag: Oh, Prole, you're a nerd's wet dream.

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by discovery1
    Ah, so in this timeline our admiral rather then dying for victory screwed up.
    Not really... History just went the 'right' way and he was never promoted to the position, he was overlooked and there was never a replacement ofthe leadership. That 'unhistorical' change was the entire basis for the other story, it was the main turningpoint of history. Removing it and you remove all the effects the man can do.

Like so many people sometimes experience, the Admiral felt something had gone wrong at some point. That history had taken the wrong track in regards to him. That his destiny was lost, and he never got to fulfill it. That destirny was to lead the High Seas Fleet against the Grand Fleet. Obviously it nagged him until he couldn't handle it anymore, and it combined with his inner demons conspired to end his life.
    His actions were exactly the same in this IH (prior to the events of Duel of the Sea), but unfortunately for him, he never got the lucky break he did in the other IH.
    Last edited by Kraxis; 11-23-2007 at 06:12.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

The writting feels more like a novel then a IH, great job Kraxis.

Oh and welcome back to the org :wave:

As for the option I'll join the bandwagon and go with number one, no use rushing in where we could end up in anti partisian warfare or the S.S.'s more burtal branches. If we could get into an panzer unit through it could be a fast track to promotion.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

(Insert innuendo here) Member Balloon Bomber Champion DemonArchangel's Avatar

1.), although the reconnaissance battalion means you're much less likely to get killed than in the Pz. Btn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    China is not a world power. China is the world, and it's surrounded by a ring of tiny and short-lived civilisations like the Americas, Europeans, Mongols, Moghuls, Indians, Franks, Romans, Japanese, Koreans.

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

Number 2 please. Bring on the SS!

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Option 1:
    Sure we'll end up in the SS but maybe the Hauptmann can get something more out of it then he allready gets.

P.S. I recommend anyone that didn't participate in 'the duel of the seas' to read the installments to fully appreciate the scene with Walters great uncle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Are you crazy? You send a brave man to the SS? No way!! Option 3 is the right thing to do.

I say go to your commanding general and tell him about Himmler`s offer. The Heer is not pleased by the competition with the Waffen-SS and Walter will surely get a much better offer. Let`s gamble a bit.

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

We could do that. Hey, we already are buying time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Well, and remember the words of Kraxis. Didn`t he ell us, that this is a very individual interactive, and that we will have to pay, if we decide to do things against the character.

Do you really want to see our hero fighting partisans, killing children and women, burning down villages, killing hostages? The SS is not just a club, it is a bunch of criminals. Don`t forget that. The Heer is evil enough, don`t let us go to the SS!

I sort of like the reconnaissance battalion's job. It's most likely not going to be used for anti-partisan duties, and it would probably be attached to a Panzer unit in the first place. But unlike that Panzer unit, the likelihood of it coming under air attack is low, so chance of survival would be higher. Although since we're buying time, I suggest going to Walter's commanding officer and doing as Franc suggested.
    Last edited by DemonArchangel; 11-23-2007 at 17:57.
    China is not a world power. China is the world, and it's surrounded by a ring of tiny and short-lived civilisations like the Americas, Europeans, Mongols, Moghuls, Indians, Franks, Romans, Japanese, Koreans.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonArchangel
    I sort of like the reconnaissance battalion's job. It's most likely not going to be used for anti-partisan duties, and it would probably be attached to a Panzer unit in the first place. But unlike that Panzer unit, the likelihood of it coming under air attack is low, so chance of survival would be higher. Although since we're buying time, I suggest going to Walter's commanding officer and doing as Franc suggested.
    Why is recon unit not the right thing to fight partisans? You have to find them first. So why not sending out recon units into the woods and swamps. By the way, they did use tank divisions to clear the rear of the front from partisans - SS tank divisions. Even before the start of Zitadelle. If we chose SS, this may become a bloody job

Just your average Senior Member Warmaster Horus's Avatar
    Besancon, France: a stepping stone to greatness. I hope.

Yeah, but if we are opposed to the SS - which is a possibility they might consider - then it's better to have a unit under our command. Do you see what I'm hinting at?
    Option One lets us know if there's something more to this offer, which there almost certainly is. However, the SS might not appreciate it.
    Option Two gives us advantages. But we'll be given moral dilemnas later on, assuredly. Maybe we can profit from the advantages now, use them, and when the situation is unbearable... Cut off all ties and join whichever opposing faction we're up against?
    Option Three is suicidal. I assume the SS officer is still in the room, and if you tell him "no", he's not going to leave happily.
    So, option one is logical, but two isn't that bad.

By the way, there's a little mistake near the end of the first chapter... "You both laugh". But the writing's third person, no?
    Last edited by Warmaster Horus; 11-23-2007 at 18:31.
    The Throne Room: "Less a forum, more a way of life." Econ21
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Join the latest greatest installement of mafia games: Capo di Tutti Capi!
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

GAH! Stupid counter-insurgency warfare! The Germans are terrible at COIN because COIN is all about hearts and minds. No amount of massive genocide is going to cure the partisan situation.

Yea, you're right Franc. But I'm still going to go with #1, just because refusing the SS outright is suicidal, especially since Himmler himself wants me in the SS.

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Franconicus
    Why is recon unit not the right thing to fight partisans? You have to find them first. So why not sending out recon units into the woods and swamps. By the way, they did use tank divisions to clear the rear of the front from partisans - SS tank divisions. Even before the start of Zitadelle. If we chose SS, this may become a bloody job
    I think the overwhelming support for Option 1 is actually an indication that few of us want to get in on the SS club, really. To me and others, Option 3 just seems like he's showing the middle finger to that lunatic Himmler...not something you do without any backing whatsoever, a position which our hero is in.

By waiting he might receive similar offers from the Heer, for example, and then we jump on that offer right away. Generals on the field would no doubt loathe to lose a skilled officer to the SS' political shenanigans, and would do their best to shield him from harm, but right now that "patron" doesn't show up just yet.

Edit: You know, one of the amusing things about the classic Kraxis Interactive History is the workings of the hero's mind. I always imagined that he probably feels like a Borg, "We are the Collective; follow our directions" type of situation. Walter just happens to be slightly more independent than the rest.
    Last edited by AntiochusIII; 11-23-2007 at 20:00.

Just your average Senior Member Warmaster Horus's Avatar
    Besancon, France: a stepping stone to greatness. I hope.

The question is, how likely is that to happen, knowing Kraxis?
    The Throne Room: "Less a forum, more a way of life." Econ21
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Join the latest greatest installement of mafia games: Capo di Tutti Capi!
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

Option 3

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

No.1

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm with Franc on this one. Tell the army. Wait. If they're really interested they'll up the offer. Otherwise we'll sit tight, take nice walks and watch the war on tv
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Quote Originally Posted by SwordsMaster
    I'm with Franc on this one. Tell the army. Wait. If they're really interested they'll up the offer. Otherwise we'll sit tight, take nice walks and watch the war on tv
    Or you might as well desert to the British...
    Medieval 2: Total War Guide to Traits and Retinue
    "Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair but manifestations of strength and resolution." - Khalil Gibran

World War 3 erupted in mid-1960's: NATO - Warsaw Pact Conflict multiplayer Interactive, choose one from several available countries

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Interactive History VI: Warrior's Ambition

I am very glad to see you back in form, Kraxis. I am afraid I am not going to participate in this IH though. I don't want to get sucked into the storyline (like happened last time) when I have little enough time for the Org as it is.

Good luck!
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

By the way, you can refuse to join the SS, even if the offer comes from Himmler himself - at least in 1942. Of cause you should be gentle, tell him that you do not have the physical condition to fight for such an elite corps, tell him that your family has a long and strong tradition to the army, that you promised this to your dead grand uncle. Don`t worry. The Wehrmacht will protect you and support you. It does not like the WaffenSS at all!!

Option 4 would be to contact Student and to try to get to the Fallschirmjäger. Another elite formation, this time under the lead of the Luftwaffe.They would propably take you. Or even volunteer as a fighter pilot. In 1942 they are looking for brave pilots like crazy. Hell, I would do almost anything to get away from the east!!!

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

I would say 3, I really don't think we want to end up in the SS and though we'll probably end up stalling for time because the majority are going with 1 I don't need to stall on this one.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast