Thread: 11-16-2007 MapMod

Default 11-16-2007 MapMod

A new entry has been added to Links and Downloads

Description:

MapMod ver 0.00001 :)

The vanilla map has a ton of path-finding problems that mess up the AI's expansion. Increasing the movement speed and editing the map can reduce the problem. This mod gets rid of about 60% of them and means the AI expands better. It is more noticeable with the vanilla factions that were the worst affected like Russia and the Turks.

This is only a semi-mod, basically the current map bit of a WIP. I've extracted almost all my other changes so the remainder is as plain vanilla as possible.

That's about it. Greater move speed, numerous map edits to clear pathing problems and a few new regions for various reasons, some of them related to AI expansion problems.

Notes:
    1) I didn't want to make two copies of the strat file so it's the one from my main mod. Most regions start out with lower population and lower settlement levels plus I've switched a lot of towns/castles. This makes the starting economy lower. In my main mod I've also reduced unit costs. With vanilla unit costs this means most factions start in the red. On hard difficulty all but the poorest faction, Portugal, seems to cope with this okay. Don't know about medium.
    2) I didn't want two copies of the merc file either so that is also the one from my main mod. There are fewer mercs available but they are very cheap as i like the AI to recruit them.
    3) The only other basic vanilla element changed is descr_character (for increasing the move speed) and settlement_mechanics for making wooden castles and castles require 800 and 1500 population respectively. I needed to do this because of the lower starting economy. Other than that it is vanilla.
    4) Increased move speed and in some cases closer regions means the game becomes more of siege fest. No way to fix that with the map at this scale except to make sieges more tense. That requires a lot more changes that i'll release if i ever get it just right.

Installation:

Extract the rar file into your main MTW folder. All the mod files are contained in the MApMod folder so nothing gets overwritten. There is a LaunchMapMod.bat to click to run the mod.

I left out the sound files to reduce the d/l size so you'd need to copy those over from your main data folder into the MapMod/data folder.

Should work :)

Uninstallation:

Delete MapMod folder
    Delete mapmod.cfg and the launch batch file.

To check it out, visit MapMod

Default Re: 11-16-2007 MapMod

I was going to upload a fuller version of this today (as soon as i'd written the readme) as i'd got a chunk of my proto-diplomacy system done and was hoping some peeps might like to try it out. So if anyone was considering downloading the file mentioned it might be better to wait a bit :)
    It's not a map.