Thread: differnet culture origin?

Member Member Baron von Alvincy's Avatar

Post differnet culture origin?

Hello again

Well, I tried to change regions owners in the startpos file, and declared for instance "Algeria" to the faction "France".
    But that does not work!
    Task Manger said:

Attempted to place a unit in a region owned by a faction with a differnet culture origin.

Please, need some help

Thanks
    BVA

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Default Re: differnet culture origin?

Did you change the starting units in the region? If you leave the original Almohad units there they will be "Muslim" types, whereas France is a Catholic faction. Simple test, just COM out the unit placement with a // for all of the units in Algeria, this should stop the error.

Scroll right to the end of the startpos file, that's where units are "made", and change the relevant entries to:

// MakeUnit:: ID_ALGERIA .....

Once that works, then try placing some correct units for the faction

You might also want to change the SetAttributes:: entry to make the province Catholic as well, all depends on how much you enjoy muslim peasant rebellions
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

I've got an annoying CTD at the moment. It's coming from my early.txt startpos file. Basically the game crashes as soon as the first turn is ended. I've added two extra provinces in and they are working fine until I end the turn.

@Caravel - have you double-checked the borders of your new provinces? ie do your declared neighbours tie up with your border attributes? Check this by reviewing the "terrain armies crossing this border will encounter" right-click thingy - if this is the problem then it will CTD as soon as you hover over a border that is not declared for terrain but exists as a "neighbour" declaration. A bit unwieldy that sentence, but hope you get my drift

Other things to test: does .matteosartori. crash it? Does it crash regardless of what faction you play?

Discussion forum thread

I run the game in ian mode and enabling "god mode" doesn't crash it. Hovering over an adjacent province doesn't crash it either at the moment as I haven't yet set any neighbours for the provinces. I've tried commenting out the new provinces in their entirety and reverting to an older map and it's still the same. Tested this as different factions as well. It crashes every time I end the turn. Loading up from the (unfinished) high startpos file eliminates the crash. I suppose I'll need to trawl through the early.txt file for typos.

I run the game in ian mode
    Wise move - "G" is so much easier to spell

Mmmm, interesting - when you say it crashes when you end the turn, is it as soon as you hit the button, or does stuff move about first, I wonder?

Murphy's Law would tend towards it being something like a tab or a comma or a quote mark in the wrong place, I guess...

So, what else would I check?
    - region_specific - you have names etc set up for the new ones? That might conflict if you com out the startpos declarations. All your "region invaded/lost/conquered...." etc etc strings are consistent?
    - MINILUKUP map consistent (though this is a surprisingly tolerant part of the mix...)? I expect this will be fine, as you've already gone past the FE_MINILUKUP to even start the game.
    - no changes to factions or starting kings? Any owners of the new provinces? Any AI agents on the board in startpos? Standard start date?
    - one trick I often use is cutting out all MakeBuilding and MakeUnit entries (though this is more likely to be related to a loading CTD), then try to narrow it down faction by faction putting stuff back in place...

Hope that helps you remember something you may have forgotten

Discussion forum thread

Quote Originally Posted by macsen rufus
    Mmmm, interesting - when you say it crashes when you end the turn, is it as soon as you hit the button, or does stuff move about first, I wonder?
    Nothing moves, screen goes black and crashes as soon as end turn is hit.

Murphy's Law would tend towards it being something like a tab or a comma or a quote mark in the wrong place, I guess...
    That's what I'm thinking. The early file is a mess anyway, so I may end up rewriting the whole thing on a new one based on the high file, and then tidy up the layout.

- region_specific - you have names etc set up for the new ones? That might conflict if you com out the startpos declarations. All your "region invaded/lost/conquered...." etc etc strings are consistent?
    Vanilla early high and late files all work even with the language files as is. All of those strings are consistent and have checked them all. Usually if they are erroneous you just get an error in the field where the name should be in game but not a crash.

- MINILUKUP map consistent (though this is a surprisingly tolerant part of the mix...)? I expect this will be fine, as you've already gone past the FE_MINILUKUP to even start the game.
    Have I? I've as yet done nothing with the minimap and the campaign selection map as I prefer to base them on the main map once it's finalised. Could this then be the problem? Though if so why does my modified map work with the vanilla early.txt file? AFAIK you can add any provinces to the map so long as they are in the palette. If you don't declare them in the startpos file they will simply be disabled, with no other adverse effects. That's how I had always understood it anyway and is how my lukupmap2 seems to work when placed in the vanilla game (tested that also).

- no changes to factions or starting kings? Any owners of the new provinces? Any AI agents on the board in startpos? Standard start date?
    Starting kings are the same I think, except for the additional Kievan king but he's been there for months and it's been working and I haven't done anything. The Kievans are basically the Russian faction added to the early era to keep the Novgorods from feeling lonely - so not really a new faction.

- one trick I often use is cutting out all MakeBuilding and MakeUnit entries (though this is more likely to be related to a loading CTD), then try to narrow it down faction by faction putting stuff back in place...

Hope that helps you remember something you may have forgotten
    Yep I do that as well, I was just hoping that I wouldn't have to.

Edit: Not the MakeUnit or MakeBuilding at fault so I suppose I'll have to rebuild the file as that will probably be easier than trying to find the error. I've been through the file again and still can't find the error.
    Last edited by caravel; 11-29-2007 at 23:36.

Nothing moves, screen goes black and crashes as soon as end turn is hit.
    I think that's good news Suggests it may not be a province/border problem, as the AI factions are still "thinking" and nothing has encountered any borders yet.

The early file is a mess anyway, so I may end up rewriting the whole thing on a new one based on the high file, and then tidy up the layout.
    Rather than do a total "new build" of the file, I would go the "conversion by parts" route. Start with your functional file, then copy across various sections and test each version till you get a crasher. It all helps to narrow down the search - of course, the problem might not be in the latest part you added, it may just react with it, but at this stage you need anything that can narrow the field...

Have I? I've as yet done nothing with the minimap and the campaign selection map as I prefer to base them on the main map once it's finalised. Could this then be the problem? Though if so why does my modified map work with the vanilla early.txt file? AFAIK you can add any provinces to the map so long as they are in the palette. If you don't declare them in the startpos file they will simply be disabled, with no other adverse effects. That's how I had always understood it anyway and is how my lukupmap2 seems to work when placed in the vanilla game (tested that also).
    You have - the FE_MINILUKUP is the overlay for the "campaign selection map" so once you're in a camapign its job is done You can do all sorts of horrible things to the minimap, so long as it's a BIF and the right size. I have had versions so screwed up that only one province out of 57 showed up (and that in the wrong place ) but the game still worked fine... and again it would affect all eras... so that's ruled out as the cause, I believe.

But all that said, if it is just a startpos typo, the question then is how come it loads in the first place and gets as far as it does ?

It does sound like you've tested all the likely bits, and from what you say I think your LUKUP.LBM must be fine as well. Hmmm.... I have to congratulate you, Caravel - it is a good one

Discussion forum thread