Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Britannia Hotseat Campaign:OOC thread

Makedonios Ksanthopoulos Member Privateerkev's Avatar

Default Re: Britannia Hotseat Campaign:OOC thread

Knight of the Order of St. John
    Duke of Nicosia

We need a IC thread.
    "I thought CA was unarmed? Unless he got some samurai swords or something... I only got some rocks and some sticks." Shlin in BR realizing he has no weapons what so ever.

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoadKill
    We need a IC thread.
    Done.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...20#post1772120
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Senior Member Senior Member Cheetah's Avatar

http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/Britannia-1-6.rar

Done!

ps. it is .rar, hope it is fine
    Lional of Cornwall
    proud member of the Round Table Knights

"If you wish to weaken the enemy's sword, move first, fly in and cut!" - Ueshiba Morihei O-Sensei

rar's are fine.

But for our naming convention, it should be Brittania-2-1 which means Brittania game, 2nd turn, 1st player.

Not a big deal now since you put up the link for Zim to take but something to keep in mind for the future.

Duke of Nicosia

That file type is fine.
    I'm off on a half day trip, but I should be able to get to this tonight.

Senior Member Senior Member Cheetah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Privateerkev
    But for our naming convention, it should be Brittania-2-1 which means Brittania game, 2nd turn, 1st player.
    Sure.

Also, an hour ago I would have said that it will be a very peaceful game. However, I just got a rather harsh message from someone *khm*, so things could be more interesting than they seemed.
    Lional of Cornwall
    proud member of the Round Table Knights

"If you wish to weaken the enemy's sword, move first, fly in and cut!" - Ueshiba Morihei O-Sensei

Peter von Kastilien - RIP Member gibsonsg91921's Avatar

i will follow this with great interest, the international council seems quite intriguing.
    The late Emperor Peter von Kastilien the Tyrant, Lamm der Wahrheit.

Join Capo de Tutti Capi II! It's totally amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetah
    Also, an hour ago I would have said that it will be a very peaceful game. However, I just got a rather harsh message from someone *khm*, so things could be more interesting than they seemed.
    Medieval 2 Total Peace seems boring. Brittania is not big enough for 5 kingdoms so it was inevitable that there would be clashes. The more I play these, the more it is pounded home just how important the first few diplomatic moves are. They really set the tone for the rest of the game.

Also, I like to incorporate history into how I play these hotseats and the real King Alexander was not very patient with the Norse when it came to those islands.

No matter what, it should be fun.

Duke of Nicosia

Ok, I am taking the save. I might take a little while(less than a day) with it. With all those settlements and less money than I'd like I think a bit of planning is in order.

Thanks gibsonsg91921, I thought it would add an interesting element to the game. Of course, it has no power, except maybe that of popular opinion. But I think it will be a fun way to air grievances in the open, make public deals, and maybe just threaten/insult eachother.

Roadkill,
    I can get a diplomat to the bridge east of Cardiff, but none are close enough to reach any of your armies or settlements. Hopefully he can reach one next turn(maybe you have a diplomat that can meet him?). We'll have to delay the settlement giving one more turn.

http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/Britannia-2-2.zip

All done. Sorry about the wait. I tried to play the save earlier and I kept getting a graphics error. One cleaning of the cd and restarting of the computer later, everything was fine!

I want to congratulate everyone on getting a whole turn done so quickly. If we can keep up the pace, I think it will stay exciting for everyone.
    Last edited by Zim; 12-09-2007 at 23:10.

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

I will get to this tonight...
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

wait, so is ozzman even in this game at all? it presents an interesting idea about teams in hotseats, for diplomacy if nothing else

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonsg91921
    wait, so is ozzman even in this game at all? it presents an interesting idea about teams in hotseats, for diplomacy if nothing else
    Nope. I asked Cheetah and he said he hadn't given permission for Ozzman to post on his behalf.

I just had a funny and completely impractical idea, succession hotseat.

A Roleplaying Hotseat game is completely possible. We did it with the Grand Campaign in KotR.

I don't think I would like to play such a game though. I prefer things come about organically in the game. Also, I think people should be able to run their factions any way they want. They don't even have to roleplay. It's pure multi-player and anything goes, except for a couple of basic rules.

Just my opinion. If others want to play hotseats this way, they are more than welcome to start one. Or if Zim wants to turn this game into that, he can, but I'll be bowing out if that happens.

Just not the kind of game I want to play.

Duke of Nicosia

I didn't say that I was changing the nature of this game, just that the idea hit me when I saw Gibson's post.

Wasn't there a mini KOTR for the Teutonic campaign once? That would have been interesting to try, although at the time I didn;'t really notice it, not having even gotten into KOTR itself.

Yeah, there was an attempt to get a Teutonic multi-faction Succession game started. I think it is in permanent limbo at the moment.

I don't think your idea is impractical at all. It would just have to be thought out and have a good group of role-players to bring it off.

Duke of Nicosia

maybe tho, like ozzman did, there could be multiple representatives who debate about the your kingdom during the downtime while you wait for the save.

There would have to be a system of rewards/punishments. Otherwise, what's to stop Ozzman from getting Cheetah involved with a war with Ireland? Which basically would have happened if we took Ozz seriously.

Basically you'd have to have something like the Count system set up. And avatars for characters. But there are no battles to fight. So there is less incentive for players to join and get attached to characters. Not saying there is no incentive but you'd have to think up different carrots and sticks.

Duke of Nicosia

maybe tho, like ozzman did, there could be multiple representatives who debate about the your kingdom during the downtime while you wait for the save.
    I think this might make it a bit hard on the people who are actually playing the game. One of the nice things about Kingdoms Hotseat games is that the turns go quickly. We go through multiple turns in a day, sometimes. There aren't many factions, and few rebel settlements means players can get right to struggling with eachother directly. Having people join factions as "representatives" would bog things down, I think.

If any players want to do something like that, they could create their own "Diet" type thread and invite a few people to play with them, but I'd like to keep the offical Council thread to the five actual players. That way username recognition remains high, making it easy to recognize whish kingdom the posting player is ruling, and the thread won't become too large from all of each faction's members debating eachother.

That's not to say I wouldn't join a game like that, I just don't think I'd care to run it.

interesting theories. also, it would be difficult to keep people from other kingdoms from watching your secret dealings in your diet threads.

Yeah, if people want to make a totally non-binding thread where they just comment on the direction of games IC, they can. I am not sure how much fun it would be but the option is there. I just don't want them to be binding or influential on the current games unless those GM's agree. What Ozzman did was try to change the course of the politics of the game without having a real stake in it. To me that is unfair to Cheetah and should be discouraged unless it is agreed to beforehand.

I agree with Zim that one of the perks with these Hotseat games is their relative ease and quickness. True, some of us pour a lot of time into storyline and character development but these things are completely optional. If you want, you can play your faction completely OOC and just ignore the IC PM's from other players. Adding massive amounts of bureaucracy would bog the game down to the point where it would not be as much fun for me.

If more people want to get involved with these games, then I would encourage them to start up more games. The demand seems to be there. A lot of people would be more than happy to play in more than one game at once and you don't need all of the slots filled up by players anyways. Also, if your the GM, you can make the game as complicated and layered as you wish.

Me, I prefer the simplicity of just letting people play their factions how they want within the bounds of as few rules as possible.

Duke of Nicosia

perhaps an enlightenment-style salon in which various people discuss politics in a nonbinding atmosphere? it could be hosted by a totally third party person, with irish, english, scottish, welsh, and norwegian aristocrats chatting and perhaps getting into heated debates? haha

it could be a neat way for people who are interested but dont have the time to play (ie, like myself) to join the game

That would be fine. I could start a thread like that if you'd like (or you could ). I'm not sure participation would be very high, but it wouldn't hurt to try it. If it took off it would be interesting. I've noticed at least a few people follow these games anyway.

perhaps an enlightenment-style salon in which various people discuss politics in a nonbinding atmosphere? it could be hosted by a totally third party person, with irish, english, scottish, welsh, and norwegian aristocrats chatting and perhaps getting into heated debates? haha

it could be a neat way for people who are interested but dont have the time to play (ie, like myself) to join the game

I personally see no problem with that as long as it is made clear to all five actual players that they can completely ignore this thread at will. It would be up to the individual players if they wish to be influenced by the talk that goes on in the salon.

That way, it adds flavor, allows people to get involved without committing too much time, and avoids making the salon attendee a "side-seat-player". I don't want to bog down the actual game.

I don't want people sitting on their turns because they are waiting for "salon diplomacy" to happen or are bogged down with requests from people who don't even play the game.

Also, there should be a certain amount of demand for this so we're not doing this just for one or two people. Otherwise it will just die from neglect.

Duke of Nicosia

PK,
    No worries. No matter what there will still be a 48 hour limit for turns, unless a valid excuse is supplied. "I want to see what the rumor-mongers say about Wales' intentions" shall not be considered a valid excuse.
    Last edited by Zim; 12-10-2007 at 02:00.

The idea is that the salon debates will have nothing to do with the actual politics. Anything anyone says is not politically binding, it could just be Norwegians mouthing off at Welsh for whatever reason but that doesn't mean the King of Norway and the King of Wales aren't friends. I'll start it up.

EDIT: It's up. I got the idea cuz in AP Euro this week we're having an Enlightenment Salon in character and we have to portray our particular enlightenment figures. I'm Voltaire! haha
    Last edited by gibsonsg91921; 12-10-2007 at 02:17.

I like the idea of the salon - be interested to see whether you get much takeup...

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast