Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Reuniting the Tribes: A Getai AAR

EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

Default Re: Reuniting the Tribes: A Getai AAR

Historically, the reason why nomads fought at range was due to their emotional detachment from the cold killing. They had no haughty concept of "honor", etc. as their nobles weren't too far above their commoners, as well as that they all lived in the saddle and tent. Their emotional detachment was also why their exterminated many people when they attacked towns, etc.
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

well, the getai arent nomads, at least in this AAR.....
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Celto-Germanic Spearman Member Kuningaz's Avatar

Nice update as always. Btw when I charge an enemy general no matter how heavy MY cavalry is, he ALWAYS dies last!

Keep going

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

Keep it up, hooahguy, this AAR is great! You always combine the right amount of humor and seriousness into each update.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

Normally I prefer more serious AARs. But in this case I have make an exception. It is fun to read, and unique compared to other AARs. Keep it up! I'l be waiting for the next update.
    Last edited by julius_caesar_the_first; 02-10-2008 at 11:46.

[QUOTE=julius_caesar_the_first]Normally I prefer more serious AARs. /QUOTE]
    I have to say that was my first reaction as well, but keep going. You've converted me.
    BTW, I see you're heading the route of horse-archer-heavy army. Certainly a different strategy than mine, but should be interesting to see how it turns out. I'd say let the best man win, but I finished my Getai campaign last week. On to Karthadast!
    “He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city.”-Proverbs 16:32

Read my Aedui AAR-"Across the Waters: A Story of the Migration"
    And the sequel "Sword of Albion"

Chapter 14: The Bosporus Campaign- Part 3, Taking Chersonesos

We scouted out Chersonesos. The garrison was medium sized, not too strong. However, it did have something which we have never encountered before: walls made of stone. The governor was also a Hellene, which made us even more eager to kill him.

After two years of assembling an army, Oroles per Drobeta marches to take Chersonesos and laid siege to it in the winter of 254.

In the spring of 253, we assaulted.

We assaulted on a decent day.

Our Hellenic mercenaries helped us build great siege towers, which we built four. But as we approached the walls, two were burned down.

All the while, enemy archers on the walls pelted us with arrows, which cause 45% of our casualties that day. Our archers fired back in return, of course.

But the other two made it, and soon our men spilled over into the enemy ranks.
    Our Thraikians cut the enemy down mercilessly.

In the meantime, the enemy general ran around, giving useless orders.

Finally, on the right flank, there was only on enemy archer left.

When he was dead, for some reason only a single Thraikian ran to the other side to assist his brothers. The rest worked on the gate so it would be usable.

During this confusion, an enemy unit of horse skirmishers escaped.

But for some reason, they came back.

But two of these horsemen decided to stay back and defend the gate.

The gate was opened, and our men poured in:

As soon as we entered, enemy cavalry attacked.

The situation on the right flank was critical until some hoplites came and took some pressure off of our skirmishers.

When the enemy was routed, our main force charged down the street and made contact with the enemy.

The enemy general was killed during this fight.

The bodies were piled so high around him that we didn't find his body until a few days after the battle.

Finally, the enemy began to flee.

But on the walls, the right side held up for some time, but eventually they were wiped out. for the enemy, the situation became so desperate, some jumped off the walls instead of facing out Thraikian blades.

In the plaza, the enemy was being pushed back.

We sent our Galatians around the last unit which was left.

Soon, the enemy was down to their last few men.

But everything is inevitable, and finally, the last man was killed.

Taking the town cost us not nearly as many as we thought we would lose- taking the town of Naissos cost us almost twice as much.

So there was just one town left in the Bosporus to take, for the town of Tanais, the easternmost Bosporus town, was being besieged by our allies, the Sauromatae, so all that was left was the heavily fortified town of Pantikapaion.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 02-01-2008 at 17:59.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

*Insert HUGE LOL here* Great update
    Charge on to Pantikapaion!

I love the guy complaining about the horse eating his spear...brilliant!

Chapter 15- The Bosporus Campaign- Part 4, Getting ready and a commemoration

As we prepared for taking the last major town in the Bosporus, we did some inquiring, as usual. We found that the garrison of Pantikapaion was immense, over 3,000 strong, and was pretty well led.

The governor was a Hellenic veteran of fighting in southern Hellas, so he had some fighting experience. But we had more. His army was a mixture of Hellenic and Skythian troops, a dangerous combination. Because the garrison is so large, Oroles per Drobeta decided an assault on the city itself would be suicidal. So we would make the enemy come to us.
    We would set up with our phalanxes before them, and they would, hopefully, run into our spears, while our horse archers would pour arrows on them. Thraikians and our elite skirmishers will guard our flanks, while two units of heavy Skythian cavalry would assist by slamming into the enemy flanks, causing much damage among enemy ranks, iff all went well.

But as our Vasil got his things together in preparation of moving out, he was approached by a contingent of large Galatians.
    “We, the leaders of our small unit of Tindanotae, have heard of your noble and heroic exploits, especially in the Bosporus against the Hellenes.”

“Ah yes,” our Vasil commented, “I have heard much of your kind, and of your own exploits in Thraikia and Asia Minor.”

“Maybe we should give you some background of where we come and how we fight. We come from Galatia, where we were oppressed by Hellenes for many years before escaping, where we formed this unit of Tindanotae, where we rove around different lands, killing Hellenes and assisting those who have noble causes in our opinions, which would be you right now. We heard how you planned to assault the largest Hellene town in the Bosporus, so we offer you our services for a small sum.”

Our Vasil thought for a moment before asking, “And how do you fight? Do you fight on horseback, with spears, swords, what?”

“We fight with two weapons. We each carry two javelins, a long sword, and a large shield. But we also take a secret drug that only we and our like take which make us almost impervious to injuries. One who isn’t use to it would die if they took it, but we have the ability to take large doses of it and fight ferociously even after we have taken wounds that would have killed a normal man.”

“Very well, we accept your services. We leave in a few hours time for the march to Pantikapaion.”

“Thank you, noble Vasil. You will never regret that you employed our services!”

With that, the Galatians left, and Oroles began his long march towards Pantikapaion with his bodyguard and a bit over 2,800 men under his command.

It may be worthwhile to note that when this discussion was going on, it was the 20th anniversary that our former leader, Zalmodegikos per Buridava, embarked on the journey to reunite the tribes of Dacia and Thraikia. With his death, came our current leader, Oroles per Drobeta, who has been ruling for 18 years. Zalmodegikos per Buridava ruled for just 2 years before illness struck him down, but his vision left a profound impact on all his sons. He left a vision of a united Getic confederation, where he and those who ruled after him would rule with fairness and equality, with law and with strength, and would leave a lasting impression of Getic power in the world for the generations to come, all things that he envisioned would last for centuries to come.

Over the past 20 years, our confederation has grown immensely! Compare the results yourself- here was our humble beginning, in 272….

Here is 10 years later, before the Bosporus Campaign, in 262…..

Finally, here is where we are now, at 252….

Our borders stretch from Illyria to the Bosporus. Our enemies fear us. Our blades and arrows cut through anything in our path. Our culture leaves great impacts over those we conquer. Indeed, Kallatis used to be a Hellene town of filth, idiocy, and drinking! But we turned it into a Getic town of purity, study and law. The land quakes when we ride, the earth shakes when our soldiers march. Soon, with the help of the gods, we will have united the tribes, destroyed the Makedonians, and conquered the Bosporus and the Hellas!
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Man this is great. Keep it up. I love the diversity of troops in the armies!!

Chapter 16- The Bosporus Campaign: Part 5, The Last City and Betrayal

After two years of marching, for Oroles per Drobeta kept getting stalled with minor things, he finally entered the province of Bosporion Tyrranesis.

And in the year 250, he laid siege to Pantikapaion, the last of the Bosporus cities.

But two years later, they were still waiting the siege out…..

Then, after those two years, in 248, the garrison opened our doors to our victorious army. The garrison of over 3,000 men, through disease and starvation, has slowly been reduced to just over 1,000 men.

The Galatians, furious that they were denied a fight by these cowardly foes, went on a killing spree in the city, and couldn’t be stopped until their anger subsided.

The leader of the Galatians came to us, furious that they had no chance to fight.
    “You promised us blood! And where did it go? We had to get it ourselves from the common person on the streets! We wanted to fight real men, ones who had swords and shields! You lied to us!”

Our Vasil replied calmly, “I know, our men are thirsty for blood as well, and all of us will get our chance to spill Hellenic blood soon- very soon.”

“What do you mean?! There isn’t an enemy around who would dare challenge you!”

“Ah, but there is….. We just got word that those Makedonians have betrayed our agreement by besieging the town of Tylis. By our agreement earlier, (in chapter 9) this is an act of war and we will be leaving very shortly for southern Dacia to get ready, for if they do take the town, we will act with the force necessary, and that will include putting you into some hard combat, which I'm sure all of you are eager for.”

“Oh yes, we are ready! Shall I tell my men to get ready to leave, O mighty Vasil?”

“Yes, indeed- we need to get there as fast as we can. The clouds of war are approaching, and it would be disastrous if we weren’t ready for it.”

With that, our Vasil left with his army for southern Dacia. Would the Makedonians pursue war? Or would they retreat from Tylis and the agreement would be saved? After all, the general leading the Makedonian army on Tylis was a radical young general. Maybe he acted against orders? We would have to see. But in the meantime, we weren’t taking any chances.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I can't believe you actually made an "Agreement Betrayed" announcement! Nice little deatil there.

Excellent AAR. I love the way you roleplay the various things you do (i.e. the recruitment of the Tindanotae)
    (from keravnos, for correctly recognizing the shield design of the Indohellenikoi Eugeneis Hoplitai as a hippocampus)

lol, ya, i just got the "cease-fire announced" banner which i took much earlier on, switched the names around (from Getai-Makedonia to Makedonia-Getai) and somehow got the font to look really near to the one in game....
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Nice updates.

You can't blame the Makedones for taking what is rightfully theirs, though.

but we can! those Galatians will bring destruction on your Makedones heads!
    you've seen their fury.......
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hooahguy
    And in the year 250, he laid siege to Pantikapaion, the last of the Bosporus cities.

Keep it up, hoaahguy, that chapter was hilarious! And finally, it's time to smash the Makedonians into tiny pieces.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

lol, ya, i got that from my friend who is literally living in a virtual world. he spends days on the computer and spends his lunch periods played a different assortment of video games. i just recently converted him to EB, but hes still trying it out..... btw, when you read the knock-knock joke, imagine him saying it in an evil tone.....
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    Nice updates.

You can't blame the Makedones for taking what is rightfully theirs, though.
    Sympathising with Makedonia are we?

I find your humor refreshing hooahguy, keep up the good work.
    It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
    Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-Sir Winston Churchill
    ΔΟΣ ΜΟΙ ΠΑ ΣΤΩ ΚΑΙ ΤΑΝ ΓΑΝ ΚΙΝΑΣΩ--Give me a place to stand and I will move the earth.-Archimedes on his work with levers
    Click here for my Phalanx/Aquilifer mod

Celto-Germanic Spearman Member Kuningaz's Avatar

Haha what a hilarious update
    Keep going

What is there to say besides more lolz?

Great AAR, really funny, keep up the good work. And more soon plz lol
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other b*****d die for his." George S. Patton
    Now if I could only stick to a faction for long enough to be able to win any of the total war games.

well everyone, good news: im getting a new laptop, with 2 gigs of DDR2 Ram, a 2.0 ghz processor, the nvidia Geforce 256 mb 8600 GT, and windows XP too .....

its coming sometime in between the 20th and the 23rd, so after i get it im going to install EB, install the spoils of victory minimod (the only minimod i have installed) copy over the EDU to the new EB file, and copy the savegame for this AAR over to my new laptop, and hope that it work.

if it does work, then you will see incredibly good graphics when i update, but if worse comes to worse, ill keep playing EB on m desktop, which has a better processor but not as good video card, and maybe ill start a lusitannn campaign (w/o an AAR) on the laptop.... to play during school....

btw, how do i get EB into window mode, so i can play in school and quickly minimize it if the teacher comes by?
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

a 2.0 ghz processor
    ummm Core 2 Duo? it's better than whatever you have at moment..

you have no XP so far?

ya, its core 2 duo. my current processor is 2.53, and not 2 core duo, so im not really sure. and btw, i hate vista, its slow and EB works strangly w/ it, so luckily every dell buisness category computer gives you the option of either vista or XP- no extra charge- i also think that if you order XP they give u vista too... im not sure. anyhow, the entire system cost me $5 short of $900..... the insipron, for the same system, would have cost me much mor, at least $200 more. on the other hand, my friend, who is a die-hard mac fan, wanted to me to get a mac, but i said, nah- macs arent good for gaming.....
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Chapter 17- A Sigh of Relief

In the winter of 248, the Makedonians launched an attack on Tylis. It failed, and they were beaten back.
    (Insert picture of Maks beaten back)

Unfortunately, there was a reserve Makedonian army coming to assist him, so it is doubtful the town will last long.

So we sent our diplomat to do two things. First, he journeyed over to the camp of the Makedonian general, Karenos Argeades.

Our diplomat told him how by attacking Tylis, it was breaking our agreement, and it could cause war. Karenos laughed and rudely sent our diplomat packing. As he was leaving, he heard Karenos say to an aide, “Moronic Getai! Don’t they understand that this is all planned?!”
    The aide laughed.
    That Makedonian sure could keep a good secret- our diplomat ran back and told us everything.

Then our diplomat went to the Epeirote king and requested that he helps us in our fight against the Makedonians. He agreed, for the Makedonians were also their enemy for a long time. But, them being Hellenes, we don’t know how long they will commit, and when we are through with the Makedonians, if they will turn on us……

In the meantime, our Vasil was getting old. He could barely ride a horse in battle, and his end was getting closer. It was time to choose an heir.
    Until then, Dizo per Rekidava, the second of Zalmodegikos’s sons was the heir, but Dizo was older than Oroles, and he was on his deathbed as well. So Dizo was unfit. Instead, he chose a new addition to the family, Zyraxes per Dokidava.

The family was in an uproar, especially Koson, Oroles’s firstborn.
    “How could you choose a person who was only in this family for less than two years?!”

“Koson, my son, this is a confederation, not a monarchy. While I may be king, everyone has a chance to become king and everyone has a fair say in leadership. I feel that Zyraxes is the best choice to become our next leader. However, he has yet to prove himself in combat, which is something you are much better at."

Oroles meant every word he said. Indeed, I was there when he said that! he confided to me that he would tell Zyraxes to give command of the second army, which was soon to be raised, to Koson, but also to keep an eye on him, in case he gets any ideas….

We also talked to the leader of Tylis, Virssuccois. He said the Makedonians were in such a rabble when they busted through their walls, it was easy for his men to slaughter them, but still, the Makedonian’s overwhelming numbers wore them down.

“If we are attacked once more, we are finished. But we give you our word; we won't go down without a fight!”

“Don’t you worry, if they do it again, then we will come down upon them like a bat out of hell!”

“Thank you, noble messenger of the Getai, if we pull through this, we can assure you that we will join your confederation!

“Well, we don’t know if we can allow you too…. You see, your town and Serdike are the buffer towns in between the Getai and Makedonian. So, we’ll have to see.”

“Well, in any case, we are in your debt. Farewell!”

So in the spring of 247, our Vasil entered Buridava, where he would stay for the rest of his days, and gave command of the army over to Zyraxes, as all the border cities were fortified and defenses were prepared.

Even though Zyraxes was new to the family, he knew exactly what was going on, and he made camp in a location where he could easily respond to any crisis.
    Everyone knew war was looming.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 02-10-2008 at 22:52.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

LOL once again you deliver my man. I love the Epirus guy talking about using his full stack. Classic.

The Creator of Stories Member Parallel Pain's Avatar

LMAO

Wow no action but so great a chapter. You rule. Lend my some of your sense of humor.

Haha, the humour in this is almost perfect. Not to overdone, and in perfect style, i really like this AAR!
    In the words of Marcvs Avrelivs;
    Live each day as if it were your last

Ο ΠΟΛΕΜΟΣ ΚΑΤΑ ΤΗΣ ΣΕΛΕΥΚΕΙΑΣ - A Makedonike AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=97530

WotD 2D graphic Dude Member Gebeleisis's Avatar

*subscribes to topic*

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast