Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Best Campaign

Default Re: Best Campaign

Thanks!
    The Lord and Master of all Britannia (even though i'm aussie)
    My Favourite Factions are: Britain, Macedon and Egypt. Their might is unmatched.

http://www.thesixtyone.com/Oxymorons/ - my band :D

Deranged rock ape Member Quirinus's Avatar

Just finished an Alemanni campaign on BI, probably going to be the last game I play in a while. =[
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I used two mini-mods for this game: Epistolary Richard's Year Jump and professorspatula's More Hordes. I used the former to skip to the year 409 AD (would have skipped even further, but the year jump is limited by the Slav emergence event). It looked like this to start with:

I started with a non-existent military (a couple of horde units plus remnants of a spear warband) and no income to speak of - recruiting one unit of chosen archers put me in the red. I had no diplomats and no money to recruit them, and the Ostrogothic horde was parked right outside one of my two settlements. So when Augusta Trevororum fell to the Ostrogoths I horded up and headed for Italy.

One of the benefits of the year jump is that you start with a more organic family tree and more characterful family members - ripe for roleplaying. I had wanted to make an AAR out of this, but honestly once I settled in Italy it wasn't particularly difficult - I had a huge cash surplus pretty much from the start (an early trade agreement with the ERE certainly helped), and the cities of Italy could crank out superior troops like chosen axemen with incredible exp. and equipment (silver-chevron chosen axemen with silver equipment to start).

With these 'veteran' units I steamrolled pretty much everywhere - what retarded my development in the fifteen years or so was the arrival of the Franks, who loitered around in Cisalpine and Transalpine Gaul for ages before deciding to attack Massalia. To compound that, the cities of Iberia were pretty much undefended. The heaviest fighting (other than the hordes) was in Germania - from Augusta Trevororum all the way up to Campus Frisii.

Some observations about the situation in Greece/Dacia/Sarmatia. The Huns actually built a fairly stable kingdom with the two Dacian regions and Constantinople, even repelling the Franks at one point. Then the Slavs came appeared and released the Sarmatians from their starting territory, also making the Huns lose their Dacian regions. For some reason Constantinople reverted back to the ERE and horded the Huns, I've seen this happen a few times in other games as well.

The Burgundii died soon after I took control, probably their family died out. Then the Lombardi took over their old lands and became fairly powerful in their own right. The awesome thing about this is that the Lombardi unit roster is almost(?) identical to the Alemanni one, and since I had such a huge cash surplus, I ended up bribing random Lombardi units and taking them back to my lands to free up the chosen axemen for some asskicking. I even bribed Campus Quadi at one point. Campus Marcomanni is next on the agenda, I've had my best diplomat waiting outside it for a few turns, but sadly the faction leader is inside, so I have to wait for him to die.

The Berbers have been my allies since the beginning, their trade helped my coffers immensely during the early years before I built up a decent trade network of my own. They actually conquered all of Africa up to Alexandria, but then stopped there with their armies. Shortly before this Cyrene revolted, and I think Alexandria also revolted and then got conquered by the Sassanids.

The other interesting thing is that I finally witnessed the WRR turning into the WRE after the latter's destruction. I've heard that such a thing happens, but it's the first time I've witnessed something like that in years of playing RTW/BI.

All in all, I highly recommend the YearJump/MoreHordes mini-mod combo, it certainly breathed new life into vanilla BI for me. I'm probably going to try a YearJump-ed WRE next, leading the Roman remnant to revive the Empire certainly sounds fun.
    Last edited by Quirinus; 02-03-2010 at 08:16. Reason: formatting
    WARNING! This baseline signature should never appear on screen!

Took pics from my old Thracian campaign. It's vanilla with an expanded map and personal modifications. I made a migration to the Crimean peninsula right at the start, took a settlement, utterly destroyed it, migrated a couple thousand citizens from Thrace to it, renamed it, and rebuilt it. Pytropolis is now full of ethnic Thracians and is the capital of the greater Thracian empire, which is composed of Thracians and Hellenes, as well as various subservient barbaroi. I enjoy roleplaying, especially with colonization. You'll notice that I settled large Thracian and Hellenic populations in various settlements throughout the empire, in what I like to think as a way to firmly entrench myself in the conquered land.

THE HEARTLAND. I recently put down a major Hellenic revolt in two heartland settlements. Ungrateful Greeks; the Hellenes in Olbia would have revolted too, if they hadn't been suddenly struck down with the plague. It's a mixed blessing, as the Macedonians are invading my south-western borders. Defending the river there is bad enough, but with Olbia full of diseases, the future looks bleak. The recent rebellious attitudes amongst the heartland Hellenes makes me question the loyalty of all Hellenes throughout the empire.

NORTH-WEST TERRITORIES, the southern portion. Though a nearby colony of strong Thracians stand proudly at Russapolis amid the frigid hinterlands, their land is wrecked with indigenous rebellions. The nearby territories which have had the fortune of not being subject to colonizing efforts from the Heartland must instead suffer from Gallic and Germanic incursions, as well as the plague which is spreading throughout the empire. The whole of the western Thracian lands are insecure from both within and without. Not exactly a good place to live at the moment.

NORTH-WEST TERRITORIES, the northern portion. Unlike the Thracians to the south who struggle against both indigenous and foreign enemies merely to survive, the Hellenic colony to the north at Hezbeneia has prospered in relative peace. There have been minor indigenous rebellions in the past, but they were easily put down. The Hellenes have since then focused on their economy through trade with the nearby conquered settlements overland and with barbaroi through the Baltic Sea. Their prosperity, which spreads to the local indigenous peoples, leaves the entire area content.

COLCHIS REGION. Thracian settlers were quick to claim Colchis for themselves upon its bloody conquest. To the south, the people of Pontus war with the Armenians over the land. Though the Thracians and their local subjects are left in peace for now, they maintain a heavy garrison to intimidate any Pontines from replicating in the empire what they did in Armenia. By sea and by land, the Colchis Thracians, settled primarily in and near Commodopolis, retain close ties with the Heartland, and the region is considered an important asset by the Thracian Great King.

NORTHERN TERRITORIES. In the early days, Thracian Crimea was quick to conquer the southern portion of these lands, and have been settled here for a couple generations now. They are, however, unhappy with their lack of recognition as a core region of the empire; their young men have marched and fought together with the Crimean Thracians throughout the empire's vast expanse of land, and have contributed immensely to foreign conquest and colonial gains. The patriots must be appeased soon, lest a civil war break out at the time when the western borders look as if they will crumble from external pressure. The local indigenous cities, though, are well on the way to hellenization, and appear quite content with their place in the empire.

EASTERN FRONTIER. The local subjects on the eastern border stubbornly cling to their ancestral way of life, refusing hellenization. Though they accept Thracian dominion for now, their loyalty would be suspect if the Heartland should be greatly endangered. It is the locals' friendship with the Parthian nomads to the east that prevents any wild excursion from the horse tribes beyond the Thracian border. The Thracian Great King, however, sees the poorly-developed eastern frontier as the gateway to wealth and glory. If the troubles in the west can be overcome, the vast lands to the east lay waiting for the mighty Thracians to fulfill their manifest destiny. It is his dream to unite the long-lost Hellenes in Bactria under the shining banner of the Greater Thracian Empire.

The Thracian Great King, however, lies on his deathbed in Pytropolis. The empire is, in practice, under the leadership of his grandson and heir, Mukazenis Russadir, who is currently raising an elite army in the Heartland to combat the advancing Macedonian and Gallic armies. One day this royal Thracian may inherit the kingship of the Greater Thracian Empire.

And finally, the Thracian garrison at Dacian Crete. The wild Dacians must be kept on a short leash. The garrison commander is no member of the royal family, but simply a warrior-aristocrat. Family members are deliberately few in number. Most commanders are, in actuality, various aristocrats and landowners who have something serious to lose should the empire suffer a setback (hired generals, lol; i like to trim my family tree and keep it small).

Last edited by Megas Methuselah; 02-03-2010 at 23:37.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456