Thread: Mod ideas

Member Member Achilles the last's Avatar

Default Mod ideas

Hello there
    I am making a new mod where you play as a soldier in any faction in third person view with full control over your soldier, you can mount or dismount, kill an enemy and take his weapon or shoot arrows, you start as a mere recruit but over time will become a 5-star general, there is a campaign mode where you can travel between cities like Elder scrolls oblivion and you can make your own character and join a faction like the Epirotes or the Spanish.
    Anyways i am still 3% done with the mod but it is gonna take me a long time to finish it, so please while i am making the mod tell me any other ideas to be in this mod.
    You learn to build high walls from your enemies, not your friends.
    -Byzaxis
    A big army is commanded the same way as a small one, it all matters in the organization.
    -Sun Tzu

Default Re: Mod ideas

I have more Info for my mod, you can have a family and your character ages and dies, but you can take control of the son or more rarely the daughter (most civilizations didn't put emphasis on having a female in male affairs) you can change your clothes and looks, and events happen as they come and go, you also can buy a house, desert your army and defect and your enemy wouldn't know if you are an enemy unless you dress and act like one and events happen around you without you having to be in them for example there can be a revolt, you can be a loyalist or be a rebel, you can even make a rebellion if you preach in the streets and your speech skill is high, this brings another thing, you will have skills and traits that actually show, like if it says ugly then your guy is ugly, if it says deranged then your speech skill is low and nobody listens to you.
    you can increase your skills in numerous ways, if you join the army then you will automatically be trained to army capability, you can read a book to increase your skill and you can practice also.
    You can be a highway man, taking loot from who ever comes in a trade cart, you can be a nutcase running around the town naked and you will be put to jail, and if you commit a lot of crimes then you are wanted but here is a note, you won't be recongnized since most criminal descriptions are poor at the time but if you are infamous and seen by many people then you will be recongnized (especially if it is somebody you know).
    -Byzaxis
    A big army is commanded the same way as a small one, it all matters in the organization.
    -Sun Tzu

Post Re: Mod ideas

Welcome to the .Org Achilles the last

I'm sorry to say that the ideas you have chosen for your mod are not compatible with the R:TW engine. Although it sounds very interesting and inventive, you would have to create a completely new game to be able to implement them.

Sorry

BTW, moved to Mod Discussion
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 01-24-2008 at 09:05.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

i know, i am redesigning the engine all entirely to create one fit with my ideas but it will be compatible with the r:tw engine
    -Byzaxis
    -Sun Tzu

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

Please confirm that by "changing the engine" you do not mean changing the .exe file.

If you read CA's terms and conditions you will find that is illegal, as would using their components with some-one else's engine; which as well as being a very bad thing to do, would be against the rules of this forum to discuss.

You can legally change the other files, and they can change the behaviour and appearance of the game quite a lot (have a look in the Scriptorium here to see which areas can be changed). It is unlikely though that you can get everything you suggested to work that way.
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the:

no not the .exe file, i gave up on that idea of making it like that and i am just going to make the mod of taking control of a soldier on the battlefield from any units in any battle from any factions, you just click on a unit and you click the direct control button and you will control the soldier, just note that you will control him in a fight and a charge, but not while they are just marching
    -Byzaxis
    -Sun Tzu

I admit you got me puzzled as to how you'll do this... Sounds interesting though.

Norman Invasion - The fate of England lies in your hands...

Viking Invasion II - Unite Britain in the best TW campaign ever!

Gods and Fighting Men: Total War - Enter the Mists of Myth in Ancient Ireland

Revolutionary Member The New Che Guevara's Avatar

Lightbulb Re: Mod ideas

I'd like to see a mod that is like Alexander Total War or even Barbarian Invasion, but instead covers world war two or even world war one.

There would be people though that say it is disgraceful no doubt due to the amount of deaths and horrific events, but it would be an excellent campaign idea.

You could play as: (world war two)
    the British starting with the battle of Britain
    The Soviets with the Battle of Moscow or Leningrad, Stalingrad, the kursk or even the start of operation Barbarossa
    The Germans with the attack of france
    The french with the battle of Dunkirk
    The USA from Pearl Harbour
    The Japanese
    The Chinese

ands what if you separated the german territory in africa and had them as a completely different faction? You could do the same with Britain facing the uprisings in Palestine and Iraq and also the battles of alamein.

That might be pretty good.
    The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggle. The workers have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to gain. Workers of the world, UNITE! - Karl Marx, The Communist Manifesto

sure, i will do a second mod for WWII after i am done with this one
    -Byzaxis
    -Sun Tzu

Chief Biscuit Monitor Member professorspatula's Avatar

Can you do a mod after that where you pilot a rocket ship into the sun which creates a big explosion and blinds the enemy units for 6 turns, or is that beyond the capabilities of the RTW engine? I'm not sure, but I think it may be feasible with a bit of scripting.

Another idea is to have a special function on your soldier which morphs him into a harmless looking goat. This goat is then free to move around the battlefield as no-one would suspect a harmless looking animal, and could be used to sneak up upon the enemy general. When the goat is within stroking distance of the general, it morphs back into a soldier who could attempt to assassinate him! You'd then have to wait 2 minutes to morph into a Pigeon before you could make good your escape, meaning you'd have to fight off the general's bodyguards in the meantime! How cool is that? The only problem I could foresee is that if the enemy soldiers are hungry, they might spear the goat and cook him before you could assassinate the general. This is something additional scripting may fix, but it would probably be an uphill battle as hungry soldiers are difficult to tame.

I leave the ideas in your capable hands.
    Improving the TW Series one step at a time:

BI Extra Hordes & Unlocked Factions Mod: Available here.

How about we let him get through with one idea before we ask him to do another. That sounds pretty inclusive, and like a lot of work needs to be done before he starts a WWII mod which is going to require - new - well everything!

The number one thing people have a problem doing is finishing the ideas they start. So why dont we let him finish this idea then when its done let him bring to the table his next inspiration.

Sounds like your taking the whole Spartan Total Warrior idea a couple steps further?

newsflash:

the mod is 12% done, but a lot of kinks need to be fixed so this mod would be bug free
    -Byzaxis
    -Sun Tzu

The Scourge of Rome Member Spartan198's Avatar

This "direct action" mod of yours sounds very intriguing. I'll definitely keep an eye on it.
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.

Death and Glory TW modder Member Flying Pig's Avatar

I can think of how to do your oblivion gates: Put them as resources on the map and note the co-ordinates. Then, put a script command that if a characcter sits on the tile at the end of the turn he gets whisked away to oblivion and vice-versa, and seperate Oblivion and normality with mountains that you re-texture to make them black.
    Death And Glory TW Needs You - Sign Up Now! All it takes is one PM!

Ὦ ξεῖν', ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε
    κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.

Ō zein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti tēide
    keimetha tois keinōn rhēmasi peithomenoi.

Go, thou that passeth, to the Spartans tell
    That as per their orders, here we fell.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Pig
    I can think of how to do your oblivion gates: Put them as resources on the map and note the co-ordinates. Then, put a script command that if a characcter sits on the tile at the end of the turn he gets whisked away to oblivion and vice-versa, and seperate Oblivion and normality with mountains that you re-texture to make them black.

that's almost there and a very good idea, you can definitely get a script to trigger based on whether a character from a certain faction is on a certain coordinate at turn end. The problem is then getting something to happen to him. All the commands that do something to a character seem to need you to know his name, which messes up the process. (if anyone has any ideas on how you can extract the name from script I'd love to know as I'm likely to have related problem in M2 mod soon).
    Download the:

Great news, the mod is about 73% done, I just have to work out the kinks about mounting and dismounting cavalry and elephants action, along with the block from attacks action.
    -Byzaxis
    -Sun Tzu

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

How are you doing this Achilles? Most of the stuff you've described is not possible without editing the exe...

Bassist, God and Modder Member Thor the Bassist's Avatar

Have you implemented any custom areas or settlements - maybe going inside buildings to get weapons?

Building for the Future of METW

In the intrests of a) The collective modding knowledge of the .Org community and b\) The overriding intrests of keeping this forum legal can you please disclose your methods? It's not that I don't trust you, but direct action seems impossible and no scope is, as far as I can see, provided for it and so I am forced to conclude that you are either modding the .exe (illegally) or finding revolutionary material that would be a great asset to the modding world.

Or making it all up.

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

You would've thought that modding the exe and releasing this publication is legal as long as it is kept free of charge... just like if you modded the EDU and re-released it.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Or he is actually modding a totally different game and we nor he didn't realise it.
    Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.

No modding the .exe is not permitted at all. I think that's been pointed out a few times in this thread already. I'm sure he has the message....
    Download the:

So is there no script command like 'getname' to say:

If character endsturn on tile x,y
    and charactertype general
    then getname
    citename 1
    movecharacter "l" c,d

So telling if a character was on x,y and he is a general, then getting his name and calling it 1, then moving him to c,d

how goes the development of mod

The Dark Knight Member wlesmana's Avatar

It's 164% done.

Does anyone actually think this ever existed?

The Scourge of Rome Member Spartan198's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Pig View Post
    Does anyone actually think this ever existed?
    I took him seriously at first, but that changed quite a while ago.
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.