Thread: Arrogance

Default Re: Arrogance

Arrogance = ignorance, EOD.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doc_bean
    Errr..well cynism and sarcasm are actually arrogant forms of humor, since they're about making fun of other people and putting you above them.

Sarcasm seems so awesome when you're a teenager, but after a while you realize how dumb and overused it tends to be. Cynism is also hardly anything to be proud of when you're young (or old for that matter). It implies a rather closed outlook on live.

Maybe you should look at yourself for the answer as to why you are perceived as arrogant. But like I said, the love of sarcasm is nothing strange for a teenager. And most of you are arrogant anyway.
    I'm not arrogant... I know I'm not... and who are you btw to say I am... some doc?... ...

arrogance is made up by society to have something to whine about... end of discussion...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Seriously... it is...

to be honest, I say, just be who you are, that doesn't mean you can't look at yourself and change parts of yourself you don't like, or want to change because people you hold dear are annoyed by. It does mean however, that you shouldn't change yourself just for wanting to be liked, by what you said earlier in this thread I doubt you will.

Also you can be confident without being arrogant, though most definitly there will always be people who will mistake it with arrogance, which usually not a problem at all. Although alot of those people, are acting arrogant as well, by assuming without really knowing you, that you are arrogant and so decide to ignore you or act the same way, making it just worse...
    Last edited by The Stranger; 01-25-2008 at 19:54.

We do not sow.

Arrogance, tricky one. A person (goes without saying, teenager) in my 6th form could be classed as arrogant. generally it is some sort of a swagger and a tendency to a) always be right b) voice oppinions regardless of context/company and c) tilt head back, 45 degree angle and omitt loud choruses of "Ye Ye Ye" whilst vigourously nodding.

I wage war on you Doc_Bean, first you beat me at snake then you hurl a barrage of abuse at teens. I'm sure we outnumber you 'oldies'!!

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval
    What is arrogance? The troubled teenager inside me suddenly found himself told many times that he is arrogant, and that recently, I was told that I had no remorse for my actions.

The common thing that I personally noticed was that arrogance was sent to me only by acquaintances, and just slightly by close friends.

I despise people who are fake, think they are cool when in fact they are actually destroying themselves... The typical cool guy tells me that i'm very arrogant with him.

Hmmm, thoughts?

I feel
    Remember, if the ladies say you're arrogant, it means they like you, so keep doing whatever you're doing. If the guys say you're arrogant, it means they're jealous over your success with the ladies, so keep doing whatever you're doing, unless the guy goes to gym every day and lifts 200 kg in bench press.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

My arrogance comes from my nature of poking at people and especially when people are really dumb. My poking is in the form of sarcasm, which I find it as a perfect way of saying you're stupid without them noticing it. There are some people who you really can't poke at, because they're smart enough to get it, but most of them don't. People say that it's not a wall, it's my mindset that thinks like that, but I do not have the desire to change, because if you are like with the cool guys and stuff, there's no more fun. Cool nowadays means smoking, drinking, massacre the clubs (like one of the guys said in his speech)... I'm not that group.

Sarcasm is an intelligent way of humour, in my opinion. Few people can use sarcasm really well, and around here, we do have some great examples, some using derived forms of sarcasm.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

wow... you just... like... made... the typical arrogant remark... really... what makes you think you are smarter than them, even when people sometimes act dumb, or when they make a naive remark, which is easily translated to dumb, or an ignorant remark (read ignorant as in not knowing, and not as in retarded/extremely dumb) doesn't mean they are dumb. And also even if you are smarter than them its not reason to be mean or pretend to better... simply... because you are not...

just being smarter makes no better human being, we might not be equal but we are equally.

We do not sow.

You don't have to be intelligent to be arrogant though

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

If you were inteligent, you would not be arrogant.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

The lines between confidence/arrogance/cockiness are blurry at best and often change based on the situation. Don't you go to some rich person boarding school, Edyz? You probably are a bit arrogant but than again so are most of the people who are calling you arrogant. Plus, it comes with being a teenager. You're usually either arrogant or have lousy self-esteem. Very few manage to take the middle path between those two.
    Last edited by woad&fangs; 01-26-2008 at 01:24.
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrdun
    You don't have to be intelligent to be arrogant though
    True. Ignorance fuels arrogance.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Quote Originally Posted by Caius
    If you were inteligent, you would not be arrogant.
    False. Intelligence combined with pride also fuels arrogance.

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouzafphaerre
    The fuel price is too high, so I doubt that will happen.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    It's you I love

Global warming notwithstanding.

My arrogance comes from my nature of poking at people and especially when people are really dumb. My poking is in the form of sarcasm, which I find it as a perfect way of saying you're stupid without them noticing it. There are some people who you really can't poke at, because they're smart enough to get it, but most of them don't.
    Honestly, I wouldn't poke fun at anyone in that way who wouldn't get it, it's not a good look

People say that it's not a wall, it's my mindset that thinks like that, but I do not have the desire to change, because if you are like with the cool guys and stuff, there's no more fun. Cool nowadays means smoking, drinking, massacre the clubs (like one of the guys said in his speech)... I'm not that group.
    Which is fine, of course. But just because you think they're a bunch of irritating stuck up self centered immature short sighted idiots, doesn't mean it will do you a lot of good to tell them that

Sarcasm is an intelligent way of humour, in my opinion. Few people can use sarcasm really well, and around here, we do have some great examples, some using derived forms of sarcasm.
    It can be intelligent, sometimes. But the most important thing you need to learn when using sarcasm (and forgive the patronizing tone of this post, by the way ) is exactly how far you can push it with any given person. There's always a line, and you never want to cross it, unless you're looking for a reaction.
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

You've just seen it happen.
    Nihilist turned arrogant.

Identity crysis. Damn, I hate these things. Please read my user title and react accordingly.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

*slap*

I'm not in favor of picking on stupid people usually because I don't think anyone chose to be stupid. That's different from people choosing to do something stupid, but then everybody does that once in a while and is happy when others don't pick on her/him for that so where we end up is don't do to others what you don't want others to do to you.

Yes, there are people more stupid than others but then there are people who try to treat them in a somewhat nice or neutral way and those who want to send them rotten burgers in a box via mail and that's where we arrive at a moral judgement and also the point where some don't want to be with the mean guys because you get the impression they like to poke fun behind anyone's back as long as the respective person won't notice it was them or what they did.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

well... I know a guy who got the choice at birth, brains or a hamburger... He chose the latter... It shows... believe me...

We do not sow.

Quote Originally Posted by sapi
    It can be intelligent, sometimes. But the most important thing you need to learn when using sarcasm (and forgive the patronizing tone of this post, by the way ) is exactly how far you can push it with any given person. There's always a line, and you never want to cross it, unless you're looking for a reaction.
    Being able to be sarcastic about one self is also an easy way to appear less arrogant (not if the sarcasm is used to illustrate ones superiority ).
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Quote Originally Posted by Viking
    Being able to be sarcastic about one self is also an easy way to appear less arrogant (not if the sarcasm is used to illustrate ones superiority ).
    I think you misunderstand the point here. The very purpose is to illustrate ones superiority, without appearing arrogant
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

My definition: People who brag in public about how good they are and how pathetic others are, for whatever nonsense reason.

There's loads of them here at uni... I either ignore them, or tell them they're childish jerks.

As far as I know, you're not like that, in fact, you have nothing to be ashamed about in your charactere. Stay yourself, and especially, don't feel bad about yourself because people criticize you. There will always be such people.
    - Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

I guess I should turn back into myself. I realised that by being so nice to people you get pushed aside, and people tend to think that oh you're nice, but that's it. I tried being very nice to people but unfortunately we kind of live in a world where the strongest survives.

I'll just simply ignore them. Best to do like that, and concentrate on the things that I really like. Screw the rest.

Proud

Been to:

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

I guess I should turn back into myself. I realised that by being so nice to people you get pushed aside, and people tend to think that oh you're nice, but that's it. I tried being very nice to people but unfortunately we kind of live in a world where the strongest survives.
    Blame Darwin. It helps me sleep at night.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Don't kill the messenger
    Under construction...

Quote Originally Posted by Rodion Romanovich
    I think you misunderstand the point here. The very purpose is to illustrate ones superiority, without appearing arrogant

Superiority has many faces...
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

I'll just simply ignore them. Best to do like that, and concentrate on the things that I really like. Screw the rest.
    Just be yourself. Don't sell someone who isn't you. I am Caius, and I act like the real Caius do. You don't have to be false to show yourself, because one day or other, people will discover who is edyzmedieval.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    It's you I love

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South
    Im not arrogant. Im just right

Because you the King of Texas. But so am I, because I am the King of Swissland and the Wolly BHC Emperor!

But yea Arrogance is a bad trait to have. It may make your friends with cool kids, if you act tough and stand up to adults, but won't do you any good in reality.

SFTS for President!
    Under construction...

Clan Silent Assassins Member Faust|'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouzafphaerre
    No, actually all you need is to have the perception of having intelligence, or any other outstanding skill or characteristic.

Quote Originally Posted by Faust|
    No, actually all you need is to have the perception of having intelligence, or any other outstanding skill or characteristic.
    That's true but not exclusive of my point.

Isn't it arrogant to tell someone else they are arrogant?

Well anyways. Don't worry about it. I'm arrogant myself. Except that when I think that I am better at something then someone else.. I usually am... So people don't complain about it.
    "I thought CA was unarmed? Unless he got some samurai swords or something... I only got some rocks and some sticks." Shlin in BR realizing he has no weapons what so ever.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast