Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arrogance

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Arrogance

What is arrogance? The troubled teenager inside me suddenly found himself told many times that he is arrogant, and that recently, I was told that I had no remorse for my actions.

The common thing that I personally noticed was that arrogance was sent to me only by acquaintances, and just slightly by close friends.

I despise people who are fake, think they are cool when in fact they are actually destroying themselves... The typical cool guy tells me that i'm very arrogant with him.

Hmmm, thoughts?

I feel
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Default Re: Arrogance

Arrogance is believing you are always right and everyone else is always wrong. If a person does not listen to other peoples' opinions and dismisses them out-of-hand, then they are arrogant. If a person is not willing to at least try new and different things because they believe their old ways are better, then they are arrogant.

For a teenager, the typical manifestation of arrogance is belittling the advice of adults.

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Arrogance is also believing that you are superior or better than others, for whatever reason.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval
    What is arrogance? The troubled teenager inside me suddenly found himself told many times that he is arrogant, and that recently, I was told that I had no remorse for my actions.

The common thing that I personally noticed was that arrogance was sent to me only by acquaintances, and just slightly by close friends.

I despise people who are fake, think they are cool when in fact they are actually destroying themselves... The typical cool guy tells me that i'm very arrogant with him.

Hmmm, thoughts?

I feel
    Why should I help some mere child from a backwater country? Where I live even a 5 year old knows what arrogance is. If this is a concept you can't understand maybe you should just drop out of school and save your parents the money.

Peasant!

ehem, for example sorry, feel dirty now.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Im not arrogant. Im just right
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

We may not be always right but we're on the right so it's all right. Vote VNF!
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouzafphaerre
    We may not be always right but we're on the right so it's all right. Vote VNF!
    Get out get out get out!

Don't make me get my broom!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    For a teenager, the typical manifestation of arrogance is belittling the advice of adults.
    Ohhhh....

What's arrogance in talking then?

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    Or friends. Especially friends

Quote Originally Posted by edyz
    What's arrogance in talking then?
    In general, just a presumption that you're always right, be it through dismissing the opinions of others out of hand, even (especially?) if they appear flat-out wrong to you. It's the normal teenage opinion of thinking that just because you believe something, you're right
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

Strange that all the explanations are about (thinking) being right. According to a few online dictionaries (and my understanding), it has more to with "proceeding from undue claims or self-importance". Most of the time you can pick out the arrogant people without listening to one word they are saying. It is not about being right, that is in their eyes only a logical consequence of being so important

It's good to actually be right and important like me, because it means I can't be arrogant.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

arrogance = a superiority complex. Somebody who is arrogant is somebody who thinks he is better and more important then others and who shows this in his attitude. Most arrogant people don't realise that they are being arrogant.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Too much pride to acknowledge the fact that your wrong. Pretty much the best way to loose your friends real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

You're a teenager, which means you're probably arrogant. Don't worry to much about it.

You're young, so you probably believe you can take on the world (especially since you're also rich), a lot of people, certainly adults might think you are arrogant since you want to achieve things they never have (or have already achieved, jealousy is a *****). This is not your fault, don't give up your dreams too soon.

You're young, you probably have moral principles you still believe in strongly. Other people might feel that you think you're better than them because you stick to your principles. It actually happens that other people do something they know is wrong, and you don't participate (even without actually judging them),a dn they'll think you're arrogant.

Claims of arrogance often go hand in hand with jealousy. Just remember that you are not actually better than most people. That you certainly don't deserve better than anyone else (for whatever reason). And that pretty much everyone just tries to make the best out of life, so don't be to quick to judge.
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

I am above it

Quote Originally Posted by doc_bean
    You're a teenager
    [...]
    You're young
    [...]
    You're young
    [...]
    Excuses, you should tell a teenager to behave like me for example, not that he can go on with his arrogance. Yes, he is young and that's the best time to learn about humility and that listening to old Husar is important.
    Young people who think they can do what they want are in no way okay or right or anything like that, they can make others feel pretty bad or, like has been said by others who are almost as good as I am, they can lose their friends, so saying that they're young and it's okay is wrong and just shows you haven't reached an acceptable level of wisdom, doc_bean.

Hellpuppy unleashed Member Subedei's Avatar

Very good points mentioned already...I would like to add: Arrogance is often used by people as a mask to hide their real feel/personlity. Dunno, just the impression I have. Sometimes shy persons use it, me thinks, kinda like as a buffer against the world.... .
    “Some may never live, but the crazy never die” (Hunter S. Thompson)

Quote Originally Posted by Husar
    Excuses, you should tell a teenager to behave like me for example, not that he can go on with his arrogance. Yes, he is young and that's the best time to learn about humility and that listening to old Husar is important.
    Young people who think they can do what they want are in no way okay or right or anything like that, they can make others feel pretty bad or, like has been said by others who are almost as good as I am, they can lose their friends, so saying that they're young and it's okay is wrong and just shows you haven't reached an acceptable level of wisdom, doc_bean.
    Well, usually, I feel teenagers should just shut the **** up. They are indeed arrogant and inexperienced, but as long as they don't bother me personally, I support them

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

it ain´t arrogance if it´s true
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

You're a teenager, which means you're probably arrogant. Don't worry to much about it.

You're young, so you probably believe you can take on the world (especially since you're also rich), a lot of people, certainly adults might think you are arrogant since you want to achieve things they never have (or have already achieved, jealousy is a *****). This is not your fault, don't give up your dreams too soon.

You're young, you probably have moral principles you still believe in strongly. Other people might feel that you think you're better than them because you stick to your principles. It actually happens that other people do something they know is wrong, and you don't participate (even without actually judging them),a dn they'll think you're arrogant.

Claims of arrogance often go hand in hand with jealousy. Just remember that you are not actually better than most people. That you certainly don't deserve better than anyone else (for whatever reason). And that pretty much everyone just tries to make the best out of life, so don't be to quick to judge.
    I find that the claims of arrogance come from stupidity and immaturity, like what happened to me last night. In the school, we have a committee, which is a group of 10 guys who are doing different activities for the rest of the school. Lots of people want to get into it, so last night, I just went into a room near me, and started talking to the guys about the election and stuff. And I just said it point blank that I didn't vote for the guy (he was in the room, it was his room shared with other 2 guys). The rest were like what the heck man, I think it's time you leave this room. I left, and later on the guy who candidated told me - man, dont be so arrogant, especially with those guys...

I've had problems with 2 of my teachers, one of them being the class teacher. He called me arrogant because I didn't want to listen; the problem was with the Romanian professor. At that time we didn't have, so I continued insisting that we didn't have and he kept telling me to go to the Languages director, to sort it out.

The claims relating to my arrogance are mostly based on my cynic and sarcastic character over other people.

And this doesn't relate to social class; tbh it has nothing to do with it, especially away from home.

Proud

Been to:

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

I'm not arrogant... I'm God...

no seriously... I don't get the typical teenager obsession with arrogance, I see it esspecially with girls, always when they have a problem with each other, at least one motive is arrogance...

the definition has already been given... I think the best you can do is, keep acting arrogant and ignore them :P

We do not sow.

I find that the claims of arrogance come from stupidity and immaturity,[...]
    How arrogant...

It's hard for me to judge from what you described, but the sentence above and the one I will quote now:
    The claims relating to my arrogance are mostly based on my cynic and sarcastic character over other people.
    lead me to believe that you may indeed come across as arrogant, whether you are or not. First off you say you're cynic and sarcastic over other people. Either that implies you think you're above them or we have a misunderstanding, it would fit with the quote above though which implies that you think those who say you're arrogant are stupid and immature, I can't judge them as I don't know them but maybe they aren't and you're just being arrogant.

And even if all that doesn't apply when you're cynic and sarcastic towards other people you might make the impression that you don't take them seriously, know everything better and deem yourself superior, whether you actually think that or not, they may think you're arrogant.

Think about it, reflect on yourself and don't always look for faults on others first.
    Last edited by Husar; 01-25-2008 at 14:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Subedei
    Very good points mentioned already...I would like to add: Arrogance is often used by people as a mask to hide their real feel/personlity. Dunno, just the impression I have. Sometimes shy persons use it, me thinks, kinda like as a buffer against the world.... .
    Yes, that's very true
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Errr..well cynism and sarcasm are actually arrogant forms of humor, since they're about making fun of other people and putting you above them.

Sarcasm seems so awesome when you're a teenager, but after a while you realize how dumb and overused it tends to be. Cynism is also hardly anything to be proud of when you're young (or old for that matter). It implies a rather closed outlook on live.

Maybe you should look at yourself for the answer as to why you are perceived as arrogant. But like I said, the love of sarcasm is nothing strange for a teenager. And most of you are arrogant anyway.

Errr..well cynism and sarcasm are actually arrogant forms of humor, since they're about making fun of other people and putting you above them.

Sarcasm seems so awesome when you're a teenager, but after a while you realize how dumb and overused it tends to be. Cynism is also hardly anything to be proud of when you're young (or old for that matter). It implies a rather closed outlook on live.

Maybe you should look at yourself for the answer as to why you are perceived as arrogant. But like I said, the love of sarcasm is nothing strange for a teenager. And most of you are arrogant anyway.
    Yep, we are

edyz, if people are calling you arrogant, it's probably not because they're bored and need something to do

Just have a look at yourself, see what you're doing to irritate people, and consider changing it if necessary. It never hurts to be aware of what you're doing in that regard

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

To make a long story short = it's called growing up.

Off course you don't listen when a teacher tells you to do something. Off course you get into trouble with people of your age, especially those of the same sex. Off course you are thinking now: "who does that Andres think he is, lecturing me and belittling this serious and important problem!".

You're a teenager!

Don't worry too much about it. A little identity crisis at your age is perfectly normal. We all know that you have a more then decent set of brains and that you are a nice and friendly guy. You'll be just fine
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edyz
    And I just said it point blank that I didn't vote for the guy
    That's it, mate.

You told the truth, but were blunt, and proud of the bluntness. And it cut off any other conversation.

If it doesn't really bother you, change nothing.

The down-side of being arrogant, is that folks ignore you (unless you're in a position of power over them - then they just hate you).

If you want to see what life is like on the other side of the arrogant fence, try these 2 things:

-ask questions instead of making statements. Pretend to listen for the answer - and ask a follow-up question.

-every time you feel the word "I" coming out of your mouth, choke it back, and find someother way to say what you were going to say. Example: "I hate oranges!" becomes: "Oranges are kind of messy aren't they; how do you keep the juice from running down your arm?".

Try it for a week, and see if things are different.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

I'd say a little bit of arrogance is good, Arrogance isn't far from confidence, from being a confident person whose pleased with life is a short step away from arrogance.

It is only when you allow this arrogance to stop you asking for help or taking it when offered. For example someone who thinks they don't need to listen to instructions from someone experienced assuming they are good enough to do it without help.
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Arrogance often manifests itself by being disparaging of those you disagree with.

Go with Kukri's way, not only will you annoy people less, but if it turns our your source of info isn't infallible, then you'll make less of a fool of yourself. It's a good feeling to bring an arrogant person down a notch or two.

For example, what if you had said to this guy "I can't agree with your policy on x and y" rather than "I didn't vote for you", maybe he'll defend his ideas, and who knows, he might actually have something to tell you you didn't know.

Just assuming that you were right to not vote for him, end of discussion, is what is arrogant in your behavior I think.

EDIT: but LittleGrizzly is also right imo, it's a balancing act
    Last edited by Myrddraal; 01-25-2008 at 15:43.

It is possible confidence is sometimes confused with arrogance.

It seems often it's about attitude and social activities, and sometimes when people are told something they don't like (but it is undeniably true), they quickly resort to calling the person or persons arrogant as it gives them a feeling of safety or comfort (or even superiority(!!!)).

Some people also use it for power and control over others: to accuse one of arrogance is an easy dirty way to attempt to control a person or an activity between the accuser and the person or another and the person, as it as -- after all -- an attack on the man.

There are also people who are consciously/unconsciously "not being arrogant" because they fear to be perceived as arrogant or possibly it is a lack of self-confidence or required ability that makes people take things easy to protect themselves from certain shame or something -- to secure their feeling of comfort.

You could very well turn things around and state that being humble -- the opposite of arrogant -- COULD be a way of masking weakness, inability, one's own nature, etc., and to very well have your selfish agenda or character.

There are people who question the ones they perceive as "arrogant", but there are also people who question the ones who are "humble": both sides have probability for the same purposes in the end; they just seem to be different tools.

I question any man and any woman. I question any human regardless of what they might appear like.
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast