Thread: Sharp things

Nobody Important Member Somebody Else's Avatar

Default Sharp things

Unfortunately I have a tendency to take my aggression out on objects, (used to be people, so my flatmates are lucky) and this time 'round, whilst fuming at the complete lack of any attempt to do any of the housework (to the extent that I am now cleaning up after them) by any of my flatmates, that I was doing some preparation in the kitchen.

End result, one previously beautiful and treasured Sabatier chef's knife now with massive chunks missing from the blade.

My question is, what should I replace it with?

Contemplating just getting the same thing again - it was very handy, but then perhaps a combination of a Santoku style knife and a Chinese cleaver as well. What do those of us here who regularly play about in the kitchen think is the best option?
    Don't have any aspirations - they're doomed to fail.

Rumours...

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Default Re: Sharp things

Mmmm... Chinese cleaver. I saw a great one for $300. Unfortunately, I didn't have $300 to spend on a kitchen knife that day. Also, with two kids who constantly fart around in the kitchen, the only sharp knife we have is a serrated bread knife. All our other knives are just big butter knives for their safety (or at least my peace of mind).

But I'm all for a good Chinese cleaver. Remember: keep them fingertips curled in when cutting!
    Unto each good man a good dog

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Somebody Else
    Unfortunately I have a tendency to take my aggression out on objects, (used to be people, so my flatmates are lucky) and this time 'round, whilst fuming at the complete lack of any attempt to do any of the housework (to the extent that I am now cleaning up after them) by any of my flatmates, that I was doing some preparation in the kitchen.
    You know, funny you should mention that. I was getting so fed up of every inch being taken by filthy washing-up that had been festering for a while now that on monday, to make space, I slung a bunch out of the window onto the grassfield outside. Caused some angry words.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

IMHO there's no reason to spend a lot of money on a knife unless you're going to take good care of it, keep it sharp, and use it often. Otherwise simply pick one that feels right in your hand, doesn't cost much, and could be replaced at the drop of a hat. After all, let's face it, even the cheapest brand still cuts.

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

You could just be like my friend - buy Rambo style knives off the market for 10 quid.

Remarkably durable - we cut down trees and fence posts with it, it was still sharp as hell.

Although there is the slight problem of looking like a complete nutter with one of those things in your kitchen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beirut
    Also, with two kids who constantly fart around in the kitchen, the only sharp knife we have is a serrated bread knife. All our other knives are just big butter knives for their safety (or at least my peace of mind).
    I thought that like axes a blunt knife was more dangerous?

Mind you I have never heard of someone dying from a butter knife... only from the contents spread by it.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Somebody Else
    My question is, what should I replace it with?
    Years of expensive therapy.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Make that extensive therapy.
    Get something like a very sharp cleaver or something that can really cut, like a surgeon's knife. And they're pretty cheap.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir
    Years of expensive therapy.

The jack-of-all-trades:

Actually, just kidding; kukri's are too clumsy for kitchen work (though good for huge butchery jobs).

The Missus got me a pretty 12-item knife set a couple years ago. It looks fine on the kitchen counter, but the truth is: I only ever use the big butcher knife (for 90% of tasks), and the filet knife (for close-up work).

So, if I were in your situation, I might go with a good (cheap) cleaver (as Ramses II CP suggests), and a filet knife.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Best Laugh on the Seven Seas Member Good Ship Chuckle's Avatar
    Aboard me scurvy vessel, giving orders to swashbucklers and landlubbers alike. Yaarg!

I couldn't tell, but were you implying that you chopped up your roommates?
    In which case, I would reccomend getting some roommates with lighter bones.
    :)
    When your mama jokes aren't funny anymore, who ya gonna call?
    Eshmunazar lol

Laughin' out loud since 251 BC.