Thread: Cheese

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Default Cheese

Stemming from the recent debate in the Sandwich Thread, what sorts of cheese do you like?

I prefer Gouda, Monzarella (the real Italian stuff), Cheddar (has to be firm and fairly mild though), and Lappi.

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

Default Re: Cheese

Cheddar, Cheesecurds, Deep Fried Cheesecurds. Yummy
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

Cheddar and Monzerlla... Love them so much.
    "I thought CA was unarmed? Unless he got some samurai swords or something... I only got some rocks and some sticks." Shlin in BR realizing he has no weapons what so ever.

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Cheese is disgusting.

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

I love Cheese. Greatest food ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

How do you eat your cheeses? With bread, plain, with meat? What sorts do you prefer, and from which locations?

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Eski Kaşar from Kars, Tulum from Erzincan, Tekerlek Peyniri from Rize, or at least Trabzon; Minći from Rize or its cousin Lôr from Kars of Erzincan; various sorts from Erzurum, fatty white notwithstanding.

Most of the 2,000 types made within the borders of Turkey (small variations apparently included to increase the number) or their relatives around those virtual borders would do.

I'm not an expert on the second rate kinds, that is what's made in the rest of the world. (When it comes to cuisine I'm the worst chauvinist you'll ever meet; in a broader regional sense, not the pointless national one.)
    Last edited by Mouzafphaerre; 02-03-2008 at 17:30.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Philologist Senior Member ajaxfetish's Avatar

As I mentioned in the sandwich thread,
    Sharp chedder, Swiss, provolone, Gouda, and Munster are among my favorites.
    I enjoy it with bread (grilled cheese, ham and cheese or any sort of deli sandwich, burger, etc.), on potatoes, melted over broccoli, with crackers, on pasta (though usually parmesan for pasta), or alone. Basically, I consider it one of the finest food products ever invented, and though I don't like the smelly or runny stuff, most cheeses are on my yummy list.

Ajax

"I do not yet know how chivalry will fare in these calamitous times of ours." --- Don Quixote
    "I have no words, my voice is in my sword." --- Shakespeare
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Old Amsterdam(or Beemster, way better but less well known) and danish blue for the win

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

Swiss cheese like Jarlsburg (but why do they charge you more for cheese with holes in it? - seems like a con to me)
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the:

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Italian cheese: ricotta, mozzarella, parmigiano (not for sandwiches, but nice in cooking)
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

on bread: Edam, Emmental

on burgers: Cheddar

On cooking: Mozzarella, Parmesan, feta and Tofu
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 02-03-2008 at 17:29.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Norvegia cheese on Wasa Knäckerbröd.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

My all-time favorite is probably super sharp, made in Vermont, Cheddar. Great stuff. It loses some of the bite when melted so you really should have it unheated, and you need to be careful about overpowering the bite of the cheddar with mustards and other sauces so I usually like to use a honey mustard.

Then I like mozzarella, muenster, provolone, Colby, Monterey Jack, feta, and pretty much any not especially "stinky" or blue cheese. They're all good for different things.

Oh and American Cheese, though it has only been pre-melted to "improve" the texture when melted, is the devil. It is not real cheese and should not be consumed in the place of suck noble products as cheddar and colby.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

I with Viking on this one...
    There is nothing like Norvegia. You realise this when you live abroad and can't get it.

Norvegia

Is the best-selling TINE cheese in Norway. It is the "people's favourite" and may be characterised as a semi-hard, matured cheese. Norvegia has relatively few, small, even, round holes. It is pliable and can be cut with a cheese slicer. The product is mild, aromatic and slightly sharp.
    Other Norvegia cheeses include Low-fat Norvegia, Matured Norvegia, Very matured Norvegia, and Extra Matured Norvegia.
    Norvegia is sold in Japan, Germany (Gutgelagert), Canada and Australia.
    Status Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Makanyane
    Swiss cheese like Jarlsburg (but why do they charge you more for cheese with holes in it? - seems like a con to me)
    Is it realy named Jarlsburg in the US?
    The cheese is good on pizza and in salads.. especially the smoked version.
    Status Emeritus

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd Fafnesbane
    Is it realy named Jarlsburg in the US?
    The cheese is good on pizza and in salads.. especially the smoked version.
    oops no that was just a British typo
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the:

(Insert innuendo here) Member Balloon Bomber Champion DemonArchangel's Avatar

Hmm... Uesugi's got it about right in terms of the very sharp cheddar, which is wicked awesome when un-melted. The best melted cheeses are mozzarella and provolone. Monterrey Jack is great too. I really don't like Swiss cheese that much though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    China is not a world power. China is the world, and it's surrounded by a ring of tiny and short-lived civilisations like the Americas, Europeans, Mongols, Moghuls, Indians, Franks, Romans, Japanese, Koreans.

Best Laugh on the Seven Seas Member Good Ship Chuckle's Avatar
    Aboard me scurvy vessel, giving orders to swashbucklers and landlubbers alike. Yaarg!

I prefer swiss, and make sure its very holy.....
    ....mmm...
    sorry, I just drooled on my keyboard.
    When your mama jokes aren't funny anymore, who ya gonna call?
    Eshmunazar lol

Laughin' out loud since 251 BC.

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wonder when Louis is going to post here...
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SwordsMaster
    I wonder when Louis is going to post here...
    He's probably appalled at the idea of having just one favourite cheese. Or ten. Or even a hundred. To get him to focus at all we are going to have to get really specific, eg Stilton vs Roquefort.

@ the norse, what is that brown soft cheese you guys have at breakfast (correction: your hotels have it). I think that could do with being exported a bit. I wouldn't want it every day but it had a certain something.
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    @ the norse, what is that brown soft cheese you guys have at breakfast (correction: your hotels have it). I think that could do with being exported a bit. I wouldn't want it every day but it had a certain something.
    That is our Goat cheese or whey cheese (whey from cow milk).
    They come in many variants, but the popular ones are:

Ekte Geitost made from purely goat products (goat whey, goat cream and goat milk)
    Gudbrandsdalsost made from a mix of goat and cow product (cow milk,whey and cream and goat milk, whey and cream)
    Fløtemysost made from purely cow products (cow whey and cow cream).

Personally I find the goat variants a bit too sharp.
    Fløtemysost is particurlaly good on whole-grain bread or crispbread (the kind Viking mentioned).

About export... I know I could get some in Australia, all though I can't remember wich version.
    I think it had a red wrapper.
    Oh yeah here it is: Ski Queen . I know it was not as strong as Ekte Geitost or Gudbrandsdalsost.

I think you will find a piece of Norwegia and a variant of Brunost (the common nominator for all the goat and whey cheeses) in the refrigerator of every ethnic Norwegian household. We grew up on the stuff and pass it down to our kids.
    My youngest has a taste for prim... a spread version of the Brown cheese and slightly sweeter.
    Last edited by Sigurd; 02-06-2008 at 08:46.
    Status Emeritus