Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mongol Invasion Campaign

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

Default Mongol Invasion Campaign

Hey!

Got Shogun to work again, finally. Sadly, on lower graphics... but it's still the best game ever, so I figured it'd be nice do a campaign story again.

This time, not in 'story-style', but only telling the facts, etc. So, this is about the gameplay.

I always found this campaigns the hardest, probably. Hojo vs. The Mongols. I hope that they are as challenging as I recalled them to be.

Enjoy!

Hi there!

This thread has become quite a mess.
    I will fit the stories into spoilers below.
    Enjoy!

Drisos Hojo Campaign

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Turn #1:

I move the army from Chikugo to Hizen. I also move any armies in 'harbour-regions' to Hizen. There's a full stack there now.

I attack the three rebel regions with all the armies from the Hojo's neighbouring regions. Hopefully I can wipe them out right away.

All armies that weren't in a region with a harbour or a region neighbouring the rebels, are sent westward, to stop the Mongol horde from gaining more territory.

I was in big doubts about my money... finally decided to invest all in mines. Iyo, Aki, Harima, Kai, Shimotsuke and Echigo.
    I don't think I can get them within a few turns, and after that, more of their fleet will arrive... so, a better income will pay off eventually, I think.

Let's take a look at the map, before we make our first stand in Hizen.

Turn #2:

The Mongols invaded Chikugo and Buzen.. I had no units in Buzen, and in Chikugo I retreated.. the numbers were hopeles..
    Kicked their ass in Hizen! Probably one of my most enjoyable battles vs. the AI as well! I had 10 ranged-fire-units, so their first wave took great losses and routed for the most part without a fight. My 2 units of CA chased most of their army off, killing loads of Korean infantry. However, Mongol Light cavalry is too fast.. eventually both units were destroyed and a few of his light cavalry units were still on the field. I had ran out of ammo, and the mongols had a second wave of a few hundred men. Plus, I didn't have anything faster than Yari Ashigaru to catch their light cavalry.
    So, I sent my army into the small forest in the centre of the defender's position. I made sure my yari's faced all sides, so he'd have to charge YS head on in the forest if he wanted to win the battle. After all, his ranged fire didn't have much effect on me, taking cover in the woods. (That's why I went there..)
    After a while of firing, and a few engagements between YS and korean infantry, they gave up and went home.. Killed almost 700, lost almost 200.

The battles against the rebels were much easier and simpler of course. Only in Mutsu they showed some resistance.. had a tough fight in the woods, but with superior numbers it'd be hard to lose.
    Loyalty is low in Mutsu and Dewa, taxes are going to 'very low' temporarily. Money enough anyway (gained 13K from harvest!)

So, troop production started! Mostly archers and yari cavalry. This combination because of their light cavalry. They usually hit and run.. so, with enough archers I'll shoot them down, or with some timing and flanking Yari's defeat them pretty easily. Their korean infantry is very simple to chase off anyway.. the real enemy is their cavalry.
    So, training 6 YC in yamashiro and shinano.. 6 SA in totomi, kai, mimasaka and satsuma. 6 YS in hitachi. 6 Ashigaru Crossbows in Tosa and Owari.

After the defeat in Hizen they don't have that frightning force anymore... and since the best defence is a good offence.. I'm going to attack.
    I think I can defeat a large army of them in Chikugo later.. so let's chase them to there. Attacking Buzen now. Not sure about it, they might move in reinforcements.. but I can always retreat it they grow too many.

Turn #3:

The attack on Buzen was another succes. 960 vs. 750, of which two third koreans, I think. Simple battle, but not great in the result. I engaged a ranged war uphill, yet I had far more archers than the mongols, so I won it anyway. Anything that came near was shot down or routed.. Didn't manage to kill many of their cavalry, yet they didn't kill much either. Killed just over 400, lost just over 200.

Still moving armies to Hizen by port, the army there has grown big. I have enough armies close to attack attack this turn. With some luck I can kick them out before reinforcements arrive. Attacking Chikuezen this turn, with another 960-men army, with mainly archers, all the cav I could find, and a few YS.

Turn #4:

Battle went well. I stayed at my side of the hield, some of my SA even on the high ground... the ranged war went better this time. My archers were never in danger of anything but their ranged fire. When my SA ran out of ammo I chased their leftover away with some cavalry. However, their reinforcements were still there... my cavalry was destroyed when I wasn't paying attention, and I had no ammunition left for my SA. Suprisingly, three units of Ashigaru Crossbowmen held off their reinforcements by ranged fire only... foolish mongols, I think if they had charged instead of fired with their cav... they might have won. Anyway... killed almost 600, lost almost 400.

Well, seems like I exchanged bad news for other bad news. Revolt in Mutsu. And not just a revolt. Seems like a 12-unit stack or so. Not healthy... I have almost nothing for the defence. I thought The loyalty would improve slowly... but it only went down. Even with Very Low taxes and a few hundred men there, they are revolting. :S Well... Mutsu is lost, for now. I'm now moving troops over to the north as soon as possible. Before they conquer useful economical or trooptraining regions.

Attacking Chikugo now. I'm expecting more Mongol Hordes next turn. In Hizen and Nagato I have defensive armies... yet in Chikuezen and Buzen, I have almost nothing. Aw well...

Turn #5:

Ouch. Indeed, reinforcements arrived. Almost full stacks in Hizen and Nagato, a half stack in Buzen, and a small stack in Chikuezen. Of course I have armies in those four regions, but they might not be strong enough to keep the mongols out. If not, I'll have years more of trouble.

First battle: Attacking Chikugo. I have slightly more men. I deploy all archers at the river bank, and send one YS as bait. After a few times of running forward and backward the YS unit, I've shot down most of his infantry. A few more times, and my YS is almost destroyed and routs. Seems like their cavalry weren't going to take the bait, so I move to the other bank. Killed a few of his cavalry units, and the rest decided to flee. Total victory, because they have nowhere to go and will be disbanded. Killer over 700, lost about 350.

Second battle: Defending Buzen. I'm outnumbered. Good chance that Buzen will kill my efforts to kick them out this turn. I deploy deep in a forest almost on the border. To minimum losses by ranged fire, and to be able to flee soon if needed, and because YS defeat their cavalry's easy in the forest.. However, I still didn't stand a chance. Their Cavalry killed only very slowly by their arrows, but there was no way I could come out of the forest and attack them. They'd just hit-and-run me to death.. Eventually some korean infantry showed up, and by fighting them, two of my units almost left the forest. They were shot down and routed. The rest, demotived by ranged fire and seeing their friends rout, soon followed. (h0 mostly.. so it wasn't a surprise.)

Third battle: Defending Hizen. Outnumbered 2 to 3. May be winnable. Once Again I deploy in the forest. Sadly I had to send lots of archers to the attack in Chikugo. Because of that I'm in trouble with the defence against their reinforcements. I deploy my 1 SA unit not too deep in the forest, my ashigaru's and general to the back, (they shoudln't be used in fight too soon) and two YC to the sides at the back of the forest. Finally, one YS unit is deployed in front.. as 'cannon fodder'.
    Ok, gah! Mission totally failed. The enemy appears to have 75% percent korean infantry.. so this won't work. They just walk onto me, I form a line and the two lines engage... my men rout very soon. I was suprised. My honour levels weren't that low.. and I wasn't attacked from the flank or the rear, and I wasn't even outnumbered that badly. Btw, seems like cavalry don't make short work of korean skirmishers... that actually lose, lol. Weird stuff. Ok, major loss. Killed just over 100, lost 300.

My deploy. Using woods for this kind of turtling is something I only recently tried out. Works nice now and then... failed today, too bad. But I still like the idea and will use it now and then.

Fourth battle: Defending Nagato. Glad I have some ranged units there. Full stack vs. full stack. This may be the most important one for today.
    Ha! This went loads better. Deployed on a hill just left to the centre. 7 ranged units in front, YS and YA behind. In an attempt to neutralize their skirmishers on the left flank I rush in some YS and my cavalry units. After a short fight I cause a chain rout on their army.. only their light cavalry continues the ranged war with my archers. With three cavalry units I chase their infantry. Their cavalry doesn't bother helping their routed units, so I kill loads. Some rallied and routed later again, I destroyed 4 units to the last man with that. Their mongol light cavalry routs a while later, my archers were doing better on the hill, of course. Plus, I had better numbers. Pity though that their mongol cavalry routed through my cavalry. I know no way to stop this: they kill loads while routing. I've seen a single mongolian kill 6 of my cavalry in a row. Ridiculous. I guess it isn't possible to mod this 'bug' out? Anyone knows a solution for routing mongolian cav? They're far stronger when routing than they are normal. :S Anyway, killed almost 800, lost almost 200.

Of course, in the North I had to abadon Mutsu. Outnubered almost 5 to 1. My armies in the regions surrounding mutsu aren't half as big as their army, but in a few more turns I'll gather more troops so that it will be nearly impossible for them to attack other regions, and I can start thinking of reconquering Mutsu. Btw, need to keep an eye on Echigo as well... how come the loyalty is so surprisingly low in this campaign? Taxes are still on 75%... :S

Situation in the south doesn't look that bad yet. Armies in Chikuezen, Nagato, Bungo and Chikugo seem like they can make a pretty tough defense now. I think I'll be attacking Buzen again next turn. Hizen will be harder. Their force there is pretty large... Seems like I have enough koku for now... so I build an archery dojo in both Aki and Harima, where I had castles but no troop-training stuff. I'll need more troops on the coastline soon, I'm afraid. Btw, some more good news. My daimyo finally arrived at the front. With him is Takazaki Suenaga. So, two generals that will add +2 honour. This will help, I think.

map:

Turn #6:

Gah! I could have guessed. The mongols attack Chikuezen from both sides. I better should've moved in some more troops from Chikugo. Well, it's not that bad. Numbers are almost 3 to 4. We'll see.
    Once again, I use a forest for my deploy. It's on a hill too, so my position should give an advagtage. I have 2 ranged units, position them left to the forest, guarded by 1 unit of YC. All YS and YA in the forest.
    Again, they have brought a lot of infantry, and few cavalry. My initial ranged fire kills over 100 enemies. Then I have to protect my archers and rush in 2 YS, 2 YA, and my YC. The battles goes well, and I almost get a mass rout... Yet some of them still fought, and of course my h0 YA decided to run away... My YC was chashing routing infantry, but got caught by other infantry. One pleasant surprise though, one unit of YA actually defeated a unit of mongol light cavalry. I was astonished. Mine were h0. They had slight height-advantage, but still... I hadn't except them to defeat and rout mongol light cavalry. I get my two YS back in the forest, and pray that my YC will reorganize. Losses are almost equal now, still a good chance on winning this one.
    Gah, appearantly I shouldn't have said that. Don't know why, but my remaining forces in the forest routed by the sight of their infantry coming. I have no clue why... I must be underestimating the impact on morale of seeing friends routing. Gah! Lost Chikuezen again. Though, kill ratio is ok: killed almost 300, lost almost 200.

Ha, in the north the rebels are trying to expand. They invade Hitachi with 132 men, I have 120. Should be simple. Though important. Hitachi is my of my troop-training regions. If I lose it dealing with the rebels will be lots harder.
    I have 2 units of YS. At long distance I can recognize the enemy units. Ranged only. So again, I take cover deep in a forest.Their ranged fire kills only 20. Then, one unit comes close to the forest. I made a run for it, and caught it. Directly after I went after the other units. They were tired, so I caught them as well, and soon all routed. Killer almost 100, lost almost 50. Most important, I defended Hitachi.

Gah! This loyalty system is getting ridiculous. Echizen is red again. Moving in an army now tough, but might be too late. And worse, even Dewa red. While there was a 200-300 men army there. And remember, taxes are still 75%. I don't understand one bit of this. The way I recall the loyalty values is very different than this. Btw, Sado is yellow. Sado was never of any other clan then mine. And taxes are 75%. Combine those three and you have... something impossible? Really, I don't understand. When and where will these loyalty problems stop? Gah, gah, gah...

Still seems like I have more than enough money. I build 3 more castles. Inaba, Echizen and Dewa.

Oki, back to the south. Mongols have about 3 half stacks in their three regions. Time to attack again. Going for Buzen and Hizen same time now.

Turn #7:

Ok, first is, attack on Buzen. They deployed in the forest, which is on a hill. I take my time and slowly move to their flank. Taking rest now and then to prevent fatigue. Eventually they leave their position to attack me. Their ranged fire is unorganized and weak. And his infantry combes one by one, instead of all at once. I easily defeat them using only 1 YS and 1 YC. However, a really good result is prevented by their cavalry. They charged, routed, routed through my archers and YC. One unit of YC was trying to block them. Lost 20, killed 5, with that. Ridiculous. I'm getting really pissed by the routing mongolian cav... The way they kill is ridiculous. Ah well... still, numersa are ok. Killed over 400, lost almost 100.

They retreat Hizen. That wasn't my plan. Now they have quite a large force in Chikuezen, which may be hard to defeat. I actually took less troops into Hizen because I was afraid of them retreating. So, plan failed.

Going well in the north. My army arrived in Echizen. May be in time to prevent revolts. Dewa is green again, and my forces have grown so much that the rebels can't expand anymore.

Archer dojo's finished in Aki and Harima. I fill up every training region with 6 units again.

Oki, arranged an attack on Chikuezen. Combining troops the best troops from 4 regions into a full stack.

Turn #8:

Lol, weird stuff. The mongols aren't going to defend Chikuezen, - they're attacking! :S

First battle, defending Bungo: Almost equal numbers. I deploy as far to the east as possible, and when battle starts I deploy on the huge hill there. This time the mongols charged right away with their cavalry. But a very units of YS and some cav won easily. Pity tough, again, they routed through my units... Painful. However, what's left of their army is easily shot up and chased down. Simple battle. Killed 350, lost almost 150.

Ok, so I won. Win in Hizen now, and the campaign is probably over. Their leftover forces won't be a problem in attacking Chikuezen, I think. So... this one is important.
    Deploying different than in my past battles in Hizen this time. I choose a hill to the Southeast, which is big enough for my 6 units of SA.
    Gah, plan failed. Simple though. They run forward and engage.. and have more melee manpower then me. After a while of fighting here and there my line breaks and it causes a mass rout. Killed well over 100, lost over 200.

No army to defende Chikuezen, so I conquered it. They only have Hizen now. Not a large army, so I'm going to counterattack right away.

In the north, things are calm. No revolts coming up, building up forces slowly, so Mutsu can be attacked soon.

My three castles were ready. Time for three more archery dojo's.

Turn #9:

Gah! More reinforcements. Izumo, almost full stack. I have almost no troops there, so I'll have to give the region away. Even if I win in Hizen now I'm far from done.
    Ok, the Hizen battle. I almost outnumber them 2 to 1. So, I should win.
    Hmm. I was a bit too hasty on the battle. I knew I was going to win anyway, etc. Wasn't motivated enough to micro-manage. Still an easy win though. Most of my kills weren by arrows. The rest routed. Killed over 400 lost almost 250. Of course, their remaining troops are gone as well. Again I had cavalry routing through my troops.

I start building a yari dojo in hizen now.

In Southern Honshu, there's decent armies in Hoki, Bingo and Iwami already. Expanding from Izumo will be hard. But attack it might be harder. They'll probably have mongolian heavy cavalry and such. But I think neither side winning or losing terrain is good as well. After all, I can expand in income and army size easier, because I own all of japan. Speaking of which... attacking Mutsu again now:

and southern honshu:

hmmm, looking at it again, the army in Hoki seems not that decent after all. aw well... I don't look forward to attacking Izumo anyway. will be nice to defeat their army partially in defending in stead of attacking.

Turn #10:

Oki, conquering Mutsu now. Advantage in numers: 3 to 2. Ideal scenario is causing a mass rout. The less we have to fight, the better, because they have nowhere to run to, anyway.
    I use the classic formation for my army: archers in first line, infantry in second, cavalry on the flanks.
    As expected, the rebels deploy on the big hill close to the edge of the map. I take my time, slowly move to their right flank. If I get on the hill too they won't have the advantage...
    Gah... well, I'm not sure to be happy with the result. Killed over 600, lost almost 350. Didn't mange to cause that mass-rout. :( As planned I positioned at their flank. Of course the reaction was turning towards me and starting ranged fire. Didn't kill many though. I sent my cavalry round their now exposed left flank, which was very succesful. Only engaged two SA, but the main point was that their infantry was wandering around instead of attacking my archers/infantry. I hoped to mass rout them later by a charge from two sides (infantry at the front, cavalry at the back). It worked partially, but a few units put up hell of a resistance, a few YC units got caught in battle with their YS general unit. Though completely surrounded it fought to the death instead of routing.. that has cost me a lot.
    Well, good news, we're back in control of Mutsu. +600 denarii...

Now let's kick some mongols again. :) They didn't attack Hoki, which I expected. Too bad. Well, only thing is do is attack. In my experience I know no remedy for monoglian heavy cavalry. I'm not even expecting to win the upcoming battle, yet I will try to make as many kills as possible. I'll take lots of archers. They've become a sort of insurance for many kills for me lately.

So, invading Izumo now...:

Turn #11:

Looks good. 950 vs. over 600. My army is mainly SA and YC. Good weather, first though is 'go go go', but just as I hit the 'attack' button, something came to mind. Thunderbombers! They probably is/are one ore more units of them in this army. And I recall how dangerous they can be. (Seen them kill others units for 90% with just 1 good volley) Well... I'll just have to make sure they won't be able to get a clean shot...
    I'll keep writing while fighting this battle. Text may seem strange because of that.

Ah! I thought Izumo would be new for me, but I've fought here before, for sure.
    Using classic lineup again. From far distance I count 2 or 3 units of thunderbombers. Scary. See some skirmishers and heavy cavalry too. Did I already mention this was going to be tough? :S
    Gah, well the closer I get the worse it seems. Their infantry has moved to a forest on my right flank, while their cavalry has positioned in the northwest(from my point of view). 6 units of heavy cavalry.(!) I have no clue how to beat those. Well, we'll see.
    Taking long pauses between walks to decrease fatigue. I've moved back to the center and then forward, taking the same hill his cavalry is on. They allow it. I'll keep taking higher ground till they get within firing range.
    Hmm. Appears they also had some korean melee infantry and 1 unit of light cavalry in the woods, near their heavy cavalry. I killed the korean infantry to the last man with my cavalry. Now pushing forward to shoot down their light cavalry..
    Hmm, again. seems like I wasn't paying attention. Another unit appears in to have been hiding in that forest. Thunderbombers. Their light cavalry have back off for now, so I'll start shooting these guys.
    Hmmm, that went fine. Thunderbombers and light cavalry within shooting range at the same time. The cavalry tried a charge. (Fools! With 40 men at my entire army. They rout, and I send my cavalry to finish his thunderbombers. His heavy cav still leaning back, and no sign of the rest of his infantry.
    Oki, went well, thunderbombers got in one half shot, killed 15-20 cavalry, but then they were soon slain to the last man. Taking another rest now, before moving on. Correction, no their skirmishers are approaching. (Why are they sending suicide missions one by one? :S) They'll be short work for a cav charge.
    Indeed, short work. Lost 2, killed all. Next suicide mission is the thunderbombers that initially hade been hiding in the same forest with that skirmishers. This time, lost 0, killed all. Last up is another unit of thunderbombers. If I'm not mistaking I'll only have to deal with their heavy cavalry once I've taken care of that unit.
    This one managed to throw a few bombs. Killed only 4 though. Their unit was of course down to the last man. Now lets rest some more and push forward to get into firing ranged with those heavy cavalry units. I'm not sure to be happy about his position. At the back of the forest in the corner of the map. I'm sending my yari samurai in the forest now. They should get a great advantage from that. Downside is that my archers can't kill many.
    Hmmm. AI is acting overly suicidal this battle. They don't react at all. I have used up any arrow that my archers had brought, killing about half of their cavalry. Still, they don't react. Time for a massive charge.
    Total victory! They may be strong, but not that strong. Trapped in the forest, completely outnumbered, they were actually quite simple to defeat. Of course, if the AI would've handled this battle in a normal way, things would've been different.

Here's the final charge:

So, total victory! Managed to kick out the rebels just in time, hehe. :P

Sasaki Kojiro Hojo Campaign

Drisos you made me reinstall shogun

I'll add my campaign here (expert, normal settings etc). First I have to say I'd forgotten how awesome the ashigaru crossbowman are:

See all the dead bodies

This was defense of Buzen first round. I put my archers, YS, and YA in the woods and the crossbowmen on the hill (as you can see). I'd concentrate all fire on a single unit and rout it, starting a chain rout. The morale truly is the weakness of the mongol troops. Of course since I couldn't chase them down they kept coming back and getting shot again. Good battle.

They invaded Chikugo, but I'd foolishly left only three units there, trying to concentrate some force in Higo. I figured taking it back would be bloody so I sacraficed the three units there. Killed 110 lost 180. I figured I'd be looking at a worse ratio assaulting it.

Defense of Hizen was a fun battle. Ashigaru crossbowmen did well. Like Drisos I concentrated my main force in the woods at the center position. I was foolish with my cavalry archers though, didn't realize I'd need them to chase the enemy down. The enemy rallied at least 8 times and had fresh reinforcements at one point, but they never charged en masse and I was able to focus on individual units and rout them.

The three ronin provinces were taken without consequence. I built a few troops port provinces.

Attack! I think the selected unit ended up being sent to Chikugo instead. Chikugo I thought would be tough but ended up easy. They had 5-6 infantry and 5-6 light cav. I had 5 archers, 5 ys, 1 ya, 1 crossbow, 1 yari cav. I sent the ashi units over as bait, they routed, sent them again. Shot down 1.5 infantry units in the process. Sent my yari cav over and ran them in a big loop around the enemy. They chased with three units. Sent the yari same over and engaged the three remaining infantry. Sent the archers in behind. Yari cav finished their loop, wove through a couple mongol units and slammed into the back of the enemy line. Rout.

Second defense of Hizen. Enemy engaged in archery war. Enemy lost badly. This time used CA to chase effectively. My general was rank 2 now which made it easy.

Assault on Chikuzen. Outnumbered them three to one. Easy victory.

This scared me. Thought that reinforcements were on there way. But I got the victory screen next turn.

Drisos Mongol Campaign

Last edited by Drisos; 12-10-2008 at 16:01.
    - Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

Default Re: Mongol Invasion Campaign

Turn #1:

I move the army from Chikugo to Hizen. I also move any armies in 'harbour-regions' to Hizen. There's a full stack there now.

I attack the three rebel regions with all the armies from the Hojo's neighbouring regions. Hopefully I can wipe them out right away.

All armies that weren't in a region with a harbour or a region neighbouring the rebels, are sent westward, to stop the Mongol horde from gaining more territory.

I was in big doubts about my money... finally decided to invest all in mines. Iyo, Aki, Harima, Kai, Shimotsuke and Echigo.
    I don't think I can get them within a few turns, and after that, more of their fleet will arrive... so, a better income will pay off eventually, I think.

Let's take a look at the map, before we make our first stand in Hizen.

Turn #2:

The Mongols invaded Chikugo and Buzen.. I had no units in Buzen, and in Chikugo I retreated.. the numbers were hopeles..
    Kicked their ass in Hizen! Probably one of my most enjoyable battles vs. the AI as well! I had 10 ranged-fire-units, so their first wave took great losses and routed for the most part without a fight. My 2 units of CA chased most of their army off, killing loads of Korean infantry. However, Mongol Light cavalry is too fast.. eventually both units were destroyed and a few of his light cavalry units were still on the field. I had ran out of ammo, and the mongols had a second wave of a few hundred men. Plus, I didn't have anything faster than Yari Ashigaru to catch their light cavalry.
    So, I sent my army into the small forest in the centre of the defender's position. I made sure my yari's faced all sides, so he'd have to charge YS head on in the forest if he wanted to win the battle. After all, his ranged fire didn't have much effect on me, taking cover in the woods. (That's why I went there..)
    After a while of firing, and a few engagements between YS and korean infantry, they gave up and went home.. Killed almost 700, lost almost 200.

The battles against the rebels were much easier and simpler of course. Only in Mutsu they showed some resistance.. had a tough fight in the woods, but with superior numbers it'd be hard to lose.
    Loyalty is low in Mutsu and Dewa, taxes are going to 'very low' temporarily. Money enough anyway (gained 13K from harvest!)

So, troop production started! Mostly archers and yari cavalry. This combination because of their light cavalry. They usually hit and run.. so, with enough archers I'll shoot them down, or with some timing and flanking Yari's defeat them pretty easily. Their korean infantry is very simple to chase off anyway.. the real enemy is their cavalry.
    So, training 6 YC in yamashiro and shinano.. 6 SA in totomi, kai, mimasaka and satsuma. 6 YS in hitachi. 6 Ashigaru Crossbows in Tosa and Owari.

After the defeat in Hizen they don't have that frightning force anymore... and since the best defence is a good offence.. I'm going to attack.
    I think I can defeat a large army of them in Chikugo later.. so let's chase them to there. Attacking Buzen now. Not sure about it, they might move in reinforcements.. but I can always retreat it they grow too many.

Last edited by Drisos; 12-10-2008 at 14:40.

Turn #3:

The attack on Buzen was another succes. 960 vs. 750, of which two third koreans, I think. Simple battle, but not great in the result. I engaged a ranged war uphill, yet I had far more archers than the mongols, so I won it anyway. Anything that came near was shot down or routed.. Didn't manage to kill many of their cavalry, yet they didn't kill much either. Killed just over 400, lost just over 200.

Still moving armies to Hizen by port, the army there has grown big. I have enough armies close to attack attack this turn. With some luck I can kick them out before reinforcements arrive. Attacking Chikuezen this turn, with another 960-men army, with mainly archers, all the cav I could find, and a few YS.

Oh dear. Seems like I forgot to save my game yesterday. I'm back at Turn 4... Annoying. But good news is, I might actually win in Chikuezen this time! I'll add the old version of Turn4 in a spoiler, btw.

Turn #4:

Indeed, I did better in battle this time. I stayed at my side of the hield, some of my SA even on the high ground... the ranged war went better this time. My archers were never in danger of anything but their ranged fire. When my SA ran out of ammo I chased their leftover away with some cavalry. However, their reinforcements were still there... my cavalry was destroyed when I wasn't paying attention, and I had no ammunition left for my SA. Suprisingly, three units of Ashigaru Crossbowmen held off their reinforcements by ranged fire only... foolish mongols, I think if they had charged instead of fired with their cav... they might have won. Anyway... killed almost 600, lost almost 400.

Well, seems like I exchanged bad news for other bad news. Revolt in Mutsu. And not just a revolt. Seems like a 12-unit stack or so. Not healthy... I have almost nothing for the defence. I thought The loyalty would improve slowly... but it only went down. Even with Very Low taxes and a few hundred men there, they are revolting. :S Well... Mutsu is lost, for now. I'm now moving troops over to the north as soon as possible. Before they conquer useful economical or trooptraining regions.

Attacking Chikugo now. I'm expecting more Mongol Hordes next turn. In Hizen and Nagato I have defensive armies... yet in Chikuezen and Buzen, I have almost nothing. Aw well...

Turn #4:

Gah! I actually lost in Chikuezen. (!) The ranged war was going fine.. yet, on the right flank his korean inf refused to rout, so they engaged. I used 1 YS, 1 YC and 1 SA against 2 units of Korean Spearmen.. and they actually won.. probably by the backup of their cavalry.. Just before my unit routed, I sent my YS, bad timing, too late to help, and they routed at the sight of their friends routing.. it seems. With no Yari's left, they actually did what's best.. charge with all cav at my archers.. easy pray. I routed a few of them and chased some inf down with a unit of cav that didn't engage, but the battles was over. Killed almost 300, but lost over 700. Painful!

But... good news, their numbers are still decreasing. I'm attacking Chikuezen again! Attacking Chikugo the same time, this time. I'm afraid though that their reinforcements might show up next turn.. we'll see. I left an army in Nagato to defend if necessary..

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Nice, Drisos! I wish you luck in your pending battles.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Great Drisos. Looking forward to reading about your exploits...

May I have some more please?
    This space intentionally left blank

Sorry, I'm back at my parents home now. I'll probably finish the campaign monday or tuesday.

Sorry for taking so long. I had to find a decent amount of time to play all those battles. Nice turn though. I can't finish the campaign tonight.. but I'll have some more time this week. Ah well, a campaign lasting longer then 5 turns may be more intresting anyway.

Turn #5:

Ouch. Indeed, reinforcements arrived. Almost full stacks in Hizen and Nagato, a half stack in Buzen, and a small stack in Chikuezen. Of course I have armies in those four regions, but they might not be strong enough to keep the mongols out. If not, I'll have years more of trouble.

First battle: Attacking Chikugo. I have slightly more men. I deploy all archers at the river bank, and send one YS as bait. After a few times of running forward and backward the YS unit, I've shot down most of his infantry. A few more times, and my YS is almost destroyed and routs. Seems like their cavalry weren't going to take the bait, so I move to the other bank. Killed a few of his cavalry units, and the rest decided to flee. Total victory, because they have nowhere to go and will be disbanded. Killer over 700, lost about 350.

Second battle: Defending Buzen. I'm outnumbered. Good chance that Buzen will kill my efforts to kick them out this turn. I deploy deep in a forest almost on the border. To minimum losses by ranged fire, and to be able to flee soon if needed, and because YS defeat their cavalry's easy in the forest.. However, I still didn't stand a chance. Their Cavalry killed only very slowly by their arrows, but there was no way I could come out of the forest and attack them. They'd just hit-and-run me to death.. Eventually some korean infantry showed up, and by fighting them, two of my units almost left the forest. They were shot down and routed. The rest, demotived by ranged fire and seeing their friends rout, soon followed. (h0 mostly.. so it wasn't a surprise.)

Third battle: Defending Hizen. Outnumbered 2 to 3. May be winnable. Once Again I deploy in the forest. Sadly I had to send lots of archers to the attack in Chikugo. Because of that I'm in trouble with the defence against their reinforcements. I deploy my 1 SA unit not too deep in the forest, my ashigaru's and general to the back, (they shoudln't be used in fight too soon) and two YC to the sides at the back of the forest. Finally, one YS unit is deployed in front.. as 'cannon fodder'.
    Ok, gah! Mission totally failed. The enemy appears to have 75% percent korean infantry.. so this won't work. They just walk onto me, I form a line and the two lines engage... my men rout very soon. I was suprised. My honour levels weren't that low.. and I wasn't attacked from the flank or the rear, and I wasn't even outnumbered that badly. Btw, seems like cavalry don't make short work of korean skirmishers... that actually lose, lol. Weird stuff. Ok, major loss. Killed just over 100, lost 300.

My deploy. Using woods for this kind of turtling is something I only recently tried out. Works nice now and then... failed today, too bad. But I still like the idea and will use it now and then.

Fourth battle: Defending Nagato. Glad I have some ranged units there. Full stack vs. full stack. This may be the most important one for today.
    Ha! This went loads better. Deployed on a hill just left to the centre. 7 ranged units in front, YS and YA behind. In an attempt to neutralize their skirmishers on the left flank I rush in some YS and my cavalry units. After a short fight I cause a chain rout on their army.. only their light cavalry continues the ranged war with my archers. With three cavalry units I chase their infantry. Their cavalry doesn't bother helping their routed units, so I kill loads. Some rallied and routed later again, I destroyed 4 units to the last man with that. Their mongol light cavalry routs a while later, my archers were doing better on the hill, of course. Plus, I had better numbers. Pity though that their mongol cavalry routed through my cavalry. I know no way to stop this: they kill loads while routing. I've seen a single mongolian kill 6 of my cavalry in a row. Ridiculous. I guess it isn't possible to mod this 'bug' out? Anyone knows a solution for routing mongolian cav? They're far stronger when routing than they are normal. :S Anyway, killed almost 800, lost almost 200.

Of course, in the North I had to abadon Mutsu. Outnubered almost 5 to 1. My armies in the regions surrounding mutsu aren't half as big as their army, but in a few more turns I'll gather more troops so that it will be nearly impossible for them to attack other regions, and I can start thinking of reconquering Mutsu. Btw, need to keep an eye on Echigo as well... how come the loyalty is so surprisingly low in this campaign? Taxes are still on 75%... :S

Situation in the south doesn't look that bad yet. Armies in Chikuezen, Nagato, Bungo and Chikugo seem like they can make a pretty tough defense now. I think I'll be attacking Buzen again next turn. Hizen will be harder. Their force there is pretty large... Seems like I have enough koku for now... so I build an archery dojo in both Aki and Harima, where I had castles but no troop-training stuff. I'll need more troops on the coastline soon, I'm afraid. Btw, some more good news. My daimyo finally arrived at the front. With him is Takazaki Suenaga. So, two generals that will add +2 honour. This will help, I think.

map:
    Last edited by Drisos; 12-10-2008 at 14:42.

Uff da! A couple tough losses there, especially in Hizen. At least things went well in Chikugo and Nagato, though.

Losing Mutsu definitely stings! Here's hoping you can retake it before long.

And a Dutch copy of the game? Never seen that before!

Anyway, good luck fighting those Mongols back to the mainland, Drisos!
    The purpose of a fish trap is to catch fish, and when the fish are caught, the trap is forgotten. The purpose of a rabbit snare is to catch rabbits. When the rabbits are caught, the snare is forgotten. The purpose of words is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the words are forgotten. Where can I find a man who has forgotten words? He is the one I would like to talk to.

Turn #6:

Gah! I could have guessed. The mongols attack Chikuezen from both sides. I better should've moved in some more troops from Chikugo. Well, it's not that bad. Numbers are almost 3 to 4. We'll see.
    Once again, I use a forest for my deploy. It's on a hill too, so my position should give an advagtage. I have 2 ranged units, position them left to the forest, guarded by 1 unit of YC. All YS and YA in the forest.
    Again, they have brought a lot of infantry, and few cavalry. My initial ranged fire kills over 100 enemies. Then I have to protect my archers and rush in 2 YS, 2 YA, and my YC. The battles goes well, and I almost get a mass rout... Yet some of them still fought, and of course my h0 YA decided to run away... My YC was chashing routing infantry, but got caught by other infantry. One pleasant surprise though, one unit of YA actually defeated a unit of mongol light cavalry. I was astonished. Mine were h0. They had slight height-advantage, but still... I hadn't except them to defeat and rout mongol light cavalry. I get my two YS back in the forest, and pray that my YC will reorganize. Losses are almost equal now, still a good chance on winning this one.
    Gah, appearantly I shouldn't have said that. Don't know why, but my remaining forces in the forest routed by the sight of their infantry coming. I have no clue why... I must be underestimating the impact on morale of seeing friends routing. Gah! Lost Chikuezen again. Though, kill ratio is ok: killed almost 300, lost almost 200.

Ha, in the north the rebels are trying to expand. They invade Hitachi with 132 men, I have 120. Should be simple. Though important. Hitachi is my of my troop-training regions. If I lose it dealing with the rebels will be lots harder.
    I have 2 units of YS. At long distance I can recognize the enemy units. Ranged only. So again, I take cover deep in a forest.Their ranged fire kills only 20. Then, one unit comes close to the forest. I made a run for it, and caught it. Directly after I went after the other units. They were tired, so I caught them as well, and soon all routed. Killer almost 100, lost almost 50. Most important, I defended Hitachi.

Gah! This loyalty system is getting ridiculous. Echizen is red again. Moving in an army now tough, but might be too late. And worse, even Dewa red. While there was a 200-300 men army there. And remember, taxes are still 75%. I don't understand one bit of this. The way I recall the loyalty values is very different than this. Btw, Sado is yellow. Sado was never of any other clan then mine. And taxes are 75%. Combine those three and you have... something impossible? Really, I don't understand. When and where will these loyalty problems stop? Gah, gah, gah...

Still seems like I have more than enough money. I build 3 more castles. Inaba, Echizen and Dewa.

Oki, back to the south. Mongols have about 3 half stacks in their three regions. Time to attack again. Going for Buzen and Hizen same time now.

Turn #7:

Ok, first is, attack on Buzen. They deployed in the forest, which is on a hill. I take my time and slowly move to their flank. Taking rest now and then to prevent fatigue. Eventually they leave their position to attack me. Their ranged fire is unorganized and weak. And his infantry combes one by one, instead of all at once. I easily defeat them using only 1 YS and 1 YC. However, a really good result is prevented by their cavalry. They charged, routed, routed through my archers and YC. One unit of YC was trying to block them. Lost 20, killed 5, with that. Ridiculous. I'm getting really pissed by the routing mongolian cav... The way they kill is ridiculous. Ah well... still, numersa are ok. Killed over 400, lost almost 100.

They retreat Hizen. That wasn't my plan. Now they have quite a large force in Chikuezen, which may be hard to defeat. I actually took less troops into Hizen because I was afraid of them retreating. So, plan failed.

Going well in the north. My army arrived in Echizen. May be in time to prevent revolts. Dewa is green again, and my forces have grown so much that the rebels can't expand anymore.

Archer dojo's finished in Aki and Harima. I fill up every training region with 6 units again.

Oki, arranged an attack on Chikuezen. Combining troops the best troops from 4 regions into a full stack.

Turn #8:

Lol, weird stuff. The mongols aren't going to defend Chikuezen, - they're attacking! :S

First battle, defending Bungo: Almost equal numbers. I deploy as far to the east as possible, and when battle starts I deploy on the huge hill there. This time the mongols charged right away with their cavalry. But a very units of YS and some cav won easily. Pity tough, again, they routed through my units... Painful. However, what's left of their army is easily shot up and chased down. Simple battle. Killed 350, lost almost 150.

Ok, so I won. Win in Hizen now, and the campaign is probably over. Their leftover forces won't be a problem in attacking Chikuezen, I think. So... this one is important.
    Deploying different than in my past battles in Hizen this time. I choose a hill to the Southeast, which is big enough for my 6 units of SA.
    Gah, plan failed. Simple though. They run forward and engage.. and have more melee manpower then me. After a while of fighting here and there my line breaks and it causes a mass rout. Killed well over 100, lost over 200.

No army to defende Chikuezen, so I conquered it. They only have Hizen now. Not a large army, so I'm going to counterattack right away.

In the north, things are calm. No revolts coming up, building up forces slowly, so Mutsu can be attacked soon.

My three castles were ready. Time for three more archery dojo's.

Last edited by Drisos; 12-10-2008 at 14:43.

Turn #9:

Gah! More reinforcements. Izumo, almost full stack. I have almost no troops there, so I'll have to give the region away. Even if I win in Hizen now I'm far from done.
    Ok, the Hizen battle. I almost outnumber them 2 to 1. So, I should win.
    Hmm. I was a bit too hasty on the battle. I knew I was going to win anyway, etc. Wasn't motivated enough to micro-manage. Still an easy win though. Most of my kills weren by arrows. The rest routed. Killed over 400 lost almost 250. Of course, their remaining troops are gone as well. Again I had cavalry routing through my troops.

I start building a yari dojo in hizen now.

In Southern Honshu, there's decent armies in Hoki, Bingo and Iwami already. Expanding from Izumo will be hard. But attack it might be harder. They'll probably have mongolian heavy cavalry and such. But I think neither side winning or losing terrain is good as well. After all, I can expand in income and army size easier, because I own all of japan. Speaking of which... attacking Mutsu again now:

and southern honshu:

hmmm, looking at it again, the army in Hoki seems not that decent after all. aw well... I don't look forward to attacking Izumo anyway. will be nice to defeat their army partially in defending in stead of attacking.
    Last edited by Drisos; 03-06-2008 at 09:14.

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Hehe, I was waiting to see what would happen when they landed on Honshu. Iirc, there are Heavy Mongol cav in that wave, and henceforth .... Good luck! I'm enjoying reading about your campaign.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

You are doing a great job of keeping the Mongols off balance Drisos.

Handler of candles Member Xehh II's Avatar

Awesome
    A ha ha! Rainbows and unicorns! Rainbows and unicorns!

Excellent

Thanks for all support/compliments!!

Here's more

Turn #10:

Oki, conquering Mutsu now. Advantage in numers: 3 to 2. Ideal scenario is causing a mass rout. The less we have to fight, the better, because they have nowhere to run to, anyway.
    I use the classic formation for my army: archers in first line, infantry in second, cavalry on the flanks.
    As expected, the rebels deploy on the big hill close to the edge of the map. I take my time, slowly move to their right flank. If I get on the hill too they won't have the advantage...
    Gah... well, I'm not sure to be happy with the result. Killed over 600, lost almost 350. Didn't mange to cause that mass-rout. :( As planned I positioned at their flank. Of course the reaction was turning towards me and starting ranged fire. Didn't kill many though. I sent my cavalry round their now exposed left flank, which was very succesful. Only engaged two SA, but the main point was that their infantry was wandering around instead of attacking my archers/infantry. I hoped to mass rout them later by a charge from two sides (infantry at the front, cavalry at the back). It worked partially, but a few units put up hell of a resistance, a few YC units got caught in battle with their YS general unit. Though completely surrounded it fought to the death instead of routing.. that has cost me a lot.
    Well, good news, we're back in control of Mutsu. +600 denarii...

Now let's kick some mongols again. :) They didn't attack Hoki, which I expected. Too bad. Well, only thing is do is attack. In my experience I know no remedy for monoglian heavy cavalry. I'm not even expecting to win the upcoming battle, yet I will try to make as many kills as possible. I'll take lots of archers. They've become a sort of insurance for many kills for me lately.

So, invading Izumo now...:

Next one will be tough...

Turn #11:

Looks good. 950 vs. over 600. My army is mainly SA and YC. Good weather, first though is 'go go go', but just as I hit the 'attack' button, something came to mind. Thunderbombers! They probably is/are one ore more units of them in this army. And I recall how dangerous they can be. (Seen them kill others units for 90% with just 1 good volley) Well... I'll just have to make sure they won't be able to get a clean shot...
    I'll keep writing while fighting this battle. Text may seem strange because of that.

Ah! I thought Izumo would be new for me, but I've fought here before, for sure.
    Using classic lineup again. From far distance I count 2 or 3 units of thunderbombers. Scary. See some skirmishers and heavy cavalry too. Did I already mention this was going to be tough? :S
    Gah, well the closer I get the worse it seems. Their infantry has moved to a forest on my right flank, while their cavalry has positioned in the northwest(from my point of view). 6 units of heavy cavalry.(!) I have no clue how to beat those. Well, we'll see.
    Taking long pauses between walks to decrease fatigue. I've moved back to the center and then forward, taking the same hill his cavalry is on. They allow it. I'll keep taking higher ground till they get within firing range.
    Hmm. Appears they also had some korean melee infantry and 1 unit of light cavalry in the woods, near their heavy cavalry. I killed the korean infantry to the last man with my cavalry. Now pushing forward to shoot down their light cavalry..
    Hmm, again. seems like I wasn't paying attention. Another unit appears in to have been hiding in that forest. Thunderbombers. Their light cavalry have back off for now, so I'll start shooting these guys.
    Hmmm, that went fine. Thunderbombers and light cavalry within shooting range at the same time. The cavalry tried a charge. (Fools! With 40 men at my entire army. They rout, and I send my cavalry to finish his thunderbombers. His heavy cav still leaning back, and no sign of the rest of his infantry.
    Oki, went well, thunderbombers got in one half shot, killed 15-20 cavalry, but then they were soon slain to the last man. Taking another rest now, before moving on. Correction, no their skirmishers are approaching. (Why are they sending suicide missions one by one? :S) They'll be short work for a cav charge.
    Indeed, short work. Lost 2, killed all. Next suicide mission is the thunderbombers that initially hade been hiding in the same forest with that skirmishers. This time, lost 0, killed all. Last up is another unit of thunderbombers. If I'm not mistaking I'll only have to deal with their heavy cavalry once I've taken care of that unit.
    This one managed to throw a few bombs. Killed only 4 though. Their unit was of course down to the last man. Now lets rest some more and push forward to get into firing ranged with those heavy cavalry units. I'm not sure to be happy about his position. At the back of the forest in the corner of the map. I'm sending my yari samurai in the forest now. They should get a great advantage from that. Downside is that my archers can't kill many.
    Hmmm. AI is acting overly suicidal this battle. They don't react at all. I have used up any arrow that my archers had brought, killing about half of their cavalry. Still, they don't react. Time for a massive charge.
    Total victory! They may be strong, but not that strong. Trapped in the forest, completely outnumbered, they were actually quite simple to defeat. Of course, if the AI would've handled this battle in a normal way, things would've been different.

Here's the final charge:

So, total victory! Managed to kick out the rebels just in time, hehe. :P

I don't recall winning this one on expert before. In fact, I do recall giving up on beating the mongols several times, so I'm happy that I made it this time.

Any comments/tips/idea's/strategies/whatever?

Hmmm, hard choice for my next campaign. I could try as the mongols. But I don't like the idea of Japan losing to Mongolia because of me. Hmmm, back to Sengoku Jidai, then.

Victory in under 3 years. Impressive Drisos. I don't recall if I ever played MI as the Hojo. You played quite aggressively which is the way to go. I don't know if I could have played that aggressively though. I think I'd be more defensive being somewhat intimidated by the Mongol cavalry.

Good game! Thanks for posting it.

Indeed. Those were some impressive victories, Drisos. Well done!

Amazing..and on expert level...well done Drisos.

You should do one from the mongol side as well, that would be sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Xehh II
    You should do one from the mongol side as well, that would be sweet.
    Gah! Playing as the Mongols is enough to tax one's sanity. I gave up on them after my first few attempts.

Quote Originally Posted by Martok
    Gah! Playing as the Mongols is enough to tax one's sanity. I gave up on them after my first few attempts.
    I did it on normal, of course I'm not a great cavalry commander so I autoed most of my battles.

Thumbs up Re: Mongol Invasion Campaign

Nice to see there are people whom still enjoy playing this masterpiece

Thanx for posting it Drisos.
    "One who knows the enemy and knows himself will not be in danger in a hundred battles.
    One who does not know the enemy but knows himself will sometimes win, sometimes lose.
    One who does not know the enemy and does not know himself will be in danger in every battle."

Congratulations, Drisos! Was fun reading it!
    The purpose of a fish trap is to catch fish, and when the fish are caught, the trap is forgotten. The purpose of a rabbit snare is to catch rabbits. When the rabbits are caught, the snare is forgotten. The purpose of words is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the words are forgotten. Where can I find a man who has forgotten words? He is the one I would like to talk to.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast