With the removal of global food supply, what buildings are people specializing in and prioritizing to build an economy? I'm going to just make a bullet list of my observations and thoughts.

1. Trading ports are awesome. 700 wealth + other bonuses is worth it for the price.
2. Farms are better than at first glance. The values listed are for barren fields. Anything above that has a multiplier, up to 3.0x for very fertile fields.
3. Silver/gold mines seem terrible this time around. For their cost, a lot of other improvements provide better bang for the buck.
4. Police stations are a must, especially with modernization and because it takes much longer to convert newly conquered provinces of the opposing faction.
5. At first, I thought the market chain is always better for inns. Now, I'm thinking the gambling den chain is better for later provinces with significant permanent resistance to invaders. By the time you get to a permanent +2 or above, you can be fully modernized already, rendering the minus to modernization pretty irrelevant. The market chain gives better income, growth and enough happiness to offset its modernization penalty. The gambling den chain gives a minus to modernization (irrelevant once you hit the final tier, I think) and up to +5 happiness. That more than offsets the industrial chain.