Default I am new to EB...a couple of comments/?'s

I am new to EB; really like it. The reasons I switched from vanilla were:
    1. 3 Roman factions
    2. Historically not too accurate
    3. Just didn't like the Roman civil war

I love EB
    1. with the larger map
    2. More historically accurate units
    3. More realistic time line (Turns/movement)

At first I was disappointed with the long wait times in between turns; now I am used to it (I only wait 1 minute 30 sec, I timed it; after I timed it, it just seems shorter). Then I was dissapointed to at the realization about how long a campaign would take. (What am I going to do? I don't have a DVD-rom drive so I can't even get new game, ie MTW, so I have time).

I've just started as Rome; set at Campaign- very easy; battle- medium. I've always played very easy (I play computer games to have fun, not to be challenged, life is a challenge; I play to relax). How will playing on very easy affect the game, I understand it should be played on hard according to the FAQ's.

What does EB entail? Obviously, new units, larger map, new buildings, but what of diplomacy and scripted events? I already went to war with Carthage for invading sicily. Are there other events like this? Don't worry about spoiling for me.

Default Re: I am new to EB...a couple of comments/?'s

Most people who try EB want a challenge therefore: H or VH or at times (if you choose yourself a very difficult faction for instance M) is appropiate. But if you do not look for a challenge then there's no harm in playing Easy. It will make the campaign indeed a lot more relaxed, since the higher you go the more stubbornly (and often foolishly) tries to exradicate you.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by zarasophist
    What does EB entail? Obviously, new units, larger map, new buildings, but what of diplomacy and scripted events?
    Having read the FAQ you will already know about the importance of activating the script...

The local and regional recruitment buildings take a little getting used to, but it's well worth reading up on these with the Recruitment Viewer (you do have that, right?) open. Also get your head around the various levels of government so that you'll know which to use where and when.
    One balloon for not being Roman

Quote Originally Posted by Apgad
    The local and regional recruitment buildings take a little getting used to, but it's well worth reading up on these with the Recruitment Viewer (you do have that, right?) open. Also get your head around the various levels of government so that you'll know which to use where and when.
    Government structures and factional/regional MICs are vital, and one of the most obvious differences, aye. I agree, get your head around these as they are so central to EB.

If playing as Romani, check out the reforms on the FAQ as well - you might want to know what triggers them so that you can be "on track".
    inde consilivm mihi pavca de Avgvsto et extrema tradere, mox Tiberii principatum et cetera, sine ira et stvdio, qvorvm cavsas procvl habeo.

All great points. Playing Rome is a good starting point. You should enjoy it immensely. After running into some bizarre units as you roll across the map, you may become intrigued to try another faction. EB is a deep and historically rich (and accurate) game. I have no doubt that you will soon become an addict - like many of us. If you have any questions, ask away. More or less, we are a helpful bunch.
    Finished Campaigns
    Lusotannan 0.8
    Quarthadastim 0.8
    Sab'yn 1.0
    Romani 1.0
    Ongoing Campaigns
    Lusotannan 1.2

Long may the barbarians continue, I pray, if not to love us, at least to hate one another,seeing that, as fate bears remorselessly on the empire, fortune can offer no greater boon now than discord amoung our enemies - Tacitus

Hey, I first played Rome and now I'm a hardcore Epeiros fan.

Chaonion Agema combined with Thraikioi Rhomphaiaphoroi! YEAH!
    This space intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple of Tacitus
    After running into some bizarre units as you roll across the map, you may become intrigued to try another faction.
    Absolutely! Don't be afraid to go well outside the "vanilla comfort box" of western infantry-based factions. Head east and north for some completely different gameplay if your Romani campaign starts to feel a little stale.

Cool Re: I am new to EB...a couple of comments/?'s

Thanks for everything.

Yeah I downloaded the recruitment thing last night. I also realized I will probably not be playing any faction straight through; I want to try a faction in the east.

Is there anywhere I can learn about the buildings. I think I "get' them from their discriptions in the game. For instance: "Foriegn Ventures" is really a way to control dissent by reducing your population and adding order?

As for the Govenment buildings; it seems you should build higher up, I & II closer to Rome; and III & IV farther away from Rome? Is this correct? Level IV even offers a governer (collaborater type) who can't leave?

Quote Originally Posted by zarasophist
    As for the Govenment buildings; it seems you should build higher up, I & II closer to Rome; and III & IV farther away from Rome? Is this correct? Level IV even offers a governer (collaborater type) who can't leave?
    Yeah, that's basically it. The higher the level, the better money-making buildings you can build. The main advantage with level III and IV governments is being able to build higher level "foreign troop" barracks. Government III gives you up to level 4 MIC, and government IV gives you up to level 5 MIC, where you can then recruit generals (in addition to getting the client ruler).

Generally speaking, I'd go for the highest level government possible, except for settlements that you've designated as your recruitment settlement in a particular region, where you want access to the best troops available. Of course, you'll want to use the recruitment viewer to determine which settlements you use for this purpose...