Thread: What are your preferred Classical-era melee weapons?

The Scourge of Rome Member Spartan198's Avatar

Question What are your preferred Classical-era melee weapons?

I'd have to go with the classic Greek combo of dori,aspis,and xiphos.

How about you guys?
    Last edited by Spartan198; 03-14-2008 at 05:51.
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Default Re: What are your preferred Classical-era melee weapons?

The standard Roman kit by Caesar's time proved itself to be superior to all other equipment sets. The sword was great for stabbing and hacking if need be and the pila allowed for breaking up a formation.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Question is if you are talking about individual or organized unit combat, and if you are talking about cavalery or infantry.
    If it is about organized units, then infantry legionary equipment (reformed legions) is superior. For cavalery it would be a cataphrat lance.

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by placenik
    Question is if you are talking about individual or organized unit combat, and if you are talking about cavalery or infantry.
    If it is about organized units, then infantry legionary equipment (reformed legions) is superior. For cavalery it would be a cataphrat lance.
    I'd have to agree with that, but if you're just talking about what we'd want for personal combat I'd have to go with a mace or axe. Sure armor wasn't all that heavy back then compared to how heavy it would eventually be, but I have some experience with axes and I think either of them would work quite well in single combat against just about anything. I'd want a one-handed variant though so I could carry a shield in the other hand.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Auspicious Interceptor Member YellowMelon's Avatar

I have always been tickled by Macedonian phalanx formations - the 18ft long sarissa with an iron tip. Pokey pokey.

Kataphract lance? Are you referring to the Parthian Kontos?
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Hmm war elephant :)
    John Thomas Gross - liar who want put on Poles responsibility for impassivity of American Jews during holocaust

If it is about organized units...
    Okay,let's take it one step forward: Your favorite melee weapons for organized,individual,and cavalry.
    I've already outlined my choices for organized combat,so I'll continue on.
    For individual,the falx would be my first choice.
    I've always preferred sword cavalry over lancers,so I'll have to pick either the makaira,kopis,or a spatha coupled with a good-sized round shield (smaller than a hoplite aspis,but larger than a buckler).
    Quote Originally Posted by Krook
    Hmm war elephant :)
    Nothing like grabbing your war elephant by the trunk and hitting your enemy in the face with it.
    Last edited by Spartan198; 03-15-2008 at 21:32.
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

In a group I'd go old school hoplite complete with Hoplon shield, spear, and the very sexy Corinthian helmet.

In individual melee...hmm, I'd unfortunately have to ditch the Corinthian helmet because of it's poor visibility. In fact, I wouldn't even bother with a helmet or armor besides maybe some protection for my wrists and shins. My main weapon would be a Rhompaio(sp?) and I'd have a short Greco-Roman style sword as my back up.

The reason I'd ditch the armour is because I'm pretty small and I've got horrible endurance so I if I didn't stay on the attack then I would probably lose.
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

Elephant Master Member Conqueror's Avatar

For individual combat: a Chinese crossbow, scale armor, Thrakian helmet and an armored war elephant with strong-built howdah

For mass combat: a one-handed spear/lance, a kopis, a shield, plate cuirass armor with added chainmail for arms & thighs, greaves, Thrakian helmet and a warhorse with frontal armoring.

RTW, 167 BC: Rome expels Greek philosophers after the Lex Fannia law is passed. This bans the effete and nasty Greek practice of 'philosophy' in favour of more manly, properly Roman pursuits that don't involve quite so much thinking.

Auspicious Interceptor Member YellowMelon's Avatar

I like to dual wield my elephants

Quote Originally Posted by YellowMelon
    I like to dual wield my elephants
    The peaceful life of a farmer is sounding better and better...

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Organized- The legions proved itself to be more capable and versatile than any other formation, so I'd probably go with the ol' gladius/pilum/shield combo.

Individual- Can I pick a naginata? I'm kinda vague on when it was invented, but that'd be my weapon of choice if possible. And some kind of short, backup sword too.

Cavalry- Umm, I'd go with some kind of spear, but I honestly don't know the differences between classical age cavalry spears to go into further detail.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

The Spatha always took my fancy.
    One of those Thracian blades would do me too

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

Gladius.

Unless we're talking about medieval or early-modern - then, I'd have to go with Pan Longinus' sword in Ogniem i Mieczem.

http://www.film.org.pl/kmf_2000/images/ognie.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by King Jan III Sobieski
    Gladius.

Unless we're talking about medieval or early-modern - then, I'd have to go with Pan Longinus' sword in Ogniem i Mieczem.

http://www.film.org.pl/kmf_2000/images/ognie.jpg
    I'm talking about weapons from the classical civilizations,from the heyday of Greece to the fall of the Western Roman Empire.
    Last edited by Spartan198; 03-21-2008 at 23:51.

Knight of Fable... Member Mek Simmur al Ragaski's Avatar

Good thing that i watched a documentary on the Greek cities and the war against the Persians, i would have thought a variation between a Pila and a shortsword, a pila to poke them away and hold a shieldwall, a sword to fight with when the shieldwall is broken or the enemy are in rout
    'It is not anger that drives me to destroy the Egyptian empire, but the promise of gold, a throne, and of all the ruling Pharaoh's concubines in a single night'
    -Me sacking the Egyptian cities...

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

A pilum isn't meant as a melee weapon, although it makes a passable on in a pinch (it's kind of short for a fighting-spear for one thing, and I suspect not really balanced for hand-to-hand combat). What it's meant to do is take out the other guy's shield, since having a few kilos of heavy throwing-spear transfixing your shield makes it kind of useless, and him too if you get lucky...

Dunno if "classical" hoplite shieldwalls ever fought Italians and their heavy shield-destroyer javelins (the weapon was very popular there - the Romans actually picked it up from the Etruscans - and apparently was even adopted by some nearby Celts), but I rather suspect they'd have been quite horrendously vulnerable to the effects of those things.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Pila are constructed so that they become useless after the first impact (first by bending iron, later on by a pin construction) so they'd make pretty lousy melee weapons. The Romans did sometimes crouch in formation and point their pila forward against cavalry charges, but I think mostly to scare the horses before contact.
    Last edited by Kralizec; 04-03-2008 at 15:03.