Thread: HOW DO I TRADE VIA WATERWAYS?

I have ships connected along the waterways. Basically at each port around the Mediterranian. But I am not receiving any florin for my trouble! It is costing me cash every turn to maintain these things and NOTHING! What am I doing wrong?

There are other boats in the provinces, but they are all neutrals.

Help.

Does the originating port have to be in a province with tradable goods???

You need a Docks/Port. Whatever it's called.

You need tradable goods in the original province.

You probably need Merchants (and upgrades).

You also need ships in every portion of the sea that borders a province you wish to trade with.

Do you have ships out everywhere? It's expensive, and when you go to war, it's SO easy to be blockaded. But the payoffs, woof!

- A port where you will export goods.
    - a trade building such as trading post where you have trade goods to export. You will collect tax from this building and it is your income from trade.
    - At least one ship in each (adjacent) sea region from your export point to where you want to sale goods (other will import your goods). No deep water needed.
    - You can only trade with neutral and ally. Enemy and rebel won't trade with you.
    - You can only export to provinces belong to other faction.
    - You can only export goods that others can't make.
    - They will need a port to import your goods. Province without a port can't export/import (can't trade). They won't need trading building to import your goods.
    - If there are more than one port open into the same sea region, you can trade with all of them (if they don't belong to you) by having just one ship in that sea region. Of course, your ship need to be connected to the export point.
    - No enemy ship share the same sea region with you. Enemy ship will blockade your ships.
    - More advance trade building will generate more money. The increase is small but make up in number. Ex: increase 15 florins/yr, export to 10 provinces = increase 150 florins/yr.
    - If your make money from trade, appoint good governor with high accumen (4+) for your exporting province. High accumen will increase income (all sources) of the province.

[This message has been edited by pdoan8 (edited 10-09-2002).]

All seemingly good advise, Pdoan8 and Pragmatic. I will have to make sure my port cities have merchants and am not trying to trade goods that arent needed. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh................