Thread: Questions about royalty

In an early battle, my Danish prince impetuously charged into battle in spite of all my attempts to keep him out of the fight. Now, my prince has ONE royal knight accompanying him.

Great, that's fixable. Heirs can have their bodyguards upgraded and/or repaired. But before I can get to Royal Knights in Denmark (decades of turns of "You run out of money"... really have to learn how to manage my money ), my king dies. So, my prince is now a king with a bodyguard of ONE royal knight.

Trouble is, you can't upgrade/repair your king. I tried it when I was Byz, and had a province that was able to upgrade my Katas to a +4 attack. No go.

Next question: What happens to the bodyguard unit when the king dies of natural causes? It seems to me that the unit disappears, as my stacks seem to keep getting smaller... So, the unit comes free when an heir appears, and disappears if the heir becomes king and then subsequently dies of old age?

Next question: An heir who is skipped over for two generations without becoming king (e.g., the king has two sons--A and B--and then dies; A becomes king; A has a son, A1; A dies; A1 becomes king, then B becomes an ordinary general). Is the age of the newly-demoted general kept track of? For instance, if A1 dies without heir, according to the manual, B will become king. But what if he's now 105? Will he suddenly die off?

Final question in this post: How many heirs can contribute heirs to the pool of potential heirs? Using my example above, if both A and B are married, and they're producing children in the background (until the original king dies), are those kept track of? It seems to me the game can't keep track of more than six heirs at a time. Am I wrong? This can be rather troublesome if your first king both is very fruitful (popping out son after son) and is very long-lived. I started once as the Byz, with my king being at age 26 (and the first heir being 12; I'm not going to ask what he was doing popping out heirs at age 14...). Anyway, he lived a LONG time, to age 100-ish. He also had a lot of heirs. But, trouble was, I never saw more than six heirs at a time. And when he died, all my princes were in their 70s and 80s. Most of them were married (getting princesses to marry is another problem, discussed in a different thread), but the game didn't seem to track any heirs they might have produced. Of course, they started dying off one after the other. I don't know if there weren't any heirs left hidden, or if the game doesn't track them beyond a certain point. I hope that the game keeps track of hidden heirs, because it'd be nice to have a cadet branch suddenly be king, if all the major branches are too old...

Bump.

Had my first civil war. Not fun. I had Khazar, Serbia, Sicily, Malta, half of north Africa, all of Egyptian and Turkish territory, and my original Byz territory (heavily-modded map). Anyway, I lost Antioch, Sinai, and Egypt to a re-emergent Egypt, I lost Malta to a re-emergent Sicily, and I had rebel armies everywhere, with several factions completely lost.

What made it worse is that the rebels were led by the aging brothers of my first heir. So I had a choice: Choose the aging uncles, and have them die out within a decade; or choose the true king (who had some pretty good stats...), and have my best generals (5 to 7 star generals, with high dreads and acumen, though low piety and apparently low loyalty) go rebel on me. Not a situation I appreciate....