Thread: Need help with $$$

Hi,

about a 100 years in to my first campaign, as English.

Things going okay. started to save up about 200 florin a year. then all of a sudden, start losing about 10 a year. NO major changes to anything.

what causes this??? How can I turn that around? is it the cost of maintaining my armies??

cant build stuff to increase economy and it keeps getting worse. not sure how to get out of spiral.

thanks in advance.
    Jeff

Quote Originally posted by ScoutDawg:
    Hi,

about a 100 years in to my first campaign, as English.

Things going okay. started to save up about 200 florin a year. then all of a sudden, start losing about 10 a year. NO major changes to anything.

what causes this??? How can I turn that around? is it the cost of maintaining my armies??

cant build stuff to increase economy and it keeps getting worse. not sure how to get out of spiral.

thanks in advance.
    [/QUOTE]

If you don't have a chain of ships going to the Med for trade by 100 years, you've screwed up. No excuse not to. Also, you should have taken either Flanders or Sweden by this point in time, both are cash cows for trade.

Grifman

Senior Member Senior Member Dionysus9's Avatar

Yes army maintenance is probably killing you.

You need to research the trade system and build ships to trade with.

Good luck.
    Hunter_Bachus

I have ships build but still cant get revenue from them? How do I do it specifically? Is it because another factions ship shares the same water?

I wouldnt worry too much about it if I were you though. About 50 years into it I was rich, getting about 2000 florins a turn, but by 150 years I was looking money at about 3000 florins a turn. What I did to turn it around was conquered more, and built buildings that gained money for me (Salt mine, Gold mine, etc.) and ended the game gaining quite a bit a turn

Senior Member Senior Member Hakonarson's Avatar

you need to have merchants and ports in those provinces that have trade goods.

then you need to have a chain of ships to foreign provinces that also have trade goods. Enemy provinces generate no trade, neutral and friendly ones do.

Any sea area that has any ENEMY ships in it does not count as part of your chain - even 1 enemy ship can break your chain.

Neutral ships have no effect.

You automatically generate trade betwen every one of your provinces and every foreign province that is eligible.

Early on you don't get much for trade because:

1/ you don't have very long trade routes so you aren't trading with many foreign provinces, and
    2/ many foreign provinces don't have merchants & ports yet, so yuo can't trade with them even if you are connected.

Okay, fine.

So you start wiht 8000 as English, with Angry Welshman, Scots and French all around.

You are saying to spend a majority of that on ships and trade facilities???

Jeff

On Normal setting, I send my emmisary to Ile de France, then take my king and all my troops and invade Flanders.

On Normal setting, what happened every time was that the troops in Flanders withdrew without a fight. Once your emmisary gets to Ile de France, TRY, TRY, TRY to get a cease-fire. If you do, you've got the best money-producing province France has. A good start.

After that, go for Sweden, Navarre, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland. That'll get you Iron (Sweden and Navarre). I think you get some good mines out of Wales and Sweden, as well. Plus, you'll cut off Denmark from easy expansion. (Also, Sweden has good trade resources.)

In addition, you get a bunch of nice region-specific units. You get Woodsmen (Sweden) and Highlanders (Scotland), good peasant-level units. You get Kerns and Gallowglasses (Ireland) and especially Spanish Jinettes (Navarre).

Dang, I'm going to have to try this, myself.

Okay, thanks.

Just seems like i will need a lot of $$ to build ships and keep trade going. but will try it!

Jeff