Thread: Health finally explained...

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Got this from Gil over at the .com

"The general of your army gets additional hit points (everyone else just gets 1) according to his health factor, which is increased by various vices and virtues. There is a minimum of six for this.

Anyone who loses a fight or gets hit by an arrow takes 1hp damage, which is obviously enough to kill anyone except the general.

The reason the general can last so long in a ruck is that only two men can fight any one target, and he's probably taking some damage but not enough. An individual melee can last for quite a while, even before you consider that some virtues can give up to 30 hitpoints to the guy. Hence the Jedi effect.

In the patch, individual melees will get more dangerous for the combatants after a while, so the general will either win or lose each fight that much quicker. Statistically, therefore, he should lose when surrounded that much quicker.

But you should remember that surrounding the general with spearmen is one of the worst ways to try to kill him. Shooting at him is the best way; pinning him in place with a unit while shooting him is even better. A mighty hero could conceivably turn the tide of a battle and could conceivably rout an army of hundreds of peasants; but even the mightiest hero can be turned into a pincushion or squashed under a nice big rock.

Gil ~ CA"

Nice huh!

So a Legendary Warrior has enough life to lose 21 individual duels and still live to see another day.
    But just kill these guys by holding them with some troop and hit them with javelins, that should do it.

------------------
    BTW, Danish Crusades are true to history.

You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

She pushed me ... Member Arkatreides's Avatar

Aha! Just what I thought ... now all the numbers start to make sense too

We can clone a sheep but we cannot clone a single photon.

Member Member Michael the Great's Avatar

Yeah,generals were usually better armoured than the rest of their unit...
    Io,Mihai-Voda,din mila lui Dumnezeu,domn al Tarii Romanesti,Tarii Ardealului si a toata tara Moldovei.

My first assumptions were wrong, so Gil was so nice as to explain it to me in real numbers.

"So much for making Shogunesque assumptions involving the number 6...

The general's hitpoints work out like this:

4 (a good solid start)
    + his generalship level
    + 4 if he's an heir or 6 if he's the King
    + 1/3 of his health bonus (the biggest of which is +20 for mightywarrior3)

= 16 + generalship level for a good King.

Gil ~ CA"

So my king who has Mighty Warrior and Rank 6 equals out at 22 in health, asuming you round down any fraction.

------------------

Ahhhhhh....very interesting stuff. Thanks for posting that Kraxis.

------------------
    We speak of deep night, deep autumn; when I think back to the year 1943 I feel like saying "deep war"
    Ilya Ehrenburg
    "I request permanent reassignment to the Gallic frontier. Nay, I demand reassignment. Perhaps it is improper to say so, but I refuse to fight against the Greeks or Macedonians any more. Give my command to another, for I cannot, I will not, lead an army into battle against a civilized nation so long as the Gauls survive. I am not the young man I once was, but I swear before Jupiter Optimus Maximus that I shall see a world without Gauls before I take my final breath."

Senator Augustus Verginius

excellent...

Ricardus Insanusaum Member Bob the Insane's Avatar

A question, if you know the answer??

Does this apply only to the general of an army or to each unit leader??

ie. you have the King and some of his heirs in a battle each with their own units... Is it only the King that is hard to kill while the heir's have only one hit point, whereas if the heir was the general of his own army he would become harder to kill???

My experience tells me that unitcommanders are harder to kill, so I guess that heirs are too.

I think that Gil or Longjohn said that Vices are still in effect if the commander is not the general. So a Good Runner under command of a Good Runner is really bad moralewise.

So, it indicates that these things does have some effect on the heirs. Though hardly along the lines we see here.

------------------

Nice one Kraxis (and Gil!), very useful to know!

She pushed me ... Member Arkatreides's Avatar

So in a 20 man unit the king is as effective as the rest of his unit? Nice one!

We can clone a sheep but we cannot clone a single photon.

Yeah... Never thought of it that way.

Actually he is worth more because of his personal higher Valour.

------------------

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

GAH!

Vanya reads this and ponders...

Does this mean that if a general has, say, 30 hit points, and you have a unit of longbowmen with 24 arrows in their quivers and order them to shoot the general... with the general standing STILL... that the longbowmen will only succeed in killing him on the 25th arrow to hit him?!?

GAH!

Double-GAH!

And, if only one arrow can hit a given man at a time, then the whole volley would amount to a max of ONE hit! With 24 volleys, even if a hit was scored in EVERY volley... the general would NOT fall to the longbowmen!

If this is true, then what they say is FALSE! Shooting the general will not kill him if the shooter has fewer missiles than the general has hit points!

Sure, when you combine effects its doable over the long haul. But odds are, it will be your own peasantry eating arrows and not the general you're aiming for!

Vanya sez... let pikes so 2 hit points of damage. Or 3. Cav units should be shish-ka-bob vs pikes. But make cav charge stronger. They should have more 'push'.

Naturally, had CA made a Headless Horseman unit, it would have just one man and infinite hit points... ... and would be unroutable...

GAH!
    [Sips sake, eats popcorn]

The assumption that only one hit can be scored per volley is wrong. Although it's unlikely, it's quite possible for every single arrow in a volley to hit, and that'll kill even the mightiest king.

Vanya, several arrows can hit at once, you can hear the horse moaning when they strike.

Also, try firing at the single man while you are zoomed up at him, you will notice that all the arrows fall very close to him. It is in fact quite cool to see 60 arrows bunch up like that.
    Remember that each archer fires at a man within the enemy unit, but when there is only one they will all fire at him.

------------------

Longjohn beat me to it...

------------------

So it would mean that a nervous or alcoholic commander would be a much easier kill. Aha!!
    Now I can give my ranged units something to live for... weaken/kill generals.

can someone then explain to me what the colledge of surgeons does? it says it gives a +1 health bonus but does that means that troops get one or is that only for the campaign map, and if it is id still like to know what it does...

So going on this information.

it means that heirs and generals who are not the commanding general of the army still get their extra lives before they can be killed.

have i got this right ??

this is very cool, now i can put two good units both with good leaders in my army with out fear one of the good leaders will get killed cause he is classed as a ordinary solider.
    Lord Romulous

Secret Vice
    Sick, Bitter and Twisted.

+3 pervisity +4 cursing +7 to chance of wearing purple pants.