Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S.P.Q.R. - Flight of the Eagle: Romani AAR

ETW Steam: Little Fox Member mini's Avatar

Default S.P.Q.R. - Flight of the Eagle: Romani AAR

272BC Spring.

A pleasant breeze touched the scarse scalp of hairs on his head. In front of him stood Publius Cornelius, consul of the year, giving a speech about how illegal Gnaues Cornelius Blasio was running things in Arretium. With an inward sigh he took in the faces of the backbenchers. Cornelius was winning them over.
    It took him but a small effort to keep his peace for the moment, Manius Curius was no fool. Cognomened Dentatus because he was said to be born with teeth, Manius Curius maybe was a New Man but the First Man in Rome indeed. It was he who finished the Samnite Wars, and he who gave the famous Phyrrus of Epirus a run for his money. Although he was military adept enough to not call it a victory, he knew he had made it nearly impossible for Phyrrus to maintain his campaign on Italian soil. Consul 3 times, and now censor.
    It seemed like ages ago.
    Time is running out on me’ he thought while putting up a mild expression of interest on his face, just enough to let others believe he was truly listening to the ongoing Publius Cornelius.

He was more than happy to step aside as first man in Rome, putting up the title for whoever was able to grasp it. Not an official office by any means, being First Man in Rome meant that the man stood as a power of his own. His auctoritas and dignitas were so immense he stood above his peers, able to sway the senate his way purely on his own. Romes history hasn’t known many who could truly call themselves the First Man, but Manius Curius was one of them.
    In the meanwhile the senior consul was about to end his oration. Better to his move before the consul would ask to see a division.

If I may have the floor?” Manius Curius said, rising. After a short nod from the consul, obviously not pleased, his old bones descended to the floor of the Curia Hostilia, home and heart of the Senate.
    “I thank the senior consul for his magnificent speech on how a magistrate should run his city, I think for the more inexperienced senators among us a learning speech. However, on the subject of Gnaeus Cornelius our senior consul comes with little evidence. To my best of knowledge –and I have campaigned with the man enough to be a reliable source- Blasio is a thrustworthy man. Therefor it comes difficult to me to hear all these allegations and believe them. As far as my sources in Arretium tell me, Blasio is fulfilling his term quite legally, nothing reprehensible. Not that it matters. I remind all of you that no imperium can be removed of a man while his term is still going. Therefor I ask an immediate cease of this discussion.” He looked around, noted many approving faces.

Before he could continue however, a messenger stormed in, outmanoeuvring the lictors guarding the entrance of the Curia, whose gates where opened cause the senate was meeting in an open session.
    Consul, I bring magnificent news!” thundered the messenger while striding towards the center of the Curia and up to Dentatus. What joy to bring this historic news and actually come close to one of Romes greatest!
    Phyrrus has sailed the Adriatic, back to Epirus, in order to wage war on Macedon!

A huge murmer arose among the senators. Wonderful news indeed. The messenger said Tarentum was left to mercenaries for defence.
    Publius Cornelius, awfully aware his case of accusing Blasio was about to go nowhere, took the opportunity to come out with his dignitas unharmed and spoke.

I move that Manius Curius takes what’s left of the consular legions, Legio I, to march to Tarentum and remove the Epirote presence in Italy forever. None can say Manius Curius hasn’t fought a brilliant war against Phyrrus, but he has yet to gain a true victory against the Epirotean forces. Therefor I say let’s grant him this chance to get that victory!

Oh, well played’ thought Manius Curius while the house erupted in frantic cheers and stamping of feet. ‘You saved your face from humiliation today, and in one swift move you removed your biggest adversary in your quest to bring down poor old Blasio.

Dentatus had no choice but to accept. When asking the house for the Legio IV under Blasio’s command up north in Arretium, the house declined his request. The northern border should stay guarded. Dentatus would have to conquer Tarentum with a mere legion, 3300 men strong.

Last edited by mini; 04-03-2008 at 16:12.

Default Re: S.P.Q.R.

To alleviate perpetual boredom ook week evenings, I'm rolling this new aar.
    i'm quite new to EB and the forum, but I used to run a few well-received AAR's on the old RTR board before it went down, ages ago.

I tend to run my aar mostly story based, with nice changes from Pov's once in a while.

As to house rules and everything, I'm not bothering you with how i'm gonna play, just know that it's on H/M and I tend to roleplay my Fm's, to the point were coward generals flee the field when the front lines hit etc, brings a lot of fun to the game ^^

Anywayz, since i'm new, I might go down, but atleast I won't be bored. hope you won't be either. HF reading.

Next part: capture of tarentum amongst other things, stay tuned.

Hey Mini!

Great start! I recognize that style of writing and that use of fonts. Did you perhaps write a couple of AARs on Paradox forum?

Alass, no :) Only on RTR board.

I always use this font, might be me but it gives me an an authentic feel when readin it :)

I see, anyway it's great to see a Romani AAR, as I myself prefer writing more story-based AAR, and like you I tend to use the ingame traits for character building. Anyway will be following :)

Cheers

aka Artaserse (the Lone Borg) Member Obelics's Avatar

i remember your nick too, good look, Roma Invicta!.. or at last so we hope....

Well, I hopeyou lose a couple of battles along the way....I get tired of seeing every AAR writer win every battle for generations... Even the Romans lost occaissionly. Good luck, I'll be reading this on my lunch hour...

hehe obelics, i thought i recognised the wastelands aar from somewhere :D

And irishmafia, if the rolepay calls for it, i'll even lose intentionally ;)
    Well, not the first years, since i'm stuck with rather good FM's, but once the blood deteriorates... :D

271 BC – Summer

There is nothing like a life on the road, at the head of an army! Manius Curius was glad to be out of Rome. Though a crafty politician he was, he preferred the straight forward battles of war. Atleast you knew who your enemy was. In the political arena, alliances switched more rapidly than a Greek changed philosophy. He wasn’t too pleased with being send off to Tarentum with only one legion, but he was confident he would have his way with Phyrrus out of the picture. A formidable opponent Phyrrus had been, one of the greatest generals the world has ever seen. And when testing his abilities against this legend of a man, he hadn’t gone down. He didn’t win either in the basic meaning of the word, but now he was the one of the two men left standing in the field. Phyrrus had elected to go home to wage war on the Macedonians.
    He was riding along his maniple of Hastati, all fine young lads, with their most senior centurion right next to Dentatus, setting the tune of the marching song.

Looking forward to slaughter some Epiroteans?” Dentatus asked of the centurion, named Marcus Appius.
    You can reckon general, we’ll give those cunni hell, won’t we boys?!” he shouted to his men, who confirmed his question with a loud roar.
    I’m sorry we couldn’t transfer your brother over, we could have used the help of the IV’th
    Marcus Appius looked up in surprise to his general. How did he know he had a brother in Legio IV, also the senior centurion of the hastate maniple.
    Me thinks he’ll be sorry to miss this fight general, a good fight he likes my brother.
    -“Don’t we all Marcus Appius, don’t we all?” Dentatus smiled.

Their conversation was interrupted by a scout galloping his way to the legion column. Dentatus eyed the scout questioningly when he got closer.
    Sir, an ambush ahead, about 930 men strong.

Dentatus started calling for his legates, and made a plan of action. All things were to proceed as normal. A trap wasn’t a trap if you knew it was waiting.

Speed. It was the essence of war. Dentatus knew, and he used it.
    As soon as the ambushers showed themselves, all knew where to go.

Looks more of a desperate attempt to hamper us, then an actual ambush” said Gnaeus Torquatus, tribune of the soldiers, when the ambushes came in sight.
    It was a dismall view indeed. Some Hellenic archers and a typical Greek phalanx. Terribly outdated, and hopelessly outnumbered.
    Dentatus moved the velites forward to harass the approaching phalanx and draw its attention. It worked like a red lap on a bull, the phalanx moved to attack the swift javelin men.

Marcus Appius, all yours!” yelled Dentatus while he rode passed with his cavalry, bent on riding straight passed the phalanx to slaughter the bowmen.
    Marcus Appius wasn’t lead centurion for nothing, and had drilled his youngsters well, as shown in the fluent throwing of the pilae.

Time seemed to stand still after that moment the pilae flew over his head. Then he was pulled back to reality by the sound of 400 swords being drawn from their scabbards. He eyed his optio, and nodded. He tried to look in the distance, where his general seemed to be finishing off those pesky archers. Time to start occupying that phalanx.
    Boys, let’s kick em back across the Adriatic! ROMA VICTRIX!
    The hastate surged forward, hitting the phalanx in the flank like a hammer.

The phalanx turned to face this new threat. The dodgy velites that they were chasing now swiftly turned round and came at their back, mercilessly pelting them with one volley after another.
    Then the bugle sounded. Every javelin man got out of the way as quick as possible. The general was in approach, lances down to ride straight into the phalanx’ back.

It didn’t take long before they surrendered…

After that debacle, the road was theirs, and Tarentum looked forward to withstand a siege that summer of 272BC.

next up: marcus Appius gets a letter from his brother in Legio IV, currently a praetor legion at command of Gnaeus Cornelius Blasio around Arretium because of all the recent losses against Phyrrus. Legion II and III were no more.
    Last edited by mini; 04-03-2008 at 16:12.

It would be "Roma Victrix"

But this is really good, good pictures, and a refreshing font.

Adjusted :)

Thx for the praise.

I like story AAR's, this one looks very, very promising. I like i!
    The path is nameless - Lao Tse

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

So many new Rome AARs on this forum! And they're all noticably different enough to read separately! Nice job, keep it up.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

271 - Autumn

Rain poured down on the legions tents. The sky coloured a dark gray which seemed to have no end. Activity in the camp had dwindled to non existent, with only the sentries keeping an eye on the walls of Tarentum.
    As it had rained unabaised for the last couple of weeks, senty duty had become something to dread, and had turned into the primary object of the dice gambling going on in the tents when the centurions weren't watching.
    The siege of Tarentum was dragging out, because their general was in no mood to force a battle. Marcus Appius didn't know what was going on, except that his beloved general didn't seem to be himself of late. As if the years had come crashing down on him.
    It was strange, and Appius hoped the general snapped out of it soon, for the weather was most uncomfortable, and winter was creeping closer.

Appius was found making his way through the camp, rain or no. Checking up on tens of dozens little things and keeping a keen eye on his men.
    When passing around his own tent, he found a messenger just arriving. The messenger grabbed a latter from his saddle bag and almost threw it at Marcus Appius before hurrying along, no doubt searching for the next person he had to deliver something to.
    All Romans were fond of writing letters, and all literate legionaires therefor could be found maintaining a constant traffic of letters to the homefront of friends and family. It was a letter from his brother, Decius Appius, centurion in the legio IV.

Dear Marcus

I hope this letter finds you safe and sound, I offer to Mars every day to keep you safe.
    I have heared the Legio I have settled down to besiege Tarentum. With Manius Curius doing the besieging, I bet those Greek mentulae will capitulate soon enough.
    Maybe you've heard of the unrest among our Etrurian allies? According to that best of fellows Gnaeus Cornelius, it appears they're discontented with the death of several thousands of their young man in one the battles against Phyrrus.
    But I ask thee Marcus, who HASN'T lost friends or family in the war against Phyrrus?
    Anywayn Gnaeus Cornelius decided to nib it in the bud, and we caught a bunch of those fools somwhere east of the Via Cassia, just south of Arretium.

From the moment we marched in sight, they were scared shitless. I've always tried to think how it would feel to see a splendid roman legion marching in sight, knowing it's there to put you down. Must be terrifying no doubt.
    Blasio sniffed in contempt when he saw the bastards didn't move, just waited to see what our move was going to be. probably too scared to move me thinks. it left us free to take position of a slight hill on their flank, gaining the higher ground.
    Close enough to see them now we were, and all we saw were a ragtag of peasants with whatever dismall weapons they we're able to put their hands on. I knew then this day would pose no problem.

the general granted us a short break when we took possession of the hill, but afraid the rebels would turn and flee to rise again after we've turned, the general decided that battle was to take place.
    For some reason, the fact that we started marching down hill, must have been the sign of inevitability for those rebels, because they came running.
    Don't you just love the sight of those hundreds of pilae flying over your head? I know I do Marcus.

A junior tribune riding towards me gave me my orders - I'll never get used to those cocky young fellows - I was to assault the left flank, while the principe would assault the right.
    The center line was to be occupied by our rorari. I ask you Marcus, how have we suffered under the hands of Phyrrus when good fighting has to be done by a bunch of rorari? Our luck the enemy were mere farmers!

It was an uneven match. I don't remember much of it, I never do when in the thralls of battle. My men were pushing the enemy flank remorselessly, and I was pushing my men remorselessly.
    The fight raged on for what seemed like hours, but took no more than three quarters of an hour by my estimate. When I saw the enemy and the italian allied cavalry massing on my left flank, in the enemies rear, I knew the battle was soon to be hours, and I cheered my men on.

I don't think there will be an uprise anywhere in Etruria soon my beloved brother. We trounced them.

Stay safe brother, and write me about the siege of tarentum! I miss you.

D.Appius
    Last edited by mini; 04-03-2008 at 16:13.

Excellent! I'm happy to see there's quite a few Roman AARs on this forum now. I respect your ability to roleplay characters, mini, I always have a tough time when the family gets too large so I simply give up. That last chapter in particular was very well written. Reminded me a little of CountArach's old Romani AARs... Keep it up, I look forward to your next update!

MARMOREAM•RELINQUO•QUAM•LATERICIAM•ACCEPI

Tbh, when I just play to play, I cba to roleplay either.

But RP is essential when doing an AAR, the quirks of ur Fm make all the difference with other AARs :)

On RTR board I had a MTWII campaign with Venice, where my King suddenly became a bit looney, and eventually turned raving mad..

I had him ransackign across Europe with his army, and in battles constantly rushing forward slaughtering everything in his path :D

It was great fun!

262BC Winter

Rome

"Lucius, Iunia come inside! This is no weather to play outside!"
    Two pair of tiny feet started running across the battered pavement down the Aventine. Winter had hit Rome more severly than the memory of the young children could recollect, but the prospect of spending the entire day indoors filled them with dread. Of toys they had almost nothing, and the small cottage they dwelled in did not allow for the fantasies of a 10-year old boy and a 9 year old girl.
    Their mother did her best, but with their father gone, times have been hard lately. The children started milling about in the house, their joyous cries incurring a reminiscence to better times with their mother.
    "Listen sweethearts," the mother tried, "Sit down and be quit for a while, there will be a special treat this afternoon if you do!" Iunia became docile immediately, but young Lucius had more trouble calming down. He demanded to know what their mother had in stored for them.
    A knock on the door had both tiny heads swinging that way.
    A man entered, a wide grin on his face as he took in the childrens face lighting up.
    "Uncle Decius!" the children stormed forward, either cluttering around one of Decius Appius' legs.
    "Confined to the house are you now?" he ask smiling of the kids, picking up Iania for a good hug.
    "My god you're gettign heavy Iunia. You should stop eating sweets you buy from the venters!" Iunia's face clouded before she figured out she was being teased.

Decius settled down and took in his late brothers wife. They were both widowers; and they only had eachother. The children were the only remembrance Decius had of his beloved brother; best of friends, bravest of men. His own wife had died in child birth, with the tiny sprogg dying not much later.
    Ever since his brother died, he had looked after her and Licius & Iunia. Even after almost ten years, a sadness filled him while thinking of Marcus.
    He was brutely pulled back to reality when both kids jumped on him, settling on his lap.
    "Tell us a story about our tata!" young Lucius cried out. At his age, his days were filled with performing heroic battles with his friends. His sister joined in, battering her tiny fists on Decius chest.
    "Alright alright! I'll tell you the story about your father famous battle at the siege of Tarentum" He glanced quickly at Tertulla, who gave him a tiny smile.

"About a year after you were born Lucius, making it 8 years ago, your father was there at Tarentum with the famous Manius Curius Dentatus. You know Iunia, that man on his horse at the square where you buy so many sweets" He eyed iunia slyly.
    "Although they had arrived in Autumn, the siege continued during winter, according to your father due a malady which plagued the general.
    Probably due to the weather, which was even worse than now.

Which in the end might have been for the better, for by summer our spies inside the city had been succesfull in sabotaging the northern gate during the early morning. Manius Curius, fully in control again, had a long word with your father.
    Your father was to be among the first to storm through the gate when it opened. To him became the responsability to form a spearhead of which the whole attack would depend upon. Junior legates are of course way to precious to send in first.
    Your father, brave lion as he was, just nodded and assured the general there was nothign to worry about. Tarentum would pay for slaughtering Roman emissaries a few years before, and seeking the aid of Phyrrus when Roman retribution was imminent. This was going to be one for all those fallen in battles against Phyrrus. Just a shame the man himself wasn't there to receive a piece of Marcus Appius' retribution' he said smiling to his general kids.
    "

The actual battle will follow tonight, lunch break is over unfortunately ;)
    Last edited by mini; 04-03-2008 at 16:14.

btw, where can I apply for a title change?

I think me needs a bigger title to draw some crowds :p

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mini
    btw, where can I apply for a title change?

I think me needs a bigger title to draw some crowds :p
    Just ask for one and if a moderator sees it, they'll change it for you...

Decius Appius took a sip of water, the two story-hungry children on both his knees awaiting eargly the continuation of the story...

'A silence covered the field in front of the Tarentian North gate. A slighty warming breeze blew through and over the sleeping city of Tarentum, straight into the peering eyes of Marcus Appius. According to the infiltrators in the city, the moment was near.
    The gates would be openend, the centries not alarmed. He had instructed his men the evening before.
    They were to be the bridge head of the army, the maniple to run through and secure the entrance to the city.
    Tention hung tangible in the air, experienced as he was; he sensed the nervousness of his men, and he walked among them with a low voice, comforting them. Yes they had a difficult task, but the whole army depended on them.
    If they pulled it off, they'd be heroes. Exactly the right kind of words to impetious young ears.

Suddenly a flaming arrow was shot over the wall. The signal! Marcus Appius rushed forward, with his maniple on his heels. They had to make it, what if the spies were detected?
    It was a mere half mile they had to run, but it seemed like 5 full miles. The wooden walls enlargened slowly as they got closer. He felt his heart beat under his chest, wasn't sure it was due the running or the excitement.
    Then in a blink they were through the gate! Home safe. Marcus Appius ran right into a wall of spears. Only a cat-like reflex of his left arm saved him from 2 or 3 jabbing spearheads. It was a trap!

"Close rank boys, on me, on me! "he tried to pull his men together. forming a shield wall. The only way to make enough room to let reinforcements in, was pushing this phalanx backwards.
    "On me lads! Let's push this raggety sorry bunch of mercenaries back! Are we going to be thrown out by some pansy Greeks. Push boys, push! By Mars Bellona and Herculus Invictus, PUSH!"
    The ranks closed, hiding behind the big shield, and a pushing match erupted. The Greek mercenaries jabbing with their long spears, the young hastati taking the blows on their shields, trying to pierce the wall of spears.
    Marcus Appius tried to eager on his men, being in the forefront of the battle the whole time himself. They had to push the enemy back, or they would all die here, with the rest of the army shut outside the gates.
    Agonizing slowly, the phalanx gave way inch by inch. But every inch was payed with Roman blood. They almost had gained enough ground to allow some reinforcements in, but he had lost a quarter of his men already.
    A cry from the back lines got his attention. "Cavalry coming from outside!"
    Cavalry? What was going on? Why should they receive cavalry as reinforcements? Those horses would have no room to manoeuver here. He pulled himself free to take a look himself. He peered into the dust, trying to catch a glimps of what was heading his way. They doomed in front of the gate as daemons from the underworld.

Again Marcus Appius quick thinking saved the day. He let his men form two rows, shield to the inside, while the front continued facing forward. Sort of a U upside down with the arch making the front line, and the inner part protected by shield.
    "Let them run through boys!"
    The enemy cavalry ran through alright. Losing the battle in the field against Dentatus apparently - Marcus had no idea there even was a battle taking place outside - the enemy cavalry bolted back inside to safety. They ran right into the phalanx fighting Marcus Appius men, creating nothing but chaos under the defenders and a gap in the lines.

Marcus hesitated not, and jumped in, not seeing if his men followed

Lunchbreak's over again, more tomorrow or tonight.
    Last edited by mini; 04-03-2008 at 16:15.

"Marcus Appius plowed on into the ranks of the phalanx, whom were still trying to gather themselves after their general rushing through in a frenzy. it was the turning point of the whole battle."

Decius Appius eyed the children, who were listening with their mouths open. It was one thing to listen to stories of histories bout heros of legend, but it was quite something else to hear such a story bout one's own father.
    Even Tertulla had taken a seat for listening. Decius gave her a quick wink before continuing.

Wether it was the confusion in the enemy ranks, or the sheer zealotness Marcus Appius showed in driving through the enemy ranks, what happened turned into a rout of the enemy. Their scrimmage line broken, the phalanx turned and ran leaving their javelin man in the path of Marcus Appius' men to slow them down.

With the enemy running like rabbits through the streets, Marcus gave his men a break. "Water is coming lads, turn around and you'll see some very welcome faces!"
    For indeed Manius Curius Dentatus had moved the rest of his army forward to enter the city. It was the censor himself who rode up to him to congratulate him for a job well done. He had earned himself quite a few phalernae today!
    When Dentatus informed him the principes would take the lead from here, Marcius Appius reacted with outrage, while his men stood and watch.
    To let others take the front, while they had fought so good and hard to gain a foothold? Terrible! Outrageous! It just wouldn't do!
    When Marcus Appius cried out to his halved maniple, they reacted with cheers. No man was going to walk in front of them. They had fought their way into the city, now they would force the enemy out if it.
    Manius Curius shrugged, and let Appius have it his way. The hastati moved on, Marcus Appius in the lead.

As they made their way through the streets, they seemed to near to the towns agora, the central market place. It seemed that resistance had gathered there.
    "Alright boys! We've had to grind our way in here tooth and nail, we broke their backs, and now they're standing spineless awaiting the crushing of our boots. Who took the gate?"
    "WE DID"
    "Who took the streets?"
    "WE DID"
    "Who will take this stinking city?"
    "WE WILL"
    "LET'S GIVE THEM HELL!"

Marcus Appius understood that he needed to hype his men to their limits. he had no doubt of their fighting abilities, it was just that their numbers had dwindled in that first fight.
    Neverthless it was important that his remaining men should have the taste of victory as the first of the army, otherwise they'd never again consent to just take a beating for everyone else. They were the young boys, so they always would go first. But knowing the feel of victory made it easier to step forward.
    A good thinker he was, Marcus Appius. At the next corner, fresh skirmishes broke out with the remainign enemy forces.
    Marcus Appius didn't hesitate. this time the whole legion saw him charging the enemy head on, and it cheered him immensely, unable to aid due to the narrowness of the street.

Whatever the enemy had left in them, it wasn't much. On the agora, the mercenary captain chose to make his final stand, as he understood the Romans would not be in a forgiving mood. In silence they awaited the coming of the Romans, who showed their face around the corner in the person of Marcus Appius.
    The hastati didn't halt. Appius swinged his head back, saw the rest of the legion had followed his carving of a pat to the agora, and didn't hesitate. For the third time of the day, he led his men into the sharp teeth of the wolf and attacked the phalanx head on.
    This time there was plenty of time to go around of the flank of the enemy. Marcus started battering down the right flank of the enemy. With great skill he took the enemy spears on his shield, forcing him to follow him outward and thus opening up the spear line.
    Sadly enough, on creeping evermore to the left, he was suprised by an enemy whom in blind fear suddenly stepped out of the phalanx line, stabbed him in the right leg, and tried to make a ron for it.
    Even on one knee, Marcus Appius succeeded to hamstring the fellow before he had made one step, hauled him down and savagely slit his throat.
    Unable to stand, he tried to be of use to keep the spirit of his men up before he passed out.

".. he'll be fine, it is but a flesh wound. it was probably the exhaustion of the day taking its toll. give him a month of good rest, and then start regular exercise to make the leg used to being used again. It'll do fine."

Marcus openend his eyes and found himself in a tent, watching the camp doctor talking to Manius Curius. The latter saw him moving out the corner of his eye and walked to him.
    "Rest, you brave centurion. The city is ours, your men are safe, and the spoils are good. And as my good friend Gnaeus Cornelius Blasio is no longer a praetor, we'll soon have the Legio IV here. You and your brother are marching with me to Rhegion. Before winter, we'll have those traitors executed, the peninsula into the Roman fold, and you richly and honourably discharged so you can enjoy your 2 newly borns in peace. But now you must rest."

Which came easily to Marcus Appius..

On the next episode:

The battle of Rhegion.

Last edited by mini; 04-03-2008 at 16:17.

Default Re: S.P.Q.R. - Flight of the Eagle: Romani AAR

next update will be somewhereover the weekend, go the GF here so no pc ;)

269BC - Spring

Marcus Appius eyed the camp from the slightly elevated Generals house in the camp outside Tarentum. Leaning heavely on his crotch, he smiled as rankers hustled by on this job or another, greeting him cheerily.
    He had become a hero in early spring when capturing Tarentum. Without him pushing the men over their limits, the dangerous effort of the infiltrators would have gone in vain, and they'd still be besieging te city.
    But no matter how much he tried to tell himself it was all for the better, he couldn't stop thinking bout the faces of the men he had lost.
    They had gone in, 400 men strong. All of them fine young Romans, the future core of the army, of the Republic. What had come out were a mere 160 men.
    More than half of his boys he had left behind, and the part that did emain were in no means unscathed.
    It saddened him deeply, and had no other comfort than it had been on the hands of the gods.Atleast they lives had gone to the victory of the legion, and the final removal of Epirotean presence on Italian soil.
    The thought of Epirus drew his gaze to the city of Tarentum, where Manius Curius Dentatus, his commander and Censor of Rome currently endowed with a pro-consular imperium, was conducting negotiations with the selfsame Epirotes.
    Although Marcus Appius had nothing but hate for the people whom had cost Rome so dearly, he could see the logic and reason for a peace treaty with the cunni now they had no foothold remaining in Italy;
    He was a centurion in the legions, and did not trouble his mind further with all these political machinations. He turned his gaze north, from where his brother should arrive with the Legio IV, the other remnant of the the consular legions and the only other legion Rome had for the moment.

With glee he felt the improvement in his leg every day, and looked forward to actually serve in a battle at the side of his brother. And as far as he knew, Manius Curius had no intention of laying down his imperium until the whole south of italy was brought under the Roman aegis.
    That he would have to fight fellow Romans at Rhegium didn't worry him; the Romans in Rhegium had turned their backs on the Republic, and therefor had abbrogated their citizen status.
    Marcus Appius decided is was time for a walk around the camp, and mingled with the rankers. The evening would bring news of the peace treaty with Epeirus.

269BC - Summer

The camp bristled with activity. It had taken Manius Curius a few months, but finally all pressing matters had been taken care of. Tarentum was now a worry of the Senate.
    Dentatus' energies were now all directed for the upcoming campaign against Rhegion.
    A far harder nut to crack due to the presence of Roman trained troops, and with summer upon him, the campaigning season was almost halfway already.
    Time was no luxury Manius Curius would enjoy.
    To worsen matters, a few military tribunes had finally arrived from Rome last month. It were the obligations of nobility to take in the sons of other patricians and senators, even if they were obdurately dense.
    It irked him, as his age had eroded his patience. He always had had little patience with suffering fools, but at his age and with such an illustrous career behind him, he felt he need not suffer fools gladly anymore.
    But he deflected some of his anger to others, as it was not political to make mincemeat of political allies sons.
    Even Marcus Appius, hero of the Battle of Tarentum, had taken some of the heat. Not that he cared much, he was too happy being reunited with his brother at last. Service in different legions had seperated them and reunited them on numerous times during the battle-ridden past decade, but nevertheless life wasn't the same with him near nor was a battle the same predicament when he knew his brother was there aswel. And they would soon have their first siege together.
    The sun had not had much to rise much in the almost cloudless blue sky before the signal was giving to march.

It took over another month to finish of the siegeworks around Rhegion. Manius Curius may not have time on his hands, but battle could easily be postponed until autumn, softening enemy resistance.

And in early Autumn, the signal for attack was finally given..

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

Great AAR.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

269 BC - AUTUMN

The butchers bill

"Forward boys, push this thing forward, come on! Once we get close to the walls, we're home safe! They've got no ramparts on their walls, the fools. By Mars Bellona and Jupiter Optimus Maximus, push or I'll throw my pilum at you myself and do the work myself!"

The battle for Rhegion had not started has Marcus Appius had hoped. Instead of being lined up next to his brother, his halved maniple was given the charge of one of both battering rams, built for breaching the wooden walls of Rhegion.
    Not at all put out by this news, Appius had prepared his men with usual zeal for the task at hand. What dismayed him, were the orders to stay put after making the breech. He didn't like to draw first blood and being reduced to spectator after that, but Dentatus had decided to take no risks this time? He would send in his crack troops first, they were facing Roman opponents after all, far more persistant than any Greek.

He looked back over his shoulder, over the bodies of a numer of his men already killed by whatever projectiles the enemy was launching over the walls.
    His eyes sought out his brother, the sight of him would grant him strength, as usual.

(Marcus Appius' maniple)

(Decius Appius)

Marcus Appius' maniple had the honor to be the firts ram to touch the wall. The men set to work, though being wooden walls, they were amazingly sturdy.

For what seemed forever, Marcus Appius eagered his men on, screaming himself hoarse. And although the wall started to give way, progress was painfully slow.
    When the first cracks became visible, Marcus Appius signaled to the commander. The row of spears in the hand of the Triari now seemed to waver, and finally to move forward. Marcus had no idea what the plan was, no doubt the primi pili would tell him. While his men continued bashing the wall, he eyed the progress of the Triarii.
    These men were the legion elite. All battle hardened veterans, with exquisited gear assembled with earnings of previous spoils, with an experience and prowess reknown throughout all the ranks.
    He looked sideways, where the second battering ram seemed to get the better of the gate aswel, which had earned it being the destination of 400 principes.

The skirmishing at the gate continued relentlessly, pilae being thrown back and forward. Marcus Appius had seen the Triarii march him by, ordering him to stand fast. They had moved in, the principes and roraro of Legio IV behind him, while the principes of his own legion were occupying the enemy at the gate and his own brother still standing next to the cavalry at Dentatus' right side.
    Noise of battle could be heared on the other side of the wooden walls, but it was Appius' job of guarding the passage, and he couldn't see how the battle was faring. Judging on the only things he could observe - the noise and the smell - it was one, big, chaotic struggle of a bloodbath.

The Triarii had moved in, securing the breach and girding themselves for a relieve forcing coming from the direction of the gate. What they hadn't counted on, were the locals -abily equiped with Epirotean gear -appearing behind their backs and hungry to fall on the Triarii's unprotected backs.
    Dentatus later was heard to offer prolifiously to Fortuna that he had sent a maniple of principes and rorari behind the triarii. They threw themselves between the approaching horde and the Triarii, already outnumbered on the front.

(Skirmish at the gate)

(Trairii holding the line, ignoring the struggle at their backs)

While both sides struggled to cope with what no doubt was a turn of events not considered in their carefully planned battle plan, Dentatus send his last maniple of Hastati, under command of Decius Appius to the breach, hoping to decide matters by sheer weight of numbers to break the stalemate.
    Both Marcus and Decius sent their man into the madness behind the walls of Rhegion.

Dentatus himself could do nothing more but to secure the gate from any sally attempts by the enemy. It had boiled down to a sheer pushing match in the outer fringes of the town. Men screaming, boys dying. The noises of battle filling the ears of everything and all in the region, the foul stench of blood and excriments perpetrating the noses all who hadn't fled the vicinity of the madness of men already.

The brothers Appius found eachother on the battlefield.
    "This isn't going too well" said Marcus to Decius.
    "Well well Little brother! We can tell Dentatus being centurion is a waste of your talents! He should make you a general" his brother answered grinnin broadly, taking blows on the shield and stabbing a taller man in the opening the short moment an openign was created by charging the man with his shield.
    "What I mean is, that we have to do something about this mess, or we'll be stuck here all day, exhausted and outnumbered. We have to find a way to get around this mess, brute strength isn't going to settle this fight"
    "What do you propose Little Brother?" asked Decius Appius of Marcus, who had always been the thinker of them.
    "Gather what is left of your men, and meet me outside the breach"
    "And leave the others to fight without us? We can't!"
    "Listen Decius, our numbers don't throuw much weight here in these narrow streets. They'll manage, because they have to, while we can be of more use to our friends, by doing what we have to do." Marcus said setting out to gathering his men.
    Decius took a deep breath and stood transfixed for a while. Then he started shouting orders.

A few moments later, just outside the breach:
    "And what do you think we should do?"
    "Run back to the gate, slaughter everything in our path and fall on the enemies back. It's the only way to decide this battle in our advantage."
    "And what if the enemy still has reserves?" Decius showed his brother that he could think too.
    Marcus smiled "Well, what did you think I meant by slaughtering everything in our path? We'll probably be outnumbered like the Spartans at Thermopylae, but if we hold out long enough, we might grant our superior cavalry force a chance to gallop through the front door and do something useful here at the outer fringe streets. Atleast here they still have SOME room to manouver. Further into town we won't have that advantage."

The plan was formed.

(The Brothers Appius, conferring on a plan of action just outside the breach)

They ran to and through the gate, to the first cross road. In the distance ahead, a maniple of fresh principes. On their right, even more reinforcements in the form of a maniple of rorari. And, on their left, the ensueing madness they had left earlier.
    Numbering only a small 100 men, Marcus knew he had no chance against the veteran principes down the street. He looked at his brother, who answered the look in silence. They stepped towards eachother in silence and shook the soldiers handshake.
    "Vale brother, if Fortuna wants it, I will meet you after the battle."
    It was clear to Marcus that his brother struggled with tears and emotions, he couldn't well cry in front of his men, who were on the brink of fighting for their lives with small chance at succes.
    In the end, all Decius could produce, was 'Vale'.
    Then Marcus Appius charged his Young Lions, christened with that name afther the battle of Tarentum, against the rorari. Which might be inferior soldiers, but outnumbered them almost four to one. It would be a hopeless fight, and no doubt his men knew this as well as Marcus did. Nevertheless they followed him when he charged. After Tarentum, they would have followed him to Pluto's Lair to pluck at Cerberus ears.

(Splitting up..)

Marcus and his men ran into range, taking pilae in the right hand in one fluent motion. Marcus fell a string of proudness at his men, so cool and bussinesslike they remained in the face of certain death. They had to held those reinforcements of, letting the cavalry entering the city. But Marcus had little hope of coming out alive.

It was an unevenfight from the beginning, although the Young lions of Legio I sold their hide at a high price. Marcus was in the grip of a battle frenzy he had never experienced. As if mars had granted him a boost to all his skill and experience so he could die a worthy death. He saved the life of the man next to him several times, relentlessly finishing off the attacker in the same movement, all the while fending off his own opponent. A flicker in his left eye corne made him raise his shield, but it was too late.
    The enemy sword bounced of the top of his shield, striking him at the helmet, dazing him. He felt a sharp pain in his thigh, and a warm feeling gliding slowly down his legs. Suprize was all he could feel, before he took a second blow on his shield, striking reflexively with his gladius, killing someone. Then a second pain eurpted in his right shoulder and his knees gave way. He fell backwards on the pavement, rolled a it to the gutter.

Darkness was removed from his eyes for a short moment. He tried to move but ceased any attempt as it became apparent his body was one mass of ache. He turned his head to the chaos a few feet from him. A feignt smile tug at the corners of his mouth before the veil of darkness came over his eyes once more. Marcus Appius was no more, but he had died satisfied..

Decius Appiushadn't fared any better. His men had given way slowly under the pressure of the more experienced, and more numerous and fresh principes.
    He found himself fighting off numeral enemies when he saw his general gallopign through the gate in the direction of his brother. Marcus would be safe! And coming to his aide very soon! He shouted his feleings to his men, who took heart at the encouragements of their centurion.

Smoke filled the air as the evening descended upon the town of Rhegion.
    A few men were bustling through a bunch of corpses. All of them were tired, but they wouldn't rest before they were finished here.
    The rest of the army was celebrating their victory, or already sleeping from the superfluent consumption of whine, but these men hdn't celebrated, but set out to find something.

A cry from one of them had the others hurrying to him swiftly.
    One of the newcomes pushed the man who had raised his voice out of the way, and knelt. He looked down on what the man had found.

He took it in his arms, and unleashed a cry that went through every other man present's bones. Decius Appius had found his brother, but he was dead..

Last edited by mini; 04-05-2008 at 16:52.

thx appo :)

Either there are many lurkers, or this is just a tough crowd on newcomers ^^

This is absolutely amazing, a very good story. Please write more.

MARMOREAM•RELINQUO•QUAM•LATERICIAM•ACCEPI

Good AAR. Watch the views though, they gieve a better indication as to how popaular this is.
    The path is nameless - Lao Tse

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast