Thread: FAQ Project: Strategic Units

As part of my ongoing project to compile an FAQ/Strategy Guide, I will be making posts with Frequently Asked Questions. Answers to these questions are encouraged, and if your information is selected to make it into the FAQ, you will receive full credit, and a big pat on the back. By posting, you agree that you are giving your consent for your information to be used in the FAQ, unchanged (save for minor changes in grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc.). Anyway, with that out of the way, here come the questions...

Strategic Units

1. What in the world do you use Princesses for?

2. What do these emissary guys do?

3. How do I get my assassins to kill someone?

4. Why do my assassins always die? How can I make them better?

5. What good are priests/bishops and other holy men?

6. How do I get/use inquisitors?

7. What are spies good for?

8. How do I get spies to cause revolts in an enemy province?

Feel free to answer any or all of these questions, though try to keep the answers relatively brief. Also, if you can think of another question and/or answer, go ahead and post it and I'll see if it seems relevant. Thanks to everyone for their time!

-blackfire83

[This message has been edited by blackfire83 (edited 10-11-2002).]

1) Princesses can marry into another faction. Drop one on a faction ruler. If accepted, it forms an alliance, and if they are wiped out while you are still allied, you may get some of their territories. If the faction has no heirs who are unmarried, dropping a princess on the king offers an alliance. You can also marry a princess to one of your own generals, this will improve his loyalty.

2) Emmisaries simply offer alliances, like using a princess on a king with no unmarried royal family. They can also be used to spy on a province (i.e. when an emmissary is in a province, you will be able to see what troops are there.)

3) Drop your assassin onto an enemy piece. You will be told how likely he is to succeed. Click the "tick" button to proceed with the attempt.

4) Assassins get better when they succeed. Try assasinating emmissaries, they are the easiest targets. Low valour assassins are always at risk of failure.

5) Priests/bishops raise the percentage of the population who follow a religion in a province. Leave them in a province for a while and they will start converting the populace to your religion. This can be useful if you want to stir up trouble in an enemies province who is not the same religion as you, or if you want to reduce the risk of rebellion in a province you have taken from an enemy of a different religion. They can also be used as emmissaries.

6) Can't remember exactly which buildings are required, but Inquisitors can be used as assassins on other Catholic factions pieces. They also raise the Zeal of a province they are left in (provided the dominant religion is catholicism)

7) Spies are good for keeping loyalty up in your own provinces, lowering loyalty in enemy provinces and seeing what an enemy has in his provinces.

8) Build a lot of spies (at least 8) and drop them all into one enemy province. Depending on the loyalty/garrison/enemy spies, this should revolt the province fairly quickly.

------------------
    It's getting warm in here...that must be one hell of an INFERNO!
    It's getting warm in here...that must be one hell of an INFERNO

Kraellin: ROFL...sick, sick, sick...rofl...sick, sick, sick...ROFL. You should be banned, Inferno, but before you go, post a few more. lol

Quote Originally posted by blackfire83:
    Strategic Units

1. What in the world do you use Princesses for?
    [/QUOTE]
    Princesses have many uses. First, a princess can approach the leader of a neutral faction and propose an alliance cemented with marriage, if the faction has unmarried heirs. Second, if the neutral faction doesn't have unmarried heirs, she can still get an alliance. Third, you can drop a princess on a spectacular-but-unloyal general to increase loyalty. In the first and third case, the princess is "used up," however.

Quote 2. What do these emissary guys do?[/QUOTE]
    Emissaries have four main functions. An emissary can approach a neutral faction to propose an alliance. Or they can approach an enemy faction to propose a ceasefire. Or they can approach a princess to propose an alliance cemented by marriage. Or they can be dropped on governors/counselors to strip them of their titles. Keep in mind, if you can't find the enemy king, you can drop an emissary on an opponent's emissary. At that point, your emissary knows how to find the king, and will track him down. (Good way to locate a hidden king, to send in the assassins. )

Quote 3. How do I get my assassins to kill someone?[/QUOTE]
    You drop an assassin on an opposing faction's unit. Either the general of an army stack, or the leader of the left-most unit in a garrison, or a strategic unit, or the opposing king. Alternatively, you may want to assassinate one of your own units. (For example, if you have an expensive elite unit, but it's been cursed with a ruinous general--political connections, you know--then you can assassinate the unit's leader to make room for a better leader.)

Quote 4. Why do my assassins always die? How can I make them better?[/QUOTE]
    Someone who knows better than I will be able to tell if more "stars" make an assassin more likely to slip through the border fort chain. However, in order to improve your chances against enemy units, it's best to practice against enemy strategic units in landlocked provinces first. Don't give the enemy unit a chance to go skipping from province to province: that only increases the chance they'll get caught at a border fort. (I also don't know if producing emissaries as "assassin fodder" will either result in giving the emissary getting "hard to kill" V&V, or with the assassin getting extra stars. Would be worth testing.)

Quote 5. What good are priests/bishops and other holy men?[/QUOTE]
    Priests/Bishops/Alim and their upgrades are good for turning populations in your favor, especially when fighting against factions of another religion. Remember, if the population is of a different religion than your faction's, they're more likely to revolt.

Quote 6. How do I get/use inquisitors?[/QUOTE]
    Inquisitors come from the Monastery, while grand inquisitors are available from the Reliquary, assuming your faction is Catholic. Inquisitors are primarily for raising zeal in a province, in preparation for a crusade. (What this has to do with crusades, I don't know. I generally play as the Byz.) It is best to raise the zeal in opposing factions' provinces. This is in preparation for sending a crusade through that province. This will syphon off more of the enemy's units. One must be careful, however, as this may backfire if the inquisitor takes it upon himself to start an inquisition. If the inquisitor kills off a segment of the population, zeal will drop.

And that will be my contribution.