Thread: The Handshake of Mithras

Default The Handshake of Mithras

Quick question: in the building description for the temple to Mithras, it mentions a handshake being used as a symbol of friendship between followers of the cult. I was curious, is this the handshake the one commonly used today, or is it something different, more of a secret-society handshake? Thanks for any answers.
    “He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city.”-Proverbs 16:32

Read my Aedui AAR-"Across the Waters: A Story of the Migration"
    And the sequel "Sword of Albion"

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Default Re: The Handshake of Mithras

Something funny, probably the Mason's handshake if you ask me.

Masons are pagan bull-killers. Honest.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Marzbân-î Jundîshâpûr Member The Persian Cataphract's Avatar

The hand-shake was primarily a sign of good will; For instance we read about the last Achaemenid King of Kings, Darius III Codomannus, and his encounter with a Macedonian soldier during his dying moments. The Macedonian soldier had found him mortally wounded, and offered water and aid. Darius shook his hand and requested that it should be passed to Alexander. This was not some cult-restrictive thing, even though in the case of the Mêhr cult, the hand-shake could have been a form of professionalism before covenants were made.

The gesture itself is very efficient in its simplicity; What does it tell about it? It basically says "I am extending my arm" (...Retranslate into "I am extending my offer"), "I gave you my hand first" (...Retranslate into "I initiate and close the deal"), and the moment the two hands join, we see a symbolized embodiment of a mutual contract, and the shake "seals it". The hand-shake also says "I am coming in peace" and nothing would illustrate it better than an unarmed hand ready to receive a physical reply.

Hope this helped.

"Fortunate is every man who in purity and truth recognizes valiance and prevents it from becoming bravado" - Âriôbarzanes of the Sûrên-Pahlavân

Quote Originally Posted by The Persian Cataphract
    The hand-shake was primarily a sign of good will; For instance we read about the last Achaemenid King of Kings, Darius III Codomannus, and his encounter with a Macedonian soldier during his dying moments. The Macedonian soldier had found him mortally wounded, and offered water and aid. Darius shook his hand and requested that it should be passed to Alexander. This was not some cult-restrictive thing, even though in the case of the Mêhr cult, the hand-shake could have been a form of professionalism before covenants were made.

The gesture itself is very efficient in its simplicity; What does it tell about it? It basically says "I am extending my arm" (...Retranslate into "I am extending my offer"), "I gave you my hand first" (...Retranslate into "I initiate and close the deal"), and the moment the two hands join, we see a symbolized embodiment of a mutual contract, and the shake "seals it". The hand-shake also says "I am coming in peace" and nothing would illustrate it better than an unarmed hand ready to receive a physical reply.

Hope this helped.
    Yeah, it helped quite a bit. I would infer from what you write that this is the modern handshake, however you don't explicitly state that. Would be interested to know if this is the case. Thanks for the help.
    “He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city.”-Proverbs 16:32

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Didn't it get picked up by the Romans at some point, hence its present-day wide spread ?

Incidentally, the cynical also tend to point out you do it with your right (weapon) hand...
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

I think it's a fairly widespread thing, not sure but it may appear in Homer. Giving someone your right hand, or wrist, is a fairly usiversal way of saying "not planning to stab you right now."
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman
    Didn't it get picked up by the Romans at some point, hence its present-day wide spread ?

Incidentally, the cynical also tend to point out you do it with your right (weapon) hand...
    Yeah, you read in the Bible the story of Joab and Amasa, and suddenly realize the wisdom of occupying a person's right hand while greeting them.

The wave of the hand is also a way of saying "I don't have any weapon in my hand, so won't kill you when you approach". It's common in more sparsely populated territories to wave or nod in greeting rather than shaking hands, hugging or cheek-kissing. Allan Pease explains this with the larger intimate zone you get from growing up with more space around you.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

there is also this post:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...87#post2870687
    it's quite interesting
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg