Thread: Under-13 members

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Default Under-13 members

Do you allow them here, or do they need parental permission first? TWC requires the latter, bur I'm not sure if the Org gets around this problem by some other method.

Post Re: Under-13 members

I do recall a function which asked for age before anything else in the registration system, but going through it now that doesn't seem to be the case.

Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

The Scourge of Rome Member Spartan198's Avatar

Default Re: Under-13 members

We do our best to keep things rated "G" around here so to keep a welcoming atmosphere present.
    After all,today's junior members are tomorrow's senior members and moderators,right?
    Last edited by Spartan198; 04-06-2008 at 08:49.
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

I do believe that registration requires an age check.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Deranged rock ape Member Quirinus's Avatar

So, with all due respect, what is the point of the site being PG-13 if no children less than thirteen are supposed to be on here? That doesn't matter to most of the Org, but it limits the kind of threads we can have in the Frontroom and Backroom.

Surely, if we can ocherstrate and witness the digital slaughter of thousands, we're stout-hearted enough to not faint when we see the word .
    WARNING! This baseline signature should never appear on screen!

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

I thought pg-13 was for people aged 13 and over - same as we think age limit on site is

you seem to be implying you'd rather have 18+ version

personally I think keeping to roughly pg-13 standards helps keeps sites more pleasant places (even for those for whom 13 is a dim and distant memory), that seems appropriate, certainly for anything other than the backroom.
    Last edited by Makanyane; 04-06-2008 at 16:12.
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the:

Quote Originally Posted by Quirinus
    Surely, if we can ocherstrate and witness the digital slaughter of thousands, we're stout-hearted enough to not faint when we see the word .
    Well, your argumentation is really weak if you have to resort to using .
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Hello,

Medieval Total War had an age rating of 11, Shogun: Total War, Rome: Total War and all expansions had an age rating of about 12 too. Actually we should be a PG-11 site.

One of the greatest things about Shogun: Total War and Medieval: Total War was that it attracted young people (seen 7 years old), yet wasn't childish and at the same time attracted people over 70 years of age. Played an enjoyed by both and ages between it.

PG-7.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Deranged rock ape Member Quirinus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Makanyane
    I thought pg-13 was for people aged 13 and over - same as we think age limit on site is

you seem to be implying you'd rather have 18+ version
    Whoops! I feel like a fool now.

personally I think keeping to roughly pg-13 standards helps keeps sites more pleasant places (even for those for whom 13 is a dim and distant memory), that seems appropriate, certainly for anything other than the backroom.
    Restricting doesn't reduce the level of mean-ness, IMO. It all depends on the context.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking
    Well, your argumentation is really weak if you have to resort to using .
    So does making allusions to Nazism, but I don't see Nazi allusions being censored.

Remember that the use of doesn't have to be perjorative or offensive.....
    WARNING! This baseline signature should never appear on screen!

Remember that the use of doesn't have to be perjorative or offensive.....

Just the sight of it may be offencive to some, I cannot see any real reason to start allowing it; it's not like if my vocabulary is drained.
    Last edited by Viking; 04-06-2008 at 17:19.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

So, with all due respect, what is the point of the site being PG-13 if no children less than thirteen are supposed to be on here? That doesn't matter to most of the Org, but it limits the kind of threads we can have in the Frontroom and Backroom.

The TWC rationale had less to do with content than the collection of data about users under 13 years of age, hence my link to the COPPA law. I think non-profit sites would be exempt, but any advertisements may put the Org under its jurisdiction - the TWC admins weren't sure about this, so they have a policy where under-13 users have to send in a form signed by their parents giving their consent for their membership here (item 9).

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian
    Do you allow them here, or do they need parental permission first? TWC requires the latter, bur I'm not sure if the Org gets around this problem by some other method.
    Well I know IMB banned me or something that probably has to do with my age, since he didnt give me an explanation and asked "how old are you?"...I didnt flame anyone, a mod could check my account. one 0-point warning from a heated debate.

I dont know what he wanted or what I did...but its his site so I guess legaly he can choose to attack members if he wants too.
    Last edited by Boyar Son; 04-06-2008 at 20:13.

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian
    The TWC rationale had less to do with content than the collection of data about users under 13 years of age, hence my link to the COPPA law. I think non-profit sites would be exempt, but any advertisements may put the Org under its jurisdiction - the TWC admins weren't sure about this, so they have a policy where under-13 users have to send in a form signed by their parents giving their consent for their membership here (item 9).
    Isn't the Org exempt from this stupid law because it's based in the Netherlands and thus not under US jurisdiction?
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by woad&fangs
    Isn't the Org exempt from this stupid law because it's based in the Netherlands and thus not under US jurisdiction?
    Depends on where the servers are, I think.