Thread: Fixed-Date for AI Marians

Default Fixed-Date for AI Marians

Please take note: This is not intended as a criticism of the EB team or the terrific mod that they have produced. It truly sets the bar for excellence in the modding community—and sets it high. However, I would like to propose that a fixed date be introduced for the Marian and Imperial Reforms, at least when the AI has control of the faction. I think the human player should be forced to work hard for the reforms, but the computer has little chance of fulfilling the prerequisites. And it’s frankly strange, when one plays to the late Second Century and early First Century B.C., to still go up against Polybian Triarii and Principes in Rome’s ranks. It would be a lot more fun to actually have to fight the Marian legions in all their glory. I would suggest that a fixed-date reform be incorporated into 1.1 for this sole purpose. The date, I would leave up to the team. My knowledge of the time period is not sufficient for me to make a judgement. Once again, let me state that this is just a suggestion, and I will stand by the decision of the EB team. Good luck, guys!
    “He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city.”-Proverbs 16:32

Read my Aedui AAR-"Across the Waters: A Story of the Migration"
    And the sequel "Sword of Albion"

I is da bestest at grammar Member Strategos Alexandros's Avatar

Default Re: Fixed-Date for AI Marians

I thought the AI already had a fixed-date for them.
    - my first balloon, from Mouzafphaerre
    - LS balloon

Modo Egredior
    https://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bi...ookup=Plb.+toc <- read this!
    "Do you know what's worth fighting for?
    When it's not worth dying for?"

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

I think instead of the "automatic at 90 settlements" trigger, it should have a date trigger. Automatic at 90BC or something, same as the Polybian reform has a late trigger if you don't meet the conditions.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

The Marian Reforms totally changed the Roman Army with the whole land ownership thingi if I remember things correctly. Its different from the Polybian. I do support giving the AI a set date marian reform or even an imperial one just for fun and giggles.
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; 04-07-2008 at 18:25.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky
    The Marian Reforms totally changed the Roman Army with the whole land ownership thingi if I remember things correctly. Its different from the Polybian. I do support giving the AI a set date marian reform or even an imperial one just for fun and giggles.
    My point isn't to do with the significance at all.

Just that at 90 settlements it's pointless anyway, you've already won. Even 45 is a lot of settlements, and it comes with a string of conditions as well. At the historical extent of Rome's overseas holdings in 110BC, you don't have 45 provinces. Especially not if you hold only Carthage itself, and not the whole northern/northwestern coast of Africa which was a series of independent kingdoms rather than Roman holdings.

90BC is a long way into the game for an automatic trigger, and a long way from the 176BC opening window for the reform as well.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Perhaps the number of settlements held could be looked at but I don't think a fixed date would ever make it into a mod because it doesn't make any sense. The Reform was a response to logistical and demographic changes, if those don't happen you aren't going to need the reform.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Closet Celtophile Member Redmeth's Avatar

Actually in 1.1 AI does have a fixed date for Polybian and for Marians a fixed date coupled with a lowered settlement required, so the AI will surely get Polybians ~250 BC while for the Marians it's only possible if they own Italy + Sicily + some more regions (20 total or maybe 25 can't remember exactly).

Interesting.

*hops over to 1.1 Epeiros campaign*
    This space intentionally left blank.

Barely a levy Member overweightninja's Avatar

In most of my games the Romani fail to reach a state that I think would kick off anything like the Marians historically, and imho due to the randomness of the campaign AI there is little point in making reforms to particularly take account of the AI, not if it affects the player too (at least not something as major as the Romani reforms). However....

Quote Originally Posted by Redmeth
    Actually in 1.1 AI does have a fixed date for Polybian and for Marians a fixed date coupled with a lowered settlement required, so the AI will surely get Polybians ~250 BC while for the Marians it's only possible if they own Italy + Sicily + some more regions (20 total or maybe 25 can't remember exactly).
    Redmeth, can you tell me am I correct in understanding you to mean that the 1.1 script has reforms that are specifically for the AI? If so that sounds like a nice way of doing it.

EDIT
    Nvm, I've just seen the news, I'll look for myself lol :S

Something I've done a couple of times when I feel the Romani have done a decent job, just edit the script (search around here if you don't know how, there's a "how to" in the mods forum). Switch to the new script when you feel the time is right, let the AI go through the reform, and in my experience if you're careful you should even be able to continue with the reforms still in place after switching back to the original script (if you so desire), as it detects the level of reform already in place.
    Hope that helps, cheers
    Last edited by overweightninja; 04-08-2008 at 00:44.