Thread: [Romani AAR] It began on seven hills...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Default [Romani AAR] It began on seven hills...

This is the AAR thread for my EB 1.1 Romani game (H/M with rtw.exe). I had promised myself I'd wait a week or two for the bugs to show and fixes to come out, but when I got home the other day it had finished downloading. Thing is some of the fun went out of my 1.0 game when the Parthians died, meaning I could never have them a major power in the 1st century BC. And while I would like to get my mini-mod starting in 250BC going, that's not going to be a quick project.

Besides which, if I'm honest I have a soft spot for Camillian troops who are kind of cool in their own way. I've discovered my new favourite allied troop as well in the Bruttian infantry.

I'm playing to historical expansion and composition, as per my WIP guide

We open in 270BC:

The garrison of Taras sallied out to defeat, despite outnumbering the Roman forces at the tail end of 272BC, meaning it was taken in an appropriate year. That task done, 271 was spent making good two armies for the southern and northern pushes. Most important of all was to retake Rhegion and restore Roman honour by punishing the traitor.

In the above I'd just taken Rhegion and the following turn, at the end of the winter of 270 Bononia's garrison sallied out and was handed a decisive pasting.

Of note with the AI factions was Epeiros' brushing the Makedones aside to their capital and Demetrius. I wasn't too happy about that, especially as they seemed set to destroy Koinon Hellenon as well. Something I don't like are superpowers growing in my backyard.

Fortunately Force Diplomacy and some creativity with the console arrested their behaviour. I lumped them with a 50k penalty to stop them recruiting, then took settlements off them. By 266BC they'd gone very quiet indeed:

Then I turned my attentions to Pontos who rushed to an early lead in Asia Minor. Ideally I'd like their new settlements to go rebel again rather than go to any one faction. I've got my usual plan in store for Galatia - I'll gift it to the Arverni this time, though.

I've been gifting money via the console to the Hai and Baktria. I did initially to Pahlava, but they seem to be doing just fine. The Getai are similarly sweeping their region while the three Hellenic factions beat seven shades out of each other.

264BC:

The First Punic War has begun, although the opening was a bit of a damp squib. A show of force by the Karthadastim, then they high-tailed it back to Lilibeo. I may have to resort to scripting some reinforcements for them, so we have an actual battle or three (how would I do that?).

I'm also struggling financially a little, but that's because I have two full consular legions when I can only really support one. I only make a profit of around 1.5k a turn right now. Warring with my best trading partner hasn't helped matters, either.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 04-10-2008 at 00:30.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR