Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: [Romani AAR] It began on seven hills...

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Default Re: [Romani AAR] It began on seven hills...

The Third Battle of Elymia, 243BC

Almost following the footsteps of the imperator Scipio, Marcus Aurelius Cotta marched his forces to Lilibeo and camped not far from the fortressed city's walls. Hamalcar offered battle immediately, and although outnumbered Cotta saw a chance to bring the war towards a close with a decisive victory.

He drew up his forces in the traditional manner, on the same spot Scipio had fought Hamalcar several years before.

Like Abdosir had been before, captain Thero was eager for glory, leading his veteran pikemen to the Romans.

Cotta sent Pulcher to deal with Thero and wheeled to address Hamalcar's arriving forces.

The numerous Sardinians were content to sit at range and snipe at the Roman lines with their bows. Keen to deny them that advantage, Cotta ordered the advance.

Losses were mounting on both sides, when Hamalcar recklessly charged the Roman line.

Chaos reigned for a time, with battle lines becoming confused and men losing track of their comrades. Hamalcar fell, run through by a legionary's spear. With his death the tribesmen who had been sworn to him crumbled. Balaeric and Sardinian alike fled.

Cotta had his victory, but it was a costly one. He would need to strengthen his army before attempting a siege of Lilibeo.

242BC:

I took Massalia, and once the road is built I'll install a client king and leave. I'm keeping Segesta until I get my Polybian reform, then I'll give it to the Arverni probably. Not much left in the war in Sicily, haven't seen any reinforcements arrive, most of those have gone to Korsim where they've tried unsuccessful to oust Nero and his gang of mercenary cronies. He destroyed a full stack of akontistai over the course of three seasons while being besieged.

I used some Force Diplomacy to restore some Seleukid holdings, both Pergamon and those taken too far by Pahlava and Pontos. Baktria are next, they've come too far west for my liking. Greece is still a mess but a stalemated mess. The Getai took Singidunum, they're getting worryingly powerful.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

241BC:

Offscreen, Lilibeo is now on a slow-burn siege, I've got a diplomat in Spain to seal the ceasefire deal some time in 240BC. As in as soon as I've taken Lilibeo. Then it won't be long for the Polybian reforms to hit, but I won't do anything about it immediately. Rebuild my armies, sort my economy out, possibly try to secure Emporion. Then later hit that upgrade.

In Asia Minor things have turned interesting. Earlier I used Force Diplomacy to reduce Pontos to a more manageable size. They finally took Sinope, which is good. Meanwhile Koinon Hellenon have re-created the kingdom of Pergamon, as captured.

My minimap is fixed, you can see that Pahlava and Baktria have been pushed back some. I want the Seleukids a viable threat in 40 years time, I don't want to be fighting a Pontic superpower instead like in the last game.

Hayasdan have just started their annoying march northwards again, instead of south against the Seleukids. I've got my diplomatic taskforce on the way to halt them and the Getai's progress into central the Caucasus.

I think gifting the Rebels lots of money every turn is having the desired effect, there are some massive garrisons in some settlements - Thermon has a full stack, for example. We'll see how that goes.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 04-19-2008 at 19:30.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)

240BC:

Not long before the ceasefire with Qarthadast, I've just got to collar an army or settlement in Spain. Of two minds whether to let the garrison of Lilibeo "surrender" by FD-ing a ceasefire before taking it, or taking it and then getting the ceasefire.

Some more FD on Baktria who've now been pushed into their more or less historical position. Did some on the Getai and Hayasdan to try to push them out of the Bosphorous and Caucasus. How long it will last remains to be seen. I'm only hoping the improvements that have been made to nomad armies will make the Sauromatae better able to hold on to them.

Sounds like a real headache all this FD...The line between cheating and just playing is blurry. Why not let the AI do what its supposed to do? Ultimately we all know the outcome because we have read the history. Why not let the game spice it up?

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

Well, there´s enough ahistorical AAR´s out right now, so I say let him do his thing. It is quite entertaining if you ask me. Besides, he claims he doesn´t play for the gameplays sake, but to get a historical simulation.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Quote Originally Posted by Chirurgeon
    Sounds like a real headache all this FD...The line between cheating and just playing is blurry. Why not let the AI do what its supposed to do? Ultimately we all know the outcome because we have read the history. Why not let the game spice it up?
    Because it's my headache and I don't care about "letting the AI do what it's supposed to do" or "spicing the game up" or "what if".

Historical simulation is a vital part of my motivation for this mod, I'm not about to change that. And as I've already said, I couldn't care less about whether or not it's considered "cheating". If I "just played" with my existing house rules, I'd stretched of boring turns between wars with nothing to do but queue buildings. Plus spies and diplomats would be largely pointless, since I'd have nothing for them to do.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 04-20-2008 at 11:26.

239BC:

Having gotten my Polybian reform marker, I've given Segesta to the Arverni. Hopefully that will stabilise their conflict with the Aedui a little. I'm not going to re-take it again for 20 years, and then probably gift it back to them, along with Cisalpine Gaul at about the same time.

Qarthadast have started war again, I'll have to destroy the army they're sending to Corsica along with the one that's already there, then perhaps kick them out of Sardinia through force to end it properly. One drawback of the BI naval invasion AI is that Qarthadast may be less likely to honour a ceasefire if they can just load troops onto their ships. I'm thinking a naval campaign is in order to stop that happening.

Hayasdan have been checked in the Caucasus, hopefully they'll stop trying to go north for a bit. Getai seem to have given up on the Chersonnesus, which is good. And Baktria on Pura. Pahlava took Zadrakata, but that's not really a problem. Pushed Pontus back to the coast of Asia Minor again. I might gift Saba Qarthadast's other desert province, especially now they're at war with the Ptolemies.

235BC:

Warring on and off with Qarthadast, which is starting to get annoying. Especially since their invasions consist of pathetic stacks of one and two troops. That's a definite problem with BI.exe, you don't just get stupid land invasions, you get stupid naval ones as well. If this continues, I'm half-tempted to go back to rtw.exe.

My First Punic War is supposed to be over, but I'm yo-yo-ing between war and peace. I also can't beat them at sea, not even quadriremes are a match for their quinquiremes.

Hayasdan seem to have been muzzled. Same Baktria and Pahlava aren't advancing so quickly now. Pontos is on the rise once more.

233BC:

There are times when I hate being right and now is one of them. Naval invasions were great when we were fighting it out over Sicily. Now we're supposed to be at peace, but as usual the military AI is ignoring the diplomatic AI, and thus Qarthadast have landed a massive army from Spain in Sardinia. The only upside of this is that I get to destroy it before it threatens Arse or Emporion.

Elsewhere in the world, I did a bit more stirring in Asia Minor, giving Karia to the Ptolemies and Sardis back to the Seleukids. Koinon Hellenon were getting a little too settled there, especially since the Chersonesus has rebelled to them. I like the stalemate between them and Makedonia that has resulted in no provinces changing hands there for decades.

I experimented with the BI AI and found it to be better for the most part. But it just wasn't worth it since it always did those retarded naval invasions. Best to use it only for land locked factions. If you got some water next to you then you're going to be at war with any faction that has ships and a reasonably short journey time. You'll have the Ptolemy(sp) kingdom invading none stop too if they take that rebel province on their West. Plus the Greeks will come knocking once they run out of things to do.

231BC:

Back to rtw.exe, and no more annoying invasions of the puny-armies from Qarthadast. I'm preparing a new Polybian consular army for the Illyrian Wars, I was planning to send two, but I doubt I can afford it. Which means it may be a lightning campaign of fast-grab and suffer lots of casualties.

Asia Minor is all change as usual, the Seleukids seem to have taken an interest in Halikarnassos now the Ptolemies have it. Makedonia took Byzantion off Koinon Hellenon.

Oh, and I did something cheeky in the north African desert - I gave Garama to the Saba.

230BC:

Just a snapshot of the chaos that is Greece. Makedonia seem to be slowly gaining the upper hand - having just taken heavily-defened Thermon - which is perfect. Means when I start my First Macedonian War in 15 years time, there will be an actual power to weaken. I'll probably use a Greek general from Taras and some assorted Hellenic troops and mercs to fight it, as was the case in the real war. Then maybe kick them out of Korinthos for good. Just hope Koinon Hellenon can survive that long, the settlements in Asia Minor and the Chersonesus should allow them that much.

Pahlava seem unstoppable, the Seleukids certainly seem incapable of stopping them. Perhaps too many wars on too many fronts. I'd like to get Hayasdan to attack them to pull their efforts south, but no idea how I do that. Baktria are now at war with the Saka, who are besieging Baktra. Which should hopefully ease the pressure on the Seleukids a little.

Just offscreen, my Illyrian campaign has begin, I'm besieging Dalmanion and Segestica. I'll take them in 229.

That random mauve blob I think is where the Sweboz gained a Sauromatae settlement through rebellion. Qarthadast look set to get rid of the Sabaen altogether, got a full stack headed for Tuat.

Still I'm quite happy with the game thus far. Baktria are contained, Pahlava don't look like they're going to keel over. The Sauromatae and Saka are tougher (although now Baktria have their eye on the latter, whether that will remain so remains to be seen), even the Arverni seem to be holding their own now they have Galatia and Liguria.

228BC:

My Illyrian War is in progress (just took Dalmanion, Segestica to follow shortly), but what was more worthy of note was the rebellion in Atiqa. It's only a decade too late, but it'll do. My spy has been there for about 15 years! Rather annoyingly, the Eleutheroi AI then immediately sent the stack out of the city where it can be picked off at will. There's also a spy in Adrumento, although there's just enough troops there to prevent a revolt.

I just had to take Sparta and Chalkis off Makedonia who are growing problematic. A little too soon for me to deal with them directly, as well. Epeiros are still the do-nothing faction. The Seleukids actually took Apameia back all by themselves. They seem to be losing against the Ptolemies of late, though. The Lusotanii have nearly completed their uniting of all Spain, but for the Qarthdastim holdings. I wonder how long before they go to war.

Sauromatae are holding their own and I've just noticed on the map that the Saka have taken Baktra. That's a new one. How long before the Baktrian juggernaught gets in motion and wipes them out is anyone's guess. I'll be keeping an eye on the situation, don't want Baktria gone.

I'm quite proud that it's 35 years (and 140 turns) or so into the game, and no factions have died, and there are still lots of rebel provinces.

226BC:

Pictured are most of the dominions of Rome, I'm in the process of pulling my two consular armies out of Illyria since it isn't a province yet, just an allied kingdom. Next year Patavium is going to be the target of one of those returned consular armies, with a new commander. Then around 223 I'll be declaring war on the Aedui to take Mediolanium off them.

Elsewhere in the world, all those gifts of provinces and money seem to have stabilised the Seleukids for now. They took Apameia back off Pahlava, although it's now under siege again. They also drove the Baktrians out of Karamana. I gifted them Syria, which they're not doing a good job of defending from the Ptolemies.

Axum becoming Sabaen wasn't me for a change, but a rebellion. Qarthdast didn't seem able to take Tuat back even with a full stack. I think I'm going to gift Saba Mauretania.

Epeiros have stood a full stack just offscreen on the border with Dalmatia. Don't seem to want to do more than that.

Nice progress. In 226 Rome made that important alliance with Saguntum (Arsé) that Hannibal chosed to ignore, I take it you decided not to make a Massilia and take Arsé to keep it as an allied state.
    Oh well, just a few years left to Hannibal, did you manage to script him and his army into the game?
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Quote Originally Posted by General Appo
    Nice progress. In 226 Rome made that important alliance with Saguntum (Arsé) that Hannibal chosed to ignore, I take it you decided not to make a Massilia and take Arsé to keep it as an allied state.
    Oh well, just a few years left to Hannibal, did you manage to script him and his army into the game?
    Massilia I took, because otherwise it would end up Gallic, but Arse I've left alone. The Lusotanii have taken it, so in 219BC I'm going to FD it to Qarthadast and declare war on them. I'll also take or FD Emporion as my base of operations the following year.

Working on scripting Hannibal - he'll appear in 216BC when I can gift Qarthadast Capua and maybe Arpi. That'll stop him running back to Spain.

225BC:

I'm currently besieging Patavium off-screen with one of the consular armies returned from the Illyrian campaign. The other one will be dispatched to Mediolanium in a few turns. Cisalpine Gaul will soon be mine! Then I might think about retaking Segesta.

Gaul is a bit of a mess. I just took Burgidala off the Aedui and gave it to the Arverni to try to maintain some kind of a balance. Particularly given them just lost Vesontio to the Sweboz, who have crossed the Rhine for a second time now. The Aedui seem able to hold them back, but not the Arverni. What I don't want is the Arverni and Aedui declaring a ceasefire to focus their efforts on the Germans.

I'm tempted to ship an army to take Emporion before the Lusotanii grab it, but I think I'll save that for 218BC.

Used some Force Diplomacy to push the Getai back into Europe proper, they're building up quite a little empire there, what with the Hellenic factions distracted by squabbling with each other. I think they allied with the Sweboz too, we'll see how long that lasts.

I just gave Sala and Garama to the Saba. Now there's Mauretania and other independent nations. If they manage to keep hold of them, I might ally with them when the Second Punic War starts.

Continued good work, I like the idea about Sab´yn in Mauretania. I just checked the RV and they´re only able to recruit Numidians, Garamanatines plus Maures, so you should get a really nice little north-western faction to fight the Carthies there.
    The Appomination

will the saba not have a large amount of uprisings and revolts with the culture difference and the distance to their capital?

Culture, no, they're Semitic too. Distance to capital, sure, but I've not seen them lose any provinces over it. They revolt for a bit, then calm down.

Campaign against the Insubres, 223BC

One of the consuls of the day, Numerius Cornelius Scipio had concluded a successful campaign against the Boii, taking their capital Patavium after a brief siege. Wishing to earn glory of his own, the praetor Appius Cornelius Scipio had secured a proconsular imperium to take two legions and two alae to punish the Insubres. Ravaging their outlying communities, he set to work building lines of circumvallation around their capital, Mediolanium.

Spirits within the walls of Mediolanium were high, the magistrate Andecombogios inspiring the people and his warriors with his magnetic personality. When spring came, they were relieved by a band of kin, led by the warrior Casticos.

Their combined force was equal to Cotta's consular army, so he marched away from the investment of Mediolanium and offered battle a short distance away. Better that than trapped between the town and the relieving army. This Scipio wasn't an imaginative general like some of his august ancestors, and indeed relatives, but he knew how to look after the basics, and was skilled with logistics. As long as his supply lines were safe, he was content to fight. His chief tribune was the young Decimus Claudius Pulcher, not the brightest lad but but brave enough and respected by the men.

Favouring a gentle rise in the battlefield with cornfields to their back, Scipio's men drew up in the triplex acies. Scipio sat in the centre with his extraordinarii in reserve behind the third line where he could direct them personally to where they'd be needed most. Pulcher was on the right with some allied horse and the decurion of the Campanian cavalry, Gnaeus Rufinus commanded on the left.

Eager to win glory, Casticos marched to meet the invader. Scipio wheeled his force to receive them head-on, all the while keeping an eye on the progress of Andecombogios' force from Mediolanium.

For a time the skirmishers engaged in that fluid and ever-shifting battle of light troops.

But Casticos' warriors rapidly grew impatient and charged the Roman lines.

Some of his levies charged too far and arrived before the seasoned principes tired and confused. They withered under a hail of pila and ran.

Spotting the Roman general, a band of Gaesatae charged, heedless of the principes standing in their path. They were but a minor obstacle in the way of glory. Standing firm and reassuring the men, Scipio ordered his picked men to charge their flank.

The front ranks were all engaged now, on the right Pulcher led his troop around the line.

A fierce melee developed in the centre, where the extraordinarii engaged the naked warriors under the eyes of the general. Pride was at stake, they would show themselves worthy of his faith.

Pulcher's band swept into the rear of the Gallic foresters supporting another mob of fanatics.

The archers gave way.

But then some of the fanatics charged Pulcher and his comrades, seeing a chance to win a famous combat.

Rufinus commanding the Campanians had spurred ahead of the line to drive off some enemy skirmishers. Then he turned his horse around and charged into the back of the fanatics testing the resolve of the men in the centre.

As he pulled his troop away to charge home again, he was caught unawares by Andecombogios and his newly-arrived forces. The Campanians suffered many casualties extricating themselves from the uneven fight.

Meanwhile having finally broken the resolve of the fanatics on the right, Pulcher was forced to turn and run from another band arriving with Andecombogios' men.

Andecombogios and his bodyguard charged in support of his levies, exhorting them with promises of rich rewards and putting himself in harm's way. Scipio stood firm, providing an example in calm confidence.

On their own initiative centurions in the second rank, and those commanding the skirmishers began to take advantage of gaps in the fighting, leading maniples through them, or around the front.

Andecombogios' bodyguard caught sight of the Roman general and swore to bring his head back to the magistrate of the Insubres.

On the right, deftly avoiding the new fanatics, Pulcher routed the fresh levies.

His bodyguard's rash challenge left the Insubre magistrate hopelessly unprotected. One of Scipio's extraordinarii cut the brave Gaul down.

The shock of Andecombogios' death started a panic in the centre which quickly turned into a rout.

The fanatics in the centre lost hope, even through their narcotic haze they knew this day was lost.

But the fanatics on the right were too drug-addled to care, vowing to fight to the last if they must in honour of the dead magistrate.

In the flight that dominated the rest of the field, Casticos was cut down.

And in the slaughter that followed, few survived.

With the garrison slain, Mediolanium lay open to Scipio's army, who quickly installed themselves in the town.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 04-30-2008 at 02:02.

223BC:

The recent campaigns against the tribes in Cisalpine Gaul have brought Patavium and now Mediolanium into the Republic. I'm quickly diverting troops from Bononia's garrison into Patavium so I can remove the consular army from there to deal with the inevitable reprisal the Aedui will be sending my way. Unfortunately for them, they have to cross Arverni lands (who they're at war with) to do it. Hopefully after beating off a couple of stacks they'll stick to a FD'd ceasefire.

Had to push the Germans back across the Rhine again, Arverni did a poor job of holding their settlements. Hopefully they should stem the tide for a bit. The Sweboz are having a good old go at the central European defense force. Pannonia declared for the Aedui after the Getai took it, and now they're at war.

Baktria are being hard-pressed by the Saka, so much so that they've given up on the Seleukids for now. Parthia are still grinding away. Pontos too.

The Lusotanii have almost completed their conquest of all Iberia. I'm thinking I might FD Emporion off them in a few years, and give Arse to the Qarthadastim in 219BC.

Makedonia are slowly edging Koinon Hellenon out, Epeiros are still doing nothing, although their big stacks are moving around a little.

The Sab'yn are keeping Qarthadast busy in the desert. Although that might be why they're not doing much in Spain.

five more years till hannibal right? Then you have lose some battles. Be interesting to see if the AI can beat you.

five more years till hannibal right? Then you have lose some battles. Be interesting to see if the AI can beat you.
    Seven; I'm going to spawn him outside Capua post-"Cannae" rather than in the Alps and watch him march back to Spain.

i can't wait to see the second punic war!!

your not doing his march into Italy?
    No, it's pointless, he'll just march back to Spain if I put him in the Alps. Since I can't get the move_character command to work either, there'd be little I could do about it.

Instead I'll be giving Cisalpine Gaul and Liguria to the Arverni in 218BC, and in 216BC giving Capua to Qarthadast just before he appears in Campania.

221BC:

The situation in Spain, not long before it will spark things off. I didn't actually give Emporion to Koinon Hellenon - it rebelled not long after the Lusotanii took it. I did however give Arse to Qarthadast, in the hopes it might start them and the Lusotanii warring. No luck so far. The Lusotanii also took Tolosa, so I gave that to the Arverni in the hopes it might stabilise their conflict with the Aedui. For now the Sweboz seem quiet on the other side of the Rhine.

Makedon have basically won in Greece, I'm now having to restore provinces to Koinon Hellenon there every few turns to keep them around. Not too long before I can send an actual army there to redress the balance, and kick them out of Korinthos too.

Haven't put the Hannibal script in yet, but soon.

219BC:

It seems I've created a monster in helping those ungreatful Arverni. Two full stacks attacking Mediolanum, although both are about 50% Apeleutheroi, so likely useless. I'm going to sally out this turn and hopefully then get a pitched battle to wipe them out. I'm also taking the opportunity to recover Liguria, even if it won't be for long.

I'm hoping I've not tipped the balance in Gaul too far in their favour in my repeated rescues from the Aedui. You'll notice they have a lot of troops, though again they may mostly be freed slaves.

The create_unit cheat has been helpful in bolstering some of my FD activities, especially in stopping Koinon Hellenon losing provinces to Makedonia quite so fast. Annoyingly one of the armies I created in Spain for Qarthadast was immediately shipped to Africa to attack the Saba. The other two, however are still there. They won't attack the Lusotanii, though. Any way to make them go to war, or affect their relationship stats?

I just FD'd Emporion from Koinon Hellenon so I've got my base in Spain for the coming war. I need to finish with the Arverni quickly if I'm going to ship one of those armies over there.

Looks like another round of fixing the Seleukids is in order. This time I might give them some troops in the gifted settlements as well, so they don't lose them straight back again.

The Hannibal script is in, he appears in summer 216BC in Campania.

looking good man. Seems like a lot of work keeping everyone in line but it seems to be working. I am excited about the second Punic War!
    Since you have established yourself on the forums don't forget to visit the other active AARS and give your thoughts. Us AAR writers appreciate the input of other writers. It helps make the community stronger
    Keep up the good work!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast