Thread: Cannot find DirectX 9?

Default Cannot find DirectX 9?

Hey, first of all, I'm a huge fan of EB and I applaud you guys on a job excellently done. That being said, however, it seems my computer isn't as much of a fan, perhaps due to the massive scripts you've got running when I play :P

On a more serious note, though, I installed a fresh copy of R:TW, updated it to 1.5 and installed EB. When I click to play, the screen goes black, then after a few moments my monitor flicks to standby, then flicks back on and an error pops up saying (and I'm paraphrasing here) 'Rome: Total War could not locate DirectX9'. Thing is though, it's already installed.

So I'm stuck, and help would be much appreciated!

Default Re: Cannot find DirectX 9?

Those who would give up essential liberties for a perceived sense of security deserve neither liberty nor security--Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by dimmy52
    Thing is though, it's already installed.
    Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear, but DirectX is already installed, up to the latest version too. Just for good measure though, last night I tried to install DirectX again, but it wouldn't let me, probably because it's already installed. I've got other games that rely on DirectX, such as CoD4 and Neverwinter Nights and they work just fine.

The Rabbit Nibbler Member Korlon's Avatar

You could try uninstalling directX and then installing it again. Just because it says it's installed already doesn't mean there might not be an error with it.

Also, try reinstalling RTW and EB as well. Might be something with your installation of the game.
    Ongoing EB Campaigns:
    1.0 Pontos (245 BC)

Remanent or Supremacy - An EB Pontos AAR - Unfortunately postponed indefinitely.
    1.1 Saka Rauka Gameplay Guide
    1.1 Lusotannan Gameplay Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Korlon
    You could try uninstalling directX and then installing it again. Just because it says it's installed already doesn't mean there might not be an error with it.

Also, try reinstalling RTW and EB as well. Might be something with your installation of the game.
    I managed to get it to run. Apparently the intro movies were to blame, so I turned them off. Very strange...

Intro movies? You mean the CA-ones, or those made for EB?

If it's the latter (intro movies for campaigns) you could try and see if downloading & installing the codec mentioned in the announcement thread fixes it?
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.