Thread: Rush Build Orders

Default Rush Build Orders

Why oh why can't we rush completion of buildings in ONE turn instead of many many???

I've been wondering about this since the first days of Shogun:Total War!

I mean, honestly, I don't want to but by jingo, if I do, I've got the men, I've got the parts and I've got the money, too!

And it takes several months or years between turns so why can't we spend additional cash to rush buildings?!

Realistically, yes, maybe we can set a minimum time limit as to how fast a building can be completed as some things just can't be rushed for money or men but still, it should be a viable option...

E.g. For buildings that take 3 or less turns to build, we can rush them in 1 turn. For those taking more than 3 turns to build, the minimum time it takes to build could be 2 turns and of course, we'd be paying bucketloads extra to rush it. But at least, we have that option available!

-mir-

(All swear words must be completely edited out. -- Martok)
    Last edited by Martok; 04-22-2008 at 18:12.
    Clash of swords
    Thunder of hooves
    Blood rains
    Eternally so.

Default Re: Rush Build Orders

for some things that would be fantastic! Town halls, bars, advanced stables should all have a quick build option since they wherent really the largest structures.

A cathedral on the other hand is something that cannot be rushed, even in modern times they take years to complete!
    " . . . treachery and violence are spears pointed at both ends; they wound those who resort to them worse than their enemies."

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

you can do this using the dev console

hit the tilde (~`) button to open the console

type 'process_cq <settlement>'

where you replace <settlement> with the name of the settlement

ie. process_cq Constantinople

all buildings in the build queue will be instantly completed
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

Oooh. Nice. Thanks PhonicsMonkey.

Still, it'd be nice to be able to do it as part of the game and not having to resort to the ~ button... Heheh.

Edit: PS. Is that the ORIGINAL name of the settlement or the one I'm currently using? Because I've renamed all my cities to Turkish names - so Constantinople is now Istanbul.
    Last edited by mir; 04-22-2008 at 04:03.
    Clash of swords
    Thunder of hooves
    Blood rains
    Eternally so.

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

I don't know, sorry

haven't tried it on a re-named settlement
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

I believe if you change the name of the settlement, the game files will reflect it for that save and you should use the updated name instead.

If you change the name of a file on your computer, that's its new name. I would think the same thing applies to the descr_strat or whatever the file name is. I'm going to change the name of that file to "yeah, that file" so everyone knows which one I'm talking about.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

If you are France, for example, and conquer Jerusalem. Then you rename it to Salem and give it to the Pope who loses it to Mongols. Then after you have 50 provinces and return and retake Salem (Jerusalem) from the Mongols will you get a win message. Would you have to rename it back to Jerusalem to get the win? In other words are the city name changes linked to all references if you just modify it in the one location? This has some potential for messing with the AI, because if you rename a city which a particular AI always goes for such as the Mongols for Kiev or Antioch what will it do? Will it go to a secondary one? If the Russians rename Kiev "Sarkel" and rename Sarkel "Kiev" will the Mongols go to Sarkel for their Home? This could be fun if you could rename Paris "Kiev" and Dijon "Antioch".

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

As my understanding of computer programming is limited, I can only offer the following opinion:

The Mongols and other AI factions do not respond to the name of the settlement. You could call it "swiss cheese" and they would still attack that settlement.

They are more likely programmed to move towards a settlement at X, Y coordinates on the map. The programming is simple, it cannot intuit or plan anything. All it does is simulate intelligence, it does not actually posess any. The computer has no idea that there is a settlement at coordinates X, Y or even what a settlement is or means. It doesn't know anything at all. It simply is a set of logical instructions paired with a very limited data bank. You can change the label of the entity known as a settlement, but unless you change the coding to signify a new X, Y coordiate target, it will not matter.

In other words, the computer doesn't care what is inside the text box labelling any general, faction name, or settlement. All the text that appears on the screen and all the graphics are meaningless. The core of the game remains intact and the AI instructions remain the same until they are changed by a programmer.

This is why the game can be so easily modded to include a new map. Easily being a relative term of course.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 04-22-2008 at 14:08.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

OK, is there a modder out there who can answer this question? This would be a huge, wonderful, exploit/cheat and as a lawyer I am always looking for new ways to exploit and cheat.